5-way symmetry: why can't we have more symmetry modes?

KSP suffers from the low-symmetry syndrom.

No CKAN-compatible mods (that I could find) can do it and I know that 5-way symmetry is something the community wanted since forever. If we have 3-way, why not 5-way?

The upper limit of symmetry should be configurable in the menu OR in the UI, with a slider under the symmetry button, so that players can set maximum modes they want to use (for example, a maximum of 6, but including 5). After all, a per-user customizable experience is always better. The default could be 6 or 8.

23 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I believe that Editor Extensions Redux provides 5-way symmetry.

Happy landings!

I have it installed and I all it changed when it comes to symmetry, is showing numbers in place of the default symmetry icons (1R, 2R, 3R, 4R, 6R, 8R). Its context menu doesn't show a way to change it, either.

Anyway, the whole point of this topic is that we should have it in the official game because it's such a simple and useful feature that can't be done manually. And as previously mentioned, if we have 3-way, why not 5-way (and even more - custom symmetry)?

Edited by Krzeszny

1 hour ago, Krzeszny said:

I have it installed and I all it changed when it comes to symmetry, is showing numbers in place of the default symmetry icons (1R, 2R, 3R, 4R, 6R, 8R). Its context menu doesn't show a way to change it, either.

Press "x" and "shift + x" to cycle through the symmetry modes, then you will actually get 5-way-symmetry if you have EEX installed. For some reason it doesn't work if you click on the symmetry button. Might be an oversight of the mod creator or a limitation of the game but it is indeed possible to get pretty much every symmetry mode you ever want (up to 20 by default but you can increase the "Max symmetry" value in the mod settings).

Also, I would agree that it would be nice to get this as a stock feature, like many other mod features^^

On 4/4/2020 at 5:43 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Press "x" and "shift + x" to cycle through the symmetry modes, then you will actually get 5-way-symmetry if you have EEX installed. For some reason it doesn't work if you click on the symmetry button. Might be an oversight of the mod creator or a limitation of the game but it is indeed possible to get pretty much every symmetry mode you ever want (up to 20 by default but you can increase the "Max symmetry" value in the mod settings).

Also, I would agree that it would be nice to get this as a stock feature, like many other mod features^^

EEX settings don't work at all in my KSP (on Steam). I can cycle only between default symmetries (1,2,3,4,6,8). The default setting is 20, but even when I set it to max 5, the symmetry button still only shows the default modes. The mod must be incompatible or broken.

Yet another reason not to have to install mods for features that could be in the game.

Edited by Krzeszny
grammar

There WAS a way to get both 5 and 9 way ymmery in older versions, until it was patched out.

hbH2K3X.png

Solar panels and landing legs on that use 5 way symmetry, just because i wanted to both make it look more like what its based upon (LC land base from e2160), and because it just looks odd alongside the usual symmetry modes.

If you are interested, i can easily upload a subassembly for 5 way symmetry that i use myself on one of my land bases (its a soft replica or something that has 5 legs on it, and i couldnt be bothered to manually move everything around to give it pseudo 5 way symmetry with 5 separate legs).  I havent myself used 9 way for anything, but its easy to make 9 way symmetry in older versions too so i could always custom make you assembly with it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2020 at 7:21 AM, kspnerd122 said:

We should get 5 way symmetry and 9 way symmetry(So Delta 2 Replicas are easier to make.

EditorExtensions can give you up to 20x symmetry

On 4/6/2020 at 6:25 AM, Krzeszny said:

EEX settings don't work at all in my KSP (on Steam). I can cycle only between default symmetries (1,2,3,4,6,8). The default setting is 20, but even when I set it to max 5, the symmetry button still only shows the default modes. The mod must be incompatible or broken.

Yet another reason not to have install mods for features that could be in the game.

Sounds like it isn’t installed correctly, or is missing a dependency

6 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

There is a glitch that allows for large symmetries and then you can use shift+x to reduce it.

I think to use that glitch you have to

• Place a (temporary) part in 6 fold symmetry
  • Right click and remove one part from the symmetry
  • Hover with the part you want in 5 fold symmetry over one of the parts and place it.
  • Remove the temporary parts

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 9:01 AM, EveMaster said:

• Place a (temporary) part in 6 fold symmetry
  • Right click and remove one part from the symmetry
  • Hover with the part you want in 5 fold symmetry over one of the parts and place it.
  • Remove the temporary parts

I do this for 5-fold symmetry quite often. Sometimes I make a temporary 8-fold symmetric part group, delete one, and then use that to do 7-fold symmetry.

Additionally, if you want more than 8-fold, you can make a single radial-attached part, and then attach multiple (say, 6) symmetric radial parts on that, then take the single part they're attached to, pick it up, and reattach it on the main craft in multiple (say, 8) fold symmetry. Now you have a group of parts that are logically, if not geometrically, in a many-fold symmetry group. With careful maneuvering of the camera and mouse you can then create new parts in many-fold symmetry groups. The trick is not to pass the mouse over any other symmetry groups between the temporary many-fold symmetry group, and the non-symmetric part you actually want to attach many symmetric parts to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.