how to complete asteroid tracking mission

Hello, its been sometime since ive been on these forums again, the game always brings me back time after time.

I have this 4-6m $ mission and after reading up about it a little, im supposed to get some sort of notification when it tracks something. Some people saying 8 asteroids in 1 year, (im running standard earth time 365 days in a year, in stock kerbol system) and i have had this craft in the specified orbit for 9 years and not once have i gotten a message. I have an active connection to ksc 

Do i have to be active with the satellite?

do i have to click on asteroids as they appear and track them hoping its the right one the mission wants?

is the mission just super difficult and takes forever to find the specific asteroid?

25 minutes ago, fireblade274 said:

Do i have to be active with the satellite?

No. You never have to focus the craft again, once it is in the proper orbit.

do i have to click on asteroids as they appear and track them hoping its the right one the mission wants?

No, you do not need to interact with the asteroids at all. Your craft looks like it is all set up properly. Every 50 to 100 days you should get a little text message in the corner of your screen saying that the satellite has detected another asteroid. It all happens automatically. Contract completion also happens automatically.

is the mission just super difficult and takes forever to find the specific asteroid?

No, it's not supposed to be difficult. So it sounds like you've run into a bug of some sort. You have several mods, and it happens pretty often that mods will somehow screw up contracts so the contracts don't work anymore. That's what I'd guess is happening here.

9 hours ago, fireblade274 said:

I have this 4-6m $ mission

I'm sorry, but you've become a victim of bug #24282. In order for the sentinel to be able to detect asteroids around Kerbin it needs to be in an orbit around the sun and closer to the sun than Kerbin. (Between Eve and Kerbin and in Kerbin's orbital plane to be precise.) But the orbit specified in the contract at ~17.5 Gm is outside Kerbin's orbit (which is ~13.5 Gm), so you cannot fulfill the contract with one sentinel alone.

One "hack" to work around that is allegedly to have two sentinels: one in the orbit required by the contract and one in an orbit where it can detect asteroids around Kerbin. Then you can switch to the craft in the "contract-orbit", get that "reach the required orbit" requirement ticked, and then go and do other things until the other sentinel has found enough asteroids. (I haven't done that myself, after learning of that bug I refuse the broken contracts in my games.)

Another method is to use the cheat menu to mark that contract as fulfilled.

1 hour ago, AHHans said:

I'm sorry, but you've become a victim of bug #24282. In order for the sentinel to be able to detect asteroids around Kerbin it needs to be in an orbit around the sun and closer to the sun than Kerbin. (Between Eve and Kerbin and in Kerbin's orbital plane to be precise.) But the orbit specified in the contract at ~17.5 Gm is outside Kerbin's orbit (which is ~13.5 Gm), so you cannot fulfill the contract with one sentinel alone.

I just started looking up my problem with the same contract and fortunately I immediately came across your post. I have the very same issue. In my case nothing happened for more than a year and then I started wondering why the telescope says it is tracking objects in Duna orbit. I put it into lower Sun orbit and immediately it said it was tracking objects in Kerbin orbit, but then out of curiosity I left it there on time acceleration for more three years and still it found nothing. I am wondering if it's also scripted so that it needs to be in that Duna orbit to map virtually anything. :/

Edited by Splot
Typos

20 minutes ago, Splot said:

I just started looking up my problem with the same contract and fortunately I immediately came across your post.

You're welcome. And welcome to the Forums!

These contracts used to work fine in 1.6.x and 1.7.x. But with the big change to 1.8 they got messed up. And since then I kinda avoid them...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.