Shuttle Challenge v6 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - ANNOUNCEMENT: v7 IS LIVE!

Just wondering if the trajectories mod is allowed, I used it in my attempt for the challenge because it's a "utility/info" mod but considering landing on the runway is part of the commander rank stuff I'm thinking that it's probably too much of a help to be valid for the challenge

• 2 weeks later...

@Artienia Hey man, are you still away? I've taken a little break from Shuttle building to do other challenges, but there's still some progress I've made: everything for Minmus Mission is ready to go and I've also completed the Asteroid Recovery mission. You can find it in my STS thread, along with Jool STS-1 and Eve STS-1 submissions. Hope it's not too overwhelming to review 3 submissions in a row :lol:

Edited by OJT

It feels like I am the only one here keeping the thread alive :lol:

My Mk.2 crusade is still going strong. I did the Minmus STS-1 mission and both Fuel Pod missions (STS-1b and STS-2b). At this point I have 6 unreviewed Commander Rank submissions. @sturmhauke Seeing that Artienia is still away, I'd be honoured if you reviewed my mission reports. Links to all of them below

Eve STS-1 Mission, Commander Rank

Jool STS-1, Commander Rank

Kerbin Bonus STS-9 Asteroid Mission, Commander Rank

Minmus STS-1, Commander Rank

Kerbin STS-1b Fuel Pod mission, Commander Rank

Kerbin STS-2b Fuel Pod Recovery, Commander Rank

1 hour ago, OJT said:

I'm still "working" on my shuttle (I changed from a Shuttle 2 to a Shuttle Block 2), but I don't really have the motivation to finish it with exams coming up on Monday. Maybe in the summer though.

I had planned to fly these myself before proposing them, but with my shuttle in development limbo and OJT racing ahead I thought I should share them sooner rather than later. These are merely proposals and will probably want some tuning and balancing.

In the shadow of the fixed worlds of the solar system are a myriad ever-changing asteroids and comets. While one highly-challenging mission already involves them, there is surely room for spending more time with these varied objects. Though the series is called Asteroid STS, comets are OK too.

Asteroid STS-1: Can you visit me?

Your first mission is as simple as it gets here. Identify an asteroid or comet, visit it, and return to Kerbin. Nonetheless the mission creates orbital rendezvous scenarios not often seen otherwise. If you have already completed Kerbin STS-9 you may choose to use that as your submission for Asteroid STS-1, but do see this mission's Commander requirement.

Asteroid STS Pilot - Rank 1. Intercept an asteroid or comet with your shuttle and take a sample. Return home with the sample, capturing however you like and landing where you want.

Asteroid STS Commander - Rank 1. Intercept an asteroid or comet outside of Kerbin's Sphere of Influence with your shuttle and take a sample. Return home with the sample, perform an aerocapture and land at either at the KSC runway, the Island Airfield off the KSC coast, the Dessert Airfield from MH, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport.

Asteroid STS-2: Can you ARM me?

Only a small sample was obtained in your previous mission, and landing asteroids on Kerbin contaminates them. For more detailed study it is desirable to get an asteroid somewhere in outer space but not too far away. Munar orbit would be perfect.

This mission requires you to have a space station orbiting the Mun. You may use your space station from Mun STS-5-7 if you have it, alternatively you may place a space station in the required orbit by any means.

Asteroid STS Pilot - Rank 2. Launch your shuttle. Using either your orbiter or a craft carried by it, intercept an asteroid or comet and connect it to a space station in any Munar orbit. Rendezvous your shuttle with that same space station if it is not there already and take two samples*. Return home with the samples, capturing however you like and landing where you want. You may not mine ore from the asteroid/comet.

Asteroid STS Commander - Rank 2. Launch your shuttle. Using either your orbiter or a craft carried by it, intercept an asteroid or comet of Class B or larger, and connect it to a space station in a polar munar orbit (inclination of at least 85°) with periapsis and apoapsis between 600 and 700 km. (Matching the requirements for Mun STS Commander Rank 3). Rendezvous your shuttle with that same space station if it is not there already and take two samples*. Return home with the samples, perform an aerocapture and land at either at the KSC runway, the Island Airfield off the KSC coast, the Dessert Airfield from MH, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport. You may not mine ore from the asteroid/comet.

* If you have a game mod that provides other asteroid-related science experiments, you may instead use one of those plus a single sample.

Asteroid STS-3: Can you Armageddon me?

It is a good thing you carried out those studies because Kerbin is now in peril. An asteroid on a collision cause threatens to obliterate Some Area of the planet. Only a crack team of unlikely characters can save the world, or at least the space program's reputation, from certain doom. And you only have 18 days to do it.

This mission requires you to have a space station orbiting Kerbin with fuel (any type) available. You may use your space station from Kerbin STS-5-8 if you have it, alternatively you may place a space station in the required orbit by any means.

Destruction is much more awesome than deflection, but I'm not certain it's possible for the larger objects. If it can be confirmed possible then the deflection option should be removed.

Asteroid STS Pilot - Rank 3. Identify an asteroid or comet on a collision course with Kerbin. Less than 18 (6-hour) days before impact, launch your shuttle. Rendezvous and dock with a space station in any Kerbin orbit and transfer some fuel to the shuttle. Intercept the asteroid/comet and extract some ore from it, then deflect or destroy it. Dispose of the ore as you see fit and return home, capturing however you like and landing where you want.

Asteroid STS Commander - Rank 3. Identify an asteroid or comet of Class E or larger on a collision course with Kerbin. Less than 18 (6-hour) days before impact, launch two shuttles. Rendezvous and dock each with a space station in a Kerbin orbit above 300 km with an inclination of at least 50 degrees and transfer some fuel to each shuttle. With each shuttle, perform a Munar flyby then intercept the asteroid/comet, extract at least 1500 units of ore from it, then deflect or destroy it. Dispose of the ore as you see fit and return at least one shuttle home, performing an aerocapture and landing at either at the KSC runway, the Island Airfield off the KSC coast, the Dessert Airfield from MH, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport.

When I was running this challenge a couple of years ago, I also thought about making an Armageddon themed mission (the commander level required having a Bruce Kerman piloting the shuttle and I Don't Want To Miss A Thing blasting from your speakers on a loop), but never thought about having an entire series of missions dedicated to asteroid hunting. I really like that, extensive asteroid research makes sense and the shuttle is a spacecraft pretty well-suited for these kinds of missions. And using the infrastructure you've put in space in several different missions is a nice touch!

I'm curious if this idea gets implemented somehow, I'll be watching closely :)

Michal.don

On 5/22/2022 at 10:45 PM, OJT said:

Adding more mission reports to the pile. Did first two Test Pilot Missions

Test Pilot STS-1T

Test Pilot STS-2T

On 5/20/2022 at 3:11 AM, OJT said:

My Mk.2 crusade is still going strong. I did the Minmus STS-1 mission and both Fuel Pod missions (STS-1b and STS-2b). At this point I have 6 unreviewed Commander Rank submissions. @sturmhauke Seeing that Artienia is still away, I'd be honoured if you reviewed my mission reports. Links to all of them below

Eve STS-1 Mission, Commander Rank

Jool STS-1, Commander Rank

Kerbin Bonus STS-9 Asteroid Mission, Commander Rank

Minmus STS-1, Commander Rank

Kerbin STS-1b Fuel Pod mission, Commander Rank

Kerbin STS-2b Fuel Pod Recovery, Commander Rank

I did another mission. STS-3T Cassini-Huygens report below

Link to the mission report

And guys @sturmhauke @Artienia, I understand that life might get in the way. And I don't want to get annoying or be perceived as annoying. But at this point I have 9 unreviewed submissions and you both said that you would go through the backlog last week, but alas I am still awaiting my badges. I really hope that all my submissions get reviewed soon

6 hours ago, OJT said:

I did another mission. STS-3T Cassini-Huygens report below

Link to the mission report

And guys @sturmhauke @Artienia, I understand that life might get in the way. And I don't want to get annoying or be perceived as annoying. But at this point I have 9 unreviewed submissions and you both said that you would go through the backlog last week, but alas I am still awaiting my badges. I really hope that all my submissions get reviewed soon

I've had exam week this week after coming home from vacation (no rest ey?). I understand your frustration. Feel free to continue doing missions as if the badges were awarded. i'll take a look on Saturday, that's a promise!

@OJTCongratulations on obtaining the most badges in a single message i suppose. Its a quirk of life but i'll bet this will hit you hard with dopamine ;)

uQLcuXu.pngadKm14s.pngSqFdIsd.pngiS5yWtc.pngq8ndB1J.pngynmXxp2.pngyJEu31L.pngcWa4DNM.pngRxy9EIF.pngoQVsUD5.png

I loved the design of the shuttle for the Skylab mission. I had somewhat of a similar design in my original 2B aswell. It was an MK2 shuttle which had a front and back section. In the middle it had a payload. It would take that payload up, disassemble itself, take the payload out, and the dock. So it's a plane again just a lot shorter. Then it would just land. No cargo bays needed! Of course now with all the docking mods and t he fact that you can rotate them its a lot easier to do it. Maybe....

On 5/9/2022 at 2:08 AM, BlaZe119 said:

Just wondering if the trajectories mod is allowed, I used it in my attempt for the challenge because it's a "utility/info" mod but considering landing on the runway is part of the commander rank stuff I'm thinking that it's probably too much of a help to be valid for the challenge

Sorry for the late reply. Trajectory mod is indeed allowed. Basically any mod that doesn't directly help you in the game (Like hyperedit) but passively (Trajectories, Thrust balancer, Mechjeb in space) can be used. If you do have a question though feel free to ask again!

@Artienia It was a long journey, but it is finally finished! STS-5T and STS-6T mission reports below

STS-5T Shuttle-Apollo

STS-6T Booster Recovery

There were a lot of submissions throughout the history of STS threads, but I might very well be the first one to complete all missions on Commander rank with Mk.2 based Shuttles. I wonder if I can get a special badge with Mk.2 Orbiter on it instead of Mk.3 one like I asked earlier in this thread? :ph34r:

On 6/5/2022 at 8:45 PM, OJT said:

@Artienia It was a long journey, but it is finally finished! STS-5T and STS-6T mission reports below

STS-5T Shuttle-Apollo

STS-6T Booster Recovery

There were a lot of submissions throughout the history of STS threads, but I might very well be the first one to complete all missions on Commander rank with Mk.2 based Shuttles. I wonder if I can get a special badge with Mk.2 Orbiter on it instead of Mk.3 one like I asked earlier in this thread? :ph34r:

mgL044n.png5rPWXBH.png

Congrats on completing every STS challange to date!

On 5/28/2022 at 2:37 AM, cantab said:

Asteroid STS-1: Can you visit me?

Asteroid STS-2: Can you ARM me?

Asteroid STS-3: Can you Armageddon me?

If you're itching for more, i can reccomend completing these 3 missions. You'll get an officially unofficial hand drawn badge. Personally i think these 3 missions are the closest to actually become canon, as even the prev host don is in favor of it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello shuttle nerds, sorry I've been away again. You know how I said I was on a business trip? Well less than a week later there was a big shakeup and now I'm looking for work again, whee. I've got some stuff lined up, so I'll be alright, but that means I'm focusing on interviews and such for the moment. Thanks yet again to @Artienia for picking up the slack, and thanks everyone for your patience.

On 6/18/2022 at 12:36 PM, KingDominoIII said:

Finally got back into doing this. Refreshed my shuttle design skills by going to Minmus. Now on to Jool. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/MTZ8MUx

Looks good man! I love the sleek design of your shuttle 

Rxy9EIF.png

On 6/20/2022 at 3:02 PM, KingDominoIII said:

Realized I need to do a complete redesign of my Jool shuttle so that's fun. Here's a test mission instead. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/C3Z5DzQ

My shuttles dont like to glide either, I'm not a great designer i must admit ...

q8ndB1J.png

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Artienia said:

I am... not sure how to rate this report

Well, the rules do state that modded planet pack submissions are allowed and will even get special badges for completing missions, but I assume it is @sturmhauke's area of expertise, so to say :lol: