1 hour ago, Space Nerd said:

The Mk2 costs almost 10000 funds, and the recoverable parts are about 5000 funds, so I don't think it will fulfill this challenge.

But I might still make it work, it's just it won't be first class anymore. (Which doesn't matter now, because I got into first class by Mk3)

If you can get the mission cost below 5,000 - then go for it! 

As you say, you're already on the 1st Class Register with the Mk3.

20 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Yeah, not so much. If you can recover 5k you can start with 10k but let's go with a launchpad cost of less than 5k. Without caring much about the ascent profile, a Terrier and two Thumpers easily makes it to a 83Mm/83Mm orbit with more than enough fuel to deorbit. Pretty sure I didn't need the heat shield either.

Touche.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:05 PM, BallistX said:

I finally got around to making and launching the Goo version of StarCharter, not much harder.

In the VAB. The Mystery Goo is even cheaper than the two others i did, but heavier.

Jeb on EVA Showing the emptied out Goo container.

But then… I had an idea I am pretty sure no one else thought about.

We are going to the Mun! Only a flyby of course, I could maybe land with 7500 to 10000 of final budget.

Setting up the Maneuver I had enough Delta-V thanks to the increased size of the lifter stage, in budget due to removing the Science experiment StarCharter can take up to orbit.

Free return trajectory Not necessary, StarCharter Mun could easily come back, but it reduces re-entry speed.

Mun Flyby For less than 5000 funds, sounds like quite an achievement to me!

Harsh Re-Entry It was at much higher speed despite me using all the fuel in the transfer stage to slow down, so I put an heat shield with 20 ablator, the lowest amount available.

Splashdown While the Re-Entry was quite intense, the Heat Shield only lost a bit more than 9 of the 20 ablator units it had.

Well this is it, my special contribution to this fun little challenge.

@ChequersI would like to resubmit StarCharter Mun to take the Opal Festoon, as it has 1359m/s of Delta V once in orbit, i have also took a few screenshots of another mission in case a fastest time to orbit unique ornament is added

1 hour ago, BallistX said:

@ChequersI would like to resubmit StarCharter Mun to take the Opal Festoon, as it has 1359m/s of Delta V once in orbit, i have also took a few screenshots of another mission in case a fastest time to orbit unique ornament is added

Congratulations, @BallistX on resubmitting StarCharter Mun, which does indeed claim the Opal Festoon for highest Delta V once in orbit; which I can see from the screenshot, 'Setting up the Manoeuvre' in your mission report. The honorary list of unique adornments has been updated with your name; and I have also updated your entry on the Honour Roll - what was the final cost of the mission?

Edited by Chequers

15 hours ago, Chequers said:

Congratulations, @BallistX on resubmitting StarCharter Mun, which does indeed claim the Opal Festoon for highest Delta V once in orbit; which I can see from the screenshot, 'Setting up the Manoeuvre' in your mission report. The honorary list of unique adornments has been updated with your name; and I have also updated your entry on the Honour Roll - what was the final cost of the mission?

@Chequers i would say the final cost was about 4750 with how far i lander from the KSC

I'm working on a submission with payload in orbit. I'm not sure how to count mass of payload in orbit because I can't afford the decoupler to separate it from the booster. Previous attempts have left the tank about 1/6th full so the payload in orbit's got the ability to maneuver.

23 hours ago, joshudson said:

I'm working on a submission with payload in orbit. I'm not sure how to count mass of payload in orbit because I can't afford the decoupler to separate it from the booster. Previous attempts have left the tank about 1/6th full so the payload in orbit's got the ability to maneuver.

Great to hear @joshudson - I'm looking forward to seeing it! You can take the mass of the payload from the VAB. The payload simply has to have an antenna, power and a probe core: it doesn't have to have the ability to perform any burns or have any fuel.

This one seemed like a good candidate for my very first challenge submission, so I decided to take part and submit an entry:

Craft Stats:
- Name: OrbitBootCamper
- Parts: 10
- Crew seats: 2
- Launch cost: :funds:9,942

No mods were used, but several parts from the Making History DLC. Parts with a total value of :funds:8,498 were recovered, leading to a total mission cost of :funds:1,444.

If I understood the rules correctly, this should earn the following additional adornments:

• Silver Claw: Perform a science experiment (with Meteorologist Ribbon, Kelvin Ribbon and Observational Ribbon)
  • Amber Leaves: 10 parts or less
  • Vermilion Heart: Take more than one Kerbal

Thanks for this beginner-friendly challenge @Chequers! Please tell me if I did anything wrong.

Congratulations, @jshu, on your entry, with 'OrbitBootCamper.' Thank you for taking the time to upload a video mission report - it was great to watch your approach - you weren't too far from the KSC, either! Particular thanks for choosing Orbit Boot Camp to be your first challenge, too.

Your entry was perfectly legitimate, although you are only able to recover :funds:5,000 in parts. Nevertheless, this brings your total mission cost to :funds:4,942 - which makes this a successful entry.

Therefore, you successfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp, and are awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (with Kelvin and Observational Ribbons), Amber Leaves and Vermilion Heart. Your name and vessel will be recorded on the prestigious Honour Roll, and you are welcome to display the Orbit Boot Camp patch in your signature. 

Well done! And please do feel free to submit further entries if you would like to.

My submission: https://imgur.com/a/96a6Sw4

I did the whole thing in sandbox; and found it was quite saveload heavy both on launch (only abut 1 in 20 launches of this thing actually make orbit) and reentry (to get close to KSC on so little amount of fuel). Assuming the island with the old airport is close enough for 80% funds recovery, I just barely squeak in under √F5000. The launch cost is √F6165 and I'm claiming √F1217 recovered (sandbox so it won't actually say) so the mission cost is √F4948.

After action report:

Valentina found the craft highly unstable between 5000m and 12000m altitude and was forced to burn the nose rockets at 100% power most of the time rather than the planned 25% power. This resulted in the available delta V being much lower than planned, resulting in just squeaking into a 72,369x70,782 orbit with the main tank already empty and the nose tank with about one-third of its fuel remaining. After priming the payload and observing the science package was working correctly, Valentina waited in orbit for Mission Control to complete simulations (read: saveload spam) to determine at which point the remaining fuel should be used to land near the recovery facilities. Reentry and splashdown was uneventful but Valentina still finds halo-jumping from orbit nerverwracking.

Bonus: the craft has a plausible launch-abort system, although it can't be controlled by a single key.

Edited by joshudson

Congratulations, @joshudson on your entry, and for your detailed mission report and screenshots. The OBC committee appreciate perseverance, so well done on pushing through to get your vessel into orbit and back again. Your recovery cost estimate seems entirely reasonable.

You successfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp, and are awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (with Kelvin Ribbon) and Cobalt Stripe. Particular congratulations on being the first to claim the Diamond Wings, for delivering a payload into orbit! you are welcome to display the Orbit Boot Camp patch in your signature if you wish.

Did your vessel have a name? I see it named as 'Boot Camp' in the VAB, but is this a placeholder? It will be recorded alongside your name on the Honour Roll. A hearty round of applause for your achievement - do feel free to submit further entries if you wish to earn further adornments.

Edited by Chequers

12 hours ago, Chequers said:

Thank you for taking the time to upload a video mission report - it was great to watch your approach - you weren't too far from the KSC, either!

Thanks a lot!

Your entry was perfectly legitimate, although you are only able to recover :funds:5,000 in parts. Nevertheless, this brings your total mission cost to :funds:4,942 - which makes this a successful entry.

Sorry, somehow forgot this rule when writing the mission report...

adorned with Silver Claw (with Kelvin and Observational Ribbons)

Not trying to be nitpicking here, but I think that it earns the Meteorologist Ribbon as well, doesn't it? ;)

9 hours ago, jshu said:

Not trying to be nitpicking here, but I think that it earns the Meteorologist Ribbon as well, doesn't it? ;)

Gracious! You’re absolutely correct - I’ve updated the record. Apologies for missing that.

@Chequers: The lowest tech-level part that is usually considered a power source is the OX-STAT at tech level 5. So it is impossible to get both the Cobalt Stripe and the Onyx Eyes in the same mission. Is that intentional? Or are you willing to relax the rules somewhat, e.g. by allowing a large enough battery capacity for the satellite, or the solar panels for the Onyx Eyes?

[Edit:] And while I'm asking stupid questions: is it allowed to bring the second Kerbal in a lawn chair for the Vermilion Heart?

Edited by AHHans

8 hours ago, AHHans said:

@Chequers: The lowest tech-level part that is usually considered a power source is the OX-STAT at tech level 5. So it is impossible to get both the Cobalt Stripe and the Onyx Eyes in the same mission. Is that intentional? Or are you willing to relax the rules somewhat, e.g. by allowing a large enough battery capacity for the satellite, or the solar panels for the Onyx Eyes?

[Edit:] And while I'm asking stupid questions: is it allows to bring the second Kerbal in a lawn chair for the Vermilion Heart?

Hi @AHHans. The payload must have a power source - but it doesn't have to generate its own power. E.g. a Z-100 battery would be sufficient to fulfil the 'power source' requirement. 

Regarding the Vermilion Heart, all Kerbals must be recovered in their pods - which doesn't count the Command Chair. They can land separately, or in the same pod.

8 hours ago, Chequers said:

Hi @AHHans. The payload must have a power source - but it doesn't have to generate its own power. E.g. a Z-100 battery would be sufficient to fulfil the 'power source' requirement.

O.K. Batt-Man it is.;)

8 hours ago, Chequers said:

Regarding the Vermilion Heart, all Kerbals must be recovered in their pods - which doesn't count the Command Chair. They can land separately, or in the same pod.

So no strapping a chair to the top of a Mk1 command pod and getting the Vermilion Heart that way.:cool:

Here is my simple SSTO rocket for delivering payload to orbit, then return to KSC.

Craft Stats:
- Name: Wobbly Boot
- Launch cost: :funds:9,739.  - Recovery Cost::funds:4,750 . Total Cost::funds:4,989
- Science collected:  Pressure, temperature
- Payload to orbit: 
0.345 tons.  Includes HECS probe core with antenna and solar panels.

wZvVxEu.png

J4LdyMj.png

Edited by jinnantonix

Thanks for submitting an entry, @jinnantonix - while it is a valid (and impressive) entry, it appears you have used a performance assisting mod to help you land, which is against the rules.

If you are able to demonstrate that you're able to complete the flight (your word is good enough) without using the mod, then I'd be more than happy to proceed with the honours! 

If I am incorrect about how this mod has been used (I don't use mods, so I'm not an expert on what they look like in practice), then please let me know!

Edited by Chequers

1 hour ago, Chequers said:

Thanks for submitting an entry, @jinnantonix - while it is a valid (and impressive) entry, it appears you have used a performance assisting mod to help you land, which is against the rules.

If you are able to demonstrate that you're able to complete the flight (your word is good enough) without using the mod, then I'd be more than happy to proceed with the honours! 

If I am incorrect about how this mod has been used (I don't use mods, so I'm not an expert on what they look like in practice), then please let me know!

I did not interpret "performance enhancing mod" to include Mechjeb landing guidance.  I thought you were referring to part mods.   The silly thing is that the Wobbly Boot can land at 15m/s no problem, and doesn't need landing guidance.  But OK, I hear ya now, and will do again without MJ.

Edit @Chequers I was able to jump back to the quicksave prior, and executed the landing again without MJ guidance. 

Updated video:

Edited by jinnantonix

So here is my contribution, but first a word from our sponsors:

Crikey! Who knew that the 0.625m decoupler was tech-level 6? Is it really that hard to make those explosive bolts a bit smaller?!?

So here it is, the Boot - notice the stylish neck ring between the stayputnik and the MK1 pod:
gBA4Htw.png

So Valentina takes it out for a spin, asking comrade Bill to join her.
Ix2zmNr.png

The - lets call them special - aerodynamic properties of the craft require a rather steep ascent trajectory in order to get out of the thicker parts of the atmosphere as fast as possible.

Spoiler

sfbDu0z.png
9UUuliq.png

But it is nothing that Valentina cannot handle, so they make it into orbit with dV to spare.
9tcYeej.png

Time to run the experiments and deploy the satellite:

Spoiler

c1V4Bfg.png

VlTFq3m.png

After waiting for daylight at the KSC it is time to deorbit. During max-q of the aerobraking Val runs the engine again for local attitude readjustment to keep the unstable craft from spinning.

Spoiler

Z4ra8VG.png

S7GaPfB.png
Once the danger of material (bay) failure due to overheating is over Val allows the craft to flip over and fly sideways. But soon the parachute opens and with a quick burst of thrust with the last fuel reserves the craft comes to a safe landing.
jExITQ4.png

Spoiler

u2LdPWj.png
QKQYUSe.png

Recovery nets :funds:6678 and 4 successful experiments.

Spoiler

yUd32M7.png
LmiHFsj.png

Val and Bill hope that this qualifies them for 1st Class Insignia with Silver Claw, Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart, and Cobalt Stripe. The effective cost of this craft was :funds:9876 - :funds:5000 = :funds:4876.

[Edit:] P.S. The full imgur album is here: https://imgur.com/a/wU7GU2r

Edited by AHHans

Congratulations, @AHHans on your entry, 'Boot' - which, as the OBC committee suggests, is one of the most stylish entries we have received due to that decidedly oversized decoupler. Thank you for submitting a detailed screenshot mission report detailing your flight - and particularly well done for deploying a satellite as part of your mission, and for not forcing Bill or Val to draw straws on who would have to sit in an external seat, by adding a second command pod.

You are hereby awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (with full ribbon complement), Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes, Vermilion Heart, and Cobalt Stripe. For obtaining five adornments in a single mission, you are awarded the 1st Class Insignia. As well as being entered on the Honour Roll, your name and vessel will be recorded on the 1st Class Register.

You are also entitled to use the OBC Signature Badge if you wish. Well done!

Edited by Chequers

41 minutes ago, Chequers said:

which, as the OBC committee suggests, is one of the most stylish entries we have received due to that decidedly oversized decoupler.

Thanks. In addition to being an adornment and its qualities as a sail, it was good for 24 m/s or so on the satellite.

45 minutes ago, Chequers said:

and for not forcing Bill or Val to draw straws on who would have to sit in an external seat,

Well, that was never my plan. I just noticed a potential loophole in the rules and decided to ask.

Congratulations, @jinnantonix on your entry, and thank you for taking the trouble to demonstrate your ability to complete the mission without mod assistance: while the OBC committee would have taken your word for it, video evidence leaves no doubt! Now, onto the honours.You successfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp with your vessel, 'Wobbly Boot', and are hereby awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (with Meteorologist and Kelvin Ribbons) Crossed Swords, and Cobalt Stripe. As you have delivered the heaviest payload into orbit, particular congratulations are in order as you have claimed the unique adornment of Diamond Wings. 

Your name and vessel will be entered onto the Honour Roll, and you may use the OBC Signature Badge if you wish to. Well done!

Edited by Chequers

I humbly submit Bare Medal, having skimmed the rules and I'm hoping to pass out of Boot Camp, clutching a medal and further hoping to earn the "Lackluster Ribbon for Laconic Lackadaisical Achievement or Lack Thereof", if you have such an adornment.

Don't know how to add up the cost, so I submitted it to KerbalX and it said, 3,837 kerbucks(?)...  Hold the phone!!  The VAB shot shows a total cost of 4,637 ker$... Blimey, the rotten swindlers.

Two Hammers followed by a Flea and a Terrier.  It's a pulse jet which means you burn-and-coast, burn-and-coast, to shape the ascent,  KER says 3.4 km/s on the pad, so how could you stuff it up?  [Nevertheless, the eagle-eyed will note that Ribfred had only 3.23 kals LF left at apoapsis, the ass.]

Returned to Kerbin with a Mk16 chute, Mk1 pod and a TD-12 coupler...

Kount Ribfred von Kerman piloting and surviving and I humbly submit the following photographic evidence (such as it is):

gI1PSTg.png   wPBVEiA.png

vwasjAv.png   2PAgO3c.png

My Mum is going to be very proud of me!!!  Fingers crossed...

Yours truly,
h6

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.