I'm having issues with modding

I wanted to mod my game with BD Armory, so I followed a tutorial online, did all the steps, put the BDArmory file into GameData, but when I open the game, nothing from the mod showed up. I followed a different tutorial, still, no luck. Could someone please help me out?

CKAN is easier to do and has the benefits of being far easier to track, updates are found automatically and you can even copy the entire game to have several instances all with different mods installed. But, not all mods are on CKAN and it doesn't always get versions right (it can sometimes suggest a mod version will work for you when it won't, or vice versa).

8 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

not all mods are on CKAN and it doesn't always get versions right (it can sometimes suggest a mod version will work for you when it won't, or vice versa).

... none of which matters much to a newbie having problems installing BDArmory.

Let's do this step by step:

0) If you have already tried to install BDArmory manually, undo all changes you have done so far to your "GameData" folder.

1) If you haven't done it already or you are unsure if you got the correct thing, go ahead and download CKAN from this link

2) You'll probably get a warning from windows defender when you try to run the .exe for the first time but don't worry, it's fine. Windows just complains that it doesn't now the author of the file which is a potential risk but this is one of the most used tools around here, the code is available for everyone to check on github and many different people are working on it. If anything there would be anything shady about CKAN, we would know it. So you can tell windows to accept the risk and run the executable.

3) CKAN will ask you for the location of your KSP install and the "buildID64.txt" which is part of it. select this .txt file and CKAN will initialize itself for this KSP install. It will also ask you if you want to be notified if an update is available and something else I forgot about. It's not that difficult, you'll see :)

4) now you should see the CKAN user interface, which allows you to search for mods which are compatible with your game and install them with just a few clicks. So search for "bdarmory" in the "filter by mod name" field, put a check mark in the "install" box and hit "apply changes" to install the mod.

TinuAIq.png

CKAN will now download and install the mod and it's dependencies (in this case physics range extender) for you. You may get ask if you want to install some more mods which are suggested by the mod creator to use in combination with his mod, it's up to you if you want to pick any of these.

In case I forgot anything specifically for you, some time ago I wrote this tutorial on mod installation which includes a part about CKAN as well:

Of course, if you still have any questions or struggle at some point of instructions so far, don't hesitate to ask, we will be happy to help you :)

when i click on that link, it brings me back here

3 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Let's do this step by step:

0) If you have already tried to install BDArmory manually, undo all changes you have done so far to your "GameData" folder.

1) If you haven't done it already or you are unsure if you got the correct thing, go ahead and download CKAN from this link

2) You'll probably get a warning from windows defender when you try to run the .exe for the first time but don't worry, it's fine. Windows just complains that it doesn't now the author of the file which is a potential risk but this is one of the most used tools around here, the code is available for everyone to check on github and many different people are working on it. If anything there would be anything shady about CKAN, we would know it. So you can tell windows to accept the risk and run the executable.

3) CKAN will ask you for the location of your KSP install and the "buildID64.txt" which is part of it. select this .txt file and CKAN will initialize itself for this KSP install. It will also ask you if you want to be notified if an update is available and something else I forgot about. It's not that difficult, you'll see :)

4) now you should see the CKAN user interface, which allows you to search for mods which are compatible with your game and install them with just a few clicks. So search for "bdarmory" in the "filter by mod name" field, put a check mark in the "install" box and hit "apply changes" to install the mod.

TinuAIq.png

CKAN will now download and install the mod and it's dependencies (in this case physics range extender) for you. You may get ask if you want to install some more mods which are suggested by the mod creator to use in combination with his mod, it's up to you if you want to pick any of these.

In case I forgot anything specifically for you, some time ago I wrote this tutorial on mod installation which includes a part about CKAN as well:

Of course, if you still have any questions or struggle at some point of instructions so far, don't hesitate to ask, we will be happy to help you :)

When I click on this link, it just brings me back here

Windows will simply not run the file. It will not allow it. There is no option to ignore the risk.

5 hours ago, Bruhmoment said:

Windows will simply not run the file. It will not allow it. There is no option to ignore the risk.

Sorry, I forgot that this option is kinda hidden. When the warning pops up, you have to click on "more info", then you can allow it to run anyway :)

5 hours ago, Bruhmoment said:

When I click on this link, it just brings me back here

Which link, the one to CKAN or the one to my tutorial? The first one is a direct download link and should just start the download of CKAN, not redirect you somewhere else and the latter one would be weird but you can always find it fairly easy on your own since it is pinned in the "Addon DIscussion" section of the forum :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.