[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

573 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

Is the city lights working for anyone else? I have the latest EVE, so they aren't flickering, but they still show up when they shouldn't: image.png?width=1205&height=761

I did the trick of pressing 'apply' in the EVE city lights manager options, and that does fix it, but only temporally. If I do I scene change, the fix is reverted. So far the only fix I can think of is disabling the city lights.

3 hours ago, Rodger said:

Is the city lights working for anyone else? I have the latest EVE, so they aren't flickering, but they still show up when they shouldn't: image.png?width=1205&height=761

I did the trick of pressing 'apply' in the EVE city lights manager options, and that does fix it, but only temporally. If I do I scene change, the fix is reverted. So far the only fix I can think of is disabling the city lights.

The city lights work fine for me. I didn't touch any of the settings at all.

7 hours ago, Dafni said:

If ever we get a full release of KSRSS with proper Parallax- and EVE volumetric configs it will be a glorious day indeed!!

Many many thanks in advance to all the contibutors to this lovely mod.

I wish parallax works correctly for me even though I did all the steps such as deleting the config files to get it to working but it hasn't. 

Could just be a personal problem but I wish it could get fixed soon.

11 hours ago, foy said:

I wish parallax works correctly for me even though I did all the steps such as deleting the config files to get it to working but it hasn't.

Are you talking about the stock system or KSRSS??

If there are Parallax configs for KSRSS flying around I must have missed them... but I dont read each and ever post anymore, rather wait for a full release.

11 hours ago, Dafni said:

If there are Parallax configs for KSRSS flying around I must have missed them... but I dont read each and ever post anymore, rather wait for a full release.

KSRSS, but for me the parallax configs don't seem to work, or there just isn't any currently in the ksrss reborn folder. Stock system parallax works well for me however.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, 610yesnolovely said:

Above should be correct, but it requires a bit of fiddling. It works great for me, looks as good as I remember KSRSS 64K.

Just be aware, needs a decent machine to run on (I use my work machine a 32 core CPU, 64GB and a 24GB 3090ti), and even then loading will be much longer, pauses before game finishes loading (5secs) and occasional long pauses due to demand loading huge textures.

13 hours ago, Dafni said:

2 hours ago, foy said:

KSRSS, but for me the parallax configs don't seem to work, or there just isn't any currently in the ksrss reborn folder. Stock system parallax works well for me however.

KSRSS has Parallax suport.  First quote has instructions on how to get it to work.

1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

What is the reccomended ascent profile for 2.5? I still have ascent troubles and Dv issues after 6 months of playing this mod.

How much dV do you need to reach orbit? Also, the current KSRSS is 2.7X stock scale, maybe that's messing with your ascent in some way?

I personally have never followed any specific ascent profile(s), I just do what 'feels' ok to me. Mostly that involves pointing the ship vector at the lowest point of the prograde 'circle' , waiting for it to drop down, and then repeating the process. 

2 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

What is the reccomended ascent profile for 2.5? I still have ascent troubles and Dv issues after 6 months of playing this mod.

MechJeb 2.0. While not perfect, MechJeb will provide you with a smooth ride all the way uphill, ending with a nice, very nearly circular orbit. I am currently playing the older (non-Reborn) KSRSS on 2.5x, flying mostly BDB and SOCK. 

There are a few caveats. First, the MechJeb learning curve is steep, and it can be frustrating at first. There are a lot of parameters to consider as MJ is loaded with features. I use only about 25% of the features so it is not as daunting as it may seem, once you get used to it. Second, it is an extraordinarily complex software program, and even though the dev team has done an amazing job replicating spacecraft operating parameters, there are a few things that are just a little wonky. Play it and you will find them. Be prepared for some occasional weirdness. 

All in all it is a great complement to KSRSS. 

6 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I usually ascend using stock SAS, not Mechjeb. Accelerate straight up to approximately 100 m/s velocity, gently nose over 10 degrees with the D key (assuming your rocket rotation has east to the right side of the navball) to start a gravity turn, set SAS to prograde and your rocket should gently tip over.

If you're tipping a little too quickly or slowly stay in prograde SAS and tap the A/D keys to slightly adjust your ascent angle. If you're tipping much too quickly or slowly, change SAS to heading hold then use A/D.

The 100 m/s point to start your gravity turn should be delayed if you are using a low TWR stage; build up a bit more vertical speed before turning.

If your rocket is high TWR, expect a bit of a fiery ascent due to nose heating. Throttle back if needed.

A good guideline I've read is to keep your apoapsis approximately 50 seconds ahead during the later parts of your gravity turn. If it gets too far ahead your rocket might be aimed too high, or you have excess thrust and can throttle back.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, bQuest said:

Why do some people claim to have the mod? The download says coming soon. Is it an early access type thing?

Welcome to the forum!  In the future, reading through the last 2, maybe 3 pages of posts might help out!

Anyway, here's the link https://gitlab.com/ksrss/KSRSS  Still Work In Production, and @ballisticfox0 is currently working on adding the volumetric clouds from the Patreon Eve demo.

For Parallax support:

• Install Parallax 2.0 - and Parallax Stock Textures, Parallax Stock Scatter Textures
  • Delete "GameData/Parallax_StockTextures/_Configs"
  • Delete "GameData/Parallax_StockTextures/_Scatters/Configs"

Actually, I have another question. Which scatterer version do I use? I've tried the more recent versions but the outer planets and strangely Venus and Titan break when using these. I know JNSQ requires an older version or the gas giants break, Does KSRSS need an older one as well?

(Scatterer was installed using CKAN)

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded KSRSS from GIthub. https://github.com/ballisticfox/KSRSS-Reborn/releases
I downloaded KSRSS-Reborn-64k.zip and KSRSS-Reborn.zip, took the insides of the GameData folders, moved them to Gamedata and installed via CKAN Kopernicius, Kronometer and CustomBarnKit. When I start the game, the sun is missing!

Thanks for any help

EDIT:

Now I find that the problem is more that there is a lack of atmosphere.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Edited by Saturn1234

Hey, guys, I have a question, is the 1.0 size version of the mod available? I do have to say, 2.5 is a bit troublesome for me, all things considered. Is 2.5 the only option from gitlab? Please do show me if there's an option to download the smaller version as well

in the main KSRSS folder is the file configuration.cfg, in there you'll find this...

//System Scale
        SystemScale = Default // Default, Stock
        //Default - KSRSS will be a 1/4 scale replica of the real solar system, this is the same scale as the JNSQ planet pack, approximately 2.7 times bigger than the stock system.
        //Stock - KSRSS will be a 1/9 scale replica of the real solar system, not exactly stock scale but close to it.

just change SystemScale = from default to stock

Edited by Wackenhut

On 1/26/2023 at 5:10 PM, Rodger said:

Is this how it is intended? This is my installation looks as well and it feels weird for the KSC to be plastered on top of a city.

Great mod. Everything works except when I use Parallax (all instructions on compatibility followed to the letter, launched straight from the .exe) but Kopernicus stops being able to load the planets and it uses the default system. It displays this message. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

OZ3XVNj.png