(Video) Kerbal Death Note

Mars-Bound Hokie

Ever wondered why your kerbals keep dying left and right, despite hours of preparation and practice? Here's your answer.

Bill Kerman is at the VAB adding struts to the new Apollo-Style Duna lander when he saw something fall out of the sky and onto the tracking station. He then picked it up and saw that it was a notebook; what really caught his eye was the message in the interior cover.

"The kerbal whose name is written on this notebook shall die."

Being the curious engineer that he is, he decided to test it. A total of three names later - and three dead kerbals - he realized the notebook's power was something to be taken seriously. Along with that, he saw his new purpose in life; to save all of kerbalkind from the filth growing within the species. Using the Kerbal Death Note, he now deals swift, effective justice throughout the entire solar system.

Please tell me what you think about the video. If you want to try the Kerbal Death Note for yourself, here's the forum game. All you need to do is:

1. Describe in detail what happens to the previous poster's victim, according to the specified cause of death.
  2. Name your next victim and cause of death (don't give specifics, because that's someone else's job).

If you like it, please like/comment/subscribe to my channel. I got more KSP content coming.

Spoiler

Filming:

Spoiler

For the writing scenes, I used a Death Note type game and recorded my screen writing down the names and causes of death. I made sure to get them right, because the Death Note is not designed to work with mistakes. As for the KSP gameplay, even though I was going to crash the vehicles, I tested them first to make sure they would actually work. The power of the Kerbal Death Note would look more awesome (and frightening) if the vehicles the victims died in functioned properly (during testing, at least).

• You don't need a death note to kill someone whose rocket is pointed DOWNWARD at the LAUNCH PAD.

It also took me a while to figure out how to film the talking scenes (when Bill is talking like Light, when Bill and Val are hiding at the island airfield, and when Mission Control is panicking).

Audio:

Spoiler

Both Light Yagami's monologue and the music were from the Death Note anime, but I downloaded them as two separate audios. I spliced them together so that I can have both the monologue and the second half of the song without having to listen to all that background grunting (except for that one guy who crashed through the window when that kerbalnaut hit the Mun). After being satisfied with the results on Audacity (took me a while), I added some sound effects - like the explosion and the splash - right as the vehicles hit the surface.

• I just turned up the gameplay volume really loud for the launch pad RAD, so you can hear the explosion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.