Shuttle Challenge v6 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] Now with RSS badges!

5 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Your mission looks good overall, but I'm not sure about that fuel pod

The fuel pod weighs something like 39.96 tons I think. Plus the main shuttle itself is completely full in orbit because I went overboard on the boosters, so it's basically as if I'm delivering 100+ tons to orbit (fully loaded shuttle + fuel pod)

STS-3 submission

vrJUP63.png

Ascent

7ePl9nH.png

Booster drop

eGwrX0t.png

Plane change and circularization

uGqmC6p.png

Bill grabs the solar panels from the cargo container

PZeqqW0.png

Telescope has RCS thrusters for station keeping. Bill welds the solar panels onto the rocket

L8Zd10W.png

The infrared telescope is fully deployed

PfIBKkf.png

Descent

D0m16Pi.png

Landed

5 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

There's something weird happening with your video link. The embedded video won't play, and clicking on it doesn't go to the video, just the YouTube front page. I had to find it on your channel. Might want to check your links.

Technical issues aside, looks like a well-executed mission, and you got a decently large spud. Good work!

A68R63E.png

Thanks! I just tested the embedded video in Firefox and Chrome and it works for both.

Not sure what was happening there but I removed the video from my post and re-added it hoping that this fixes whatever was broken.

As it is the same install / modlist and my craft is still (and will remain to be) pure stock I'd like to use the golden version of the banner if that is ok with you.

Evidence: https://kerbalx.com/Fulgora/STS-v4-STS-9

I have removed the unused part-mods for my STS Mun-1 mission and did some general cleanup of my install... just in case :wink:

On 1/17/2021 at 7:26 AM, camacju said:

The fuel pod weighs something like 39.96 tons I think. Plus the main shuttle itself is completely full in orbit because I went overboard on the boosters, so it's basically as if I'm delivering 100+ tons to orbit (fully loaded shuttle + fuel pod)

I'll let it go, but please try to get screenshots of all required mission parameters.

SqFdIsd.png

I see you're using the new 1.11 attachments for STS-3. Looks good, Commander!

RLAcd9v.png

On 1/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, Fulgora said:

As it is the same install / modlist and my craft is still (and will remain to be) pure stock I'd like to use the golden version of the banner if that is ok with you.

Evidence: https://kerbalx.com/Fulgora/STS-v4-STS-9

Right, sorry. Here you go!

oQVsUD5.png

I have taken my Shuttle on a trip to the Mun, deploying the first part of the base:

In case Youtube botched the embedded video again here is a direct link.

Even though this STS Mun-1 mission did not require a high latitude deployment I have chosen to make the science lab a part of the future base.

Once I had figured out which engine settings to use on the Mun landing and takeoff (part of the design phase of the payload) the actual execution of the mission was very easy (no reloads required on the Mun). The base itself sits at 59.40°N. I did scout a place at 60° but realized that I stopped in the wrong spot only after editing was done. So I hope this is not a problem. I could of course drive / fly the module to 60° but since this spot is very level and only a hundred meters or so off the requirement for STS Mun-2-4 I hope that this will still qualify and that I can leave my base where it is without becoming a gatecrasher for the commanders level badge. If I need to move the module up north a few meters please let me know @sturmhauke.

In the end I did massively overshoot the KSC and upon realizing that I decided to take my chances at the Island instead. So the island landing  was not planned but just happened accidentally. It took a few tries though but to my surprise the island runway is actually flat now - the last time I used that runway (a long long time ago) it was very bumpy and difficult to land on. I believe this was actually the first return from Orbit to the island runway I have ever done. With the successful island landing I am now quite confident to be able to also stick a desert runway landing and might go for that in the future :cool:

Completion of the base will take some time as its quite a few launches and I don't have much time for editing at the moment.

KerbalX link: https://kerbalx.com/Fulgora/STS-v4-STS-Mun-1  <-- This is a  pure stock craft, just saying :P.

Mod-List (as per usual for compliance reasons etc.):

Spoiler

Astrogator v0.10.2
BetterBurnTime 1.10
BetterCrewAssignment 1.4
BreakingGround-DLC 1.5.1
CameraTools v1.14.0
Chatterer 0.9.99
ChattererExtended 0.6.2
ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.14
CommNetAntennasInfo 3.0.2
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.9.1
DynamicBatteryStorage 2:2.1.10.0
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.10.1-3
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1
KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0
KerbalChangelog v1.3.0
KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.7.2
KerbalJointReinforcementContinued v3.5.1
KerbalXMod 1.1.0
Kopernicus 2:release-1.9.1-13
KXAPI 1.2.0
MakingHistory-DLC 1.10.1
MechJeb2 2.11.0.0
ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.7.0
ModuleManager 4.1.4
Parallax 1.1.1b
PlanetShine 0.2.6.3
PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.3
ProjectManager v2.4
RealPlume 2:v13.3.2
RealPlume-StockConfigs v4.0.3
ReentryParticleEffect 1.9.1.1
Scatterer 3:v0.0632
Scatterer-config 3:v0.0632
Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0632
ShipManifest 6.0.2.0
SmartParts 1.9.16
SmokeScreen 2.8.14.0
SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.4.1
Toolbar 1:1.8.0.5
ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4
TrackingStationEvolved 6.0
TriggerAu-Flags v2.10.0.0
WaypointManager 2.8.2.6
ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1

Edited by Fulgora
On 1/23/2021 at 8:58 AM, Fulgora said:

I have taken my Shuttle on a trip to the Mun, deploying the first part of the base:

In case Youtube botched the embedded video again here is a direct link.

Even though this STS Mun-1 mission did not require a high latitude deployment I have chosen to make the science lab a part of the future base.

Once I had figured out which engine settings to use on the Mun landing and takeoff (part of the design phase of the payload) the actual execution of the mission was very easy (no reloads required on the Mun). The base itself sits at 59.40CN. I did scout a place at 60° but realized that I stopped in the wrong spot only after editing was done. So I hope this is not a problem. I could of course drive / fly the module to 60° but since this spot is very level and only a hundred meters or so off the requirement for STS Mun-2-4 I hope that this will still qualify and that I can leave my base where it is without becoming a gatecrasher for the commanders level badge. If I need to move the module up north a few meters please let me know @sturmhauke.

In the end I did massively overshoot the KSC and upon realizing that I decided to take my chances at the Island instead. So the island landing  was not planned but just happened accidentally. It took a few tries though but to my surprise the island runway is actually flat now - the last time I used that runway (a long long time ago) it was very bumpy and difficult to land on. I believe this was actually the first return from Orbit to the island runway I have ever done. With the successful island landing I am now quite confident to be able to also stick a desert runway landing and might go for that in the future :cool:

Completion of the base will take some time as its quite a few launches and I don't have much time for editing at the moment.

KerbalX link: https://kerbalx.com/Fulgora/STS-v4-STS-Mun-1  <-- This is a  pure stock craft, just saying :P.

Mod-List (as per usual for compliance reasons etc.):

Reveal hidden contents

Astrogator v0.10.2
BetterBurnTime 1.10
BetterCrewAssignment 1.4
BreakingGround-DLC 1.5.1
CameraTools v1.14.0
Chatterer 0.9.99
ChattererExtended 0.6.2
ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.14
CommNetAntennasInfo 3.0.2
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.9.1
DynamicBatteryStorage 2:2.1.10.0
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.10.1-3
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1
KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0
KerbalChangelog v1.3.0
KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.7.2
KerbalJointReinforcementContinued v3.5.1
KerbalXMod 1.1.0
Kopernicus 2:release-1.9.1-13
KXAPI 1.2.0
MakingHistory-DLC 1.10.1
MechJeb2 2.11.0.0
ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.7.0
ModuleManager 4.1.4
Parallax 1.1.1b
PlanetShine 0.2.6.3
PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.3
ProjectManager v2.4
RealPlume 2:v13.3.2
RealPlume-StockConfigs v4.0.3
ReentryParticleEffect 1.9.1.1
Scatterer 3:v0.0632
Scatterer-config 3:v0.0632
Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0632
ShipManifest 6.0.2.0
SmartParts 1.9.16
SmokeScreen 2.8.14.0
SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.4.1
Toolbar 1:1.8.0.5
ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4
TrackingStationEvolved 6.0
TriggerAu-Flags v2.10.0.0
WaypointManager 2.8.2.6
ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1

Looking good! And a nice landing at an alternate site too! The base latitude is fine, if you round up it's 60°N. Good job Commander! (I remembered the right badge this time lol)

dp7pOFU.png