Kerbin Launch Alliance: the space program with the overused name

KLA_logo.png

KERBIN LAUNCH ALLIANCE
Kerbin's Most Predictably Named Space AgencyTM

Welcome to the world's most predictably named mission report! After burning out on KSP several times, and having played about two hours over a six-month period, I began to think 'Well, what if the only reason that I keep burning out is because I keep setting ridiculously high goals?'
Thus; the KLA came to be. Born completely out of exasperation and mild disinterest, I decided to create a sandbox mission report where I meander along at my own pace, achieving very little and filling up my hard drive with awful screenshots taken accidentally six times from the same angle.
Enjoy!

This playthrough runs in a mostly stock 1.3.1 install with a few visual mods. (1.3.1 FTW!)

Kea- satellite communication systems that are of no use to anyone

Spoiler

On an otherwise completely uninteresting day at the newly downsized Space Center, some moron barged into Mission Control.
"I've got you boys a contract! Two satellites, in 1000km orbits! 120,000 funds if you do it right!"

At a complete loss for anything to do, the good but extremely bored Kerbals of the KSC agreed, and hastily set to work rolling out some Quintus-family launchers.
Quintus_I_family.png

The Quintus IB, with its tiny little Fizz-M upper stage, was chosen to fire the Kea 1 into the required orbit.
front_Untitled_Space_Craft_11.png?width=

The next day (boy time goes by when you're constructing an orbital communications satellite) the Kea 1 and its pitiful launcher were nominal and ready for liftoff.
Screenshot_423.png?width=1194&height=671

With an anaemic puff from the old LV-T45 engine, Kea 1 spluttered off the pad and into the air- the Space Center's first launch in over a decade.
Screenshot_424.png?width=1194&height=671

Some sort of extended microscopic camera took this photo of the Quintus IB's booster stage separating at 38km altitude.

Screenshot_425.png?width=1194&height=671

A lovely shot of the upperstage accelerating away, with the Mun plainly visible against the inky black backdrop of the endless void.
Screenshot_426.png?width=1194&height=671

The fairing was released at 73km, exposing Kea 1 to space just over two minutes prior to orbital insertion.
Screenshot_428.png?width=1194&height=671

The final orbit of Kea 1:
Screenshot_432.png?width=1194&height=671

Kea 1 pointed radially inwards, like all the cool satellites do in the movies  to enable best coverage of Kerbin. Also observing Kerbin's terminator line at apoapsis with the Mun hovering silently in the background.
Screenshot_433.png?width=1194&height=671

Without further ado (and without boring the audience) here are a few shots from Kea 2, which did the exact same thing and is therefore not interesting enough to get any sort of recognition:

Screenshot_434.png?width=1194&height=671

Screenshot_435.png?width=1194&height=671

Screenshot_436.png?width=1194&height=671

A nice Blue Marble photo, which was immediately monetised by the greedy kerbals on the Advisory Board:
Screenshot_437.png?width=1194&height=671

And with that, the entirely forgettable and financially motivated Kea satellite program comes to an end.

Comet- I told you putting a rocket on a plane was a bad idea

Spoiler

Instead of using rocket propelled capsules for manned missions like every other sane space program, the idiots in the Research and Development department, after modifying a small business jet with a rocketry based fuel, decided to launch a hastily modified spaceplane into orbit instead.They dubbed this 48-7S powered mishap 'the Comet.'
front_Comet_1.png?width=1443&height=587

front_Comet_2.png?width=1443&height=630

front_Comet_3.png?width=1443&height=586

Needless to say, it was a stupid idea. So evidently the obvious choice was to rig an unmanned prototype up to a test stand booster, to test the Comet's glide ability and mid-air response times.

Screenshot_443.png?width=1194&height=671

Released from the test booster at about 200m/s, 5.5km up:
Screenshot_444.png?width=1194&height=671

Mission Control wished the probe would stop showing off so much: doing a loop-the-loop wasn't strictly part of the flight plan.
Screenshot_445.png?width=1194&height=671

Hair raising moment as the Comet came down on an off-center approach.
Screenshot_446.png?width=1194&height=671

Nice easy touchdown. The Comet needs to make one more test, a suborbital launch and return, before it is rated for kerballed spaceflight.
Screenshot_447.png?width=1194&height=671

Edited by SiriusRocketry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.