Contract Pack - History of Spaceflight - V1.0

Morphisor

7 hours ago, Morphisor said:

You know what, if really all it takes is a namechange of the defined experiment, getting Kerbalism compatibility may just be easy enough to consider doing myself after all. Can you provide a full list of the definitions changed by Kerbalism, so I can see how much work it would be?

Honestly, it may not be worth it. Kerbalism significantly changes how science works. There is no transmission of unmanned experiments you have already completed, for example.  This will mean it does not play well with your pack, as I am finding out.

It's a shame because both are great add-ons. 

AFAIK, Kerbalism also changes the science defs for nearly everything, but there is only one BDB experiment where the experiment ID is changed. For what it is worth.

9 hours ago, Occam99 said:

Honestly, it may not be worth it. Kerbalism significantly changes how science works. There is no transmission of unmanned experiments you have already completed, for example.  This will mean it does not play well with your pack, as I am finding out.

It's a shame because both are great add-ons. 

AFAIK, Kerbalism also changes the science defs for nearly everything, but there is only one BDB experiment where the experiment ID is changed. For what it is worth.

Alright, thanks for your input. I'll leave it be then.

On 5/4/2020 at 1:36 PM, combater2006 said:

Are we gonna be able to build the ISS together in this contract pack???

Not currently, but it is planned to have ISS contracts included, yes. Don't expect them soon though, a lot of stuff to do before that and no promises on how quick it gets done.

Hello.

First of all, great mod and thanks for keeping it updated.:cool:

I have few issues while recovering Kappa-1 (JAXA) and R-12 Devina (CCCP) probes. Contract does not get completed after I try to recover them. I can do succesfully all needed parts of the contract (launch, science & flight to the needed heights and return to Kerbin), but after that it still stays on active contracts. I'm talking about the 700 contracts Stock version here.

I know that it does not work well with Kerbalism, but its still weird that contract with any scientific experience does not get completed, because I have done already couple other very similar contracts just fine. :) I will try to test both contracts without Kerbalism at some point later, but I wanted you to know about possible issue there. I might even try Pocket Edition with Kerbalism to see if there is similar issues with it.

Edit. Tested Kappa-1 with + 700 Contract Stock without Kerbalism, it works fine. So the issue was that it does not work with Kerbalism, I was kinda expecting that. :confused:

Edited by KPD87
Added test result without 'Kerbalism' mod.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, Morphisor said:

This is even more strange, I've never had an instance where the contract that just completed was offered again, and I cannot reproduce the issue you describe. Not sure what could be done about it either, the only thing required for ANY contract in this pack is for the pre-requisite contract to be completed. And even that can easily be turned off in the CC debug menu. The only thing I can say is to double check CC and any other related mods are installed correctly, and hopefully you didn't install 2 versions of this pack either.

Aside from the Field Science pack and whatever contracts come with Strategia yours is the only one I have, and all I've done to it is to go into the Missions folder and delete everything but the USA Missions folder.

That specific problem seemed to only occur because I hadn't actually left the atmosphere. Once I reached space everything is moving along as expected.

5GlZamE.jpg

Moving on, can someone tell me why neither mission thinks I'm not in orbit, despite the fact I definitely am?

This is the second satellite I've launched, the first was recognized as in orbit, but the inclination was wrong.
The second got the inclination correct, but the mission refuses to recognize I'm in orbit.

Edited by Guest

@KPD87 Yeah by now it's pretty safe to say most science objectives will have trouble with Kerbalism. I particularly suspect the ones inside vesselparametergroups to be harder to do with it installed. I will add a note to the installation instructions; basically you'll want to disable any affected objectives before taking the contract, when using Kerbalism.

@MailletC At this point I'm almost certain there's issues with either your savegame or your install. Try and see if it works on a new career save, it's actually pretty common for issues like this to start popping up in pre-existing saves. Beyond that, all I can advise is a clean install.

Soyuz fans, good news for you!

It's been a little quiet on the updates front, life's been busy, you know how it is. 
However, I've not been sitting entirely idle: I just pushed a new dev branch commit, adding 24 new Soyuz missions! These are Soyuz 21-40 and Soyuz T-1 to T-4; mostly visits to Salyut-5 and Salyut-6.

I will soon be looking to wrap up the current dev cycle and put out all the additions since 0.8.1 into a proper 0.9 release. If there's any feedback or issues, please don't hold back so I can include it.
Of course, I don't plan on being done with it quite yet after that...

• 2 weeks later...

And the time has come to wrap up all updates since the last major release into an official new release version:

History of Spaceflight 0.9.0 is live!

At time of writing the update should be available on GitHub and Spacedock; CKAN users may have to wait for the repository to update.

This release includes everything already shown here before, as has been available through the dev version.
However, I added something extra: I concluded the entire Salyut/Soyuz suite by adding the missing Soyuz T missions, numbers 5-14.

With this update, nearly 90 new missions have been added since the last major version!

The summary of the full changelog since version 0.8.1 is this:

- Added Surveyor missions 3-7.
- Added additional Coatl Aerospace parameters for Mariner 3-4 and all Surveyor missions.
- Added all manned Apollo missions, including Apollo I as a memorial mission.
- Added all Skylab missions.
- Added all Salyut launch missions, 1-7.
- Added Soyuz missions up until Soyuz 40 and Soyuz T missions 1-14.
- Added Lunar Orbiter missions 3-5.
- Adjusted BDB parameters to differentiate between BDB 1.7 and earlier versions.
- Additional MM patches to support combined installs of BDB and SCANsat & DMOS.
- Various small fixes and balancing.

As always, please report any bugs and balance issues as you find them and I will get back to you.

I absolutely love the contract pack and this has gotten me into creating more missions and possibly getting into blender to fill in the gap of spacecraft not included by other mods. I've only had a few problems, the most major being Gemini VIA and VII, when performing the rendezvous I got the craft close together and even docked them but I was not able to complete the mission requirements for rendezvous. Do I need to rename the spacecraft to specifically say Gemini VIA and VII?

13 hours ago, RexMcMonkey said:

I absolutely love the contract pack and this has gotten me into creating more missions and possibly getting into blender to fill in the gap of spacecraft not included by other mods. I've only had a few problems, the most major being Gemini VIA and VII, when performing the rendezvous I got the craft close together and even docked them but I was not able to complete the mission requirements for rendezvous. Do I need to rename the spacecraft to specifically say Gemini VIA and VII?

So you want to write missions also, anything specific in mind?

As for Gemini VI-A & VII, I've done a good bit of testing today and can only confirm what you are finding. The rendezvous parameter is simply refusing to complete and I have currently no clue at all why :/
I've tried simplifying the contracts and even removing the rendezvous part from Gemini VII, but nothing seems to work so far. Only thing I can still think of is that it's simply not identifying the other vessel correctly - but the identifier is identical to the one put in from the other contract, so :confused:

Naming the craft won't help at all, the craft are given (semi-hidden) identifiers within the contracts.

Will do more testing on this, gotta get this fixed for sure. By chance, anyone else with experience on this or other contracts within the pack with rendezvous behaviour? I'd like to know if other, similar contracts have the same issue.

@RexMcMonkey I have finally identified the issue, after further testing. Turns out, that a rendezvous or docking parameter simply will not track the given target vessel if that target vessel still has a VesselParameterGroup with unachieved objectives. Only when the VesselParameterGroup is closed, does the associated vessel become trackable for CC. I consider this an issue and have reported it as such on the CC Github, but with Nightingale being away as he is, I doubt this is going to be resolved any time soon.

So in the meantime, I will need to adjust the affected contracts to work around the issue. Fortunately, the effects should be relatively minor; this mostly means that some objectives become generic objectives instead of being associated with a specific vessel.

I'm almost certain there's other contracts affected by this issue, so give me some time to go through the lot to see just where adjustments are needed. Expect a fix and 0.9.1 release version within the week.

Alright, I think I got everything that needed fixing by now. That means it's time for an updated release!

History of Spaceflight 0.9.1 is now a thing!

Changelog:

- Reduced Pocket Edition cooldown timers between sequenced missions.
- Fixed some science recovery objectives not completing.
- Fixed docking/rendezvous parameters not completing; adjusted sequencing to workaround CC behaviour in this regard.
- Other minor typo's etc.

Get it on Spacedock, CKAN or GitHub:

https://github.com/Frylovespi/History-of-Spaceflight/releases/tag/0.9.1

Thanks for the reports and feedback.

Thanks so much for getting this contract pack going again and expanding it! This sort of contract pack has always been a necessity for me, and it's fantastic not to have to rely on the franken-version I'd cobbled together to use a few months ago.

If I could a tiny bit of feedback though, the new eccentricity requirements make a lot of missions... tedious. Might just be me though.

Anyway, thanks again!

12 hours ago, mozartbeatle said:

Thanks so much for getting this contract pack going again and expanding it! This sort of contract pack has always been a necessity for me, and it's fantastic not to have to rely on the franken-version I'd cobbled together to use a few months ago.

If I could a tiny bit of feedback though, the new eccentricity requirements make a lot of missions... tedious. Might just be me though.

Anyway, thanks again!

Thanks for playing!

I'm sorry you feel that way about the eccentricity requirements. They are part of my design to recreate the historical orbits - even in differently scaled systems. Simply scaling the Ap and Pe isn't enough, as smaller scaled homeworlds tend to have relatively high atmosphere altitudes. This is particularly noticeable in stock, where you will find many scaled altitudes to default to the minimum space altitude because of this.

So, in order to still get players a properly sized orbit, relative to the planet, eccentricity is used.

Been loving this pack.  One issue I'm having that I hope you can help with - I'm working with BlueDog as much as possible, so when I get to the first of the "double stack" satellites (the Transit/Grab Model stack), I'm not sure what to do.  The BDB probe isn't actually stackable as far as I can tell.  I tried bringing in the US Probes pack, but even though it has the right satellites, the Transit model currently has something wrong and it won't stay attached to anything.  I've asked for help in that thread to no answer, but in the meantime, is there any suggestion to complete this contract using only BDB probe parts or do I just need to build a pair of probes that work with stock parts?

BTW, the other issue with this is that there aren't many "relay"-type antenna in the parts packs at this point in the progression, so that has also created an interesting challenge, but not an impossible one.

18 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Been loving this pack.  One issue I'm having that I hope you can help with - I'm working with BlueDog as much as possible, so when I get to the first of the "double stack" satellites (the Transit/Grab Model stack), I'm not sure what to do.  The BDB probe isn't actually stackable as far as I can tell.  I tried bringing in the US Probes pack, but even though it has the right satellites, the Transit model currently has something wrong and it won't stay attached to anything.  I've asked for help in that thread to no answer, but in the meantime, is there any suggestion to complete this contract using only BDB probe parts or do I just need to build a pair of probes that work with stock parts?

BTW, the other issue with this is that there aren't many "relay"-type antenna in the parts packs at this point in the progression, so that has also created an interesting challenge, but not an impossible one.

I know exactly what you mean with the stacking of probes, most of the BDB probes don't allow it sadly. They won't allow surface attachment either. So some creativity and departure from a strictly historical look is probably necessary here. There's no BDB probe that strictly represents the Transit probe, though a few are similar in design. I ended up going for a smaller probe on the bottom - using the explorer 7 model - and placing the Tat-phon probe (transit) on top. For low tech level, this was the only way I could combine both probes AND have a relay antenna. I recommend the Tat-phon helical antenna here, takes a while before any others unlock.

Thanks for the reply.   That's kinda what I was figuring at least for now.  Yeah, the Tat-phon is the one I'm using as the Transit stand-in with an Explorer as the GRAB stand-in.  I will try the reverse-stack and see if that works.  Otherwise, I guess I'll just go with the stock analogue with TweakScale as necessary to fit the fairing.

kappa-10.png

I can not pass the mission Kappa-10
The satellite rises above 125 kilometers, but nothing else happens. Anologous missions were completed normally.

Nothing more is required in the description.
The satellite rises above 125 kilometers, but nothing else happens. Anologous missions were completed normally.

Edited by Russos

1 hour ago, Russos said:

kappa-10.png

Looks like the required situation is in error. It's set to flying, but that won't help when you go outside of atmosphere. Fix will be up on dev version soon!