[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I've done a comparison between JNSQ, KSRSS 0.7, and KSRSS Reborn. I did this because as you'll see in the pictures, KSRSS Reborn has a difference that seems odd (i.e. problematic for me), and I'm wondering if this is expected performance.

What you'll see below are 3 pictures of a flight that is duplicated on each planet pack as closely as possible. The .craft file is literally the same file between all 3 installs. JNSQ is launching from the KSC (so ~5 degrees), KSRSS 0.7 is launching from Kourou, and the Reborn launch was from Florida. So there's an inclination difference, but I don't think that explains anything seen below. I've kept the UI fully visible so you can see how close the situation is between all 3 shots. But as you can see, Reborn has significant atmospheric heating (and it's been going for a while at the point of the picture), yet the flight situation is almost identical to the other flights that do not have this effect happening - and in my opinion, should not have this effect happening. This is a very standard PVG ascent that has worked for years on both KSRSS and JNSQ.

Because I super-nerded out over this, I also measured the atmospheric pressure at altitudes in increments of 5000m. The curve of all 3 planet packs, in practice, is nearly identical, and small differences are probably just measurement inaccuracies. So, I can't explain why this is happening, but I kinda hate it. I realize it's a very KSP-ish thing to cook your payload on ascent but a) I don't do that, and b) it shouldn't be happening with this profile, and indeed, doesn't happen in other environments.

The images are in the following spoiler. Any thoughts?

Hide contents

JNSQ:

UMJrZGJ.png

KSRSS 0.7:

MM69I5m.png

Reborn:

oKrc7wc.png

Thanks for the detailed report! This is now fixed on the gitlab.

On 10/15/2022 at 1:23 AM, Socowez said:

delete the "_Configs" folder in "Parallax_StockTextures" . KSRSS even has built-in support for it, adds gilly scatters to Phobos and Deimos and the like

I was having some severe lag when entering earth orbit that seems to have been resolved when I deleted "parallax_stocktextures\_scatterers\configs".

Is that also a folder needed to be removed or should I be seeking something else causing the lag?

It looks like sometimes in the tracking station, the moon turns into a black hole.

FfZElMQX0AAFTUO?format=jpg&name=large

I checked in map and in flight, it only does it in the tracking station.

It happened to me when I exited timewarp. It could be caused by another mod since I've got many of those. 

my KSP log if you need it. Could be undecipherable though (because of the sheer amount of mods).

So i have been using reborn lately and When i land at the north pole of mars i have No snow, is this a bug or is it meant to be like that? and i have alot of lag

Edit: So i installed the new update of Reborn and it doesnt load its shows that fail loading screen from kopernicus. it was because of Kopernicus foodprint mod, it doesnt support it i guess?

Edited by CalvonVulcan

9 hours ago, CalvonVulcan said:

So i have been using reborn lately and When i land at the north pole of mars i have No snow, is this a bug or is it meant to be like that? and i have alot of lag

Edit: So i installed the new update of Reborn and it doesnt load its shows that fail loading screen from kopernicus. it was because of Kopernicus foodprint mod, it doesnt support it i guess?

I'm using KSRSS Reborn with both of these fine, but finding the latest version of the plugin for footprints took a time. Here's what I'm using:

- Kopernicus: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases Release 139 (also is what CKAN will install)

- KEX Plugins: https://github.com/VabienArt/KopernicusExpansion-Continueder/releases/download/Beta9-1.11/KEX-Plugins.zip

I've noticed that the latest Gitlab update disables KSRSS contracts if no "unkerballed" tech tree is installed.

Can you please provide an optional patch that reverts this? Contracts work fine on stock tech tree, and installing one of "unkerballed" trees is a no-no for me, since none of these provide full support for all my part mods.

9 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

I've noticed that the latest Gitlab update disables KSRSS contracts if no "unkerballed" tech tree is installed.

Can you please provide an optional patch that reverts this? Contracts work fine on stock tech tree, and installing one of "unkerballed" trees is a no-no for me, since none of these provide full support for all my part mods.

The issue is the contracts don't work fine. You can't complete the first KSRSS contracts with the first node of the stock tech tree. The solution is to play with the stock contracts. But if you installed Contract Configurator (to add a contract pack such as Tourism Plus or others), KSRSS will remove the stock contracts (because it assumes you want to play with the KSRSS contracts). And this is quite bad because it creates a hard dependency on an uncrewed tech tree to play KSRSS in career. What the latest commit does is to enable the KSRSS contracts and remove the stock contracts only if an uncrewed tech tree is installed. That way, you can play with other contract packs with the stock tech tree.

10 minutes ago, tony48 said:

The issue is the contracts don't work fine. You can't complete the first KSRSS contracts with the first node of the stock tech tree. The solution is to play with the stock contracts. But if you installed Contract Configurator (to add a contract pack such as Tourism Plus or others), KSRSS will remove the stock contracts (because it assumes you want to play with the KSRSS contracts). And this is quite bad because it creates a hard dependency on an uncrewed tech tree to play KSRSS in career. What the latest commit does is to enable the KSRSS contracts and remove the stock contracts only if an uncrewed tech tree is installed. That way, you can play with other contract packs with the stock tech tree.

Okay, I can see logic in that. However, there are mods that add probes to the start node (BDB, for example), which makes it possible to complete KSRSS contracts without custom tech tree.

Are there any future updates planned for contracts? If there's no optional patch, I'll just remove this update and replace files.

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

However, there are mods that add probes to the start node (BDB, for example), which makes it possible to complete KSRSS contracts without custom tech tree.

I didn't know that. I will add a patch to enable the KSRSS contracts without an uncrewed tech tree.

EDIT : Done! It is now in the Extras folder

Edited by tony48

I have been trying to get this mod installed for a few hours now. The lack of instructions on the page here (or my stupidly absurd ignorance to reading things lol) has made me scour the internet to find how I actually can install this thing. I have gotten the megapack KSRSS folder and kopernicus in there, and everything works, except for the fact it loads the stock system and not the solar system. I feel like I have been going in circles and it is starting to frustrate me a little bit. How can I get this to work?

8 hours ago, CosmicHound said:

I have been trying to get this mod installed for a few hours now. The lack of instructions on the page here (or my stupidly absurd ignorance to reading things lol) has made me scour the internet to find how I actually can install this thing. I have gotten the megapack KSRSS folder and kopernicus in there, and everything works, except for the fact it loads the stock system and not the solar system. I feel like I have been going in circles and it is starting to frustrate me a little bit. How can I get this to work?

The installation instructions have been removed because the mod isn't in a stable state. However, if you still want to play it:

1. Install Kopernicus
  2. Install Kronometer
  3. Install Custom Barn Kit
  4. Download the reborn branch of KSRSS. Place the KSRSS folder in your GameData.
  5. Please note that KSRSS is now 2.7 times bigger than stock size (same size as JNSQ). If you prefer to play at a smaller size, change the SystemScale to Stock in KSRSS/Configuration.cfg.
Edited by tony48

1 hour ago, tony48 said:

The installation instructions have been removed because the mod isn't in a stable state. However, if you still want to play it:

1. Install Kopernicus
  2. Install Kronometer
  3. Install Custom Barn Kit
  4. Download the reborn branch of KSRSS. Place the KSRSS folder in your GameData.
  5. Please note that KSRSS is now 2.7 times bigger than stock size (same size as JNSQ). If you prefer to play at a smaller size, change the SystemScale to Stock in KSRSS/Configuration.cfg.

Yes, I have done all of this. I think that the game recognizes that KSRSS is installed, but just doesn't load the stock system? Like the option at the beginning to change the resolution and all of that is there, just when I go into the game it is still the stock system.

10 minutes ago, CosmicHound said:

Yes, I have done all of this. I think that the game recognizes that KSRSS is installed, but just doesn't load the stock system? Like the option at the beginning to change the resolution and all of that is there, just when I go into the game it is still the stock system.

You installed KSRSS megapack, which is the old KSRSS. Use the link I put in the instructions to download the new KSRSS.

13 minutes ago, tony48 said:

You installed KSRSS megapack, which is the old KSRSS. Use the link I put in the instructions to download the new KSRSS.

Well, it turns out im just an idiot lmfao. i installed module manager wrong without realizing it ahaha. thanks for the help tho man.

8 hours ago, Wheat Bread said:

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Image: https://imgur.com/gallery/AonQa0r

That too

8 hours ago, Wheat Bread said:

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Image: https://imgur.com/gallery/AonQa0r

You also have to provide your log file from  C:\Users\(NAME)\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program

Have people been having success running the KSRSS reborn beta? I'm trying to decide on a planet pack to finally do a run through of my tech tree and check balance and all that good stuff, and have almsot settled on KSRSS. I just want to make sure other people have had success with it so I don't start and than find out midway thru that something is completely borked