[1.12.x] [Planet Pack] Minor Planets Expansion

Exo's Lab

12 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

oh wow I just noticed how the asteroids are using the asteroid icon for their body locations. Nice little touch!

Thanks! Though I can't take credit for the idea itself, I realized it was possible thanks to GregroxMun's Whirligig World, which uses asteroid icons for its asteroids and minor moons. I couldn't resist asking him to help set up asteroid icons for my mod too!

This has instantly become one of my favourite mods! I've always been fascinated by the lesser known and smaller bodies of our Solar System, which is a much more crowded space if you include them!

Spoiler

Here I am, landing my all-purpose munar lander "Joyce" on the polar crater of Edas! :D Although "landing" is giving it too much credit, it's rather a gentle brushing against Edas' surface.

Edited by JareeZy

21 hours ago, JareeZy said:

This has instantly become one of my favourite mods! I've always been fascinated by the lesser known and smaller bodies of our Solar System, which is a much more crowded space if you include them!

Hide contents

Here I am, landing my all-purpose munar lander "Joyce" on the polar crater of Edas! :D Although "landing" is giving it too much credit, it's rather a gentle brushing against Edas' surface.

I'm happy to hear it! This mod was a lot of fun to make, and I'm glad you share my feelings in respects to minor planets! Nice Edas landing by the way! Or- should I use the word docking? :P

24 minutes ago, Alaygrounds said:

Kottabos reviewed this mod but for some reason didn't include OPM
is he that stupid to not read past the first line or two?

Unfortunately Kottabos' review of my mod seems to be his laziest planet mod review yet.

Would this work with 1.7.3? I intend to try it out tomorrow but just wanted to find out if there would be any incompatibilities with running it on 1.7.3. OPM is already part of my game so I'm interested to see where each body lands up

9 hours ago, Elidnas said:

Would this work with 1.7.3? I intend to try it out tomorrow but just wanted to find out if there would be any incompatibilities with running it on 1.7.3. OPM is already part of my game so I'm interested to see where each body lands up

It should. I'm pretty sure it doesn't currently use anything whose syntax changed between 1.7.3 and 1.8.1, so as long as you have the 1.7.3 Kopernicus I don't see why it won't.

Edit: I'd still do it on a separate save first just to be safe

Edited by WarriorSabe

4 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

It should. I'm pretty sure it doesn't currently use anything whose syntax changed between 1.7.3 and 1.8.1, so as long as you have the 1.7.3 Kopernicus I don't see why it won't.

Edit: I'd still do it on a separate save first just to be safe

Seems to be working (at least at tracking station), no errors at startup. Minimal startup impact (my game seems to start in the same amount of time as it did before).

Will be a while before I get to see them up close as I'm still on Moho

On 4/11/2020 at 1:37 PM, Elidnas said:

Of course! MPE was actually built on and for 1.7.3 originally!

18 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

It seems that Zore is spherical though. I thought Psyche was irregular. Meh

Hmm, Zore is supposed to be irregular, something seems wrong...
I checked and the shape map seems to work on my end, perhaps something was wrong with the version uploaded?

If you want to have a proper Psyche, the fix shouldn't be hard, just go to Gamedata>MPE>KopConfigs and find Zore.cfg, and find this:
VertexHeightMap
                {
                    map = MPE/MPE_Textures/PluginData/Zore_shape.png
                    name = shape
                    offset = 0
                    deformity = 12000
                    scaleDeformityByRadius = False
                    order = 1
                    enabled = True
                }

Make sure that enabled = True, and if it still isn't working I'll have to look into this further...

4 hours ago, Exo's Lab said:

I checked and the shape map seems to work on my end, perhaps something was wrong with the version uploaded?

If you want to have a proper Psyche, the fix shouldn't be hard, just go to Gamedata>MPE>KopConfigs and find Zore.cfg, and find this:
VertexHeightMap
                {
                    name = shape
                    offset = 0
                    deformity = 12000
                    order = 1
                    enabled = True
                }

Make sure that enabled = True, and if it still isn't working I'll have to look into this further...

One question, will it wreck any spacecraft that are landed?

On 4/13/2020 at 7:56 AM, Exo's Lab said:

VertexHeightMap
                {
                    name = shape
                    offset = 0
                    deformity = 12000
                    order = 1
                    enabled = True
                }

I tried setting it to True (as it was False), but that did nothing to solve the problem.

I've always been fascinated by the lesser-known bodies in our solar system, so this mod might come in handy later on. 

Spoiler
On 4/10/2020 at 12:54 PM, Exo's Lab said:

Unfortunately Kottabos' review of my mod seems to be his laziest planet mod review yet.

I love Kottabos, but his videos can get a bit... repetitive.

14 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

I tried setting it to True (as it was False), but that did nothing to solve the problem.

Ok, my bad I forgot the last step.
Go to Gamedata>MPE>Cache and delete Zore.bin, that will rebuild the object. Spacecraft on the surface and in some cases even orbit will be at risk of exploding.

Also I have noticed a few bugs that may need ironing @Exo's Lab.

1. After landing a vessel on Zore and then going back to it, i find it has morphed underground, and accelerating through the floor causes an instantaneous explosion.

2. Moreover, while in orbit around Havous, I find that the light of the sun can be seen through the surface, and even solar panels register as having light even when the sun is completely occluded.

3. The ground texture on Kal seems to move unnaturally with the planet, meaning the textures stay in the same place relative to the spacecraft while the planet is rotating. This makes the ground seem like it is moving.

4. The ground on Ki’Ki, on the massive cliffside on the major lobe close to the north pole is extremely buggy registering as landed even though the object is hovering moreover a slight tap of 1 m/s on the real floor (which is below the visible floor) with the sturdy panels (Gigantors) causes the solar panel to violently break (not explode).

5. When in orbit, the apoapsis node around both Kal and Ki’Ki doesn’t seem to show up for me.

6. When changing warp to on rails when landed on Havous and then switching back to physics warp, the radar altimeter switches between 0 and the above sea level altitude of the landing area.

other than these minor nitpicks, this is an awesome mod, and the removal of Zore.bin fixed the issue!

Edited by mabdi36

Hey, still enjoy your mod tremendously (on a mission to Zore and just entered oribt around Vant), but Vant is invisible for me, onfortunately. It only becomes visible when I zoom out (and it is visible in map view), which makes landing a probe on it difficult. I assume LOD shenanigans. Any idea what I could change in the settings to make things reappear? I do play with scatterer, AVP and EVE.

3 hours ago, JareeZy said:

Hey, still enjoy your mod tremendously (on a mission to Zore and just entered oribt around Vant), but Vant is invisible for me, onfortunately. It only becomes visible when I zoom out (and it is visible in map view), which makes landing a probe on it difficult. I assume LOD shenanigans. Any idea what I could change in the settings to make things reappear? I do play with scatterer, AVP and EVE.

Try quicksaving and quickloading again

9 hours ago, JareeZy said:

I would do the quickloading that @mabdi36 suggested, I never had an issue like that while testing the mod, if quickloading doesn't solve the issue I'll have to consult some of my more experienced friends.

Edited by Exo's Lab

On 4/10/2020 at 12:54 PM, Exo's Lab said:

yep he used to give these mods some justice, now all he does is gripe about them, state all the problems for all of the community, doesn't even read planet descriptions anymore, and makes the creators feel bad that the mod got reviewed and there is no re review.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:30 PM, Alaygrounds said:

Kottabos reviewed this mod but for some reason didn't include OPM
is he that stupid to not read past the first line or two?

Kottabos Does bad mod reviews especially for planet mods as he tends to ignore them unless planets have rings, Stop the march of shaming modders kottabos is doing

I want to try this but GU+Extrasolar+KSPIE take most of my RAM, maybe on a different savegame tho