Kerbal Steam Key on G2A--legit?

Klapaucius

Hi,

I have a few colleagues intersted in KSP and while in lockdown, thought it would be a good time to get started on it. There are currently no sales on the main site or Steam but I saw this on G2A---KSP for $NZ 12.98.  I've never used this before. Is this a legit site?

Thanks

https://www.g2a.com/en-gb/kerbal-space-program-steam-key-global-i10000014989005?aid=12043976&___currency=NZD&er=e9f28d6c5ff479d13c2e0b9e0fcadefb&___language=en&adid=GMC_NZ-Smart&id=14&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInaHrh-PK6AIVipOPCh2oMQBIEAYYASABEgLS-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

8 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That's like asking in the late 90's, "I found this copy of a song on Kazaa, did you think it's a legit download?

Not really. Sites have sales. I had never heard of it, so i asked.  When Epic first came out and offered free downloads, I had the same question.

Hi Klapaucius.

It's a legit site. I know plenty of people that regularly get their games from this site. To date, none have reported a problem. If you're worried about being scammed, the likelihood is low - G2A seems to take this issue seriously.

But I don't use it, because I'd rather support the developer directly. I've read some articles that go into the huge dislike developers have for G2A (and resellers in general), who obviously don't receive your money when you buy through G2A - and if the key your buying has been fraudulently obtained, then you're doubly stiffing the dev.

And of course, there is always the chance that if your key isn't above board, the developer has every right to block it.

Finally - they slap on all sorts of fees - which is how they make their money. If you're comparing prices, wait until you're at the checkout. You might find you're not saving all that much.

I'd suggest letting your colleagues try out KSP on your account; they'll soon see it's worth every penny buying it direct from Steam! ;)

5 minutes ago, Chequers said:

I'd suggest letting your colleagues try out KSP on your account; they'll soon see it's worth every penny buying it direct from Steam! ;)

Thanks for the information. I like sales, but not keen on stiffing Squad.

As for my colleagues, they already have tried it.  Actually, we all work in a public library and run a KSP club for kids--obviously inactive at the moment. The colleagues help me out but do not have it at home, so I thought there might be a cheaper option to get them upskilled while on lockdown--and a nice diversion from more regular work.

Just now, Klapaucius said:

As for my colleagues, they already have tried it.  Actually, we all work in a public library and run a KSP club for kids--obviously inactive at the moment. The colleagues help me out but do not have it at home, so I thought there might be a cheaper option to get them upskilled while on lockdown--and a nice diversion from more regular work.

Well firstly, that sounds amazing.

Might be worth getting in touch with them directly, telling them what you're trying to achieve. Maybe they'd consider some kind of discount for services to the community. 

That's a great initiative to get kids into libraries for sure! I'd send my kids! Haha. 

3 minutes ago, Chequers said:

Well firstly, that sounds amazing.

Might be worth getting in touch with them directly, telling them what you're trying to achieve. Maybe they'd consider some kind of discount for services to the community. 

That's a great initiative to get kids into libraries for sure! I'd send my kids! Haha. 

The licences for the library are the EDU versions that came via Teacher Gaming,  and unfortunately, it seems they are not doing much with it at the moment (it is still on version 1.4.5) I have emailed our IT folks to see if we can temporarily migrate a licence or two. We shall see.

Edited by Klapaucius

I don't think anyone is giving you a straight answer.  It's a bit more complicated than yes or no.  G2A bills itself as a site for game keys like Amazon or eBay is for physical products.  In other words, its a middle person of sorts that hooks up buys and sellers for a fee on the seller's part.

The ethical nature of the business is up for debate.  Perhaps one of the clearest examples of a "gray market."  In other words, they use tricks that are not illegal to push down prices in what might be described as an unfair way.  YES, there were reports certain sellers that stole credit card numbers, got the keys and sold them on the site for pure profit of the seller, stiffing the affected credit card holder/bank with the bill.

However, some use currency manipulation (i.e. signing in on say Nord VPN to purchase the game from a country with a better exchange rate relative to their native currency, then selling the same product in a currency the trades favorably the other way, yet is quite cheap to a native with that new currency).  So looking at this posting...this seems like a good candidate if you are American.  The NZD dollar is cheaper than a USD (where the key unlocks) but probably way stronger than the ruble or whatever that the seller used to buy the key in the first place.

Other times, people just wait for a deep discount during a sale event.  Sit on the key for a few months...then sell it when no deals on said game are expected and make a profit that way.  You can ask this particular seller using the link in the upper right hand corner of the page to ask him or her how they got the key for so cheap. If they give you a straight answer involving something that doesn't seem fishy, take the deal.  If they demure and refuse to answer, then ditch it.

Here's a YouTube video on their practices.  The site itself is pretty scummy though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.