Shuttle Challenge v6 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - ANNOUNCEMENT: v7 IS LIVE!

On 4/10/2022 at 6:32 PM, Andetch said:

But for now...how is this attempt? Loss of wings. As stated, they need to be re-fitted anyway, so Jeb just saved the engineering team the job of removing them. 

Also, the fuel pod broke at the ore container, but all parts are there, intact and with the tug. If this is acceptable I will upload the other mission proofs. 

TUnbjDK.png

10 hours ago, Andetch said:

@Artienia seeing as you have not commented either way on the loss of wings on landing, I am assuming it's okay. 

Please tell me you're joking.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:22 AM, Andetch said:

@Artienia seeing as you have not commented either way on the loss of wings on landing, I am assuming it's okay. 

I have modified the shuttle so that the wings are strutted to the fuselage, and are also now identical (somehow they are not quite the same). I've also doubled up the wing area in a narrow bi-plane configuration so for future missions she will have more lift for landing. 

I have also made my own mission report thread so I don't fill up this thread with my attempts.

Yeah i..... i can't allow that man. The craft has to stay largely in piece. A solar panel or two can rip off but... but not the entire wing...

On 4/24/2022 at 7:23 AM, OJT said:

@Artienia Did the Duna STS-3. The mission vehicles and plan was tested and ready to go for a while now, but I only now had the time to actually fly the mission

Duna STS-3 for Commander rank

It's very nice tosee how far the shuttle has evolved. Few commanders make it this far, wear this as a badge of honor!
jpOK7Ud.png

@Artienia I did the Eve mission in the meanwhile. It turned out to be easier than I expected it to be

Eve STS-1 for Commander rank

Another question from me to both you and @sturmhauke: seeing as I am well underway to completing all Main Series missions using Mk.2 fuselage parts only and, as far as I am aware I will be the first one to do it, can I get a special badge representing this when I finish everything? Since the Shuttle shown on regular badges is a Mk.3 one, it would be cool to have a badge with Mk.2 Shuttle on it :)

13 hours ago, OJT said:

@Artienia I did the Eve mission in the meanwhile. It turned out to be easier than I expected it to be

Eve STS-1 for Commander rank

Another question from me to both you and @sturmhauke: seeing as I am well underway to completing all Main Series missions using Mk.2 fuselage parts only and, as far as I am aware I will be the first one to do it, can I get a special badge representing this when I finish everything? Since the Shuttle shown on regular badges is a Mk.3 one, it would be cool to have a badge with Mk.2 Shuttle on it :)

If you can fetch an asteroid and do all the test pilot missions i wouldn't object to such notions. You have clearly shown a great deal of understanding and respect to the Shuttle Challange

58 minutes ago, Artienia said:

If you can fetch an asteroid and do all the test pilot missions i wouldn't object to such notions. You have clearly shown a great deal of understanding and respect to the Shuttle Challange

I quickly went over the requirements for the Bonus/Test Missions. Asteroid mission should be manageable. Most of the Test Pilot missions also seem workable with Mk.2 limitations. I only have couple of questions that I must clear up

One mission that seems out of my scope is the STS-4T Skylab boost mission since the stuff that will need to be hauled around is way too big to fit inside the Mk.2 cargo bay. However, according to the mission description, I am allowed to make a station of my own. Am I allowed to scale down my "Skylab" while roughly having the same design and capability? Like if I substitute the Hitchhiker Storage Container with two MK.1 crew bays joined together (both will have a max capacity of 4 kerbals) or put smaller solar panels or antenna on the solar/comm array?

The other mission is the STS-3T Cassini-Huygens mission. It says that the entire payload (with transfer stage included) must fit inside a long Mk.3 bay and it is quite obvious that Mk.3 bay is out of the question for me. Can I substitute it with a Mk.2 cargo bay assembly of same or perhaps even smaller length?

Lastly, do I need to complete all Test Pilot missions in order or I am allowed to switch it up?

One more thing unrelated to stuff above: have you reviewed my Eve submission already? :ph34r:

Looking forward to your response :)

Hola everyone. I want to try joining that challenge (especially because I'm not-so-good at building shuttles :)), but I have a question. Is it allowed to submit missions where you were using life support mods? 

Edited by NuclearFish

1 hour ago, NuclearFish said:

Hola everyone. I want to try joining that challenge (especially because I'm not-so-good at building shuttles :)), but I have a question. Is it allowed to submit missions where you were using life support mods? 

Yeah, but they might be considered modded, and you’d get the silver feathers instead of the gold ones, but I’m not the mod here.

Edited by Austin_Kerman
I think the silver laurels are only for part mods, so you might be fine.

14 hours ago, OJT said:

I quickly went over the requirements for the Bonus/Test Missions. Asteroid mission should be manageable. Most of the Test Pilot missions also seem workable with Mk.2 limitations. I only have couple of questions that I must clear up

One mission that seems out of my scope is the STS-4T Skylab boost mission since the stuff that will need to be hauled around is way too big to fit inside the Mk.2 cargo bay. However, according to the mission description, I am allowed to make a station of my own. Am I allowed to scale down my "Skylab" while roughly having the same design and capability? Like if I substitute the Hitchhiker Storage Container with two MK.1 crew bays joined together (both will have a max capacity of 4 kerbals) or put smaller solar panels or antenna on the solar/comm array?

The other mission is the STS-3T Cassini-Huygens mission. It says that the entire payload (with transfer stage included) must fit inside a long Mk.3 bay and it is quite obvious that Mk.3 bay is out of the question for me. Can I substitute it with a Mk.2 cargo bay assembly of same or perhaps even smaller length?

Lastly, do I need to complete all Test Pilot missions in order or I am allowed to switch it up?

One more thing unrelated to stuff above: have you reviewed my Eve submission already? :ph34r:

Not a challenge mod but.

For STS-3T, I would interpret it as requiring that the spacecraft can fit in the long Mk3 bay, but if it goes up in a different size bay then that's fine.

For STS-4T I'm not sure. Personally I think it'd be coolest if you contrive some way to take the oversized cargo down.

I also think you'll need to lightly modify your launch system for 2T (the RTLS). Just swapping the Mammoth for four Vectors so you can shut one down should do it.

17 hours ago, OJT said:

I'm afraid this is something only Sturm can anwser, this is outside my juristiction 

5 hours ago, cantab said:

Not a challenge mod but.

For STS-3T, I would interpret it as requiring that the spacecraft can fit in the long Mk3 bay, but if it goes up in a different size bay then that's fine.

For STS-4T I'm not sure. Personally I think it'd be coolest if you contrive some way to take the oversized cargo down.

I also think you'll need to lightly modify your launch system for 2T (the RTLS). Just swapping the Mammoth for four Vectors so you can shut one down should do it.

For STS-3T I've figured as much, I just wanted to make sure with the challenge mods
For STS-4T, bringing oversized cargo down can be an interesting approach. I'll see what I can work out of it

And yes. I did want to swap out the engines on the Launch System. Should be easy, I've already built many boosters with multiple Vectors

3 hours ago, Artienia said:

I'm afraid this is something only Sturm can anwser, this is outside my juristiction 

In that case, paging @sturmhauke :ph34r:. I will quote my original post so you won't need to search for it

20 hours ago, OJT said:

On 5/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, OJT said:

@Artienia I've completed the Jool STS-1 Mission. Aiming for Commander rank as usual

Jool STS-1 Submission

And I don't know whether you reviewed my Eve submission yet or you simply forgot to give out the badge, so I will link my Eve submission again, also for Commander rank

Eve STS-1 Submission

Sorry! I'm currently abroad for two weeks and the net is quite.... yeah. None of the images load. When i get a better net (maybe an internet cafe) i can grade them, but i'm confident in your skills! Now only the Bonus and Test missions are behind right?

11 minutes ago, Artienia said:

Sorry! I'm currently abroad for two weeks and the net is quite.... yeah. None of the images load. When i get a better net (maybe an internet cafe) i can grade them, but i'm confident in your skills! Now only the Bonus and Test missions are behind right?

Take your time, I am not in a hurry
There is also the Minmus mission left to do, but yes, Test Pilot Series and Asteroid recovery