[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

25 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

I also supplied a "Where Can I Go?" config for KSRSS Reborn which is now included, that's a mod that shows you all the delta-V for everywhere in game in a table, in the editor. I find it a great first pass "this design might get there". (Basically the delta-V map, but the computer does the maths for you).

I'd still recommend final checks of actual Delta-V map and KRASH simulations :-)

3GK3CRA.jpg'

Oh wow, I had no idea this existed. Thank you so much!

13 hours ago, DA299 said:

Hey so I have another issue, I got no snow near Earth's poles, just water. Is this an issue with my install, or just how its supposed to be?

I see snow from orbit in mine. I've got no visual mods running at the moment - it took me a while to figure out what was causing my chutes not to work, so I kept removing anything I could live without. Turned out I just had to click the button to open the service bay the chutes were in. Otherwise the animation of them opening happens, but they don't slow you.

If I ever get the tech to fly there, I'll let you know what it looks like from the ground.

I noticed yesterday that KSRSS Reborn has finally appeared on github, I installed the 64k version and oh man, its just like RVE64k, my dream has finally come true. I earlier used the 2.7x reborn version from gitlab, this one seems to be back at 2.5x. I have a few issues though, I get strange black artifacts on the horizon, and if parallax is installed kopernicus just refuses to load the KSRSS solar system: „Failed to load custom planetary system modifyer“. Parallax configs seem to be present in the „Terrain“ folder of KSRSS reborn. I already removed the „configs“ folder from „parallax_stocktextures“, it worked in my previous installment of KSRSS reborn from gitlab. My system specs are: I7-12700kf, RX6800xt, 64gb of ddr4. Help would be greatly appreciated.  

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

The last commit to that repo was 4 months ago. The last commit on Gitlab was a week ago. You're looking at a very old repo.

@Cerious
IIRC, thats the last "official" release, and is for use w/Parallax 1...

Also, IIRC, the one on Gitlab, is "pre-release" testing for Parallax *v2.0*...

Should prolly do research into the differences/support, before trying to use Parallax v2.0 on the "official" release, or merging the Gitlab version into a pre-v2.0 install ;)

Hopefully someone who knows specifics will chime in :P

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

@Cerious
IIRC, thats the last "official" release, and is for use w/Parallax 1...

Also, IIRC, the one on Gitlab, is "pre-release" testing for Parallax *v2.0*...

Should prolly do research into the differences/support, before trying to use Parallax v2.0 on the "official" release, or merging the Gitlab version into a pre-v2.0 install ;)

Hopefully someone who knows specifics will chime in :P

Pretty much as I understand it.

BallisticFox started out doing Gas Giant expansion for KSRSS, then moved onto resurrecting it, before finally moving over to join working together on Gitlab. So GitLab is the official source, GitHub an old fork of pre-Reborn. I believe that's the story.

The "reborn" branch on GitLab is a pre-release preview of what's coming next including the work that BallisticFox did, and yes, includes newer Parallax 2.0 support. I'm currently using this, and it's amazing. It can take a bit of fiddling to get installed right, particularly if you want to use Parallax 2.

My suggestion is use the official one and CKAN and Parallax 1.x if you just want things to work and don't feel like using Git, command lines and trawling through forum posts.

24 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Pretty much as I understand it.

BallisticFox started out doing Gas Giant expansion for KSRSS, then moved onto resurrecting it, before finally moving over to join working together on Gitlab. So GitLab is the official source, GitHub an old fork of pre-Reborn. I believe that's the story.

The "reborn" branch on GitLab is a pre-release preview of what's coming next including the work that BallisticFox did, and yes, includes newer Parallax 2.0 support. I'm currently using this, and it's amazing. It can take a bit of fiddling to get installed right, particularly if you want to use Parallax 2.

My suggestion is use the official one and CKAN and Parallax 1.x if you just want things to work and don't feel like using Git, command lines and trawling through forum posts.

I previously used the 2.7x version from Gitlab, but there is no notable visual modification there for it, since Sol got removed. Is there a way to achieve something visually similar to KSRSS 64k and have working Parallax 2.0?

20 minutes ago, Cerious said:

I previously used the 2.7x version from Gitlab, but there is no notable visual modification there for it, since Sol got removed. Is there a way to achieve something visually similar to KSRSS 64k and have working Parallax 2.0?

Above should be correct, but it requires a bit of fiddling. It works great for me, looks as good as I remember KSRSS 64K.

Just be aware, needs a decent machine to run on (I use my work machine a 32 core CPU, 64GB and a 24GB 3090ti), and even then loading will be much longer, pauses before game finishes loading (5secs) and occasional long pauses due to demand loading huge textures.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

9 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

This works great for me, looks as good as I remember KSRSS 64K.

Just be aware, needs a decent machine to run on.

6800xt/12700k under the hood, thanks for the fast reply!

51 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Above should be correct, but it requires a bit of fiddling. It works great for me, looks as good as I remember KSRSS 64K.

Just be aware, needs a decent machine to run on (I use my work machine a 32 core CPU, 64GB and a 24GB 3090ti), and even then loading will be much longer, pauses before game finishes loading (5secs) and occasional long pauses due to demand loading huge textures.

Thank you a lot! It looks absolutely gorgeous! Just installed it and it blew my mind!

On 12/4/2022 at 1:59 PM, septemberWaves said:

Does this work with Principia? I know it's based on RSS but I don't know enough about gravitation to know whether n-body effects behave the same when you scale masses and distances by the same factor.

Yes, KSRSS works with Principia.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi community.
I've rebuilt a well known tool initially designed for the stock game,  which is a help to build a constellation of satellites around a celestial body.

The modification consists in choosing your KSRSS variant: KSRSS x1 (Megapack), KSRSS x2.5 (Megapack + Sigma Dimensions), KSRSS Stock (Reborn ~x1), KSRSS Default (Reborn x2.7)

image.png

Choose
1/ Your Game
2/ The celestial body you want to work with
3/ If the constellation is coming from the inside or the outside of the SOI
4/ The number of satellites you want for your constellation
5/ The final altitude for the constellation

/!\ Do not hesitate to save the Spreasheet in your personal drive to have a full control on its content.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16wA1H-l37AvMUj84169griVF_M6ieckYmgp5cJtZssg/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

On 12/19/2022 at 4:38 AM, NotMyProblem said:

Any chance of this making it to CKAN? Would hate to keep downloading new updates...

That's the main reason it's not on CKAN, personally I believe it's not a great move to make players redownload 2gbs every week or so.

I highly suggest you download github desktop and make a local clone of the repo so it only downloads what it needs, and just copy that to gamedata.

Hey, for some reason some of the clouds aren't working and some stuff on Earth isn't working. I believe this is an KSRSS EVE issue.  I am unable to apply most of the clouds for some reason. Here is a google drive with image examples and my logs. 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ks8X7-qqrjUNxelRuyRJ0cZojH2R8S5j?usp=sharing  

Edited by CosmicHound

On 12/20/2022 at 7:01 PM, CosmicHound said:

Hey, for some reason some of the clouds aren't working and some stuff on Earth isn't working. I believe this is an KSRSS EVE issue.  I am unable to apply most of the clouds for some reason. Here is a google drive with image examples and my logs. 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ks8X7-qqrjUNxelRuyRJ0cZojH2R8S5j?usp=sharing  

Okay three things

1. Verify you don't have any extra EVE configs like the extremely old KSRSSVE, BoulderCo, AVP, SVE, Spectra, etc as those mods won't be able to find the bodies they need to apply the layers to and will stop the entire process. (You have boulderCo, remove it)

2. Make sure you're using the latest commits from the GitLab repo

3. The log you attached didn't finish loading so I can't see what exactly is causing the issue. Restart your game, go to the tracking station, take a screenshot, then close your game. Zip and upload your log to a file sharing site and post it again.

:)

2 hours ago, ballisticfox0 said:

Okay three things

1. Verify you don't have any extra EVE configs like the extremely old KSRSSVE, BoulderCo, AVP, SVE, Spectra, etc as those mods won't be able to find the bodies they need to apply the layers to and will stop the entire process. (You have boulderCo, remove it)

2. Make sure you're using the latest commits from the GitLab repo

3. The log you attached didn't finish loading so I can't see what exactly is causing the issue. Restart your game, go to the tracking station, take a screenshot, then close your game. Zip and upload your log to a file sharing site and post it again.

:)

Thank you very much. BoulderCo was the issue.