[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

573 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

In KSRSS Reborn, I get stuck on an infinite loading screen right before the main menu. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: the problem is Parallax. KSRSS Reborn does have Parallax configs, but installing Parallax causes an infinite loading screen, and removing Parallax allows the game to load up normally. How can this be fixed?

Edited by septemberWaves

3 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

In KSRSS Reborn, I get stuck on an infinite loading screen right before the main menu. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I have the same issue when adding Parallax as per the instructions a few pages above. Haven't figured out a fix yet, except that removing Parallax fixes it. Here is my log.

Edit: I figured it out. Turns out I was using the old Github release. Classic PEBCAK. With the new Gitlab stuff, Parallax works fine. @septemberWaves make sure you grab the latest KSRSS from Gitlab instead of Github. 

Edited by Grimmas

5 hours ago, Grimmas said:

I have the same issue when adding Parallax as per the instructions a few pages above. Haven't figured out a fix yet, except that removing Parallax fixes it. Here is my log.

Edit: I figured it out. Turns out I was using the old Github release. Classic PEBCAK. With the new Gitlab stuff, Parallax works fine. @septemberWaves make sure you grab the latest KSRSS from Gitlab instead of Github. 

I replaced my install with the Gitlab release. The game still gets stuck on an infinite loading screen.

40 minutes ago, stickman050 said:

Have you guys encountered a scatterer/eve visual issue with Jupiter? It seems to be very dim. I'm using stock system size (1/9 scale).

Use Scatterer 0.0.772 instead of the latest version.

42 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

I replaced my install with the Gitlab release. The game still gets stuck on an infinite loading screen.

Don't use the release version, it is old. You need to download the actual source code from the latest reborn branch and then copy the KSRSS and KSRSS-64k folders from that (first delete your current ones, of course)

12 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Don't use the release version, it is old. You need to download the actual source code from the latest reborn branch and then copy the KSRSS and KSRSS-64k folders from that (first delete your current ones, of course)

Is this (circled in red) not how to download the source code from the latest branch? Because this is what I did when you linked the Gitlab page.

hIwrOO5.png

That's correct. That's the version that fixed the infinitely spinning loader for me. Maybe try a clean install with just KSRSS, Parallax, and dependencies? And you are using Parallax 2.0.6, Parallax_StockTextures-2.0.0, and Parallax_ScatterTextures-2.0.1, right? And merging the latter two and deleting their config folders as per the instructions a few pages back?

47 minutes ago, Czejenesku said:

So I dont exactly get the description - is this the similar size as JNSQ (2.5 compared to its 2.7) or stock stock? 

Both. Originally it is meant to be stock size (and I enjoy it that way). But it can be scaled to 2.5x by Sigma Dimensions I believe.

3 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Both. Originally it is meant to be stock size (and I enjoy it that way). But it can be scaled to 2.5x by Sigma Dimensions I believe.

With stock parts, yeah, I would be the same, but I plan to fly historical missions with BDB and Tantarus. I want a challenge with those ;)

2 minutes ago, Czejenesku said:

With stock parts, yeah, I would be the same, but I plan to fly historical missions with BDB and Tantarus. I want a challenge with those ;)

Well, there is always full size RSS too  :D

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Well, there is always full size RSS too  :D

Thats my endgame with RO and RP-1 :D 
Small correction - current default KSRSS is Reborn one, which is 2.5x scale of stock. No need for Sigma :) 

Is the current Scatterer compatible with current version of Reborn or shall I use 0.77 version like someone with 1/9th scale, so I wont get problems with lighting?

Edited by Czejenesku

Last questions - how should i multiply contract rewards to have balanced gameplay in Reborn? Shall i just multiply them 2.5x?

I use stock KSRSS, Career Evolution, Research Bodies (with Tarsier and plan to have just the Moon discovered at the start), Field Research. Playthrough is based on Probes before Crew tech tree. And I do have Dmagic's Science, Neheriams, MOAR Station Science, HABTech2  and most of USI(all with parts)so science shouldnt be a problem when i get everything going.

Also Probes before Crew  thread states, that it includes a contract pack, but I cant see it anywhere in the left column in settings. Does it replace the KSP stock one (not KSRSS one)?

Edited by Czejenesku

On 3/1/2023 at 8:35 PM, septemberWaves said:

Is this (circled in red) not how to download the source code from the latest branch? Because this is what I did when you linked the Gitlab page.

hIwrOO5.png

Did you ever manage to get it working? I'm having the same problem you are, infinite black loading screen on startup. Parallax installed and config files deleted as mentioned earlier and using the latest gitlab branch.

37 minutes ago, Flyboy425 said:

Did you ever manage to get it working? I'm having the same problem you are, infinite black loading screen on startup. Parallax installed and config files deleted as mentioned earlier and using the latest gitlab branch.

Deleting the Parallax config (not from the main Parallax folder, just from the other folder) works. I had installed via CKAN, and was unaware of the need to delete the config file in question.

I do, however, have the following problem:

aqTQPoV.png

City lights are present directly beneath the KSC, where they should not be present. Is there a fix for this?

On 3/9/2023 at 1:57 AM, septemberWaves said:

Deleting the Parallax config (not from the main Parallax folder, just from the other folder) works. I had installed via CKAN, and was unaware of the need to delete the config file in question.

Sorry, exactly which folder are you referring to?

13 hours ago, Squidly said:

Sorry, exactly which folder are you referring to?

Step 1: Use CKAN to install the latest version of Parallax. It should automatically install its dependencies. Following this step, you should have a folder in GameData called "Parallax", and a folder in GameData called "Parallax_StockTextures".

Step 2: Open "Parallax_StockTextures". There is a folder in there titled "_Config". Delete "_Config".

This is the precise set of steps that I took relating to Parallax, which allowed the game to load. I have not yet tested whether Parallax actually works following this, because I am awaiting a solution to the broken city lights beneath the space center before I actually play with KSRSS.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:24 PM, Czejenesku said:

how should i multiply contract rewards to have balanced gameplay in Reborn? Shall i just multiply them 2.5x?

I don't think there's a need to increase contract rewards for KSRSS. I usually play at 2.5/2.7x scale with either KSRS or JNSQ planets, plus contract packs built on top of the Contract Configurator mod. I don't know whether CC adjusts rewards based on planet size, but I get playable reward settings.

My most recent KSRSS playthrough was at fairly difficult contract reward settings: funds at 60% default, science at 80%. Comments on that:

• Funds were tight early career. Part test contracts are a good way to gather funds, and also create reasons for new rocket designs with specific parts. The Tourism Plus contract pack offers new ways to gather funds mid career.
  • Science progression was challenging. I felt completely stalled once or twice, and could remedy it by driving a science rover around KSC. I also like building planes to gather science from Earth biomes.
  • Note that I was using Bluedog Design Bureau parts, so I had extra science experiments available.
  • A lot depends on which tech tree you are using. The stock tree is pretty shallow. If using a more complex tech tree, you will likely need to use science labs to get through the end of the tree where some unlocks might take thousands of science points.