[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

567 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

14 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

hmm, got me. I'm using 1.12.1.73 in a bunch of KSRSS installs without issue. Your log did show Kopernicus freaking out but I have no idea why. You might have better luck on the Kop thread, but no one is gonna be too thrilled about looking at a log file with a million mods. If I were in your position I would move about 80% of those folders out of GameData and try with the basics, and then move groups of related mods back in one group at a time. Maybe someone else has some better ideas.

Looks like stripping the install back to the bare minimum for KSRSS works fine, will slowly reinstall my mods and see how it goes, thanks a million for your help.

1 hour ago, urturino said:

There is a way to land without disable the pressure limit in the cheat menu?

Pretty sure I've landed the Venera parts from Probes Plus on Venus at 2.5x. Those are the only parts I know of that survive it. The Tantares Venera parts won't. The key for the Coatl parts is "maxPressure=12000" so you could write MM patches to bump your favorite parts if you wanted.

I wanted to recover a plane in KSRSS , the button clicks but doesn't work , Any button for changing scenes doesn't work . I used to fix this by the mod making less history but it's still not recovering , I can't recover except from the tracking station which is unlocked only if I restart ksp , help ?

On 2/22/2022 at 11:46 AM, mmamh2008 said:

I wanted to recover a plane in KSRSS , the button clicks but doesn't work , Any button for changing scenes doesn't work . I used to fix this by the mod making less history but it's still not recovering , I can't recover except from the tracking station which is unlocked only if I restart ksp , help ?

I'd post your KSP.log to the forum here, and if you're running the game through Steam, maybe try verifying files. Anyway, without logs we can't really diagnose that... admittedly strange issue you have there :)

7 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

This reminds me of an issue with Kerbal Construction Time - you using that?

No

21 minutes ago, BadModder54 said:

I'd post your KSP.log to the forum here, and if you're running the game through Steam, maybe try verifying files. Anyway, without logs we can't really diagnose that... admittedly strange issue you have there :)

Ahh , sorry , I forgot

Umm , I didn't save the log , I switched to stock , sooo . I'll open the scraped KSRSS installation to get a log.

I'm having trouble making KSRSSVE work. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and all its dependencies, as well as KSRSS, I have tried using the integrated KSRSSVE in KSRSS but that doesn't work either. I uninstalled Astronomers Visual Pack and Spectra since they add clouds but it still wont work. Some help would be appreciated! 

Mods list: https://imgur.com/gallery/vOm2DKD (sorry I have so many)

10 hours ago, Moe_roNs said:

I'm having trouble making KSRSSVE work. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and all its dependencies, as well as KSRSS, I have tried using the integrated KSRSSVE in KSRSS but that doesn't work either. I uninstalled Astronomers Visual Pack and Spectra since they add clouds but it still wont work. Some help would be appreciated! 

Mods list: https://imgur.com/gallery/vOm2DKD (sorry I have so many)

Download it again , The megapack 0.7 not 0.6

By the way see if EVE is alone without any configs

Using KSRSS x2.5...working well for me.  I have a question about travel times.  I recently planned a transfer to Uranus using TWP.  Looking 40 years ahead, the shortest travel time was about 17 years.  I settled on a transfer that will take about 21 years.  Question is...why so long?  I believe that the Voyager missions each reached Uranus within 10 years of launching.  So, with x2.5, which is about 1/4 as vast as our real solar system, why does it take so much longer in KSP space?  Don't think this is a problem, just trying to understand.

55 minutes ago, Quickspin said:

Using KSRSS x2.5...working well for me.  I have a question about travel times.  I recently planned a transfer to Uranus using TWP.  Looking 40 years ahead, the shortest travel time was about 17 years.  I settled on a transfer that will take about 21 years.  Question is...why so long?  I believe that the Voyager missions each reached Uranus within 10 years of launching.  So, with x2.5, which is about 1/4 as vast as our real solar system, why does it take so much longer in KSP space?  Don't think this is a problem, just trying to understand.

Voyager used a Jupiter gravity assist maneuver that took advantage of a rare "planetary alignment" event that occurred around 1977. 

TWP is trying to plan an efficient Hohmann transfer for you, but NASA/JPL did not select a trajectory like that. Instead, they shot the Voyagers on a fairly high-energy path out to Jupiter first, planning the trajectory so that it swung close enough to the planet to gain a large velocity boost straight out to Saturn, then rinse and repeat! After the Jupiter and Saturn flybys, the Voyager probes were hauling ass...

Here is a representation of what that looked like, roughly of course, because it's trying to show you a composite of what the planet's positions were both during launch in 1977, and at rendezvous during the 1980s. 

g&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

The next alignment like this will happen in the year 2152 :)

As far as RSS/KSRSS, it is quite accurate to real life, so something like this is technically possible. Not sure if anyone has tried it yet though!

1 hour ago, Quickspin said:

6 minutes ago, lemon cup said:
Spoiler

Voyager used a Jupiter gravity assist maneuver that took advantage of a rare "planetary alignment" event that occurred around 1977. 

TWP is trying to plan an efficient Hohmann transfer for you, but NASA/JPL did not select a trajectory like that. Instead, they shot the Voyagers on a fairly high-energy path out to Jupiter first, planning the trajectory so that it swung close enough to the planet to gain a large velocity boost straight out to Saturn, then rinse and repeat! After the Jupiter and Saturn flybys, the Voyager probes were hauling ass...

Here is a representation of what that looked like, roughly of course, because it's trying to show you a composite of what the planet's positions were both during launch in 1977, and at rendezvous during the 1980s. 

g&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

The next alignment like this will happen in the year 2152 :)

As far as RSS/KSRSS, it is quite accurate to real life, so something like this is technically possible. Not sure if anyone has tried it yet though!

@lemon cup beat me to it, but gravity assists are where it's at! Another interesting case is the New Horizons mission. The Atlas V 551 had enough performance to send New Horizons on a direct transfer to Pluto, however using a gravity assist at Jupiter cut down the travel time by ~4-5 years. Table 2 on page 10 of this paper shows various launch windows and trajectories proposed for New Horizons as well as the arrival time at Pluto for each one.

As far as planning something like this in KSP, there are several tools that can help calculate these sorts of trajectories. My favorite, and one that works on any planet pack (though it requires a little bit of setup to work on anything other than stock) is the KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool. This thing can basically do full-on mission planning and optimization, but it also has simpler tools like a porkchop plotter, and of relevance here, a multi-flyby finder where you can put in any arbitrary sequence of planets, and it will find the lowest dV trajectory to follow that sequence within a defined time window.

3 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Not sure if anyone has tried it yet though!

I've been super interested in trying any of the historic gravity assist paths, but KSPTOT revealed how truly smooth my brain is. But since all of us using the same system at the same scale should have the same planetary alignments on the same dates, if someone wanted to share their KSPTOT findings, then others could give it a try. :) I'm guessing here as I don't have any idea what kind of output you get from KSPTOT ...

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I've been super interested in trying any of the historic gravity assist paths, but KSPTOT revealed how truly smooth my brain is. But since all of us using the same system at the same scale should have the same planetary alignments on the same dates, if someone wanted to share their KSPTOT findings, then others could give it a try. :) I'm guessing here as I don't have any idea what kind of output you get from KSPTOT ...

Sorry can't help you with a plot since I'm playing full scale RSS and JNSQ (2.7x scale) saves at the moment. But as for what the (saved) output of KSPTOT looks like - here's a JNSQ solution for a two planet fly-by I've got queued up:

Spoiler
Hyperbolic Departure & Flyby Orbits
---------------------------------------------
Hyperbolic Departure Orbit from Kerbin
Semi-major Axis =               -1099.2003 km
Eccentricity =                  1.904800939
Inclination =                   19.5484 deg
Right Ascension of AN =         100.8411 deg
Argument of Periapse =          352.6129 deg
---------------------
Out. Hyp. Vel. Vect Rt. Asc. =  -143.5785 deg
Out. Hyp. Vel. Vect Declin. =   17.7585 deg
Out. Hyp. Vel. Magnitude =      4.779053599 km/s
Inbound Hyperbolic Flyby Orbit to Jool
Semi-major Axis =               -202293.0778 km
Eccentricity =                  1.118057525
Inclination =                   8.9885 deg
Right Ascension of AN =         347.8466 deg
Argument of Periapse =          179.0099 deg
Periapse Radius =               23882.2201 km
Outbound Hyperbolic Flyby Orbit from Jool
Semi-major Axis =               -307679.3548 km
Eccentricity =                  1.0776
Inclination =                   8.9885 deg
Right Ascension of AN =         347.8466 deg
Argument of Periapse =          179.0099 deg
Periapse Radius =               23882.2201 km
---------------------
Out. Hyp. Vel. Vect Rt. Asc. =  -34.7704 deg
Out. Hyp. Vel. Vect Declin. =   -3.4811 deg
Out. Hyp. Vel. Magnitude =      2.548918005 km/s
Inbound Hyperbolic Orbit to Lindor
Inb. Hyp. Vel. Vect Rt. Asc. =  -14.4404 deg
Inb. Hyp. Vel. Vect Declin. =   -1.9696 deg
Inb. Hyp. Vel. Magnitude =      1.0761 km/s

Sun-Centric Transfer Orbits
Phase 1 Transfer Orbit (Kerbin -> Jool)
Semi-major Axis =           122538634.0453 km
Eccentricity =                  0.691486093
Inclination =                   4.3198 deg
Right Ascension of AN =         116.0163 deg
Argument of Periapse =          4.0030 deg
Period =                    93045176.6337 sec
Departure True Anomaly =        355.9970 deg
Arrival True Anomaly =          193.3761 deg
Num. Full Revs Prior to Arrival = 0.0000
Phase 2 Transfer Orbit (Jool -> Lindor)
Semi-major Axis =           260143703.6397 km
Eccentricity =                  0.386181792
Inclination =                   1.6268 deg
Right Ascension of AN =         80.9412 deg
Argument of Periapse =          162.5377 deg
Period =                   287808947.1574 sec
Departure True Anomaly =        69.8813 deg
Arrival True Anomaly =          176.5220 deg
Num. Full Revs Prior to Arrival = 0.0000
Kerbin Departure Date = 
               Year 13, Day 241 06:18:32.736
                     (399190712.7359 sec UT)
Jool Arrival Date = 
               Year 15, Day 203 16:10:56.597
                     (459015056.5970 sec UT)
Lindor Arrival Date = 
                Year 19, Day 37 08:09:14.718
                     (570787754.7179 sec UT)
Total Mission Duration = 
              5 Years, 161 Days 01:50:41.982

DV Maneuver Information
Burn Information to Depart Kerbin
Total Delta-V =                 4.2109 km/s
Prograde Delta-V =              3014.9689 m/s
Orbit Normal Delta-V =          2849.5943 m/s
Radial Delta-V =                721.9429 m/s
---------------------
Burn True Anomaly =             100.8411 deg
Burn Information to Depart Jool
Total Delta-V =                 0.1277 km/s
Prograde Delta-V =              -127.7133 m/s
Orbit Normal Delta-V =          -0.0000 m/s
Radial Delta-V =                -0.0002 m/s
---------------------
Burn True Anomaly =             0.0000 deg
Total Mission Delta-V =         4.3386 km/s

That's just the output of the fly-by finder, using the Launch Vehicle Designer to do a full mission plan is more involved.

Edited by Aelfhe1m
clarify scale of JNSQ

37 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

here's a JNSQ solution for a two planet fly-by I've got queued up:

Definitely interested in how this goes! That printout makes sense at a verrrrry high level. The devil would be in the details of getting into the right position at the right time, which is still out of my reach at this point, but working on it. The prospect of being able to execute a dual flyby of that scope is very motivating. I've pulled off Juno, a made-up Galileo II to Saturn, and Dragonfly to Titan, but these were all Hohmann transfers and it'd be cool to pull off a planned gravity assist.

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
spelunking

Thank you all for the great replies.  Very helpful and informative.  Had looked for a tool sometime ago to help with this, and found KSPTOT, but it was so dated that I just assumed it wouldn't work anymore.  Getting some gravity assists working would really be fun, going to give it a try.

Would anyone know the altitude of geostationary orbit in 2.5x scale? I'm trying to put a few satellites up there and I can't seem to get it right. Also if anyone knows a system they use for reliably putting satellites into geostationary using mechjeb or something it would be much appreciated :) 

On 3/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, Jacktical said:

Would anyone know the altitude of geostationary orbit in 2.5x scale? I'm trying to put a few satellites up there and I can't seem to get it right. Also if anyone knows a system they use for reliably putting satellites into geostationary using mechjeb or something it would be much appreciated :) 

If I'm remembering right it's somewhere around 8,640,000m; if that's not exact then you should be able to get it to be synchronous by slowly raising your apogee and watching your orbital period tick up to 1 day.

Actually now that I think about it, Earth in my game has a rotation period of about twelve hours, and I cannot remember if it's like that by default or if I tampered with the files to get it that way. Fair warning.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

14 hours ago, Jacktical said:

Would anyone know the altitude of geostationary orbit in 2.5x scale?

Check out @Snark's new mod:

It automatically calculates the geostationary orbit's radius (shown in the tracking station),  and dynamically adjusts itself for any system,  also scaled . So you can now the synchronus orbit for every body in the system. :wink:

14 hours ago, Jacktical said:

GSO altitude in 2.5x KSRSS is 5.902.772m.

1) Get MJ and SCANSat.

2) Scan Earth first, to make its map appear in SCANSat's in-flight app.

3a) Build a suitable rocket. For LEO-GEO transfer, you'll need around 2000 m\s of dV, this number does not include possible inclination changes. Be sure to include engines and extra fuel on your satellite, for fine-tuning and possible station-keeping.

3b) Just like IRL, Kourou is the best place for GEO launches. When launching from sites up north, like CCAFS, get launcher with powerful first stage, and sufficiently good upper stage. BDB Titan IIIC or 34D is a great choice. KNES Ariane IV family also works pretty well.

4) For launch, use MJ's PVG mode. Important settings:

- Target Pe: 100km

- Target Ap: 0

- Orbit inclination: now that's where you need to put attention. Your goal here is to end as close to equatorial orbit as possible. For Kourou, you can put 0 with most rockets. For CCAFS, Titan IIIC can take a fully loaded Transtage and 500 kg payload to around 17deg inclination.

- Fixed coast length: 0

5) Launch you rocket, you should end up at perfectly circular parking orbit. The rocket will fly somewhat strange, heading South first and then turning East; this is perfectly normal. In fact, this is an actual maneuver called dog-leg.

6) Save your game, go to map view and open SCANSat app.

7) For equatorial, zero-inclination orbit, use MJ to set a node to change Ap to 5902 km. DO NOT execute!

8) You should see both current and projected orbits, complete with Ap and Pe markers (and mission waypoints).

9) Drag your fresh node around until predicted Ap marker is above desired location (or mission waypoint).

10) Execute node, then set a new node to circularize at your new Ap.

11) Execute node. Congratulations, you're now at GEO!

For non-equatorial parking orbits, things are bit more complicated, since you need to change your inclination to 0. Here's how:

1) Follow the manual above up to #7.

2) Set a node to change Ap to slightly lower altitude than GSO, something like 5600 km, at equatorial ascent node (AN) or descent node (DN) - use one which is closer to your desired final position.

3) Using in-game node tool (or any node editor), factor in inclination change to 0 (or at least close to it), while leaving Ap at 5600 km.

4) Execute node, then set a new node to circularize at your new Ap. Factor in another inclination change if needed.

5) Execute node.

6) Do stuff described in #7 - #11 above.

Good luck!