Shuttle Challenge v6 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - ANNOUNCEMENT: v7 IS LIVE!

8 hours ago, OJT said:

Well, the rules do state that modded planet pack submissions are allowed and will even get special badges for completing missions, but I assume it is @sturmhauke's area of expertise, so to say :lol:

its not about it being allowed or not, i don't have a badge to award you in the first place

22 hours ago, Artienia said:

its not about it being allowed or not, i don't have a badge to award you in the first place

Maybe make a general easy, medium, hard, and expert badge for other planet packs or heavily modded submissions? (mega colony with life support, assembling an interstellar mothership with a fusion engine, doing it in FAR or some planet pack)

Edited by SkyFall2489

2 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Maybe make a general easy, medium, hard, and expert badge for other planet packs or heavily modded submissions? (mega colony with life support, assembling an interstellar mothership with a fusion engine, doing it in FAR or some planet pack)

There's already a system for it: sturmhauke simply makes a special badge with a ribbon beneath it, on which the planet pack is written. One of the users got these types of badges for their RSS submissions (I think it was Entropian?)

On 4/2/2020 at 10:43 AM, sturmhauke said:

fwo5abk.png

On 4/2/2020 at 10:43 AM, sturmhauke said:

Missions completed with a planet mod have a royal purple border and ribbon, with the relevant mod shown.

Just now, OJT said:

One of the users got these types of badges for their RSS submissions (I think it was Entropian?)

Yes, that was me, though IIRC I was the 1st person to get verified submissions with a planet pack/mod.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:10 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

On 8/3/2022 at 11:26 PM, OJT said:

There's already a system for it: sturmhauke simply makes a special badge with a ribbon beneath it, on which the planet pack is written. One of the users got these types of badges for their RSS submissions (I think it was Entropian?)

Yeah i'm afraid i don't quite have the ability to do those. I'm just a mod ;)

Hi @sturmhauke & @Artienia,

I had a question about completing this challenge with RSS/RO. I know that, for example with @Entropian, you have allowed participants to use other planet packs, but as far as I am aware Realism Overhaul has never been covered. Since it affects aerodynamics, heating, part statistics, and a wide variety of relevant parameters for this challenge, do you have any strong opinions on using it for this? Thank you for your time.

Best, Kekkie

On 8/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, Kekkie said:

I had a question about completing this challenge with RSS/RO. I know that, for example with @Entropian, you have allowed participants to use other planet packs, but as far as I am aware Realism Overhaul has never been covered. Since it affects aerodynamics, heating, part statistics, and a wide variety of relevant parameters for this challenge, do you have any strong opinions on using it for this? Thank you for your time.

Best, Kekkie

mod packs are not the issue, they can be used of course. if its just a planet pack (RSS, OPM, etc) then you would get a stock other-planet badge. if you used non-stock parts then it would be a modded other-planet badge.

it's just that i do not have the resources to give such badges out, i only have vanilla stock ones

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Sorry again for the extended absence, real life has been a pain in the [CENSORED] lately. But on the bright side, I got a dog. He's a good boy. Anyway, I will be reviewing the various special requests such as planet pack questions and missions ideas. I think the regular missions have all been reviewed now, but if you submitted a report and it got overlooked please let me or @Artienia know.

On 4/27/2022 at 2:13 AM, OJT said:

Another question from me to both you and @sturmhauke: seeing as I am well underway to completing all Main Series missions using Mk.2 fuselage parts only and, as far as I am aware I will be the first one to do it, can I get a special badge representing this when I finish everything? Since the Shuttle shown on regular badges is a Mk.3 one, it would be cool to have a badge with Mk.2 Shuttle on it :)

I suppose I could do a commemorative badge. Is there a specific mission of yours I should base it on?

On 4/28/2022 at 3:02 AM, NuclearFish said:

Hola everyone. I want to try joining that challenge (especially because I'm not-so-good at building shuttles :)), but I have a question. Is it allowed to submit missions where you were using life support mods? 

Life support mods are not a factor when judging mission reports, as long as they don't alter stock gameplay mechanics. Please see rule 1 on the first post.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:02 AM, Akagi said:

@sturmhauke Could I write more Jool STS missions?

Mission ideas are welcome. I reserve the right to use them as is, or alter them, or do something else instead. I'll give credit where it's due though.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:37 PM, cantab said:

I had planned to fly these myself before proposing them, but with my shuttle in development limbo and OJT racing ahead I thought I should share them sooner rather than later. These are merely proposals and will probably want some tuning and balancing.

In the shadow of the fixed worlds of the solar system are a myriad ever-changing asteroids and comets. While one highly-challenging mission already involves them, there is surely room for spending more time with these varied objects. Though the series is called Asteroid STS, comets are OK too.

Asteroid STS-1: Can you visit me?

Your first mission is as simple as it gets here. Identify an asteroid or comet, visit it, and return to Kerbin. Nonetheless the mission creates orbital rendezvous scenarios not often seen otherwise. If you have already completed Kerbin STS-9 you may choose to use that as your submission for Asteroid STS-1, but do see this mission's Commander requirement.

Asteroid STS Pilot - Rank 1. Intercept an asteroid or comet with your shuttle and take a sample. Return home with the sample, capturing however you like and landing where you want.

Asteroid STS Commander - Rank 1. Intercept an asteroid or comet outside of Kerbin's Sphere of Influence with your shuttle and take a sample. Return home with the sample, perform an aerocapture and land at either at the KSC runway, the Island Airfield off the KSC coast, the Dessert Airfield from MH, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport.

Asteroid STS-2: Can you ARM me?

Only a small sample was obtained in your previous mission, and landing asteroids on Kerbin contaminates them. For more detailed study it is desirable to get an asteroid somewhere in outer space but not too far away. Munar orbit would be perfect.

This mission requires you to have a space station orbiting the Mun. You may use your space station from Mun STS-5-7 if you have it, alternatively you may place a space station in the required orbit by any means.

Asteroid STS Pilot - Rank 2. Launch your shuttle. Using either your orbiter or a craft carried by it, intercept an asteroid or comet and connect it to a space station in any Munar orbit. Rendezvous your shuttle with that same space station if it is not there already and take two samples*. Return home with the samples, capturing however you like and landing where you want. You may not mine ore from the asteroid/comet.

Asteroid STS Commander - Rank 2. Launch your shuttle. Using either your orbiter or a craft carried by it, intercept an asteroid or comet of Class B or larger, and connect it to a space station in a polar munar orbit (inclination of at least 85°) with periapsis and apoapsis between 600 and 700 km. (Matching the requirements for Mun STS Commander Rank 3). Rendezvous your shuttle with that same space station if it is not there already and take two samples*. Return home with the samples, perform an aerocapture and land at either at the KSC runway, the Island Airfield off the KSC coast, the Dessert Airfield from MH, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport. You may not mine ore from the asteroid/comet.

* If you have a game mod that provides other asteroid-related science experiments, you may instead use one of those plus a single sample.

Asteroid STS-3: Can you Armageddon me?

It is a good thing you carried out those studies because Kerbin is now in peril. An asteroid on a collision cause threatens to obliterate Some Area of the planet. Only a crack team of unlikely characters can save the world, or at least the space program's reputation, from certain doom. And you only have 18 days to do it.

This mission requires you to have a space station orbiting Kerbin with fuel (any type) available. You may use your space station from Kerbin STS-5-8 if you have it, alternatively you may place a space station in the required orbit by any means.

Destruction is much more awesome than deflection, but I'm not certain it's possible for the larger objects. If it can be confirmed possible then the deflection option should be removed.

Asteroid STS Pilot - Rank 3. Identify an asteroid or comet on a collision course with Kerbin. Less than 18 (6-hour) days before impact, launch your shuttle. Rendezvous and dock with a space station in any Kerbin orbit and transfer some fuel to the shuttle. Intercept the asteroid/comet and extract some ore from it, then deflect or destroy it. Dispose of the ore as you see fit and return home, capturing however you like and landing where you want.

Asteroid STS Commander - Rank 3. Identify an asteroid or comet of Class E or larger on a collision course with Kerbin. Less than 18 (6-hour) days before impact, launch two shuttles. Rendezvous and dock each with a space station in a Kerbin orbit above 300 km with an inclination of at least 50 degrees and transfer some fuel to each shuttle. With each shuttle, perform a Munar flyby then intercept the asteroid/comet, extract at least 1500 units of ore from it, then deflect or destroy it. Dispose of the ore as you see fit and return at least one shuttle home, performing an aerocapture and landing at either at the KSC runway, the Island Airfield off the KSC coast, the Dessert Airfield from MH, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport.

I like these, I'll write them up and make them official soon. Probably won't need too many changes.

On 7/28/2022 at 8:23 PM, OJT said:

Hello lads, another STS Mission Report here. But this time, it is in Linx' Beyond Home planet pack:

STS-1 Rhode-Lua Mission Report

Both the Orbiter and the Launcher are made out of stock parts (albeit with Restock visuals, but these still count as stock :ph34r:)

Hmm... I'd say this is most similar to MUN STS-1. I'll work up an appropriate badge. Also, your orbiter looks a bit like an unreleased design I've been experimenting with. Great minds or something, lol.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:02 PM, Kekkie said:

Best, Kekkie

RSS/RO is essentially Insane difficulty. If you believe you are up to the challenge, I will be happy to make you the badges.

15 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I suppose I could do a commemorative badge. Is there a specific mission of yours I should base it on?

Well if you accept specific requests, I imagined my Orbiter from Duna Series flying over Kerbin with Duna and Jool behind Kerbin (sort of like Mun badges where Kerbin is placed behind the Mun)

14 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Hmm... I'd say this is most similar to MUN STS-1. I'll work up an appropriate badge. Also, your orbiter looks a bit like an unreleased design I've been experimenting with. Great minds or something, lol.

Looking forward to seeing it! Well, both the orbiter and the badge :lol:

@OJT, here is your Beyond Home LUA STS-1 badge. Congrats on a cool mission, and validating another planet pack! If you want to do more Beyond Home missions, please let me know a rough mission plan first so we can work out if it's similar to an existing mission or needs tweaking first. As for the other badge, I haven't had a chance to work on it yet. I'll let you know when it's ready.

1hNtqoP.png

The KSC Tracking Station is picking up some objects of interest.

TyD5tfK.png

There have been persistent rumors of an additional planet between Duna and Jool. Some of our scientists argue that it's merely an overly ambitious asteroid. We're considering a mission to investigate the matter.

ScxI2IN.png

On 9/6/2022 at 12:01 AM, sturmhauke said:

Coming soon to a launchpad near you...

mjzEq8I.pngYQQCsv6.png

I was reading through the requirements for new Minmus missions and I had a question

Missions require you to build a refinery, orbital facility and a tanker that can haul 2 or 4 fuel pods (depending on the rank) and it also gives the specs for the fuel pod. However, it says can, not must. Does it mean that I can, for example, build a tanker that can haul 4 fuel pods, but do the missions themselves with only one fuel pod? Or do I need to launch all 4 fuel pods in missions MINMUS STS-5-6?

You need to show that the tanker can transport its full capacity (either 2 or 4 fuel pods) during a round trip. It occurs to me that not everyone builds gigantic shuttles like I tend to. I'll update the mission to allow an optional support launch for empty pods and such. You will still need the shuttle on hand to carry crew to the tanker and supervise any on-orbit assembly needed before its trial run.

14 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

You need to show that the tanker can transport its full capacity (either 2 or 4 fuel pods) during a round trip.

So from what I understood I do need to haul 4 fuel pods during demonstration flights

Hauling  at least 120 tons of mass from Minmus to LKO... that's gonna be one hell of a tanker :confused:

3 minutes ago, OJT said:

So from what I understood I do need to haul 4 fuel pods during demonstration flights

Hauling  at least 120 tons of mass from Minmus to LKO... that's gonna be one hell of a tanker :confused:

Yes, that's correct (for Commander anyway). I've built orbiters that can land 120 tons at the KSC. Then again, I'm kind of known for putting stupid large things into space and (sometimes) back again. Here's a hint: nuclear rockets are your friend here.

33 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Yes, that's correct (for Commander anyway). I've built orbiters that can land 120 tons at the KSC. Then again, I'm kind of known for putting stupid large things into space and (sometimes) back again. Here's a hint: nuclear rockets are your friend here.

Yea, I'll figure something out. It's more about doing these challenges while still conforming to self-imposed Mk.2 rules, but that one is on me :lol:

On 8/31/2022 at 12:55 PM, OJT said:

Looking forward to seeing it! Well, both the orbiter and the badge :lol:

Still don't have the badge, but here's the shuttle I was talking about. In my case, it's more of a baby shuttle/return vehicle that gets carried inside a larger Mk IV-body shuttle.

0goZPxV.png

There used to be a requirement for the orbiter to be attached to the side of the rocket to count as a valid entry. IIRC sandwich setups (boosters on both sides of the orbiter making it a somewhat symmetrical design) being a tolerated grey-zone.

But I cannot find any statement in the rules (anymore) about orbiters attached to the top of the rocket as normal payload being forbidden :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...