[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

14 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Maybe this is a YMMV kinda thing? I've never had an issue with a Titan either on KSRSS or JNSQ.  What goes wrong?

Depends on where you use these engines. Ascent stages mostly fly OK. Orbital stages (like LDC upper stage with LR-87, or lighter Titan II builds like 23G) may end up in improper orbit.

Hey, been out of the loop for a while.  Seems that the old download link is gone and people are talking about a new KSRSS Reborn pack.   Any difference between this and the old version.    A

Also, any timeline on when it might be released?  Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Tundra said:

Hey, been out of the loop for a while.  Seems that the old download link is gone and people are talking about a new KSRSS Reborn pack.   Any difference between this and the old version.    A

Also, any timeline on when it might be released?  Thanks!

Optimizations, better graphics, better textures, and also up to date with the latest KSP version and actively maintained. I'm sure there's more new stuff I am forgetting. 

Also, there is a stable WIP download available right now. You can find it here: https://gitlab.com/ksrss/KSRSS/-/tree/reborn

I haven't had any problems with it so far, but if you wanna use parallax ( it has support for that too ) you have to remove _Configs from Parallax_StockTextures. Otherwise the game freaks out

Spent today getting KSRSS Reborn working, plus the usual visual mods: EVE, Scatterer, Katnisss's Cape Canaveral (Truthful Gnome's fork), Parallax 2.0, TUFX, PlanetShine, DOE, etc.

Runs at 55-60 FPS (with fans on quite loud) on my work machine (which I can fortunately use for gaming), specs are: NVidia GTX 3090Ti LC 24Gb GPU + AMD 3970x 32 Core CPU + 64Gb RAM + Gen4 SSD).

unknown.png?width=2124&height=1194

KSP was using 22Gb of RAM, GPU was pegged at 100% and using 14Gb of GPU RAM. The CPU however was at about 8%. Obviously I was maxing out absolutely everything, so I'd probably wait for the release with different texture scales and pick and choose what visual mods to use depending on the machine spec.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

Using KSRSS Reborn at it's default scale (they say it's 2.7x but if feels like 5x because orbital speed is 5.1km/s thats absurd) with BDB rockets seem to fall short compared to the capabilities of the real-life rockets.

Ex: launched an  Apollo-Saturn, and I was barely able to achieve a lunar flyby even after using the LM as extra dV

Am I doing something wrong? 

1 hour ago, Socowez said:

Possibly.

I've been using BDB in reborn for a while now and to me it feels perfectly balanced (as all things should be). You may be using inefficient or too demanding launch trajectories, that's the main thing I can think of.

If I could get a look at your MechJeb settings (if that's what you're using), or a description of your launch profile that'd be great.

2 hours ago, Socowez said:

Using KSRSS Reborn at it's default scale (they say it's 2.7x but if feels like 5x because orbital speed is 5.1km/s thats absurd) with BDB rockets seem to fall short compared to the capabilities of the real-life rockets.

Ex: launched an  Apollo-Saturn, and I was barely able to achieve a lunar flyby even after using the LM as extra dV

Are you absolutely sure you don't have Sigma Dimensions left over from pre-Reborn?

From my experience, BDB Saturn V in Apollo 17 configuration (LRV and all) should put a full S-IVB to about 130x130km, 28deg orbit, with a bit of fuel left in S-II. It may need a short puff from S-IVB if you have something heavier, but in any case S-IVB should have more than enough fuel for TLI.

11 hours ago, Socowez said:

Using KSRSS Reborn at it's default scale (they say it's 2.7x but if feels like 5x because orbital speed is 5.1km/s thats absurd)

How big is Earth in game?  Look at the planet information in the Tracking Station and tells us what it says.

12 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Are you absolutely sure you don't have Sigma Dimensions left over from pre-Reborn?

From my experience, BDB Saturn V in Apollo 17 configuration (LRV and all) should put a full S-IVB to about 130x130km, 28deg orbit, with a bit of fuel left in S-II. It may need a short puff from S-IVB if you have something heavier, but in any case S-IVB should have more than enough fuel for TLI.

:P

so I was indeed playing 2.5x stock system before downloading KSRSS reborn. I got rid of all the mods that would conflict, AVP, KSC extended, Better Kerbol and all the other shenanigans. But I removed the "Sigma" folder instead of the "SigmaDimensions" folder. 

From where I was playing, the atmosphere's end was a very specific number around 97,320 m so that should've told me something wasn't right. That was a derp on my part guys thanks for the support though

3 hours ago, OhioBob said:

How big is Earth in game?  Look at the planet information in the Tracking Station and tells us what it says.

It was almost 4 million meters in radius from what I remember. 

I've run into another problem. After removing SigmaDimensions, clouds don't load. Scatterer works, EVE cloudsmanager works, but clouds fail to appear in main menu, flight and tracking station. I looked through my KSP log and saw some errors with EVE cloudsmanager. I could upload screenshots if needed.

25 minutes ago, Socowez said:

I've run into another problem. After removing SigmaDimensions, clouds don't load. Scatterer works, EVE cloudsmanager works, but clouds fail to appear in main menu, flight and tracking station. I looked through my KSP log and saw some errors with EVE cloudsmanager. I could upload screenshots if needed.

Clouds working fine here, even in main menu (which is kinda new to me - no clouds in MM used to be a bug no one paid attention to). For the starters, check your versions of EVE and Scatterer - Reborn needs the latest ones. Also check if you have any visual packs.

TBH, it would be better to reassemble your mod loadout from scratch, using a pristine KSP install as a base. Looks like you may have too many leftovers from your past install.

51 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Clouds working fine here, even in main menu (which is kinda new to me - no clouds in MM used to be a bug no one paid attention to). For the starters, check your versions of EVE and Scatterer - Reborn needs the latest ones. Also check if you have any visual packs.

TBH, it would be better to reassemble your mod loadout from scratch, using a pristine KSP install as a base. Looks like you may have too many leftovers from your past install.

how would I obtain a pristine KSP install? simply uninstalling and reinstalling with steam keeps all of my mods.

3 minutes ago, Socowez said:

how would I obtain a pristine KSP install? simply uninstalling and reinstalling with steam keeps all of my mods.

Rename "Kerbal Space Program" folder to something else ("KSP 1.12" for example) then uninstall and reinstall from Steam. This is also my method to easily switch between multiple installs

3 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

No EVE configs, latest EVE and Scatterer. No clouds.

Just reassembled my whole modlist from scratch through a pristine install. No clouds.

It has to be incompatibility with another mod right? That's the only thing I can think of that would be possible in my instance. I've checked and double checked that I have the mod installed along with all dependencies.

Here's my KSP log again with the pristine install. Any help is appreciated.

1 hour ago, DasBear1 said:

How did you get parallax to work with KSRSS?

delete the "_Configs" folder in "Parallax_StockTextures" . KSRSS even has built-in support for it, adds gilly scatters to Phobos and Deimos and the like

1 hour ago, Socowez said:

delete the "_Configs" folder in "Parallax_StockTextures" . KSRSS even has built-in support for it, adds gilly scatters to Phobos and Deimos and the like

Thank you!  That fixed it.  One more question though, is Earth supposed to look this bright/pixelated?  And is the North pole supposed to be this dark with the band going across the night and day side?

https://imgur.com/a/vUdGb4g

(Link for images)

8 minutes ago, DasBear1 said:

Thank you!  That fixed it.  One more question though, is Earth supposed to look this bright/pixelated?  And is the North pole supposed to be this dark with the band going across the night and day side?

https://imgur.com/a/vUdGb4g

(Link for images)

First, that band is called the Aurora Borealis, it's intentional and a real thing.

Second, do you have Scatterer installed? Because you should and it wouldn't look like that if you did.

8 minutes ago, Socowez said:

First, that band is called the Aurora Borealis, it's intentional and a real thing.

Second, do you have Scatterer installed? Because you should and it wouldn't look like that if you did.

I know about the Aurora, but do you see the black line going down the "side" of the Earth?

I do, but is there a specific version of Scatterer that I am supposed to use?  Should I just try and delete and reinstall Scatterer?

3 hours ago, TheKrakenHerder said:

Could someone please shoot me an installation guide for this? Thanks!

1) download KSRSS here: gitlab.com/ksrss/KSRSS/-/tree/reborn

- Click the Download button next to the blue "Clone" button to download. Drop the "KSRSS" file into GameData. If you want higher res ground textures, drop everything inside of "KSRSS-64K" into "KSRSS" in GameData.

2) Then download Kronometer: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kronometer/releases/tag/v1.11.0-1

- Download the Kronometer v1.11.0.zip file, open it, open the GameData folder inside, and drop "Kronometer" into GameData.

3) Download Kopernicus: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases

- Grab the Kopernicus-1.12.1-139.zip from the latest release, open it, and drop Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, and 000_Harmony into GameData.

4) Download Custom Barn Kit: https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/CustomBarnKit/48/artifact/CustomBarnKit-1.1.22.0.zip (BEWARE this link downloads the file directly, doesn't lead you to a site to download. Click and you've got it)

-Open the zip file and drop "CustomBarnKit' into GameData. Some mods have a GameData folder inside of the download to make it easier for people to know where to put the files, it's usually dropping the stuff from the download's GameData into KSP's GameData, but CBK doesn't have that

5) Get EVE and Scatterer too, download procedure is the same as most for those (I could help here too if the download is still confusing). If you want plants and rocks then get Parallax. 

That's the planet pack and visuals downloaded. If you want Cape Canaveral from real life, follow this: 

1) Download Kerbal Konstructs: https://github.com/KSP-RO/Kerbal-Konstructs/releases/tag/v1.8.5.0

- Drop KerbalKonstructs from download's GameData into KSP's GameData. 

2) Download Custom Pre Launch Checks (KK dependency): https://github.com/KSP-RO/CustomPreLaunchChecks/releases/tag/1.8.1.1

- Drop CustomPreLaunchChecks from download's GameData into KSP's GameData.

3) Then download KatnissCapeCanaveral: https://github.com/Truthfulll/KatnisssCapeCanaveral-KSRSS/releasDroes/tag/1.0

- Download the source code .zip. Open it and you should see a GameData folder, inside it is the "KatnissCapeCanaveral" folder. Drop the KCC folder into your GameData.

Recommended parts mods would be BDB and Modular Launch Pads. If you want to play career, get Skyhawk Science System and Contract Configurator.

That should be everything, feel free to ask if you run into any problems!

10 hours ago, DasBear1 said:

I know about the Aurora, but do you see the black line going down the "side" of the Earth?

I do, but is there a specific version of Scatterer that I am supposed to use?  Should I just try and delete and reinstall Scatterer?

The latest version of scatterer is meant to be used with KSRSS Reborn. Delete scatterer in GameData and replace it with the latest release.

As for the black line, I think that's the Day/Night terminator, but the dark side of the earth should be completely black. As said, latest scatterer should fix it.

17 hours ago, Socowez said:

No EVE configs, latest EVE and Scatterer. No clouds.

Just reassembled my whole modlist from scratch through a pristine install. No clouds.

It has to be incompatibility with another mod right? That's the only thing I can think of that would be possible in my instance. I've checked and double checked that I have the mod installed along with all dependencies.

Here's my KSP log again with the pristine install. Any help is appreciated.

Resolved, I guess the first time I downloaded the mod it didn't work. Downloaded a new copy and it works fine.

Edit: After a tad more testing, it looks like the 64k ground textures are causing missing clouds. Maybe I'm installing them wrong?

Edited by Socowez

14 hours ago, Socowez said:

The latest version of scatterer is meant to be used with KSRSS Reborn. Delete scatterer in GameData and replace it with the latest release.

As for the black line, I think that's the Day/Night terminator, but the dark side of the earth should be completely black. As said, latest scatterer should fix it.

So I deleted Scatterer, reinstalled it, and saw that that did nothing so I messed around to see what several mods were doing.  The top photo is AVP on a stock save, we see there that it has basically everything we're going for (Atmo scattering, little orange divider thing, the whole shabang), then we've got KSRSS without EVE or Scatterer, KSRSS with Scatterer but not EVE, and at the last of the comparison photos we see EVE and Scatterer.  The rest of the photos are to try and help give context to see what might be wrong.  Thanks again.

https://imgur.com/a/McapnbS

I've done a comparison between JNSQ, KSRSS 0.7, and KSRSS Reborn. I did this because as you'll see in the pictures, KSRSS Reborn has a difference that seems odd (i.e. problematic for me), and I'm wondering if this is expected performance.

What you'll see below are 3 pictures of a flight that is duplicated on each planet pack as closely as possible. The .craft file is literally the same file between all 3 installs. JNSQ is launching from the KSC (so ~5 degrees), KSRSS 0.7 is launching from Kourou, and the Reborn launch was from Florida. So there's an inclination difference, but I don't think that explains anything seen below. I've kept the UI fully visible so you can see how close the situation is between all 3 shots. But as you can see, Reborn has significant atmospheric heating (and it's been going for a while at the point of the picture), yet the flight situation is almost identical to the other flights that do not have this effect happening - and in my opinion, should not have this effect happening. This is a very standard PVG ascent that has worked for years on both KSRSS and JNSQ.

Because I super-nerded out over this, I also measured the atmospheric pressure at altitudes in increments of 5000m. The curve of all 3 planet packs, in practice, is nearly identical, and small differences are probably just measurement inaccuracies. So, I can't explain why this is happening, but I kinda hate it. I realize it's a very KSP-ish thing to cook your payload on ascent but a) I don't do that, and b) it shouldn't be happening with this profile, and indeed, doesn't happen in other environments.

The images are in the following spoiler. Any thoughts?

Spoiler

JNSQ:

UMJrZGJ.png

KSRSS 0.7:

MM69I5m.png

Reborn:

oKrc7wc.png

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I've done a comparison between JNSQ, KSRSS 0.7, and KSRSS Reborn. I did this because as you'll see in the pictures, KSRSS Reborn has a difference that seems odd (i.e. problematic for me), and I'm wondering if this is expected performance.

What you'll see below are 3 pictures of a flight that is duplicated on each planet pack as closely as possible. The .craft file is literally the same file between all 3 installs. JNSQ is launching from the KSC (so ~5 degrees), KSRSS 0.7 is launching from Kourou, and the Reborn launch was from Florida. So there's an inclination difference, but I don't think that explains anything seen below. I've kept the UI fully visible so you can see how close the situation is between all 3 shots. But as you can see, Reborn has significant atmospheric heating (and it's been going for a while at the point of the picture), yet the flight situation is almost identical to the other flights that do not have this effect happening - and in my opinion, should not have this effect happening. This is a very standard PVG ascent that has worked for years on both KSRSS and JNSQ.

Because I super-nerded out over this, I also measured the atmospheric pressure at altitudes in increments of 5000m. The curve of all 3 planet packs, in practice, is nearly identical, and small differences are probably just measurement inaccuracies. So, I can't explain why this is happening, but I kinda hate it. I realize it's a very KSP-ish thing to cook your payload on ascent but a) I don't do that, and b) it shouldn't be happening with this profile, and indeed, doesn't happen in other environments.

The images are in the following spoiler. Any thoughts?

I've reported this happening some time ago. Thanks for confirmation and for in-depth analysis.