[1.12.x] [Planet Pack] Minor Planets Expansion

Exo's Lab

On 4/21/2020 at 1:03 AM, Mr. Ship Crasher said:

This should be compatible with DMAGIC orbital science/scansat.

I tried out the low res mapping radar on Edas a while back.  Seemed to work fine.  I've been meaning to check to see if there was more than one surface biome per planetoid.  Had some wackiness with Persistent Rotation with my spacecraft flipping over in a polar orbit while trying to keep the solar panel side facing the sun.  I haven't pulled the thread to see if that's unique to this mod.  Unfortunately, I've held off getting invested in a new Career, while I'm waiting for Kopernicus to upgrade to KSP 1.9.....

Edited by KSPrynk

On 4/23/2020 at 4:01 PM, KSPrynk said:

I've been meaning to check to see if there was more than one surface biome per planetoid.

I can confirm that there are indeed unique surface biomes for every object in this mod! Ervo has the most with 12 unique biomes, no object has under three biomes. Unique science defs will not be found in every single biome, as not all conditions don't always change in different biomes. However, most every biome has unique Crew/EVA/Surface Sample reports.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:03 AM, Mr. Ship Crasher said:

This should be compatible with DMAGIC orbital science/scansat.

DMAGIC and Kerbalism compatibility may come in the next update, but life is really busy right now so it that probably won't come until summer.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:11 PM, "Our Benefactors" said:

Really Cool mod! I love the Trans Neidonian objects! Halfway through a mission to Havous right now!

https://imgur.com/7SLUWtS

Rings are showing, I'm just at Kal so the inclination is matched

Awesome! Always love seeing people's missions to MPE's objects! If you encounter any issues please be sure to notify me! Have fun out there!

On 4/24/2020 at 3:32 AM, Profiremu23 said:

You can make this awesome planet pack a Real Solar System config version?

This is an extremely interesting request, and one I have never considered before. I wouldn't count on it, but such an alternate config might not be too hard to whip up. I seem to recall there being a minor planets pack for RSS already, which includes things like the real Vesta, Ida Eros, ect. I would look into that pack first.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:17 AM, Drew Kerman said:

The discoveries begin.... orbital diagram via the Ops Tracker

This was the most exciting thing I've woken up to in a very long time!
I am more than honored that MPE has been included in KSA! If you encounter any issues (like the notorious spherical-Zore, which I believe was fixed in release 1.0.2), please tell me ahead of an objects discovery so that they can be presented as intended!
I hope that you are enjoying MPE as much as I enjoyed making it!

On 4/15/2020 at 1:36 AM, mabdi36 said:

Also, can you take suggestions? If so, I would love it if you could add analogs for Orcus and Vanth

Orcus and Vanth have actually been suggested in the past, and I currently am debating whether or not I want to add more objects to MPE's already decently sized object roster. I can say that if more was to be added, it would be in a separate pack, a "MPE2" or "MPEE" or something.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:45 PM, Exo's Lab said:

I would do the quickloading that @mabdi36 suggested, I never had an issue like that while testing the mod, if quickloading doesn't solve the issue I'll have to consult some of my more experienced friends.

Hey. So I did try this method and unfortunately it didnt work but I just landed on laythe and have the same thing happening to the ground belonging to the dunes biome (I assume you used those for vant?)  SOOO I guess something is wrong with my install and not your mod. But thanks (and thanks madbi36) for trying to help me out!

Edited by JareeZy

1 hour ago, JareeZy said:

Hey. So I did try this method and unfortunately it didnt work but I just landed on laythe and have the same thing happening to the ground belonging to the dunes biome (I assume you used those for vant?)  SOOO I guess something is wrong with my install and not your mod. But thanks (and thanks madbi36) for trying to help me out!

Hmm, that's interesting. Ervo does use Laythe as a template but Vant doesn't use a thing from Laythe.
This might be an issue with your install, and maybe you should report the bug to squad.

2 hours ago, JareeZy said:

I have the EXACT same biome with the ground from Laythe’s Dunes missing!

Edited by mabdi36

Huh, so at least its not just me. For what it's worth, I started a new game on the same install and Vant had textures (but still was fading out as I was zooming away). Unfortunately there is no quick way for me to land something on Laythes dunes to confirm (Im not that good a player), but I assume the textures are there. So now the question is how to get the textures back into my save file...

EDIT: Nah, Laythe is missing its dune texture on a new save aswell. I uninstalled all graphical mods (AVP, scatter, EVE etc) and checked again, but still missing... super weird.

Edited by JareeZy

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 5:11 AM, alberro+ said:

Is it just me, or do some bodies have strange peaks or dents at the poles? 

That's an issue with the way ksp handles celestial bodies; it happens because for some reason the point right at the north pole has its elevation set by the game to match that of the south pole.

You'll notice most stock worlds have it to some degree (that's the origin of the mohole, that one was just turned into an easter egg due to how extreme it was), the only ones that I know don't at all are Laythe and Kerbin, since they have flat ice caps at both poles (and if you want to be pedantic Jool and the Sun since they don't have surfaces to get spikes or holes in).

• 2 weeks later...

I think the biomes on Edas might be a bit screwed up, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or something with my install.

Spoiler

SCANsat lists there being three (Surface, Craters, Polar Crater), but all of the craters that ring the middle of Edas are showing as being Polar Crater rather than Craters (which was confirmed upon landing at one). I looked at Edas_biomes.png and it looks like the Polar Crater biome at the top isn't showing up as it should, with that area showing as the Surface biome instead (with its grey coloration, see linked image).

I tried deleting Cache/Edas.bin, but nothing changed after it was regenerated.

Edit for two more Edas oddities:

While in map view, the Ap marker for the orbit never appears, despite being in a stable orbit.

Orbital surveying also seems to be busted. Whenever I try to perform an orbital survey with the scanner, it tells me I need to be in a stable polar orbit between 25km and 4km (with the range in that order, higher value first). However, I can't seem to meet these requirements- I've tried a variety of polar orbits with Ap & Pe being various values between 4km and 25km, but still get the same message.

Edited by redbeard

• 4 weeks later...

Been checking this mod out in sandbox in preparation for a new career. I cheated craft out to Lint/Mikey, Zore, Geito and Ervo and landed on all of them and they are all pretty rad. Made sure to land in a lake on Ervo.

I'm really glad a mod like this exists. Combining this with Outer Planets really makes the Kerbol system feel complete, plus I'm a huge fan of Gilly so a mod full of objects as small or smaller than it is all the way my jam, and Sedna is my favorite real-life solar system object so a Sedna analogue also rules. I'm looking forward to how much a nightmare it will be to actually reach these places (especially Geito) in career mode.

Edited by Cubivore

On 5/30/2020 at 12:50 PM, zeant93 said:

Hi, is Principia compatible with this mod?

I admit I'm not sure how Principia works, it wasn't a major focus during development. I'm not even sure if planet mods require a Principia config or if Principia makes its own velocity calculations. I'll ask some friends.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:50 PM, redbeard said:

I think the biomes on Edas might be a bit screwed up, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or something with my install.

Reveal hidden contents

SCANsat lists there being three (Surface, Craters, Polar Crater), but all of the craters that ring the middle of Edas are showing as being Polar Crater rather than Craters (which was confirmed upon landing at one). I looked at Edas_biomes.png and it looks like the Polar Crater biome at the top isn't showing up as it should, with that area showing as the Surface biome instead (with its grey coloration, see linked image).

I tried deleting Cache/Edas.bin, but nothing changed after it was regenerated.

Edit for two more Edas oddities:

While in map view, the Ap marker for the orbit never appears, despite being in a stable orbit.

Orbital surveying also seems to be busted. Whenever I try to perform an orbital survey with the scanner, it tells me I need to be in a stable polar orbit between 25km and 4km (with the range in that order, higher value first). However, I can't seem to meet these requirements- I've tried a variety of polar orbits with Ap & Pe being various values between 4km and 25km, but still get the same message.

Yikes, I'll look into Edas' issues, they don't sound terribly hard to fix, so that might've been some ill configuring on my end.

On 6/22/2020 at 7:32 PM, Cubivore said:

Been checking this mod out in sandbox in preparation for a new career. I cheated craft out to Lint/Mikey, Zore, Geito and Ervo and landed on all of them and they are all pretty rad. Made sure to land in a lake on Ervo.

I'm really glad a mod like this exists. Combining this with Outer Planets really makes the Kerbol system feel complete, plus I'm a huge fan of Gilly so a mod full of objects as small or smaller than it is all the way my jam, and Sedna is my favorite real-life solar system object so a Sedna analogue also rules. I'm looking forward to how much a nightmare it will be to actually reach these places (especially Geito) in career mode.

I'm really glad to hear it! MPE was created for the exact reason of making the stock solar system feel as populated as the real one, I hope you enjoy exploring my passion project!

On 7/1/2020 at 11:48 AM, KSPrynk said:

@Exo's Lab, now that KSP 1.10 has dropped, have you thought about adding the new comet coma/tail FX to Geito and Lint/Mikey?  That would look fantastic.

Kop 1.10 is bug testing only. Pretty much all planet packs won't move to 1.10 till the end of july.:/

13 hours ago, Shawn Kerman said:

Kop 1.10 is bug testing only. Pretty much all planet packs won't move to 1.10 till the end of july.:/

True.  But that's also free time to figure out how the effects work in the base game.  So far, I've found CometDefs.cfg in the Squad\Resources folder.  The parameters are surprisingly well documented with comments.

There's also part.cfg in GameData\Squad\Parts\Misc\PotatoComet.

I was going to see if I could briefly turn Minmus into a comet.  Alternatively, it may require spawning arbitrarily sized Stock comets inside the MPE cometary objects,  to give something for the VFX to latch onto.

Edited by KSPrynk
More .cfgs found

On 7/1/2020 at 2:48 PM, KSPrynk said:

@Exo's Lab, now that KSP 1.10 has dropped, have you thought about adding the new comet coma/tail FX to Geito and Lint/Mikey?  That would look fantastic.

Once Kop 1.10 drops, that is the plan!
I'll need some time to figure out how comets work, hopefully they're as simple as you say they are.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:24 AM, JareeZy said:

Hey, still enjoy your mod tremendously (on a mission to Zore and just entered oribt around Vant), but Vant is invisible for me, onfortunately. It only becomes visible when I zoom out (and it is visible in map view), which makes landing a probe on it difficult. I assume LOD shenanigans. Any idea what I could change in the settings to make things reappear? I do play with scatterer, AVP and EVE.

If you still experience this issue, it is now fixed for sure.

@Exo's Lab, thanks so much for this planet pack, they look great and am really looking forward to exploring them.  I've just started a career in 1.9 using stock planets + OPM + MPE with Kopernicus 1.9.1-4 and have also found this is bare install with 1.8.1 using Kopernicus 1.8.1-1 that if I also add in a planet pack that adds a second sun such as Extrasolar or Grannus Expansion Pack, your planets become quite dark.  I believe it is something with your planets as Stock, OPM, GEP DO NOT become any darker.  I've attached a couple of screenshots of Soden for reference, but have found this for all of your planets.  This seems to happen both with your current release and your 1.03 release.

Just in case they are helpful, attaching 1.8.1 log files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aOp9pk2Fl03hgxGPHt_a_khtC2lnW7_q/view?usp=sharing

Screenshots:

Spoiler

2pOPix7.png

VTyZUTu.png

Edited by hemeac
Typo

1 hour ago, hemeac said:

@Exo's Lab, thanks so much for this planet pack, they look great and am really looking forward to exploring them.  I've just started a career in 1.9 using stock planets + OPM + MPE with Kopernicus 1.9.1-4 and have also found this is bare install with 1.8.1 using Kopernicus 1.8.1-1 that if I also add in a planet pack that adds a second sun such as Extrasolar or Grannus Expansion Pack, your planets become quite dark.  I believe it is something with your planets as Stock, OPM, GEP DO NOT become any darker.  I've attached a couple of screenshots of Soden for reference, but have found this for all of your planets.  This seems to happen both with your current release and your 1.03 release.

Just in case they are helpful, attaching 1.8.1 log files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aOp9pk2Fl03hgxGPHt_a_khtC2lnW7_q/view?usp=sharing

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

2pOPix7.png

VTyZUTu.png

I will look into this, thank you for the bug report.

Can you confirm this happens for all of my planets? Even those in the asteroid belt?
Mods that add additional stars usually add a lightcurve to the sun, which stock does not have. I would've expected Soden to become quite dark under that circumstance. If this happens to objects like Vant and Zore, then there's a problem here I can get at.

Edited by Exo's Lab

1 hour ago, hemeac said:

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

2pOPix7.png

VTyZUTu.png

To be clear, that is all of the MPE bodies, not just the ones past Plock?

Edit - ninja'd it seems

Edited by WarriorSabe