[1.12.x] [Planet Pack] Minor Planets Expansion

Exo's Lab

On 4/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, Exo's Lab said:

MPE has not been tested on Kopernicus Continued for 1.9.1

We have some who have been filing reports against it though.  We have an issue right now, as a matter of fact, we are trying to interpret and deal with.

The issue report is here, and includes an image of the body and summary of the issue:

https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/issues/26

Could anyone here just tell me the following so i can try to get a handle on this?

What body is this? (that's the big one)

Is flickering/glitching on this body a "known issue?" (I noted some bodies do have known "physics issues in local space" in OP, which could mean bug is on your end.).

BTW, the goal by CKAN release is for Kopernicus 1.9.1 to be "Drop in ready" to use with 1.8 planet packs, so there is no reason it should behave any different here than the old 1.8.1 Kopernicus, behaviorally.  We'll let you know when we get there.

Edited by R-T-B

7 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

We have some who have been filing reports against it though.  We have an issue right now, as a matter of fact, we are trying to interpret and deal with.

The issue report is here, and includes an image of the body and summary of the issue:

https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/issues/26

Could anyone here just tell me the following so i can try to get a handle on this?

What body is this? (that's the big one)

Is flickering/glitching on this body a "known issue?" (I noted some bodies do have known "physics issues in local space" in OP, which could mean bug is on your end.).

BTW, the goal by CKAN release is for Kopernicus 1.9.1 to be "Drop in ready" to use with 1.8 planet packs, so there is no reason it should behave any different here than the old 1.8.1 Kopernicus, behaviorally.  We'll let you know when we get there.

It's Lint/Mikey.  I'll pop in my 1.9.1 save and see if I see anything related to the raised issue in Github.

6 minutes ago, hemeac said:

It's Lint/Mikey.  I'll pop in my 1.9.1 save and see if I see anything related to the raised issue in Github.

The reporter is known to run on a potato PC so that would be appreciated (no offense to him).

EDIT:  Wait, I have him confused with someone else, still, do test to rule out potential potato PC interference.

Edited by R-T-B

23 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

The reporter is known to run on a potato PC so that would be appreciated (no offense to him).

EDIT:  Wait, I have him confused with someone else, still, do test to rule out potential potato PC interference.

I will post a log file in Github for you to potentially compare if useful, but I wasn't able to reproduce the flickering, lag, or moving textures within a heavily modded save while using 1.9.1 alongside Kopernicus 1.9.1-6.

Thanks.  I will assume other mods or maybe even hardware issues are at play until told otherwise in a reproducible fashion.

This is not to say this pack runs perfectly, I've no idea, but at least that bug doesn't seem valid.

Edited by R-T-B

On 7/26/2020 at 12:32 AM, R-T-B said:

Thanks.  I will assume other mods or maybe even hardware issues are at play until told otherwise in a reproducible fashion.

This is not to say this pack runs perfectly, I've no idea, but at least that bug doesn't seem valid.

I have never seen such an issue with terrain itself flickering, I have seen some occasional issues with shaders moving incorrectly (which is hard to fix when your computer can't run them :/), but nothing as dramatic as in this bug report.  I'll look into it once I get the chance.

3 hours ago, Exo's Lab said:

I have never seen such an issue with terrain itself flickering, I have seen some occasional issues with shaders moving incorrectly (which is hard to fix when your computer can't run them :/), but nothing as dramatic as in this bug report.  I'll look into it once I get the chance.

On the Github issues page linked above (and here: https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/issues/26), we noticed that your fadestart and fadeend were incorrectly defined, but that didn't seem to be the cause of the issue.  I however found that Lint-Mikey wasn't unique as I found a planet that had similar behavior in the Grannus Expansion Pack.

10 hours ago, hemeac said:

On the Github issues page linked above (and here: https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/issues/26), we noticed that your fadestart and fadeend were incorrectly defined, but that didn't seem to be the cause of the issue.  I however found that Lint-Mikey wasn't unique as I found a planet that had similar behavior in the Grannus Expansion Pack.

The issue seems to be common on worlds with a high deformity; I have a suspicion that inverseRotThresholdAltitude is involved in the latter, terrain moving issue. I haven't tested it yet, but I think it might be when you are above the inverseRotThresholdAltitude but below the scaledVersion fades. You (or just someone in general) can try looking around there for the issue.

I noticed a number of inconsistencies while visiting a few of the bodies added in this mod, and decided to do a deep-ish dive into the files. Here are some of the errors I found (and fixed, but I don't know how I should distribute them):

Archae re-added Lonely Glacier (91b4cc)
Fixed Edas biomes (incorrect colors in .cfg) [b3b49e, d4d4d4, a0a19b] (Can't remember what the hex numbers were before I changed them)
Ervo re-added Minor Glacier Field (Iuvenis Planitia) (9e9e7b)
Havous re-added Valles Parvus (ffafaf)
Lint-Mikey now refers to the proper biomes.png (Which I just noticed was already fixed)
Soden re-added Liber Planitia (895d55)
Vant fixed multiple biomes [ffffff, 810d96, 7867d8, ff7b00, a7b4a8, a3f0ff, 283a3d] (a number of the biomes had bad hex numbers, leading to multiple colors being assigned to the same biome; can't remember which ones)

I also noticed that, while descending to Vant,  the asteroid will simply... disappear/become invisible within mid-altitude ranges, only to reappear on getting slightly closer. It appears that there is some discrepancy between the distant rendering and the up-close rendering of the asteroid- whatever the technical terms of this are, I don't know, but I do know the issue exists.

<s> I wasn't aware of any stealth technology mods that I may have had installed, so it really made me scratch my head </s>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wondering if in the future you might add Ultima Thule (now arrakoth but im too used to Ultima too change my ways) anyway lovely mod. always thought exploration of tiny bodies was interesting and now i can make my own dwarf planet fly-bys and orbiters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why aren't there shades applied to the rings in my game? I've seen some screenshots of it working in other games but mine just seems to not want to cooperate. I'm playing in 1.8.1, I've tried downloading the mod from CKAN and Space dock but they haven't worked, is there an extra mod I need? Also, I saw some people talk about rings working in scaled space, what is that?

1.10.1, Kopernicus BE v29, OPM, MPE, SD 2.667x rescale (same as JNSQ).

Many things in this mod are broken on the aforementioned setup (Not sure who is the real culprit there, though - might as well be Kopernicus or SD bugs!). Examples: Vant has "ghost" surface (it disappears when you fly close to it, and then gradually appears from nothing when you fly even closer), Havous has a bugged surface which explodes your ship on landing, Mracksis has a totally different surface colors when close. Surprisingly, small stuff (Edas, Geito etc) work fine. For now, I'm keeping the mod solely for fly-by targets, and maybe an occasional NEAR-like mission.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:20 AM, Iodyne said:

I was just making a dedicated repository.

This pack needs its own repository for easy contribution of fixes.

Even it there is no release for months there will be a fork with a branch with all fixes to be downloaded in one .zip for everybody, instead of digging the forum page by page to gather thoses fixes.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:20 AM, Iodyne said:

@Exo's Lab

Kerbalism radiation belt for Ervo

You should contribute that as a Kerbalism support patch to Kerbalism itself to unclutter the mod folder.

My contributions so far (see, we need a Github repo):

GameData\MPE\Localization\ResearchBodies.cfg

Localization
{
	en-us
	{
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Archae = Archae gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Crokslev = Crokslev gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Edas = Edas gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Ervo = Ervo gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Flake = Flake gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Geito = Geito gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Havous = Havous gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Kal = Kal gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_KiKi = Ki'Ki gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_LintMikey = Lint-Mikey gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Lon = Lon gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Mracksis = Mracksis gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Soden = Soden gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Vant = Vant gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Zore = Zore gibberish.
	}
}

GameData\MPE\Patches\MPE_ResearchBodies.cfg

RESEARCHBODIES:NEEDS[ResearchBodies]
{
	loadAs = mod
	name = MPE
	ONDISCOVERY
	{
		Archae = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Archae 
		Crokslev = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Crokslev
		Edas = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Edas
		Ervo = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Ervo
		Flake = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Flake
		Geito = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Geito
		Havous = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Havous
		Kal = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Kal
		Ki'Ki = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_KiKi
		Lint-Mikey = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_LintMikey
		Lon = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Lon
		Mracksis = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Mracksis
		Soden = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Soden
		Vant = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Vant
		Zore = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Zore
	}
	IGNORELEVELS
	{
		// body = easy normal medium hard
		Archae = false false false false
		Crokslev = false false false false
		Edas = false false false false
		Ervo = false false false false
		Flake = false false false false
		Geito = false false false false
		Havous = false false false false
		Kal = false false false false
		Ki'Ki = false false false false
		Lint-Mikey = false false false false
		Lon = false false false false
		Mracksis = false false false false
		Soden = false false false false
		Vant = false false false false
		Zore = false false false false
	}
}

@PART[TrackBodiesTelescope]:NEEDS[!OPM,MPE,!GPP]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleTrackBodies]
	{
		showUpgradesInModuleInfo = true
		UPGRADES
		{
			UPGRADE
			{
				name__ = RB_Upgrade
				scienceReward = 50
				difficulty = 6
				minAltitude = 500000
				maxTrackDistance = 9E+11
				@maxTrackDistance *= 13.44
				electricChargeRequest = 75
				description__ = Upgrade for ResearchBodies Telescope.
			}
		}
	}
}

@PART[TrackBodiesTelescope]:NEEDS[OPM,MPE,!GPP]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]
{
	{
		%showUpgradesInModuleInfo = true
		@UPGRADES
		{
			@UPGRADE:HAS[#difficulty[6]]
			{
				@electricChargeRequest = 75
			}
		}
	}
}

PARTUPGRADE:NEEDS[!OPM,MPE,!GPP,ResearchBodies]
{
	name = RB_Upgrade
	partIcon = TrackBodiesTelescope
	techRequired = artificialIntelligence
	title = Discovery Telescope Upgrade
	basicInfo = Upgrade ResearchBodies Telescope
	description = Increases the telescope's range to ~12.1 Tm, roughly 302.4x its original range and nearly 26.9x Plock's distance from The Sun.
	entryCost = 3375000
}

@PARTUPGRADE[RB_Upgrade]:NEEDS[OPM,MPE,!GPP]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]
{
	@techRequired = artificialIntelligence
	@description = Increases the telescope's range to ~12.1 Tm, roughly 302.4x its original range and nearly 26.9x Plock's distance from The Sun.
	@entryCost = 3375000
}

I also put that Kerbalism patch there for now and renamed it according the same pattern.

Edited by Gordon Dry
updated GameData\MPE\Patches\MPE_ResearchBodies.cfg

9 hours ago, AlexIsAHuman said:

Why aren't there shades applied to the rings in my game? I've seen some screenshots of it working in other games but mine just seems to not want to cooperate. I'm playing in 1.8.1, I've tried downloading the mod from CKAN and Space dock but they haven't worked, is there an extra mod I need? Also, I saw some people talk about rings working in scaled space, what is that?

It was removed at some point because the way Kopernicus currently handles those shadows is really buggy for most users. The screenshots are from when they were still present.

I gathered all the stuff together and created my own repo, please check it out:
https://github.com/Gordon-Dry/Minor-Planets-Expansion

It's the same MIT license, I just added the names of all the involved providers prior creating the Github repo:

MIT License

Copyright (c) 2020 Exo's Lab & Ilodyne & Coolguybest & hemeac & Gordon-Dry

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

I would like to formally apologize for my inactivity on the forums. Life has been busy and I have been focused on other endeavors over the summer. I am honored to see that people still talk about and report bugs for this mod even during my radio silence, which I once again apologize for. This mod isn't dead, but my motivation to work on it was. That is changing now, and I am in the beginning phase of resurrecting this mod using skills I have gained while working on a different mod (which will now be taking a back-burner to a major MPE update). I have some big plans and I now know what I'm doing.

If you would like to contact me, you can reach me much easier through discord, you can find me on the Gregrox Mods server where I have my own channel. 

Thank you for your continued interests in MPE, I will make it up to you.

On 7/30/2020 at 10:18 AM, Coolguybest said:

I noticed a number of inconsistencies while visiting a few of the bodies added in this mod, and decided to do a deep-ish dive into the files. Here are some of the errors I found (and fixed, but I don't know how I should distribute them):

Archae re-added Lonely Glacier (91b4cc)
Fixed Edas biomes (incorrect colors in .cfg) [b3b49e, d4d4d4, a0a19b] (Can't remember what the hex numbers were before I changed them)
Ervo re-added Minor Glacier Field (Iuvenis Planitia) (9e9e7b)
Havous re-added Valles Parvus (ffafaf)
Lint-Mikey now refers to the proper biomes.png (Which I just noticed was already fixed)
Soden re-added Liber Planitia (895d55)
Vant fixed multiple biomes [ffffff, 810d96, 7867d8, ff7b00, a7b4a8, a3f0ff, 283a3d] (a number of the biomes had bad hex numbers, leading to multiple colors being assigned to the same biome; can't remember which ones)

I also noticed that, while descending to Vant,  the asteroid will simply... disappear/become invisible within mid-altitude ranges, only to reappear on getting slightly closer. It appears that there is some discrepancy between the distant rendering and the up-close rendering of the asteroid- whatever the technical terms of this are, I don't know, but I do know the issue exists.

<s> I wasn't aware of any stealth technology mods that I may have had installed, so it really made me scratch my head </s>

Yikes, MPE is full of rookie mistakes like this, I will see to it that these config issues are corrected in the new version.

On 9/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, Relonsk said:

Soden Terrain is broken in 1.9.1 Kopernicius, please try to fix the issue.

I will do my best, has Kopernicus been updated or are you using KopContinued?

On 9/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, Gordon Dry said:

This pack needs its own repository for easy contribution of fixes.

Even it there is no release for months there will be a fork with a branch with all fixes to be downloaded in one .zip for everybody, instead of digging the forum page by page to gather thoses fixes.

You should contribute that as a Kerbalism support patch to Kerbalism itself to unclutter the mod folder.

My contributions so far (see, we need a Github repo):

GameData\MPE\Localization\ResearchBodies.cfg

Localization
{
	en-us
	{
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Archae = Archae gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Crokslev = Crokslev gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Edas = Edas gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Ervo = Ervo gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Flake = Flake gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Geito = Geito gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Havous = Havous gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Kal = Kal gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_KiKi = Ki'Ki gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_LintMikey = Lint-Mikey gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Lon = Lon gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Mracksis = Mracksis gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Soden = Soden gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Vant = Vant gibberish.
		#autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Zore = Zore gibberish.
	}
}

GameData\MPE\Patches\MPE_ResearchBodies.cfg

RESEARCHBODIES:NEEDS[ResearchBodies]
{
	loadAs = mod
	name = MPE
	ONDISCOVERY
	{
		Archae = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Archae 
		Crokslev = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Crokslev
		Edas = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Edas
		Ervo = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Ervo
		Flake = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Flake
		Geito = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Geito
		Havous = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Havous
		Kal = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Kal
		Ki'Ki = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_KiKi
		Lint-Mikey = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_LintMikey
		Lon = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Lon
		Mracksis = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Mracksis
		Soden = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Soden
		Vant = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Vant
		Zore = #autoLOC_RBodies_discovery_Zore
	}
	IGNORELEVELS
	{
		// body = easy normal medium hard
		Archae = false false false false
		Crokslev = false false false false
		Edas = false false false false
		Ervo = false false false false
		Flake = false false false false
		Geito = false false false false
		Havous = false false false false
		Kal = false false false false
		Ki'Ki = false false false false
		Lint-Mikey = false false false false
		Lon = false false false false
		Mracksis = false false false false
		Soden = false false false false
		Vant = false false false false
		Zore = false false false false
	}
}

@PART[TrackBodiesTelescope]:NEEDS[!OPM,MPE,!GPP]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]
{
	{
		showUpgradesInModuleInfo = true
		UPGRADES
		{
			UPGRADE
			{
				name__ = RB_Upgrade
				scienceReward = 50
				difficulty = 6
				minAltitude = 500000
				maxTrackDistance = 9E+11
				electricChargeRequest = 75
				description__ = Upgrade for ResearchBodies Telescope.
			}
		}
	}
}

@PART[TrackBodiesTelescope]:NEEDS[OPM,MPE,!GPP]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]
{
	{
		%showUpgradesInModuleInfo = true
		@UPGRADES
		{
			@UPGRADE:HAS[#difficulty[6]]
			{
				@electricChargeRequest = 75
			}
		}
	}
}

PARTUPGRADE:NEEDS[!OPM,MPE,!GPP,ResearchBodies]
{
	name = RB_Upgrade
	partIcon = TrackBodiesTelescope
	techRequired = artificialIntelligence
	title = Discovery Telescope Upgrade
	basicInfo = Upgrade ResearchBodies Telescope
	description = Increases the telescope's range to ~12.1 Tm, roughly 302.4x its original range and nearly 26.9x Plock's distance from The Sun.
	entryCost = 3375000
}

@PARTUPGRADE[RB_Upgrade]:NEEDS[OPM,MPE,!GPP]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]
{
	@techRequired = artificialIntelligence
	@description = Increases the telescope's range to ~12.1 Tm, roughly 302.4x its original range and nearly 26.9x Plock's distance from The Sun.
	@entryCost = 3375000
}

I also put that Kerbalism patch there for now and renamed it according the same pattern.

Thank you for this very useful repository, I'm sure people will find it extremely helpful. The next release should patch out the major bugs, keep an eye out.

Edited by Exo's Lab

22 minutes ago, Exo's Lab said:

I would like to formally apologize for my inactivity on the forums. Life has been busy and I have been focused on other endeavors over the summer. I am honored to see that people still talk about and report bugs for this mod even during my radio silence, which I once again apologize for. This mod isn't dead, but my motivation to work on it was. That is changing now, and I am in the beginning phase of resurrecting this mod using skills I have gained while working on a different mod (which will now be taking a back-burner to a major MPE update). I have some big plans and I now know what I'm doing.

If you would like to contact me, you can reach me much easier through discord, you can find me on the Gregrox Mods server where I have my own channel. 

Thank you for your continued interests in MPE, I will make it up to you.

Yikes, MPE is full of rookie mistakes like this, I will see to it that these config issues are corrected in the new version.

I will do my best, has Kopernicus been updated or are you using KopContinued?

Thank you for this very useful repository, I'm sure people will find it extremely helpful. The next release should patch out the major bugs, keep an eye out.

THanks for looking deeper into that, and i'm using the Kopcontinued thing.