Apollo Style Redux v3

14 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

not culmative, otherwise it becomes, Whose computer can handle the highest part count on the lander

i award you with 125 points

but up to four they are in fact, culmative, knock yourself out

With his use of future "tense" in the description i think i figured that he hasn't done it yet

22 minutes ago, BallistX said:

With his use of future "tense" in the description i think i figured that he hasn't done it yet

True, I haven't. Although I have landed... But my rover crashed when I turned on x4 acceleration, so I'll have to do that part again. And I am planning on doing all the things that get you points except land on Armstrong, so I think I'll get some more points than 125. In my previous post I only mentioned some of the things I am planning to do on top of that.

Edited by QF9E

1 minute ago, BallistX said:

You forgot to take screenshots of the whole journey, you need one per point-making part

No, you forgot to follow a link. Please provide a list of mission goals for which I haven't included a screenshot in the linked imgur album.

Edited by QF9E

4 minutes ago, QF9E said:

No, you forgot to follow a link. Please provide a list of mission goals for which I haven't included a screenshot in the linked imgur album.

I think it might be difficult to confirm there are 4 MunSEPs at least 1 km from eachother only with the magenta vessel markers.

11 minutes ago, BallistX said:

I think it might be difficult to confirm there are 4 MunSEPs at least 1 km from eachother only with the magenta vessel markers.

Good point. I made this zoomed screenshot. I hope this is clear enough.

cWxJp33.png

Distances to the MUNseps. Distances are 1005.3 meters, 2.1 km, 3.2 km and 10.1 km. Since the MUNseps are in line with each other, you can easily deduce that the MUNseps are also more than 1km distant from each other.

PewHQNZ.png

The same image in high contrast

Edited by QF9E

33 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I'm not the mission creator so I have no idea; I just like seeing successful abort tests.

I've done the abort tests and have added pictures from the tests to the mission report:

1qCcrXZ.png

Pad abort

4ielXzz.png

With a safe landing. This is not entirely trivial as you don't have a lot of time to deploy chutes

saM2woo.png

In-flight abort.

1HqrWCw.png

With a safe landing as well.

Edited by QF9E

Mission completed in KSP v1.7.3

The escape tower system works, it's a design I use on all my manned flights that use this capsule.

Spoiler

Start +50     3 Kerbals +20     Launch Escape Tower +15      Saturn V Look-a-like +10

ApRed01.jpg

And we're off

ApRed02.jpg

1st stage jettisoned

ApRed03.jpg

Interstage adapter jettisoned

ApRed04.jpg

2nd stage jettisoned

ApRed05.jpg

Launch escape tower jettisoned (bit slow on the screen capture to actually catch it flying off)

ApRed06.jpg

Parking orbit burn (Munar insertion burn looks exactly the same)

ApRed07.jpg

Path from Free Return Trajectory +10

ApRed08.jpg

Free return trajectory shown from the Mun end

ApRed11.jpg

MEM behind fairing and beneath CSM +5 and +20

ApRed09.jpg

CSM docking with MEM +10

ApRed10.jpg

MEM on it's way to the surface.  Bill drew the short straw and had to stay behind in the CSM

ApRed12.jpg

I'm telling you Jeb, my eyes have always been better than yours, and that little blob down there is where we need to land.

ApRed13.jpg

Told you!

ApRed14.jpg

I think that qualifies for Land on the bright side, 5m from Monument and flag plant  +10, +20 and +5

ApRed15.jpg

2stage MEM +20

ApRed16.jpg

Orbital Rendezvous

ApRed17.jpg

Crash MEM into Mun (yellow path) +5

ApRed18.jpg

Service module jettisoned prior to re-entry

ApRed19.jpg

Ocean Splashdown +5

ApRed20.jpg

If my maths is correct, that totals 205pts

Edited by Scarecrow

15 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Mission completed in KSP v1.7.3

The escape tower system works, it's a design I use on all my manned flights that use this capsule.

Hide contents

Start +50     3 Kerbals +20     Launch Escape Tower +15      Saturn V Look-a-like +10

ApRed01.jpg

And we're off

ApRed02.jpg

1st stage jettisoned

ApRed03.jpg

Interstage adapter jettisoned

ApRed04.jpg

2nd stage jettisoned

ApRed05.jpg

Launch escape tower jettisoned (bit slow on the screen capture to actually catch it flying off)

ApRed06.jpg

Parking orbit burn (Munar insertion burn looks exactly the same)

ApRed07.jpg

Path from Free Return Trajectory +10

ApRed08.jpg

Free return trajectory shown from the Mun end

ApRed11.jpg

MEM behind fairing and beneath CSM +5 and +20

ApRed09.jpg

CSM docking with MEM +10

ApRed10.jpg

MEM on it's way to the surface.  Bill drew the short straw and had to stay behind in the CSM

ApRed12.jpg

I'm telling you Jeb, my eyes have always been better than yours, and that little blob down there is where we need to land.

ApRed13.jpg

Told you!

ApRed14.jpg

I think that qualifies for Land on the bright side, 5m from Monument and flag plant  +10, +20 and +5

ApRed15.jpg

2stage MEM +20

ApRed16.jpg

Orbital Rendezvous

ApRed17.jpg

Crash MEM into Mun (yellow path) +5

ApRed18.jpg

Service module jettisoned prior to re-entry

ApRed19.jpg

Ocean Splashdown +5

ApRed20.jpg

If my maths is correct, that totals 205pts

No, Making History saturn 5 parts do not get you points you lose 5 pts for using them your actual score is 195(you thought you got 5 points at 200 pts but you actually lost pts still you have best score so far.

1 hour ago, kspnerd122 said:

No, Making History saturn 5 parts do not get you points you lose 5 pts for using them your actual score is 195(you thought you got 5 points at 200 pts but you actually lost pts still you have best score so far.

Didn't realise I'd used that - it's an old design.  Before that was available, all my Saturn V style craft used a capsule by Alcor, which is much better than the original standard 2 man lander capsule, and that's what I thought was on this one.  Probably would have lost points for using a mod capsule though.

Would be a simple matter to add 2 drogue chutes for an extra 10 points, but I think I would only do this one again if I also added a buggy and small satellite for the additional points they also give.

Edited by Scarecrow

@kspnerd122 I think you have overlooked my mission, as you judged Scarecrow's mission before mine even though they posted later. Could you please take a look and tell me if you agree with me that I fulfilled every mission objective except the Armstrong memorial landing?

For your convenience, I will repeat the links with mission reports once more, in case you have inadvertently overlooked them the first time around:

Mission report in chronological order: https://imgur.com/a/fr1iS1Z

Special report of the same mission with pictures for every mission objective, in the order that they are listed in the OP: https://imgur.com/a/s4h4LgL

Okay, here is the link to my video entry. I believe I have collected every point in the challenge, whatever that adds up to. I don't know what is considered an "Apollo part," because I've had both DLCs for a long time. I just avoided all of the 5m parts and the pre-made lander and made all of my own stuff. I used a 5m fairing to make the size/shape of the first stage. 

I have been trying to improve my previous submission, with improved spacecraft, lander and rover designs. And after many landing attempts, I succeeded in landing on top of the Neil Armstrong Memorial!

M82jOQC.png

I still have to finish the rest of the mission, but I am so delighted with this result that I wanted to share it with you all.

And the rover has its own RCS system now (a safety feature as I suffered quite a few moments of unwanted airtime during previous attempts at this mission) so it will be able to fly down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.