(April Fool's Gag): Dec 1 release date plus KSP 2 goes VR-only like HL:Alyx

Wow - two big announcements today (screenshot below).  Here's a text copy from the website:

Kerbal Space Program 2, the sequel to the acclaimed space flight game from Private

Division, will be lithobraking on Earth December 1st, 2020.

[image][image]

With the original Kerbal Space Program having become one of the most beloved games

of all time, and now bigger than ever, Kerbal Space Program 2 has been fully redesigned

from the ground up to meet the demands of modern and next-generation space

exploration, all while maintaining the monumental foundations of the first game.

To deliver the most immersive and engaging experience possible, we are very excited to

announce that Kerbal Space Program 2 will be exclusively playable in Virtual Reality!

Kerbonauts will feel the engines roar to life as they lift off from KSC, gaze out the command

pod window while their craft eases to a landing, and reach down to gather rock samples

from the surface of Mün.  Kerbal Space Program 2 is compatible with all major Virtual

Reality platforms including SteamVR, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality and PSVR.

9Bt9vXR.png

Edited by Chilkoot

@Chilkoot

Is this some sort of April Fools? Because I navigated to the same page as you (as far as I can see) and I see no such announcement. Besides, if something like this was announced it would have a post in the Announcements section of the forum too.

If KSP2 is VR-only now, then it's lost my interest. I don't have a VR headset, and can't afford to sink £300+ into one.

2 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Wow - two big announcements today (screenshot below).  Here's a text copy from the website:

(realistic looking picture)

Very well done. We need some comic relieve in these isolated days!

10 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

i have no interest in strapping a monitor to my skull and flailing my arms around like a goof.

You don't know what you're missing out on, man!

FCU4YX7HN829Z5O.jpg

This actually got me gosh dang it. You've bamboozled me for the last time!

(Not gonna lie though VR KSP2 would be pretty lit, especially with some haptic feedback stuff like chairs or that weird haptic suit)

7 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

The Pandarin in WoW started as an April Fool's gag

I didn't know that but if you put up a list of things and said one of them was from an April Fool's gag, I'd have guessed it.

Which of these was an April Fool's gag that ended up being real?

• Horse Armor
  • Loot Boxes
  • The Pandarin from WoW
  • Orange Jool

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I didn't know that but if you put up a list of things and said one of them was from an April Fool's gag, I'd have guessed it.

Which of these was an April Fool's gag that ended up being real?

• Horse Armor
  • Loot Boxes
  • The Pandarin from WoW
  • Orange Jool

When I first heard about horse armor, I literally thought it was some kind of prank.  I didn't believe it until my brother-in-law handed me a CD with the content on it.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This would have been more believable  without the VR stuff

Yeah. To have VR as an option might have been sort of half plausible. Not very, but at least sort of. But VR exclusively? That's so implausible that my first thought was that someone didn't know what the word "exclusively" meant. :-)

1 hour ago, rmaine said:

To have VR as an option might have been sort of half plausible. Not very, but at least sort of.

It's absolutely plausible, but it would be difficult to do well due to the multiple game modes and screens.  The best VR titles today typically have only one or two "views", and any interactive screens like, for example, the tech tree selection in KSP1, would be overlays in a real-world environment - like a screen you walk up to or a book you open.

For a solid VR interface, you generally have to plan for it from day one, as retrofitting VR controls without forethought, esp. for a multi-view game like the current KSP would be messy and may never feel natural.

• 2 weeks later...