ApkSyYt.png

JrrwZr6.png?1
Thread of the Month May 2020

This is a challenge designed for all players - whether new or experienced. The premise is simple: get a Kerbal into Kerbin orbit and back again safely, for less than:funds:5,000. Those that succeed will earn the humble 'Kerbin Crescent' medallion, and pass-out of Orbit Boot Camp. You'll get your name on the Honour Roll, and can use the Orbit Boot Camp badge in your signature.

Particular hotshots can earn additional adornments to their medallion. Some are unique - so only one player can hold them at a time. Others can be collected to challenge yourself to obtain as many as possible in a single mission. Whether you're feeling competitive, or just want to test your skills, it's easy to get involved.

To participate, simply provide a report of your mission. Videos or screenshots are preferable, but I'll take your word for it. Record the total cost of your mission, and any additional goals you are trying to accomplish.

Signature badge

bmzRRDr.png

Rules

• The entire mission must cost no more than :funds:5,000
  • Parts up to a total value of :funds:5,000 can be recovered, and subtracted from the total cost of your mission1
  • Kerbals must survive the mission and be recovered in their pod2
  • Vehicle can be launched from either the runway or the launchpad
  • All parts must be stock, and no performance enhancing mods may be used
  • Part clipping, or other exploits deemed not within the spirit of the challenge, are not permitted

1This essentially means you have a total budget of 10,000, so long as you recover at least half of it.
2EAS-1 External Command Chair does not count as a pod for this rule.

The Kerbin Crescent and Adornments

Spoiler

4smcy5C.png

The Kerbin Crescent, fully adorned.

Unique Adornments

• Ruby Star - Lowest launch cost - Currently held by: bayesian_acolyte - :funds:1,578
  • Sapphire Cluster - Lowest mission cost (after recovery) - Currently held by: bayesian_acolyte - :funds:141
  • Diamond Wings - Heaviest Payload Delivered* - Currently held by: bayesian_acolyte - 5.5t
  • Opal Festoon  - Highest dV remaining when in orbit - Currently held by: bayesian_acolyte - 4,183 m/s

*Payload must be unmanned, have a probe core, antenna and power source.

Additional Adornments

• 1st Class Insignia - Achieve at least 5 additional adornments (ribbons do not count)
  • Zircon Chevron - Launch cost less than :funds:5,000
  • Silver Claw - Perform a science experiment (Crew / EVA report does not count)
             - Meteorologist Ribbon for taking a pressure reading
             - Kelvin Ribbon for taking a temperature reading
             - Lab Technician Ribbon for using the materials bay
             - Observational Ribbon for observing the Goo Canister
  • Pearl Escutcheon for obtaining all Silver Claw ribbons in a single mission  
  • Amber Leaves - 10 parts or less
  • Onyx Eyes - Tech level 4 or below
  • Crossed Swords - Land within a KSC biome
  • Vermilion Heart - Take more than one Kerbal
  • Cobalt Stripe - Deliver a payload into orbit as part of your mission*

*Payload must be unmanned, have a probe core, antenna and power source.

1st Class Register
The following have earned the 1st Class Insignia, by adorning their Kerbin Crescent with at least 5 additional adornments in a single mission.

16.04.20: @Superfluous J with 'El Cheapo 2': Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw, Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart.
17.04.20: @BallistX with 'StarCharter Pressure': Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw, Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Crossed Swords.
19.04.20: @TheFlyingKerman with 'R-4 LKO Tour Bus': Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw, Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart.
21.04.20: @mystifeid with 'Bootcamp Duo': Silver Claw, 
Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes, Crossed Swords, Vermilion Heart
27.04.20: @CBase with 'BootScience':
Silver Claw, Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes, Crossed Swords, Vermilion Heart
02.05.20: @Space Nerd with 'KSS "Bootcamper" Mk3':
Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw, Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart.
17.05.20: @AHHans with 'Boot'
Silver Claw, Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart, Cobalt Stripe
10.06.20: @GRS with 'Something Long and Hard': Silver Claw, Pearl Escutcheon, Crossed Swords, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart.
11.06.20: @Venturer2Space with 'Flyer 3': Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw, Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart.

Honour Roll
The following have passed out of Orbit Boot Camp, and have earned the Kerbin Crescent. Adornments are also listed. Cost is after recovery.

08.04.20: @Smokey the Bear with 'Rusty Bucket' - costing :funds:4,900. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes. Claimed Sapphire Cluster and Gold Florettes.
08.04.20: @mabdi36 with 'Upsilon' - costing :funds:3992. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes. Claimed Sapphire Cluster and Gold Florettes.
10.04.20:             also with 'Phi' - costing
:funds:3,484. Adorned with Amber Leaves and Silver Claw (K-Ribbon).
08.04.20: @Pro100kerbonaut with 'Unnamed Rocket' - costing :funds:2,907. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron. Claimed Sapphire Cluster.
08.04.20: @TheFlyingKerman with 'Arrowfish 1' - costing :funds:1,943. Awarded Kerbin Crescent. Claimed Sapphire Cluster.
10.04.20:                           also with 'Arrowfish 2' - costing :funds:760. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
11.04.20:                           also with 'Arrowfish 3' - costing :funds:538. Adorned with Zircon Chevron. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
13.04.20:                           also with 'Arrowfish 4' - costing :funds:217. Adorned with Crossed Swords. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
19.04.20:                           also with 'Arrowfish 6' - costing :funds:144. Adorned with Crossed Swords. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
19.04.20:                           also with 'R-4 LKO Tour Bus' costing :funds:4,950. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (O-Ribbon), Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart and 1st Class Insignia.
20.04.20:                           also with 'Slowfish 1' costing :funds:4,004. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes. Claimed Gold Florettes.
21.04.20:                           also with 'Slowfish 2' costing :funds:4,592. Adorned with Zircon Chevron. Reclaimed Gold Florettes.
10.04.20: @mystifeid with 'Bootcamp' - costing :funds:1,222. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon), Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes and Crossed Swords. Claimed Sapphire Cluster and Gold Florettes.
10.04.20:              also with 'Bootcamp 2' - costing :funds:733. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
12.04.20:              also with 'Guzzler' - costing :funds:294. Adorned with Amber Leaves and Crossed Swords. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
12.04.20:              also with 'RUsureaboutthis' - costing :funds:4,525. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, and Crossed Swords. Reclaimed Gold Florettes.
14.04.20:              also with 'Flipper' - costing :funds:2,450. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes. Claimed Ruby Star.
20.04.20:              also with 'RUsureaboutthis 2' - costing :funds:4,806. Adorned with Amber Leaves. Reclaimed Gold Florettes.
20.04.20:              also with 'RUsureaboutthis 3' - costing :funds:4,239. Adorned with Amber Leaves. Reclaimed Gold Florettes.
21.04.20:              also with 'Bootcamp Duo' - costing :funds:4,342. Adorned with 
Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon, L-Ribbon, O-Ribbon), Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes, Crossed Swords, Vermilion Heart and 1st class Insignia.
21.04.20:              also with 'RUSureaboutthis 4' - costing :funds:4,590. Reclaimed Gold Florettes

10.04.20: @ralanboyle with 'Cheap Mk3' - costing :funds:1,131 Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Crossed Swords.
12.04.20:                also with 'Cheap Poodle' - costing :funds:899. Adorned with Zircon Chevron.
10.04.20: @Klapaucius with 'Jack Benny Rocket' - costing :funds:3113. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron.
14.04.20:                 also with 'Gracie' - costing :funds:1,091. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes.
14.04.20:                 also with 'Genji' - costing :funds:2,635. Adorned with Zircon Chevron.
17.04.20:                 also with 'George Burns Rocket' - costing :funds:4734. Adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon, O-Ribbon) and Vermilion Heart.
21.04.20:                 also with 'Budget Satellite' - costing :funds:3,610. Adorned with Zircon Chevron and Cobalt Stripe.

11.04.20: @Space Nerd with 'KSS "Bootcamper"' - costing :funds:3,508. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon, O-Ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes.
02.05.20:                  also with 'KSS "Bootcamper" Mk3' - costing :funds:3,691. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (K-Ribbon), Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart and 1st Class Insignia.
11.04.20: @C1arl with 'Screecher' - costing :funds:999. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Amber Leaves.
13.04.20:       also with 'Burning Flare' - costing :funds:3,849. Adorned with Zircon Chevron.
11.04.20: @bayesian_acolyte with 'Little Rascal' - costing :funds:2,500. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes. Claimed Ruby Star and Gold Florettes.
12.04.20:                           also with: 'Nervous Energy' - costing :funds:328. Adorned with Crossed Swords. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
12.04.20:                           also with: 'Nervous Energy 2' - costing :funds:225. Adorned with Crossed Swords. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
13.04.20:                           also with: 'Spirit of Talkeetna' - costing :funds:3,437. Reclaimed Gold Florettes.
13.04.20:                           also with: 'Nervous Energy 3' - costing :funds:150. Adorned with Crossed Swords. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
14.04.20:                           also with 'Little Rascal 2' - costing :funds:1,540. Adorned with Zircon Chevron and Amber Leaves. Reclaimed Ruby Star.
18.04.20:                           also with 'Little Rascal 3' - costing :funds:1,168. Adorned with Zircon Chevron and Amber Leaves. Reclaimed Ruby Star.
20.04.20:                           also with 'Nervous Energy 4' - costing :funds:141. Adorned with Crossed Swords. Reclaimed Sapphire Cluster.
18.05.20:                           also with 'DeeVee mcDVface' - costing :funds:4,992. Adorned with Crossed Swords. Claimed Opal Festoon.
19.05.20:                           also with 'When Pigs Fly' - costing :funds:4,965. Adorned with Crossed Swords and Cobalt Stripe. Claimed Diamond Wings.
14.04.20: @Superfluous J with 'El Cheapo' - costing :funds:2,316. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (with M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon, O-Ribbon), Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, and Vermilion Heart.
16.04.20:                      also with 'El Cheapo 2' - costing 1,340. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (K-Ribbon), Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart, and 1st Class Insignia.
15.04.20: @BallistX with 'StarCharter Pressure' - costing :funds:4,812. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (M-Ribbon), Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes and Crossed Swords.
15.04.20:           also with 'StarCharter Thermo' - costing :funds:4,912. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (K-Ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes.
15.04.20:           also with 'StarCharter Goo' - costing :funds:4,812. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (O-Ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes.
16.04.20:           also with 'StarCharter Materials' - costing :funds:4,962. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (L-Ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes.
16.04.20:           also with 'StarCharter Plus' - costing :funds:4,892. Adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon, L-Ribbon, O-Ribbon), 
Pearl Escutcheon and Onyx Eyes.
18.04.20:           also with 'StarCharter Heavy' - costing :funds:4,852. Adorned with Vermilion Heart.
05.05.20:           also with 'StarCharter Mun' - costing :funds:4,750. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes. Claimed Opal Festoon.
16.04.20: @ParkorePancake with '
Blast to the Stars' - costing :funds:4,772. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron and Onyx Eyes.
17.04.20: @Pds314 with 'Unnamed Rocket' - costing :funds:3,682. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron.
18.04.20: @sevenperforce with 'El Barato' - costing :funds:874. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron and Onyx Eyes. Claimed Ruby Star.
23.04.20: @CBase with 'Fatty I' - costing :funds:1,176. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (K-Ribbon) Amber Leaves and Crossed Swords. Claimed Opal Festoon.
27.04.20:         also with 'BootScience' - costing :funds:4,596. Adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon, L-Ribbon, O-Ribbon), Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes, Crossed Swords, Vermilion Heart and 1st Class Insignia.
10.05.20: @jshu with 'OrbitBootCamper' - costing :funds:4,942. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (K-Ribbon, M-Ribbon, O-Ribbon), Amber Leaves and Vermilion Heart.
11.05.20: @joshudson with 'Boot Camp' - costing :funds:4,948. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (K-ribbon), and Cobalt Stripe. Claimed Diamond Wings.
18.05.20:                also with 'Das Boot' - costing :funds:4,840. Adorned with Cobalt Stripe. Reclaimed Diamond Wings.
17.05.20: @AHHans with 'Boot' - costing :funds:4,876. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon, L-Ribbon, O-Ribbon),
Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart, Cobalt Stripe, and 1st Class Insignia.
17.05.20: @jinnantonix with 'Wobbly Boot' - costing :funds:4,989. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon), Crossed Swords and Cobalt Stripe. Claimed Diamond Wings.
18.05.20: @Hotel26 with 'Bare Medal' - costing :funds:4,637. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron and Onyx Eyes.
19.05.20: @Grogs with 'Flying Deathtrap' - costing :funds:4,717. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes.
28.05.20: @The Doodling Astronaut with 'James' - costing :funds:4,987. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (K-Ribbon), and Onyx Eyes.
09.06.20: @GRS with 'Something Long and Hard' - costing :funds:4,910. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (M-Ribbon, K-Ribbon, L-Ribbon, O-Ribbon) Pearl Escutcheon, Crossed Swords, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart, and 1st Class Insignia.
11.06.20: @Venturer2Space with 'Flyer 1' - costing :funds:3,150. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves, and Onyx Eyes.
11.06.20:                         also with 'Flyer 3' - costing :funds:4,768. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (M-Ribbon), Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart, and 1st Class Insignia.

09.07.20: @Keithv708 with 'I Think I Can V2' - costing :funds:4,999. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (K-Ribbon).
10.07.20: @Comte_Snek with 'Le Garbage' - costing :funds:4,942. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (M-Ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes.
10.07.20:                    also with 'Le Garbage 2' - costing :funds:4,820. Adorned with Vermilion Heart and Cobalt Stripe.
05.08.20: @krautfed1 with 'Orbit Boot Camp 1' - costing 822. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (K-Ribbon) and Amber Leaves. 
06.08.20:               also with 'Orbit Boot Camp 3.0' - costing 734. Adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw, Amber Leaves and Crossed Swords.
06.09.20: @Kerminator1000 with 'Cheapo' - costing
3,469. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes.
08.09.20: @Krazy1 with 'Full Throttle Science' - costing 2,838. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (K-Ribbon) and Amber Leaves.

11.09.20:          also with 'Goo for Two' - costing 4,916. Adorned with Silver Claw (O-Ribbon), Onyx Eyes and Vermilion Heart.

02.01.21: @Popestar with 'Hot Buttered Aspirin' - costing 4,366. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Onyx Eyes.
03.01.21: @InfernoSD with '6PartBoot' - costing 1,585. Awarded Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron and Amber Leaves.

also with 'tugboot' - costing 3,100. Adorned with Zircon Chevron and Vermillion Heart.

Edited by Chequers

10 minutes ago, KingDominoIII said:

Are SSTOs permitted? Your wording is a bit confusing- does your craft surviving the mission mean that staging and use of Kerbal parachutes are not allowed?

5000:funds: for an SSTO seems awfully small...

5 hours ago, KingDominoIII said:

Are SSTOs permitted? Your wording is a bit confusing- does your craft surviving the mission mean that staging and use of Kerbal parachutes are not allowed?

You're right, @KingDominoIII - the wording was confusing. It was to ensure that something of the craft could be recovered. Typically the command pod - rather than bailing out. I've amended it.

SSTOs are allowed, but...

4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

To that point -- @Chequers, are we allowed to recover the cost of the launch vehicle?

This isn't really in the spirit of the challenge, which is to get to orbit on a budget. Building an expensive SSTO, but recovering all the parts, isn't really the intention. I've added an additional rule:

'Parts up to a total value of :funds:5,000 can be recovered, and subtracted from the total cost of your mission'.

Meaning that you can effectively spend :funds:10,000, so long as you can recover at least half of it.

I welcome your thoughts. 

Edited by Chequers

Alright, so I did the challenge before the update of the rule criteria, so I just did it as an SSTO with chutes, as the wording was "All Kerbals and Craft must return". Call it being eco-friendly then, I suppose.

Anyways, here's my submission: the Rusty Bucket

b1DorwL.png

Mission Report Enclosed

Spoiler

tBqIBwl.png

qECR3yq.png

EnWvWpu.png

LuYHDBb.png

Congratulations @Smokey the Bearon passing out of Orbital Boot Camp in your ship 'Rusty Bucket', earning yourself the Kerbin Crescent, with Amber Eyes and Onyx Leaves, and being the first to hold the Sapphire Cluster and  Gold Florettes.

In light of the updated rules, if you could you let me know how much you were able to recover, I'll subtract it from the total cost of your mission. Also, what was the total dV of your craft at launch? 

Edited by Chequers

@Chequers

Atmo dV: 3149, I'll launch another mission (same craft) and grab the 'recovered cost' metric. I'll update this post with that info

EDIT: Ok I lied, apparently sandbox doesn't report recovered cash money? I'll just write it off as a loss, no biggie.

Edited by Smokey the Bear

10 minutes ago, Smokey the Bear said:

@Chequers

Atmo dV: 3149, I'll launch another mission (same craft) and grab the 'recovered cost' metric. I'll update this post with that info

EDIT: Ok I lied, apparently sandbox doesn't report recovered cash money? I'll just write it off as a loss, no biggie.

Well I'll update the honour role with you dV numbers. Thanks for taking part! 

Hello!

I have completed this challenge, after hours of thought (literally).

The vessel itself cost 5650, but i reobtained 1658, leaving me with 3992.

Moreover, the vessel is:

1. completely stock (i have mods, but I only used stock parts, such as restock (which only changes styling))

2. 9 parts only

3. completed a flyby of the mun

4. has a barometer (although I could have strapped a thermometer on as well, oh well)

5. some survived the launch.

The vessel is two stages, as shown in the album, but it has no decouples. This was achieved by setting the top tanks to have lower priority so that when the bottom tanks ran out, the terrier engine would blow the bottom fuel tanks away. However, i forgot to take images of the separation. As for the atmospheric delta v, that is somewhat difficult, as it does not have decouplers. However, the top stage has 930m/s of atmospheric delta v while the bottom stage, with the top fuel tank "blocked" has a delta v of 1346m/s. This gives a total atmo delta v of 1346 + 930 = 2276 m/s

https://imgur.com/a/TTBfssS

Edited by mabdi36

I can't get all parameters in a single launch, mostly because 4 science parts + the extra command pod for the 2nd Kerbal means I only have 5 more parts for the actual rocket. Having a command pod and a parachute leaves me with a scant 3 parts and I could only pare it down to 4 (tank, engine, decoupler, SRB).

My ascent profile is ghastly because my dV on the pad is so low. Less than 1700 Atmo :o

However, my 11-part, tech-4, 2-kerbal ship costs about $8000 and a perfect landing at KSC should recover enough for the total cost to be under $5000. If I can nail the landing that is.

I don't know when I'll be able to do it all but it'll be on video I bet.

Congratulations @mabdi36 on passing out of Orbital Boot Camp in your ship - does it have a name? Thank you for your screenshot mission report. You've earned yourself the Kerbin Crescent, with Silver Claw (holding meteorologist ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes, and you have claimed both the Sapphire Cluster and Gold Florettes. 

Special mention must be made for your Mun flyby. I have made a motion for an additional adornment for furthest distance with the Orbit Boot Camp committee. 

1 minute ago, Chequers said:

Congratulations @mabdi36 on passing out of Orbital Boot Camp in your ship - does it have a name? Thank you for your screenshot mission report. You've earned yourself the Kerbin Crescent, with Silver Claw (holding meteorologist ribbon), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes, and you have claimed both the Sapphire Cluster and Gold Florettes. 

Special mention must be made for your Mun flyby. I have made a motion for an additional adornment for furthest distance with the Orbit Boot Camp committee. 

Yeah, I called it Upsilon! It is a very unimaginative name because i was counting down the greek alphabet in my career save :)

Just now, mabdi36 said:

Yeah, I called it Upsilon! It is a very unimaginative name because i was counting down the greek alphabet in my career save :)

I've updated the Honour Role - thanks for taking part!

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I can't get all parameters in a single launch, mostly because 4 science parts + the extra command pod for the 2nd Kerbal means I only have 5 more parts for the actual rocket. Having a command pod and a parachute leaves me with a scant 3 parts and I could only pare it down to 4 (tank, engine, decoupler, SRB).

My ascent profile is ghastly because my dV on the pad is so low. Less than 1700 Atmo :o

However, my 11-part, tech-4, 2-kerbal ship costs about $8000 and a perfect landing at KSC should recover enough for the total cost to be under $5000. If I can nail the landing that is.

I don't know when I'll be able to do it all but it'll be on video I bet.

I look forward to seeing it! I'm not an experienced enough player to know if getting all parameters is impossible or not... if it is, I might rethink some of the parameters later down the track. 

My SSTO for 6943 funds. The empty ship costs 6300 funds. I landed it 3.9 km from the end of the runway (would you call that KSC?) and should get more than 5000 funds recovered, even though I broke one fuel tank when landing. So 1943 funds.

Spoiler

screenshot75.png

Lift off

screenshot76.png

Orbit

screenshot77.png

Re-entry

screenshot78.png

Fly back to KSC

screenshot79.png

Landed

Congratulations @Pro100kerbonaut on passing out of Orbit Boot Camp! Does your craft have a name? I was particularly impressed by the 'open air' cockpit, and powered landing. Thanks for recording your mission in a video - it was great to watch. You've earned yourself the Kerbin Crescent, and claim the Sapphire Cluster!

Edited by Chequers

Congratulations @TheFlyingKerman on passing out of Orbit Boot Camp! And well done for being the first to put forward a space plane - a very inventive way of maximising recovery of funds. Does your ship have a name for the Honour Roll?

I'll take your word for it that you would recover at least :funds:5,000. Unfortunately, your landing does not meet the requirements of landing at KSC (within a KSC biome) -  but you are more than welcome to demonstrate that you were able to, and add the Crossed Swords adornment. For now, you've earned yourself the Kerbin Crescent, and thanks to your impressive recovery of funds, claim the Sapphire Cluster.

Edited by Chequers

5 hours ago, Chequers said:

So when do i get my mun badge :P ;)

I still haven't looked at any other attempts at this challenge and may not yet because I might have another go at it. This seemed like a pretty obvious design choice. Please tell me if I have copied anyone and feel free to disqualify me. It took quite a few attempts to get this close a landing (and each attempt included a launch - there was no save scumming). Interesting that the crew report taken after landing says I'm in Kerbin Shores. Anyway, 98% recovery of the cost of the landed parts is not too shabby.

Name - Bootcamp (!)
Parts - 9
Science experiments performed - Temperature, Pressure
Max tech level - 4 (Terrier and Small Inline Reaction Wheel)
Atmo dV at 0m (VAB) - 1974
Atmo dV at 79m (Launchpad) - 1992
Launch cost - 5105
Recovered - 3883
Total cost - 1222

I have improved the SSTO using cheaper wings and fuel tanks, and also removed one parachute. It now costs 5760 wet and 5163 dry. I managed to land it back to the runway for 100% recovery (I played sandbox but you get 100% recovery anywhere on the runway). So total cost 760 funds.

screenshot90.png

screenshot91.png

Spoiler

Ready for launch

screenshot84.png

Liftoff

screenshot85.png

Orbit

screenshot86.png

Glide back to KSC

screenshot87.png

Parachute landing

screenshot88.png

Landed on runway

screenshot89.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.