Shuttle Challenge v6 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - ANNOUNCEMENT: v7 IS LIVE!

Just now, sturmhauke said:

I do plan on reviewing everything just to see where we're at, but yeah I'll take that into consideration. In the meantime I've got more data structures, algorithms, and high level architecture to brush up on.

Yeah, real life can sometimes be a proper pain in the rear end, I hope you are doing well despite the heavy workload you are struggling with right now. Good luck with your project and don't forget to take care of yourself and treat yourself a bit from time to time ;) 

7 hours ago, Austin_Kerman said:

@Artienia

Here is the remaining proof for STS 2a (Includes the other satellite and its orbit):

https://imgur.com/a/CpEYaTh

I hope this clears doubt about my STS 2a submission.

I personally didn't doubt you, i think you did these legit. But if i were to enforce the submission lax, then cheaters could break the rules. 

While i can see that the sat is in GEO orbit, where is the second one?

I have recompleted the STS 1b mission, making sure to get enough proof to get the badge. I launched the fuel pod into a 100-ish orbit (Difference of only 30 meters between apoapsis and periapsis). I then deorbited the Determination Space Shuttle and landed at the KSC Runway.

I streamed the entire thing to make sure there is no doubt in the submission.

Part 1: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1055584293

Part 2: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1055983553

Here is a photo album just in case:

https://imgur.com/a/E7zxTgk

With this, I am reapplying for the STS 1b Commander Stock Badge.

SqFdIsd.png

Edited by Austin_Kerman

16 hours ago, Austin_Kerman said:

@Artienia

It's also in a geostationary orbit, they are just so close together that you can barely see one another on the map screen.

The second satellite was the one I showed in my original 2a submission.

You can see it here: https://imgur.com/a/DLrDmR8

Ah i understand! I was under the impression you were aiming for commander. With that out of the way i am proud to present you your new badge
T1neMrX.png

14 hours ago, Austin_Kerman said:

I have recompleted the STS 1b mission, making sure to get enough proof to get the badge. I launched the fuel pod into a 100-ish orbit (Difference of only 30 meters between apoapsis and periapsis). I then deorbited the Determination Space Shuttle and landed at the KSC Runway.

I streamed the entire thing to make sure there is no doubt in the submission.

Part 1: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1055584293

Part 2: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1055983553

Here is a photo album just in case:

https://imgur.com/a/E7zxTgk

With this, I am reapplying for the STS 1b Commander Stock Badge.

SqFdIsd.png

Great album and flight! Exactly what we needed. 
SqFdIsd.png
Here is your badge, we shall wait for the triumphant return of the pod!

Fly safe commander

On 5/30/2021 at 6:15 PM, sturmhauke said:

And finally, @Entropian deserves special commendation for doing RSS with standard stock parts, which is way more difficult than any of these. Even RSS-RO would have been easier than that. And so, I present the Skunkworks badge! Congratulations!

Thank you!  I just returned to KSP and this is a great surprise!  Mars mission is in the works...

4 hours ago, Young_Keddish said:

Hello, my name is Young_Keddish

Do I have a query about these challenges?

I would like to know what I have to do to participate

I always saw them before creating this account and wanted to participate.

hello! on the first page you can find the full rule and mission requirements!

In the past I have built shuttles, always with the intention of entering this challenge but never being happy enough with the final design to continue...  Today that changes.

It's a shame I could not get a qualifying entry with the  miniature prototype, It is by far the cooler design, but I guess I will have to go with the production model

Invalid prototype

Spoiler

on the launchpad

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Liftoff

Post SRB separation (too fast for screenie)?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

EFT away

Orbit achieved

It actually glides better than some other shuttles I have successfully flown, but it is the landing gear that is the problem, so I had to ditch it and parachute down the final 100m or so

For my actual  STS-1a submission stock plus DLCs , the production version of the Inline Space Transport System does not require SRBs when not carrying a payload

Mission Highlights

Spoiler

on the launchpad

Liftoff

EFT jettisoned

Switch to OMS engine for orbital insertion 

Orbit achieved

De-orbit burn ( I thought I was aiming for KSC)

Turns out I wasn't, roll to adjust approach for Dessert

Landing strip sighted

Final approach (wouldn't get away with this in most shuttles I have built, this one can really glide though)

Made it

16 hours ago, Rhomphaia said:

In the past I have built shuttles, always with the intention of entering this challenge but never being happy enough with the final design to continue...  Today that changes.

It's a shame I could not get a qualifying entry with the  miniature prototype, It is by far the cooler design, but I guess I will have to go with the production model

Invalid prototype

Reveal hidden contents

on the launchpad

Liftoff

Post SRB separation (too fast for screenie)?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

EFT away

Orbit achieved

It actually glides better than some other shuttles I have successfully flown, but it is the landing gear that is the problem, so I had to ditch it and parachute down the final 100m or so

For my actual  STS-1a submission stock plus DLCs , the production version of the Inline Space Transport System does not require SRBs when not carrying a payload

Mission Highlights

Hide contents

on the launchpad

Liftoff

EFT jettisoned

Switch to OMS engine for orbital insertion 

Orbit achieved

De-orbit burn ( I thought I was aiming for KSC)

Turns out I wasn't, roll to adjust approach for Dessert

Landing strip sighted

Final approach (wouldn't get away with this in most shuttles I have built, this one can really glide though)

Made it

That is... one of the most  unique takes i've seen on the challange for sure. I was going to shoot it down with a "It's a shuttle challange not a rocket one" but oh boy this certainly impressed me
AX2Tsan.png
Here you go commander, your KERBIN STS-1A badge

I am *very* looking forward to the next missions, fly safe!

1 hour ago, Artienia said:

That is... one of the most  unique takes i've seen on the challange for sure. I was going to shoot it down with a "It's a shuttle challange not a rocket one" but oh boy this certainly impressed me

I'd argue that the idea behind the real Shuttle was to  minimize the amount of expended engines by firing the orbiter engines all the way from liftoff to orbital insertion. Symmetrical designs have been accepted in the past and have usually been done in the form of sandwiching an orbiter between two stacks of external tanks and booster.

This design achieves the original shuttle design goals (boosters + external tank + orbiter) simply in an indeed unusual configuration but IMHO this is within the spirit of the challenge and not "just a rocket".

5 minutes ago, Fulgora said:

I'd argue that the idea behind the real Shuttle was to  minimize the amount of expended engines by firing the orbiter engines all the way from liftoff to orbital insertion. Symmetrical designs have been accepted in the past and have usually been done in the form of sandwiching an orbiter between two stacks of external tanks and booster.

This design achieves the original shuttle design goals (boosters + external tank + orbiter) simply in an indeed unusual configuration but IMHO this is within the spirit of the challenge and not "just a rocket".

As soon as i saw the "rocket" split apart i knew i was going to be in for a ride

1 hour ago, Artienia said:

AX2Tsan.png
Here you go commander, your KERBIN STS-1A badge

I am *very* looking forward to the next missions, fly safe!

Thanks, hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

6 minutes ago, Artienia said:

As soon as i saw the "rocket" split apart i knew i was going to be in for a ride

Wait until you see it balancing a 40t fuel pod on it's nose, that one may take a bit longer though, 2-a should be next, hopefully tonight or tomorrow

I finished Duna Mars STS-1.  I ended up using a massive lifter with a 64-ring of Clydesdales on the first stage and a series of Rhinos and Wolfhounds on the upper stages for the shuttle, and an asparagus'ed version for the support mission (fueling).

Liftoff of the shuttle:

1.png?dl=1

Ascent:

2.png?dl=1

SRB jettison:

3.png?dl=1

2nd stage jettison:

4.png?dl=1

3rd stage jettison:

5.png?dl=1

4th stage jettison:

6.png?dl=1

Orbit achieved!

7.png?dl=1

Liftoff of the support mission:

8.png?dl=1

SRB jettison:

9.png?dl=1

Asparagusing:

10.png?dl=1

11.png?dl=1

12.png?dl=1

13.png?dl=1

14.png?dl=1

Core jettison:

15.png?dl=1

So many stages...

16.png?dl=1

Orbit:

17.png?dl=1

Rendezvousing and docking:

18.png?dl=1

19.png?dl=1

20.png?dl=1

21.png?dl=1

Docked!

22.png?dl=1

The shuttle was launched empty, and the support mission was simply a fuel tanker.  After the fuel had been transferred, the tanker was undocked:

24.png?dl=1

Trajectory to Mars:

25.png?dl=1

Burning:

26.png?dl=1

Staging the side tanks:

27.png?dl=1

Staging of the NERV booster and shuttle engine startup:

28.png?dl=1

Bye Earth!

29.png?dl=1

Correction burn:

31.png?dl=1

Encountering Mars:

32.png?dl=1

Aerobraking went very well - the shuttle was very stable and more than enough velocity was lost to capture:

34.png?dl=1

35.png?dl=1

Minor periapsis adjustment at apoapsis:

36.png?dl=1

2nd aerobraking pass (it was slow enough to not show any aero effects):

37.png?dl=1

Resultant orbit:

38.png?dl=1

Periapsis lifting:

39.png?dl=1

Circularization:

40.png?dl=1

In RSS, the Martian atmosphere extends to 125,000 meters ASL, so the 70,000 meter mark for Commander can't be used.  I assumed that the point of that restriction is to have the station in low orbit, so I put it in a 126 km - 126 km orbit just above the atmosphere:

41.png?dl=1

Deploying the station:

43.png?dl=1

Return trajectory:

44.png?dl=1

Burning:

45.png?dl=1

Final trajectory:

46.png?dl=1

Bye Mars!

47.png?dl=1

Hi Earth!

48.png?dl=1

Aerobraking:

49.png?dl=1

Resultant orbit:

50.png?dl=1

Periapsis adjustment:

51.png?dl=1

Another aerobraking pass:

52.png?dl=1

Inclination adjustment to make it easier to land at Kourou:

53.png?dl=1

Atmospheric entry was really sketchy - I misbalanced the no-fuel CoM, causing a borderline lethal interesting landing sequence:

54.png?dl=1

Luckily, nothing overheated, and I was able to regain control and use my remaining fuel to barely make it back to the runway:

55.png?dl=1

Landed!

56.png?dl=1

@EntropianI know this gets old but i keep getting stunned by all of the submissions as they just one up themselves. I'm going to honest, i did not understand why you needed that large of a rocket until i saw your RSS badges and everything clicked. This mission is truly a marvel of engineering and i'm confident i couldn't pull this off. It took a little while but i managed to get the Mars STS-1 badge

DucMS3f.png

Just absolutely increadable mission, i cannot wait how you would handle Joolpiter. Also i assume there is no legal way for you to get your RRS Minmus badge? That's kinda unfortunate... unless i'm missing something

Once again, thank you and fly safe!

4 hours ago, Artienia said:

Just absolutely increadable mission, i cannot wait how you would handle Joolpiter. Also i assume there is no legal way for you to get your RRS Minmus badge? That's kinda unfortunate... unless i'm missing something

Thanks!  As far as I can see, Minmus doesn't really have a RSS equivalent; no RSS body has the kind of flats that Minmus has.  Some RSS bodies, such as Europa and Enceladus, have the icy surface, but none of them really have the Minmus theme of mint and sparkle.

37 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Thanks!  As far as I can see, Minmus doesn't really have a RSS equivalent; no RSS body has the kind of flats that Minmus has.  Some RSS bodies, such as Europa and Enceladus, have the icy surface, but none of them really have the Minmus theme of mint and sparkle.

Well i dont know whether @sturmhaukeapproves but i'd have no objections if the minmus missions could be completed on Europe or Enceladus. I'd personally award the badges as it is hard enough to play RSS without modded engines, let alone travel to the other side of the solar system when the original badge is just minmus 

7 hours ago, Artienia said:

Well i dont know whether @sturmhaukeapproves but i'd have no objections if the minmus missions could be completed on Europe or Enceladus. I'd personally award the badges as it is hard enough to play RSS without modded engines, let alone travel to the other side of the solar system when the original badge is just minmus 

I'd probably make a custom badge, honestly. Minmus is approximately the same difficulty as Mun, and Jool... isn't. (Or Sarnus, if you're using OPM). Maybe tooling around on Europa is similar to Minmus, but getting there is a completely different story. I think for overall missions parameters, the Jool series is a better fit.

I'm wrapping up my interviews and should be receiving an offer soon. On the one hand, I'll be busy with my new job (unless something terrible happens), but on the other hand I won't be doing endless practice drills and should have some time for badges and new missions and stuff.

12 hours ago, Artienia said:

DucMS3f.png

Badge looks good! Sorry, I forgot to mention this earlier but I compiled some finished badges a while back. I'll send you the links.

Well, between mission issues, problems with stem and the real world getting in the way, it took a little longer than I had hoped but STS-2a is complete.

Mission report

Spoiler

Initially, the mission called for BACC boosters and an inertial upper stage to deliver the payload, however it was decided that the use of KD25k boosters would allow the orbiter to reach the phasing orbit without the need for an IUS

Booster separation

ET away

Heading to GTO, Orbiter now has solar panels to provide power for longer missions

Plotting phasing orbit, ap at stationary orbit altitude, period 2/3  of stationary

First sat deployed

Circularizing?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Second sat in orbit

all 3 deployed?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

With a successful deployment the crew prepared for re-entry.  Simulations had shown that direct re-entry from stationary altitude was not recommended, but an entry from Periapsis altitude should be feasible,  these simulations did not account for the instabilities caused  by the additional fuel consumption such a maneuver would require, simulations run after launch showed that re-entry with less than 200m/s of OMS propellant would result in the orbiter going A/T at around 33 km.  A last minute decision was made to perform two aerobraking passes from stationary altitude

Shortly before the first pass the payload mount is jettisoned

First pass, the forward RCS thruster blocks are noted to be particularly vulnerable, and should be replaced with more robust linear ports for future missions.?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Second pass

Following this pass an opportunity For a KSC landing was spotted and a maneuver was performed to take advantage of it, unfortunately we can now revise our previous estimate for instability upward, to 225m/s remaining propellant

Control regained

KSC sighted, Due to the earlier tumble the orbiter is somewhat short on speed

The OMS makes an heroic effort to gain some speed and altitude

It is just barely enough?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by Rhomphaia

3 minutes ago, Young_Keddish said:

I have a question

can my shuttle land with the engines?

I am not very expert in using it as an airplane, but I can land it at the airport, but with engines

Powered landings are fine, as long as the orbiter lands horizontally like a plane. But consider the extra mass you have to carry around in fuel, and jet engines if you're using those. It's easier to fly at the end, but it also means you need a larger, more powerful launch vehicle.

7 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Powered landings are fine, as long as the orbiter lands horizontally like a plane. But consider the extra mass you have to carry around in fuel, and jet engines if you're using those. It's easier to fly at the end, but it also means you need a larger, more powerful launch vehicle.

First I will upload photos to see if it tells me if it is ok or not