[1.12.x] [Planet Pack] Minor Planets Expansion

Exo's Lab

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody. Just wanted to remind you that MPE is no longer under my development. Fortunately, it is under the hands of Exo again, just as they were always intended to be.

Some of my improvements, such as the OnDemand architecture, the .dds textures, and some of the mod patches, will be included in this second generation. I'm glad I have been able to revive interest in the mod, but unfortunately I may have bitten off more than I could chew. My new bodies are now in their own, separate planet pack (link in sig) to ensure that those who still want them can still use them.

So thank you, Exo. I can't wait to see your version of MPE 1.1.

18 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Hi everybody. Just wanted to remind you that MPE is no longer under my development. Fortunately, it is under the hands of Exo again, just as they were always intended to be.

Some of my improvements, such as the OnDemand architecture, the .dds textures, and some of the mod patches, will be included in this second generation. I'm glad I have been able to revive interest in the mod, but unfortunately I may have bitten off more than I could chew. My new bodies are now in their own, separate planet pack (link in sig) to ensure that those who still want them can still use them.

So thank you, Exo. I can't wait to see your version of MPE 1.1.

Thanks for your hard work updating and maintaining the mod!

Alright so, I admit I might have lost my forum account after not logging in for awhile, we're back now though.

As Janet has described, MPE is returning to my hand, and we're going to be getting an update out if not sometime this afternoon than sometime on Monday, that's the plan anyways. Janet has provided some wonderful performance enhancements and I've actually had some unreleased updates for MPE sitting on my computer for awhile, particularly Russian Localizations, provided by a friend of mine, Konosheru. 

With KSP no longer getting major updates, my current goal is to get MPE to a satisfactory state, without any major glitches/bugs/whathaveyou, as well as most notably making OPM optional for MPE. From then on, MPE will no longer be receiving updates. This isn't a bad thing, don't worry, fans of MPE won't be getting left in the dark again, and I've got good news to share regarding MPE content.

First I feel I owe it to you to explain what's been going on with me during my prolonged absence, as I'm sure some of you may be curious.
I have been working on... a very large project. So far, this project is nearing thrice the size of MPE, with an end goal far larger than that. I'd say we're halfway through a fundamental pass through, and I think some of you will find it very very interesting...

Meanwhile, MPE is going to be getting a "sequel" soon. I won't say too much, but I will say that while working on the aforementioned project, my standards (and just plain understanding of how Kopernicus works) have increased, and MPE is no longer the best I am capable of, far from I think. I'm going to be remaking the pack in the near future, from the ground up. The original MPE will remain uploaded here simply because some elements of the outline will be changing in the sequel, and for the sake of preservation. You can expect updates regarding the development of "MPE2" to be posted here as they come into existence. MPE/MPE2 will be remaining a side project to my current focus, but will be developed along side it.

Here is a very, very, early testing prototype I made a few months ago, just to prove this is something I'm working on.
https://imgur.com/a/sAPn8U0

I am looking forward to becoming active in this community once again, this time to stay!

1 hour ago, Exo's Lab said:

Additionally, thank you to Janet for keeping MPE alive in my absence, and renewing interest in this little mod.
Couldn't have done it without you!

1 hour ago, Exo's Lab said:

Alright so, I admit I might have lost my forum account after not logging in for awhile, we're back now though.

As Janet has described, MPE is returning to my hand, and we're going to be getting an update out if not sometime this afternoon than sometime on Monday, that's the plan anyways. Janet has provided some wonderful performance enhancements and I've actually had some unreleased updates for MPE sitting on my computer for awhile, particularly Russian Localizations, provided by a friend of mine, Konosheru. 

With KSP no longer getting major updates, my current goal is to get MPE to a satisfactory state, without any major glitches/bugs/whathaveyou, as well as most notably making OPM optional for MPE. From then on, MPE will no longer be receiving updates. This isn't a bad thing, don't worry, fans of MPE won't be getting left in the dark again, and I've got good news to share regarding MPE content.

First I feel I owe it to you to explain what's been going on with me during my prolonged absence, as I'm sure some of you may be curious.
I have been working on... a very large project. So far, this project is nearing thrice the size of MPE, with an end goal far larger than that. I'd say we're halfway through a fundamental pass through, and I think some of you will find it very very interesting...

Meanwhile, MPE is going to be getting a "sequel" soon. I won't say too much, but I will say that while working on the aforementioned project, my standards (and just plain understanding of how Kopernicus works) have increased, and MPE is no longer the best I am capable of, far from I think. I'm going to be remaking the pack in the near future, from the ground up. The original MPE will remain uploaded here simply because some elements of the outline will be changing in the sequel, and for the sake of preservation. You can expect updates regarding the development of "MPE2" to be posted here as they come into existence. MPE/MPE2 will be remaining a side project to my current focus, but will be developed along side it.

Here is a very, very, early testing prototype I made a few months ago, just to prove this is something I'm working on.
https://imgur.com/a/sAPn8U0

I am looking forward to becoming active in this community once again, this time to stay!

Amazing to see this wonderful mod restored to it's former glory! :D 

It's good to be back! This update was pretty much completely handled by the community, dating back to an old fan Github, which I believe still exists, and these updates were included in MPE with permission, as well as more recently DDS texturing used in MPE Revived and handled by Interplanet Janet. Most exciting perhaps is that MPE now supports localizations, and a friend of mine, Konusheru, has provided Russian translations of the object names and descriptions.

MPE 1.0.7 "Community Contributions"

• OnDemand Textures (performance enhancement), thank you to Interplanet Janet!
  • Kerbalism Support, thank you to @IIodyne!
  • Principia Support, thank you to @IIodyne!
  • Final Frontier ribbons, thank you to @hemeac!
  • Various bugfixes, thank you to @Coolguybest!
  • Localization Support, and Russian Translations, thank you to Kunosheru!
Edited by Exo's Lab

I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but I'm getting significant lag while I was orbiting over Edas. Opening up the console revealed that I was getting tons of null errors, repeated twice a second or so. I know for a fact that the errors stopped and the lag disappeared when I was close to the object or landed on it (and maybe when I was very high over it, but I'm not entirely sure).

What other steps should I take to help log/pinpoint the issue? I was thinking of re-confirming the issue over Edas, then searching the other MPE bodies for similar errors.

Sorry for the late reply, could you elaborate on the specifics of this error?
I believe Janet mentioned something similar while working on MPE Revived, you might be the first I've heard of encountering it since.

Did you enter Edas SOI normally? Cheat to it? Or did you timewarp at any point?

MPE 1.0.8 is released! We have adjusted the PQS space for Edas, making its surface less terraced and blocky.
Havous' rotation speed has been adjusted to now match the accurate speed of an object with its oblateness, thank you to WarriorSabe for the calculations!
We've added stock magnetometer reports for all bodies, and atmospheric analysis reports for Ervo as well!  

Update Bulletlist:

• Havous rotation speed adjusted to better reflect shape, thank you to WarriorSabe!
  • Edas surface terracing mitigated
  • Stock magnetometer definitions added
  • Atmospheric analysis definitions for Ervo added
Edited by Exo's Lab

I noticed the lag/mass null error happened with Dyva (but not Doppler) as well- I was wondering if I should post this as well in the Janet's Minor Planets thread as well, since I caught it with that.

I entered Edas SOI normally, no cheating, I was timewarping at <=50x. Like I've said before, I noticed that it only occurs at high altitudes (maybe science high?) but didn't while I was in the map view, but perhaps what might be helpful to know is that the surface of the body that caused lag seemed to be moving, like the body was moving under the surface as the body rotated. Maybe the game's trying to load a texture that it can't find and gets stuck in a loop constantly trying to load a file? Maybe there's something wonky in the body define files for the surface or textures?

1 hour ago, Coolguybest said:

I noticed the lag/mass null error happened with Dyva (but not Doppler) as well- I was wondering if I should post this as well in the Janet's Minor Planets thread as well, since I caught it with that.

I entered Edas SOI normally, no cheating, I was timewarping at <=50x. Like I've said before, I noticed that it only occurs at high altitudes (maybe science high?) but didn't while I was in the map view, but perhaps what might be helpful to know is that the surface of the body that caused lag seemed to be moving, like the body was moving under the surface as the body rotated. Maybe the game's trying to load a texture that it can't find and gets stuck in a loop constantly trying to load a file? Maybe there's something wonky in the body define files for the surface or textures?

Doppler and Dyva are part of Janet's Minor Planets, not this mod, so you can crosspost the Dyva issue on that thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, when I launch the game, it gets permanently stuck on this loading screen. The only other mods I have is Gameslinx planet overhaul, Outer Planets Mod, Grannus Expansion, Hyperedit, Kopernicus, and ModuleManager.

The game works fine without MPE, but when I add MPE it starts getting stuck on this loading screen for eternity.

The loading screen in question is the black screen with the loading in the bottom-right corner and the animation of Eve/Kerbin/Jool around Kerbol. I would put a screenshot but I can't figure out how to upload one directly from my computer, as I don't have an account on any image sharing websites.

Edit: I did some experiments. It's an issue between this mod and Gameslinx Planet Overhaul. Any chance this'll get fixed?

Edit 2: Welp. I manually fixed it myself. Just had to rename MPE's Flake to Flakis so it wouldn't share a name with GPO's Flake. And it works now.

Edited by InfiniDelta
Added some details

• 4 months later...

I might've found a bug or mod conflict with Tracking Station Evolved. That mod groups spaceships into handy tabs depending on what SOI they're at. It works with stock and OPM planets, however the combination of this MPE mod + OPM + Tracking Station Evolved breaks *all* modded planets and makes them disappear from the menu. The minor planets also don't have that colored blue/red/purple/etc circle that Kerbin, Duna, and all the other planets have in the map view.

This bug should be easily reproducible by installing all three mods with CKAN. If that doesn't reproduce it then I can share my logs on request.

Aside from this minor annoyance, nice mod! I really like the challenge posed by the tiny SOIs and odd orbits of the dwarf planets. They adds gameplay depth in a way the big planet packs with their large SOIs and boring orbits don't.

Edited by It'snorocketscience

• 3 months later...

After doing some testing I've been experiencing some issues with Soden (specifically at a point where it is particularly far away from Kerbol (5.3 billion km?) after 1091 years of elapsed time) in which any attempt to teleport to this planet using the cheats system results in extremely frequent and long-lived game freezes (on the order of 5-10 minutes or so) as well as extremely inconsistent and broken physics associated with it (example; attempting to use EVA causes any Kerbal to either immediately explode or to explode after hitting the ground.) I'm not experiencing this with any other planet, including the more distant ones such as Ervo and Mracksis, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the planet's distance. 

Keep in mind I'm using cheats to teleport here, although the bug persists if I leave the game and switch to the ship that still exists on Soden. Are these sorts of physics issues known to exist after teleporting to distant bodies? I have a number of other mods installed, so I'm not sure if they could be affecting the way physics works in some way.

I'm going to try manually flying to Soden. If the bug persists, I'll edit this post.

EDIT: After flying to it manually, I'm not experiencing extremely long periods of frozen game time or exploding Kerbals anymore. Granted, the game still feels somewhat unstable, but this is almost certainly due to casual floating point errors (i.e. placing a flag 155m above the surface), so I wouldn't worry about it that much. I guess my main question shifts from whether these floating point errors are unavoidable or not - it makes me wonder how those interstellar planet packs function correctly at all.

Edited by cherkasy

21 hours ago, cherkasy said:

after 1091 years of elapsed time

why has your space agency lasted that long! Surely Kerbin has collapsed into civil warfare and complete anhelation!!.

KSP sucks when things go very far away

I have no idea how interstellar mods do it without completely breaking the game.

• 4 weeks later...

odd glitch where the minor planets wont show an icon, i can put the cursor over the orbit line and find the hovering name of it, and zoom in and see that it exists, but the icon wont show up, no idea why. edit: found out that its just the planets that use the Large.dds and Small.dds, i checked the config files and it shows that it has those files set as its icon, but will not show the icon, no idea why that is but this is pretty annoying.

Edited by DRA-ARN