[1.12.x] [Planet Pack] Minor Planets Expansion

Exo's Lab

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

BUG REPORT:

When landed, flying, or orbiting in the SOI of a planet added by this mod which is orbiting the sun (moons of planets added by this mod are not affected) the game will hang from 1-5 seconds periodically. As far as I have observed there's exactly one minute between each hang. The amount of time the game hangs for depends on the distance from the sun, the larger the distance the longer the time. In addition (though I have not tested all the planets) it seems that planets out as far as Neidon and Plock do not have this problem, but at least Havous, and Ervo do. It seems like only MPE planets are affected and not OPM, but I could be wrong.

Is there anything running in this mod that could cause a hitch every minute, or is it some stock-bug that's never gotten fixed?

• 2 months later...

@Exo's Lab so idk if its even "officially" supported but I've used MPE with Beyond Home semi-successfully.  Theres a crazy amount of bodies and orbits but space being the giant region it is, none have ever caused any problems with existing bodies. Nearly all the inner-gas giant distant bodies work fine in regards to the textures, the only weird thing is that far outer bodies, Soden, Lon, Archae, Ervo, dont have any surface texture showing up. Its just black. I'm attaching images to the end of this post for you to see. Beyond Home does require using an old version of Parallax, ver1.0.1, i figured maybe this could have something to do with it?? I have no clue though. Other than that my only other guess is that maybe the sunlight cant reach the bodies since they are so far out, even past the orbit of the second solar system included with Beyond Home, Kerbol.

>>Here's an image of the bodies & orbits of the Destiny-Fate/Beyond Home System with MPE
gTUPKn0.png

>>Another image image of the Destiny-Fate/Beyond Home system zoomed far out showing far outer bodies orbits

JYVWYu3.png

>>433 Edas shows up fine

SIC7xfl.jpg

>>Zore shows up fine

QYDCaUj.jpg

>>68P-Lint/Mikey shows up fine

vTcc2aB.jpg

>>Crokslev doesnt show up/shows black texture/surface

hro66FL.jpg

>>1P-Geito also shows up black/no texture/surface

6QDqZ09.jpg

The other bodies that show up black are:  Havous, Kal, Kiki, Mrackis, Flake, Ervo, Archae, Soden, Lon

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? I have zero clue on what to do, I dont make mods or anything, I know my way around configs and editing parts, flares, and small things. I looked at all the Kopernicus configs of each body in MPE and BH but i couldnt notice anything. Dont know what I was even looking for anyway lol.

I realize its probably not supported but just wanted to put this out there in case you may be able to get it to work.

tagging @Gameslinx as well in case theres an easy solution

**Also for what its worth I'd like to note that I actually installed and successfully (with black bodies still) installed Beyond Home, OPM, and MPE together but it was just way too many bodies & orbits going on for my attention deficit brain to handle

Edited by Astra Infinitum

Hi, I'm getting back into reinstalling my mods and haven't played since before this was taken back up. I don't care about the additional bodies but wanted to inquire whether the work Janet had done was included back into this. I see it mentioned in the changelog that some things were included like the OnDemand textures but what about DOE and PlanetShine support and the updated normals and biome maps. Or, is MPE 2 something that is still planned?

9 hours ago, Iodyne said:

Hi, I'm getting back into reinstalling my mods and haven't played since before this was taken back up. I don't care about the additional bodies but wanted to inquire whether the work Janet had done was included back into this. I see it mentioned in the changelog that some things were included like the OnDemand textures but what about DOE and PlanetShine support and the updated normals and biome maps. Or, is MPE 2 something that is still planned?

I think those ended up becoming a part of a separate mod under her own direct authorship, iirc

1 hour ago, WarriorSabe said:

I think those ended up becoming a part of a separate mod under her own direct authorship, iirc

I see... Well that seems to be for the additional bodies she added. I meant the improvements for MPE. I wasn't sure if they were all merged and not fully listed in the changelog, or just only what was explicitly listed was incorporated.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:57 PM, Iodyne said:

I see... Well that seems to be for the additional bodies she added. I meant the improvements for MPE. I wasn't sure if they were all merged and not fully listed in the changelog, or just only what was explicitly listed was incorporated.

IIRC only what was explicitly listed was incorporated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just wanted to append my config for Principia compatibility. I noticed Lint-Mikey gets awfully close to Jool sometimes. As such I changed the argumentOfPeriapsis to 122.78. Alternatively the ascending node can be changed. You just want it the two values to be similar to one another so it dips below Jool. There does still appear to be influence by Duna but I think this is acceptable. (I did not test the long-term stability before or after the change.)

The Lint-Mikey change, as well as my implementation of axial tilt for MPE bodies in Principia can be found here:

Edited by Iodyne

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed a couple minor errors in ScienceDefinitions.cfg.

Link-MikeyLandedHighlands = The ices here have a large clay component, giving it a red ting.

This should say "Lint-Mikey", and "red tinge".
Should the science defs include the dash at all, though? Lint-Mikey's internal name is LintMikey.

Edit: I did a bit more research. It appears that the science definitions don't actually work at all ingame. I'm not sure why, but it may have something to do with the fact that they don't use a localization file.
Edit 2: I converted some of the defs in the mod to use a localization file and they work now. I'm going to do this with the rest of the science defs and then post them here... along with full DMagic Orbital Science defs I wrote myself, as a bonus!

Edited by Lithium-7

Here you go.
https://github.com/Lithobraker/MiscModuleManagerMods/releases/tag/mpe-newdefs-1.0
This includes a fixed, working version of the stock MPE science defs, with some spelling mistakes corrected in there too- as well as the new DMagic Orbital Science defs I wrote myself.

Edited by Lithium-7
updated the link to lead to a zip download

• 2 weeks later...

I put together an MPE delta-V map.
I recognize that some of the transfer values/times aren't super useful. Depending on how fast you want to go, delta-V can be higher- and in Soden's case, you can definitely get more efficient transfers.
For the most part, I just use Transfer Window Planner for that. I mainly use delta-V maps for planning landings and moon transfers.

Spoiler

IdoKEIU.png

Edited by Lithium-7

• 3 weeks later...

When I am on Soden and some other planets the performance is awful. Timewarp basically freezes the game. Ervo has the same issue. Have not tested other planets. It starts to stutter the lower I get in orbit and once im on the ground and time warp it basiclly crashes. No other mods installed. I tested it with KSPCF but it made no difference either. Am I missing some dependency? 

CBGAtgP.png

Edited by dave1904

14 hours ago, marxman28 said:

So, based on a very quick run through of the thread, this mod is 100% compatible with the Outer Planets Mod? Nothing's going to get broken?

Yes, the mod is meant to be used with OPM. Several MPE objects actually reference OPM planets in their descriptions!

hey when I landed on Edas I noticed a lot of Terrain tearing, not so much as bug report (as such no log provided) just wondering if this is a common/ known issue and if there is any easy fix thanks

Edited by TheAnimePug

Hi! MPE user here and love this expansion. I found the same issue as dave1904 pointed out that warping is broken around the 4 dwarf planets added, but not astroids and moons. So warping around Erovo, Havous, Mraksis and Soden are bugged by constant interruptions. I checked the log and found no clues. For the even largest astroid-type bodies, I mean Vant and Crokslev, warping seems AOK. Also warping around moons (e.g. Flake) are also smooth. Is there anything I can do with this? I really want to send my crew to Soden... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 9:25 PM, OrbitalNoob said:

Hi! MPE user here and love this expansion. I found the same issue as dave1904 pointed out that warping is broken around the 4 dwarf planets added, but not astroids and moons. So warping around Erovo, Havous, Mraksis and Soden are bugged by constant interruptions. I checked the log and found no clues. For the even largest astroid-type bodies, I mean Vant and Crokslev, warping seems AOK. Also warping around moons (e.g. Flake) are also smooth. Is there anything I can do with this? I really want to send my crew to Soden... 

Can confirm that I have the same issue. Is there a potential way around this?

Is there any way to discover

Spoiler

the second moon of Soden

that experiment texts allude to? Regardless, thank you so much for making this! I've really enjoyed exploring way out where the sun is dim. :D

Having lighting / surface texture issues with Crockslev and Soden. Other MPE bodies I've visited so far have been fine. Only happens when really close to the surface, lot's more detail can be seen in this video here:

I've tried a lot of fixes and different versions of mods and am completed stumped. Any help or a quick workaround I can edit into the mod files? Thanks.