Dear @Hotel26's Mum,

You are going to be very proud of him. We are delighted to report that - while humble in his mission report - he has handily demonstrated the ability, skill and fortitude to successfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp in his vessel, 'Bare Metal'.

h6, thank you for your screenshot mission report. We've noted the discrepency in the VAB cost and have concluded that KerbalX must not include goods tax. Regardless, you are hereby awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with the highly regarded Zircon Chevron, and the eyebrow-raise worthy Onyx Eyes. Your name and vessel shall be recorded on the Honour Roll, and you are welcome to display the OBC Signature Badge if you choose to. Well done!

Edited by Chequers

I have momentarily reclaimed the Diamond Wings. I'm pretty sure somebody's going to figure out how to take it from me, but for now I hold it with just over 1.8t including fuel for the probe's engine. Anybody who wants the Diamond Wings will actually have to work for them. √F5967 was spent so I need 85% recovery to come in under √F5000. I landed on the KSC peninsula so there's no question of getting 85%. I'm about 8km away so I should get 97% or √F1127 back bringing the mission cost to √F4840

https://imgur.com/a/umqxTiH

Incidentally the payload has 1987m/s of usable DeltaV.

Edited by joshudson

@bayesian_acolyte, we're always delighted to see another entry from you! Well done on your latest, wonderfully named, 'DeeVee mcDVface', which squeaks in at just under the required mission cost at :funds:4,992. Thank you for your screenshot mission report, detailing your interesting design to maintain a lot of 'oomph' once you'd achieved orbit.

Importantly, alongside the Crossed Swords, you claim the unique 'Opal Festoon' for achieving the highest dV remaining whilst in orbit. Congratulations! 

@joshudson, well done on your latest entry, 'Das Boot', and for laying down an impressive marker for heaviest payload in orbit. Thank you for your screenshot mission report - we're a particular fan of the 'double thumper' approach you've used, and acknowledge the bravery of the Kerbal that would volunteer to sit at the top of that volatile stack. Your latest entry earns you the Cobalt Stripe, and reclaims the Diamond Wings. Congratulations! 

2 hours ago, Chequers said:

'Bare Metal'.

She's very pleased!

Just a small correction to your kind confirmation: vessel name is "Bare Medal".  (Thank you so much, Chequers, for running this fun competition; I'll display the medal with pleasure!)

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

She's very pleased!

Just a small correction to your kind confirmation: vessel name is "Bare Medal".  (Thank you so much, Chequers, for running this fun competition; I'll display the medal with pleasure!)

Ah! My apologies, friend. I've updated the Honour Roll. And my pleasure, thanks for taking part!

This looked fun so I decided to take it on. I just happened to have a science save where I had just the level 4 tech tree completed (minus flight) so I used that.

Ship: Flying Deathtrap

Funds: 4,717

Mass: 10.3t

9 parts: Thumper, Terrier, FL-T200 tank, 2 decouplers, capsule, parachute, thermostat, barometer

aSzsl9K.jpg

Here's the Flying Deathtrap in the VAB.

Spoiler

O5ktmHh.jpg

Despite the name, it really wasn't a deathtrap at all. I was surprised by how well it flew considering no gimbal or fins. Once I hit about 600 m/s I couldn't move it off prograde anymore though. I guess the reaction wheel in the capsule just couldn't overcome the drag anymore. I was at 45 degrees by then though, so I let it ride prograde until the engine cut out.

Spoiler

3uSqLNZ.jpg

I screwed up the staging and coasted several seconds on the second stage before I realized I hadn't staged the engine. With all the heating effects I couldn't tell. Luckily, I had spare DV and burned to a prograde of 100 km.

Spoiler

Loe0MBk.jpg

Final circular orbit at ~ 100 km

Spoiler

UzGYVtA.jpg

Since I didn't have much DV left in orbit, I had to do a shallow re-entry from the back side of the planet. Plus KSP was on the dark side. I aimed for it, but I missed really badly and landed just off the desert continent. I nearly fried the instruments in re-entry, but they just squeaked by.

Spoiler

vx1IYaB.jpg

Splashdown

Spoiler

Yj92yuB.jpg

Final science report

Another leader board topping entry, @bayesian_acolyte, with 'When Pigs Fly' - a very clever, and might I add, 'artistic' way of claiming the Diamond Wings. Thank you for such a creative entry, and for your screenshot mission report. This entry earns you the Cobalt Stripe, Crossed Swords, and as mentioned, claims the Diamond Wings for heaviest payload delivered into orbit. 

---

Congratulations, @Grogs  on your entry. You successfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp with your vessel, 'Flying Deathtrap' - and thank you for your detailed mission report and screenshots. A good effort on trying to land back at KSC. You are awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (with Meteorologist and Kelvin Ribbons), Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes. 

Your name and vessel will be recorded on the Honour Roll, and you may use the Orbit Boot Camp signature badge if you wish to. Well done!

Nice challenge @Chequers

EDIT: I guess we might as well name this rocket. JAMES! Sure why not, this rocket is called 'James'!

Landing had glitched in editor. Here is RAW!

Spoiler

Edited by Guest

Congratulations, @The Doodling Astronaut on your entry, 'James'. And for taking the time to put together a well edited video documenting your mission - it was a joy to watch. You successfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp, and are hereby awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (with Kelvin Ribbon), and Onyx Eyes.

Your name and vessel will be recorded on the Honour Roll, and you are welcome to use the OBC Signature Patch if you wish to. Enjoy the smattering of applause and nods of approval from the OBC executive committee - well done!

Edited by Chequers

On 5/31/2020 at 12:14 PM, Space Nerd said:

Is clipping I-beams to save space ok?

edit: even with this trick my rocket fails to have enough dv while keeping the cost low enough, so my rocket doesn't use this trick now.

Part clipping isn't allowed as a pretty much blanket rule, as it can be hard to find a fair way to draw the line. I'd be happy to look at any designs that you submit, to see whether the part-clipping in question confers an unfair advantage over your fellow boot-campers!

@GRS, our best wishes and good-lucks go out to you in your attempt!

@Keithv708, thank you for submitting your entry, 'I think I can'. Looking at the cost of the ship in the VAB, and the amount of :funds: you recovered in parts, it doesn't look like you've managed to complete the mission for under :funds:5,000. Please let me know if I've missed something! 

Edited by Chequers

Thanks...aiming for 1st Class Insignia now...i can probably get Silver Claw, Pearl, Vermillion Heart, Onyx Tech and Crossed Swords, hopefully...Science Equipments kept going Boom...

Edited by GRS

@Chequers

Overall cost : 9496 Roots

Half Cost : 4748 Roots

Recovered Cost : 4910 Roots

Restorable part Cost : 6456 Roots

ySeVECp.png

qMRYvMp.png

qKqHM7N.png

GkhWlQ6.png

Yes...you read the name properly...i did call it that way...Science Tools other than Materials Bay as well as Parachute is inside the Service Bay.

If my estimations were correct, i should get 1st Class Insignia...but did i ?

The Part count, Mass count and Size count limit made it more fun...Delta V in Orbit = 201 m/s

I might get a Screenshot if you wish...

Edited by GRS

Congratulations @GRS on your devilishly named entry, 'Something Long and Hard', which certainly quirked a few brows and flushed a few cheeks over at the OBC board meeting. That said, you have succesfully passed out of Orbit Boot Camp which your impressive entry - thank you for the detailed screenshot mission report demonstrating your vessel.

You are hereby awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (with full ribbon complement), Pearl Escutcheon, Onyx Eyes and Vermilion Heart. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that you have landed within a KSC biome, so you have not earned the Crossed Swords adornment, and therefore have not quite satisfied the requirements for the prestigious First Class Insignia. Still, four additional adornments is an impressive achievement, and your name and vessel will be recorded on the Honour Roll. Congratulations!

Edited by Chequers

14 minutes ago, GRS said:

Thanks...still...i wonder what counts as "KSC Biome", but i'll try working on it again...

Any biome that refers to a structure of the KSC, such as the runway, launchpad, VAB, Spaceplane Hangar, etc.

Edited by Chequers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.