Shuttle Challenge v6 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - ANNOUNCEMENT: v7 IS LIVE!

I present to you. Duna STS-3. Took some time. I am certainly puzzled by the fact that I had yet again redesigned Launch System. I think I only had the same launch system when I was constructing Adria Station... LAME once again need more work to be something that I want to take for Jool. 

Large tanks of the launch system are from Near Future Launch Vehicles.

U97ue6w.png

PQZwfb3.png

Labeled DUNA STS-3 report at Github (65 images)

Gibberish order full Imgur gallery (137 images)

Today was a successful KSC day for me. I first fixed my installation, and then completed MUN STS-5 and MUN STS-6, the first two missions of the Munar LOP-G space station mission. Since my shuttle has twin cargo bays I decided to build two LOP-G at the same time, both in the same orbital plane but orbiting in opposite directions. MUN STS-5 lifted the propulsion and power units, while MUN STS-6 lifted the science bays. The plan is to do MUN STS-7 tomorrow, completing the stations with habitation modules and boosting them into their final orbits. As before I landed both shuttles and boosters on the KSC runway.

Mission reports here: https://imgur.com/a/jFnxdZy   and https://imgur.com/a/ROfemaL

Some highlights:

gPlU1Yh.png

Releasing the Power & Propulsion unit of the second LOP-G during MUN STS-5

ANrQE2E.png

MUN STS-6: Releasing the first LOP-G after adding a science module. The science module for the other LOP-G can be seen in the port cargo bay

GXWEs7P.png

Both LOP-G stations orbiting the MUN. They are both in almost exactly the same polar orbital plane and orbit in opposite directions.

Edited by QF9E

2 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

Does this challenge also count in RSS/RO Rp1 , once i get to the shuttle era i would like to summit my Shuttle for this challenge :D

I am still in the 50s so you have plenty amount of time to respond :)

If you can build a successful shuttle in RSS/RO, you should have no trouble building one for this challenge. However, you will have to use the stock planets, as many of the mission requirements are designed around them specifically.

I completed the final Munar Shuttle mission, MUN STS-7. I completed both my LOP-G stations with 2 hab modules each before raising the orbit of one of them to a 2000 km circular orbit. I also landed both my shuttle and the booster on the KSC runway. Full mission report here: https://imgur.com/a/3ez2Vit

Some mission highlights:

CViKA3P.png

Release of the 2nd of my LOP-Gs after completion. It consists of a propulsion and power unit (the top bit with the ion thruster and solar panels), a science bay annex docking station (the lower vertical portion) and two hab modules capable of housing 12 Kerbals (the two arms).

vml9DEl.png

Both my LOP-G in their final orbit. The outer LOP-G has been raised to an altitude of 2000 km by using its ion thruster

14 hours ago, Yakez said:

I present to you. Duna STS-3. Took some time. I am certainly puzzled by the fact that I had yet again redesigned Launch System. I think I only had the same launch system when I was constructing Adria Station... LAME once again need more work to be something that I want to take for Jool. 

Your crafts look like something from a good science fiction movie, I love it. The mission looks good, although I think you made things harder than necessary. Or maybe you're just showing off. Either way, here is your well deserved Commander badge!

Jqo0jjf.png?1

2 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Your crafts look like something from a good science fiction movie, I love it. The mission looks good, although I think you made things harder than necessary. Or maybe you're just showing off. Either way, here is your well deserved Commander badge!

Jqo0jjf.png?1

Thanks! Lander itself is rather unbalanced and rely on 4 reaction wheels to be stable at low fuel, not the brightest design. And I just put over 2k delta V in it to be safe and Maris Station was just sitting there doing nothing with all the delta V. if I initially knew that it would take 20+ burns to get to poles...

I really just wanted to test viability of such lander if I ever would go and place actual base to Duna Surface. If I slap more radiators next time definitely can work. And this video made the rest.

Spoiler

While I was preventing burnout by creating new modded shuttle I stumbled across this awesome mod:

While it is abandoned it still work for the most part. However there is no compatibility with TweakScale and I wanted actual 3.75m size instead standard of 2.5m.

Since I do have some experience in modding other games I have made small patch for TweakScale, so it would work with this mod. Everything aside some wing orientation glitches and one of the pods  do work. For the most part all glitches and weird stuff would require modification of the modification. 

CODE:

1. Duplicate any .cfg with a new name in Gamedata/TweakScale/Patches. (called mine TCS_TweakScale.cfg)

2. Then replace contents with this inside:

Spoiler

// ** Flat bottom spaceplane

// ** Pods and crew

@PART[K1-Classic]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[KargoModule]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriAero]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriAeroShort]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[BirdPod]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriCrew]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

// ** Fuel

@PART[TriFuelShort]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriFuel_Insert]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriTail]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriTailTwo]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[BasicSmallTank]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

// ** Adapters

@PART[MK2_5Adapter]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[Mk3_Tri_Adapter]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriAdapter2_5]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

// ** Cargo

@PART[TriCargoBottom]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriCargoTop]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[BelugaCargoAdapter]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

// ** Auxiliary

@PART[TriEnginePlate]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriDockingModule]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriDockingModuleSr]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriDecoupler]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriRCSBlock]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

// ** Wings

@PART[wingAttachmentSystem]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[PSShuttleWing]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriShuttleFlapsLeft]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriShuttleFlapsLeftOutboard]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriShuttleFlapsRight]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[TriShuttleFlapsRightOutboard]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[PSCurvedWing]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[CurvedWingLeftFlap]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[CurvedWingRightFlap]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[SweptWing]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[LeftSweptEngineFlap]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[SweptEngineFlap]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[SweptFlapB]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[SweptFlapB2]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[PSWingHeavy]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[InboardLeft]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[InboardRight]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[OutboardLeft]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

@PART[OutboardRight]
    {
        %MODULE[TweakScale]
        {
            type = stack
            defaultScale = 2.5
        }
    }

RhWKPvB.png

In this image mod parts are scaled to 3.75m size.

Edited by Yakez

Sometimes all it takes is a bit of patience. I completed test mission STS-6T, booster recovery. I made a one-off version of my shuttle that is boosted by a pair of SRBs instead of the usual flyback booster, and made a recovery ship to collect the booster. The mission did not. however, go without a hitch: at some point the game crashed and as I had been unable to save (because I was in a moving surface vessel), I used Hyperedit to get the correct game state back. I was not going to run the mission again - 15 minutes of straight line sailing in x4 physics warp is a tad too boring for me. I managed to grab my booster and bring it back to the KSC.

Full report here: https://imgur.com/a/oVAitNw

Some highlights:

V0Bi4LA.png

Uncrewed Gemini shuttle in flight. Note the stubby SRBs instead of the much bigger flyback booster. This version can reach orbit but needs a hefty OMS burn to do so.

P6RN9aT.png

Booster splashdown

o8yVEvC.png

Booster recovered, on the way back home.

Mwqq52u.png

Back at the KSC with the booster

Edited by QF9E

Following materials are for the internal use only. T.O.P. secret.

FAQ9puy.png

SMM06 type 4 "Settia Senitia"

Further step in SMM cargo capacity. While hull is limited by 3.75m width with factory dimensions of Yakez interstellar Corporation it certainly almost doubles total volume over SMM type 1.

Cargo bay like that can swallow half of Adria Station easily. However it comes with a price. Previous military demands to have flexible long rage supersonic Starplane  were lifted. Currently Settia Senitia undergoes sub-orbital trials.

Huge budget cuts force YIC to actually test everything on actual production model. Totally reasonable?

Report of  test pilot Summer Kerman states: "Flies like a slow avocado."

STS-1T entry

Edited by Yakez

That flat-bottom shuttle is cool looking. I think someone may have used it in the v5 thread, but I'm not sure.

I see there are some new missions to review. I'm "working" right now, so I'll have to get to them later. Thank you for your patience, and fly safe!

16 hours ago, QF9E said:

I completed the final Munar Shuttle mission, MUN STS-7. I completed both my LOP-G stations with 2 hab modules each before raising the orbit of one of them to a 2000 km circular orbit. I also landed both my shuttle and the booster on the KSC runway. Full mission report here: https://imgur.com/a/3ez2Vit

Why build one LOP-G when you can build two? And what better shuttle to do it in than a Gemini? I was surprised you could get a relatively short burn time on the one station with only a single Dawn engine, but then I guess it's not that heavy. As for the one missing landing screenshot, I'll give you that one since you've used this shuttle design plenty of times now. Please try to remember next time though.

Nice work! Here is your shiny new Commander badge:

w1diq3g.png?1

10 hours ago, QF9E said:

Sometimes all it takes is a bit of patience. I completed test mission STS-6T, booster recovery. I made a one-off version of my shuttle that is boosted by a pair of SRBs instead of the usual flyback booster, and made a recovery ship to collect the booster. The mission did not. however, go without a hitch: at some point the game crashed and as I had been unable to save (because I was in a moving surface vessel), I used Hyperedit to get the correct game state back. I was not going to run the mission again - 15 minutes of straight line sailing in x4 physics warp is a tad too boring for me. I managed to grab my booster and bring it back to the KSC.

The Kraken really doesn't like you, does it? This usage of a cheat to correct for a game bug is acceptable. Sucks that you have to resort to that, though. At any rate, here is your next badge:

nt5jgwx.png?1

On 4/4/2020 at 2:14 AM, sturmhauke said:

It is now my pleasure to announce a special award.You know him as the administrator of the previous edition of this challenge, but more than that he created many new missions, including two new celestial bodies and a new series of test pilot missions. He also had the longest-running edition of the challenge, at 3 years and 90 pages, and attracted many new recruits. It is my honor to present the Architect Badge to @michal.don!

Oh, thank you very much :) It's been a while since I've been awarded a badge, feels good, not going to lie :D

And i can see the thread is a few pages already, it seems that the transition went quite well!

Michal.don

2 hours ago, michal.don said:

Oh, thank you very much :) It's been a while since I've been awarded a badge, feels good, not going to lie :D

And i can see the thread is a few pages already, it seems that the transition went quite well!

Michal.don

You're welcome! And yeah it's going pretty well so far. Here's to many more shuttles!

7 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Why build one LOP-G when you can build two? And what better shuttle to do it in than a Gemini? I was surprised you could get a relatively short burn time on the one station with only a single Dawn engine, but then I guess it's not that heavy. As for the one missing landing screenshot, I'll give you that one since you've used this shuttle design plenty of times now. Please try to remember next time though.

Nice work! Here is your shiny new Commander badge:

w1diq3g.png?1

Thanks for the badge, and for your leniency as far as that missing landing pic is concerned. As to the landing picture: I'll try to remember. It's not that easy, flying and taking screenshots at the same time... I tried capturing video footage of the game and getting screenshots from that, but that ook me a lot more time getting into a presentable form than sorting through the in-game screenshots.

I have designed my LOP-G stations to be light, so I think that's the reason. I was surprised as well: during testing I started off with a single engine, thinking more would be required, but it turned out ok with a single one.

7 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

The Kraken really doesn't like you, does it? This usage of a cheat to correct for a game bug is acceptable. Sucks that you have to resort to that, though. At any rate, here is your next badge:

nt5jgwx.png?1

This time around it was a Unity bug - stack overflow. The fact that I had been playing non-stop the entire day may have had something to do with it. Thanks for your understanding, I really did not want to do that part again. It's about 70 minutes of game time, and even with x4 it is more than 15 minutes just staring at a screen where nothing changes.

Edited by QF9E

So here is my embarrassing landing in middle of nowhere... Honestly I have mixed feeling about type 4 SMM from flat bottom parts. On one hand it can do cobra stops for 40-60 m/s landings all day long. On other hand it feels so immobile after supersonic SMM type 1-3.

Made custom Skylab for this one. Launched it with a rocket and... Unity crashed, so it was alt-f12 time. My apologies for forgetting to get screenshot of habitation module on the ground.

toBxo4M.png

bGU4oCb.png

Btou1uS.png

Made some EVA strut work on the Skylab, brought drone for orbit boost and service tasks. Deorbited solar array with SMM and brought new one with habitation module similar to Maris Station Core. 

STS-4T entry Imgur 77 images

And while I am on it made STS-2T. I have simulated loss of 6 outer engines on "orbiter booster stage". Considering that whole contraption was totally unstable I now understand why nobody sane would done this IRL.

STS-2T Entry Imgur 21 images

E82xduu.png

Edited by Yakez

Alright... So this was my first asteroid mission ever...

I have totally misjudged delta V.  But after calculating several detour loops to go back to Kerbin, detaching extra fuel tank, using RCS for minor burns and enabling cross-feed from front section I had enough to make an actual precise landing at KSC with 500 atmospheric delta V. Gracefully touched the land in 20ish meters from runway and hoped precisely on it with 0 fuel left. Big grey avocado is delivered for culinary school of Kordon Jamsay.  

3500 m/s reentry was brutal. Rolled quite a bit to survive.

OWMC5Tm.png

eF2DDoH.png

STS-9 report at Imgur (39 images)

Edited by Yakez

As is my right and honor, I hereby award to @sturmhauke the STS Challenge Architect Badge and recognize him for maintaining the fine and outstanding traditions of the STS Space Shuttle Challenge. He stands upon the shoulders of giants, and the achievements of generations, as he leaps to inspire the achievements of the giants of the future.

Ryq82Zq.jpg?1

Thank you good sir for maintaining this challenge in these glorious days before KSP 2, and continuing the spirit of this amazing series. I look forward to the participation in this series by Kerbalnauts new and old. :)

Bravo sir! Well deserved!

Wow, thank you! You must have some truly massive shoulders! :D I have some ideas for new missions that I'm mulling over; if you have any ideas feel free to send them my way.

To the shuttle entrants, sorry I haven't awarded your badges yet, I've been busy. I should be able to get caught up by the end of the day. Keep on shuttling!

OK so it was a long day... :cool: Anyway, on to some badges.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:35 AM, Yakez said:

Made some EVA strut work on the Skylab, brought drone for orbit boost and service tasks. Deorbited solar array with SMM and brought new one with habitation module similar to Maris Station Core. 

STS-4T entry Imgur 77 images

Your Skylab looks cool and has some nice probe-based construction going on. And the landing, while not at an airport, uh, demonstrates rough terrain capability of the orbiter for future planetary endeavors. :D Even though you forgot to show the hab module on the ground, it wasn't very big and appeared to be secured properly. I think if you had landed badly enough to break the cargo, you'd also be missing a wing or worse. Nice work!

mag5XYH.png?1

And while I am on it made STS-2T. I have simulated loss of 6 outer engines on "orbiter booster stage". Considering that whole contraption was totally unstable I now understand why nobody sane would done this IRL.

STS-2T Entry Imgur 21 images

Yeah, the torque on that thing must have been insane. You handled it well though, and acheived a textbook landing. Congratulations!

pfbRTpD.png?1