1 hour ago, GRS said:

Thanks...still...i wonder what counts as "KSC Biome", but i'll try working on it again...

I've not updated them since KSP 1.6.1, but I believe the information on KSC biomes on sheet 2 of my KSP Science Checklists is still accurate.

@Chequers I humbly submit my contribution to this challenge 

SMqdJAz.pngI present Flyer 1 (a rather unimaginative name I apologise ;) ). This simple two stage rocket (costing 3150 credits) consists of a single solid rocket booster and a single liquid fuel stage and is composed of only 7 parts. Additionally I have also drained the pod of all monopropellant. There's no heat shield as in all honesty I forgot about it :) ! I'm aiming to land near the mountains as I've never been there before. 

q1U0mrq.pngFlyer 1 bravely ascending through the atmosphere 

tRdfSS8.pngBeginning gravity turn. The valiant Valentina remains remarkably calm throughout this ordeal 

XhYnCl7.pngSolid Rocket Booster has been separated and Flyer 1 is now climbing to orbit on a single Terrier engine 

rkyWBI8.pngYes! Victory is achieved with a stable orbit 

1uTW5fC.pngReentry sequence begins 

7EP2aVs.pngValentina and the Flyer 1 Capsule gently drift down towards the Kerbin Mountains near the KSC 

Uwzaap1.pngA successful mission concluded Valentina now awaits to be rescued 

Edited by Venturer2Space
Additional detail added to description

Flyer 3 (Not quite sure why I missed out Flyer 2...) 

Qucsalb.png

I again humbly present my attempt at this challenge. This time I'm looking to (try to) accomplish 5 things: Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw, Onyx Eyes, Amber Leaves and a Vermilion Heart. This two stage rocket designated "Flyer 3" is composed of 10 (Tier 4 and below) parts exactly, costing 4768 credits, is capable of carrying two kerbals and is also equipped with a barometer. 

bpOMJkz.pngq4tMwdh.png

Our brave explorers Valentina and Rovis are loaded into this contraption 

pLim9gY.png

Beginning gravity turn 

0FRl4Bk.png

Solid Rocket Booster Separation achieved. The second stage continues to orbit on its Terrier engine 

6d9Btpt.png

Orbit achieved !!! :) 

M5lSnlB.png

Rovis conducts some experiments with the barometer before quickly heading back inside 

pr5TcFW.png

xaKMq4l.png

Reentry sequence begins. The capsule plunges through the atmosphere. I had hoped to land a little bit closer to the KSC but oh well... ;) 

oPn4t7t.png

x1v0Qtr.png

Flyer 3 drifts back to Kerbin dangling on a parachute and safely lands with its precious cargo of kerbals and one piece of science data 

Thanks for reading!! :) 

Edited by Venturer2Space
Modified the font :)

@GRS, congratulations on updating your entry with an impressive landing back at KSC - we all knew you could do it, and were standing by to firmly plant the Crossed Swords adornment onto your Kerbin Crescent. With this fifth adornment, you earn the 1st Class Insignia, and a place on the prestigious 1st Class Register. Well done!

---

@Venturer2Space, we awoke to find not one, but two submissions in quick succession from you! Some might call that 'reckless haste', but not us! We at the OBC Committee like that pioneering spirit... but won't ask any questions about what happened to Flyer 2... 

On to the honours: With your first entry, Flyer 1, you successfully pass our of Orbit Boot Camp, and are hereby awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Amber Leaves and Onyx Eyes. Congratulations - your name and vessel will be recorded on the Honour Roll. You are also welcome to display the OBC patch in your signature if you wish.

Your second entry, Flyer 3, is a veritable demonstration of Orbital prowess; thank you for the detailed screenshot mission report. It is awarded the Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (with Meteorologist Ribbon), Onyx Eyes, Amber Leaves and Vermilion Heart. For achieving five additional adornments in a single launch, you are awarded the 1st Class Insignia: your name and vessel will be recorded on the 1st Class Register. Well done!

Edited by Chequers

• 3 weeks later...

ItThis is my second try the craft name is I think I can v2. Total cost is 6822 total parts recoverd was 1823. For total of 4,999. I also did a temp reading for a Kelvin Ribbon. I did all of it camping to Boot to.

• 2 weeks later...

@Keithv708, congratulations on your entry - 'I Think I Can V2', and for just squeaking in under the cost limit, with :funds:4,999. We at the OBC committee like to see engineers squeeze every last drop of efficiency out of their 5k budget, so well done!

You successfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp, and are awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Silver Claw (with Kelvin Ribbon). Huzzah! Your name and vessel will be recorded on the Honour Roll, and you may display the OBC Signature Patch if you choose to. Thanks for taking part!

Edited by Chequers

@Comte_Snek, welcome to OBC - and thank you for submitting two entries, with detailed screenshot mission reports to boot!

Your first entry, 'Le Garbage', is a timeless design, with the pointy bit aimed skywards - a great demonstration of how to make things go up quickly. With this vessel, you succesfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp, and are hereby awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (with Meteorologist Ribbon), Amber Leaves, and Onyx Eyes. Congratulations!

Your second entry, 'Le Garbage 2' does a lot with a little! We were particularly impressed at the amount of payload you were able to get into orbit - including two Kerbals and a satellite. We also enjoyed that the lower of the two command pods doubles up as an underwater viewing platform upon splashdown. Very creative. This entry is adorned with Vermilion Heart and Cobalt Stripe. Congratulations!

Your name and vessels will be recorded on the Honour Roll, and you may use the OBC patch in your signature if you like. Thanks for taking part! 

Edited by Chequers

17 hours ago, Comte_Snek said:

Sorry for submitting number two so quickly... Really couldn't hold myself. Another not so original design.

L56Q6i8.jpg

18 hours ago, Comte_Snek said:

My very unoriginal attempt...

DvpLSlZ.jpg

Hey, those are my rockets!

(How well does the bootcamper mk2 fly with a added sat on top and a longer SRB?)

• 4 weeks later...

Update

Thanks to everyone who took part in this challenge - I was blown away by all the submissions, creativity and boundary pushing brilliance. I learned a lot about maximising efficiency and cost - and it was a lot of fun to view your creations!

I feel this challenge has run its course for now, so I won't be actively monitoring this challenge thread; if you decide to submit an entry, be prepared to wait a while to get your name on the board.

Of course, if anybody would like to reboot this challenge, go right ahead!

Thanks,

Chequers

On 8/1/2020 at 8:36 PM, Chequers said:

I feel this challenge has run its course for now, so I won't be actively monitoring this challenge thread; if you decide to submit an entry, be prepared to wait a while to get your name on the board.

Well crap, I just signed up for this to be my first challenge. In fact, this is my first ever post.

I didn't look at other designs here, so sorry if this is copied. It made several attempts and most were stricken with coming in too hot while under parachute. I finally decided to try to have an asymmetrical design with parachutes on one side and modular girder segment on other to take the landing (allows 80m/s!). In previous attempts, I added a drogue chute to stabilize decent under parachute. In my successful attempt, I tried without drogue to get launch under 5,000. It was very perilous without because it teetered violently under main chute. I had also lost all electric charge so maybe it would have been easier had I saved some juice for SAS right at touchdown.

I think I either just made 1st class, or slightly missed it with KSC biome, which I guess I could reattempt.

Launch cost: 4,918

Recovered:  4,096

Mission cost: 822

Distance from KSC: 1.8km (97.9%) - Does this count as KSC biome?

Parts: 9

Science: Thermometer

Highest tech: I don't know how to tell this, but I think highest tech part is small nose cone and FL-T800? 

Spoiler

VAB ready to go at cost of 4,918:

7fgrqGV.png

I didn't screen capture ascent, my screenshot hotkeys mess with throttle/steering:

9EnsedY.png

EVA with Thermometer:

f3G5I7V.png

De-orbit burn complete and trajectory shown. Notice 13 m/s to spare:

aV0LfCh.png

Coming in hot, roll to protect girders:

B9SW9eG.png

Chute deployed but not open. I had used that 13 m/s up but maybe just a tad too much as I am going to come up just short of KSC proper:

7zYoupM.png

Chute opened, this still shot does not show the violent teetering motion while suspended under one chute. I'm puckering at this point:

XiLc3m3.png

To my surprise and luck, I landed on girders while teetering, but enough to not lose parts. I tipped off girders, but intact: 

7xKvK31.png

Proof of science:

JdTlTBU.png

Proof of recovery and 4,918 - 4,096 = 822 cost

SVP97UY.png

Welcome, @krautfed1. Thank you for submitting an entry. It's typical that I bring OBC to a close due to inactivity, and a new entrant arrives on the scene! OBC lives on!

Thanks for providing a detailed mission report and screenshots for your entry, 'Orbit Boot Camp 1', and congratulations for going above and beyond to earn those additional adornments on your maiden flight!

You successfully pass out of Orbit Boot Camp, and are hereby awarded the Kerbin Crescent, adorned with Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (with Kelvin Ribbon) and Amber Leaves.

Unfortunately, the small nose cone is a Tier 5 technology part, so this entry does not qualify for the Onyx Eyes. Furthermore a KSC Biome for the Crossed Swords is any biome where conducting a crew report would state that it is from 'The KSC/The Launchpad/The VAB/The Runway/etc'. 

Still, a hearty congratulations on your first entry - and do feel free to continue chasing additional adornments; we at OBC thoroughly enjoy 1st Class Entries.

Your name and vessel (feel free to give it a more unique name if you like) will be recorded on the Honour Roll. You are also welcome to display the OBC Patch in your signature if you wish.

Edited by Chequers

@Chequers Thank you for the welcome. I'm hooked on Challenges now.

Bummed I missed the extras, I went back for tweaks and SUCCESS! I ditched asymmetrical but stuck to the design of having modular girders take the landing even at 11 m/s under chute. I love using these girders and I'm very sloppy at landing. I had a dozen attempts at this and finally realized I was trying to do it with Goo Canister and it was just throwing me off on decent. Switched back to thermometer and viola, better re-entry control. So much control that I could fairly easily steer to KSC to fine tune. I landed on the runway and did a crew report for good measure of my landing location. I'm crossing my fingers that I made 1st Class. Also, if I made 1st Class does that make this one of the lowest mission costs in 1st Class?

Launch cost: 4,710

Recovered:  3,976

Mission cost: 734

Distance from KSC: Runway baby!

Parts: 10

Science: Thermometer

Spoiler

From the VAB, pretty simple design.

XpzvisY.png

Didn't get ascent... my screen capture has SHIFT and messes with throttle. Here's orbit, not as circular as I like but its LKO!

iVF9yUp.png

Coming home:

TF5K3NX.png

Pretty scenic final re-entry. Mun-rise, KSC, shores/islands, mountains, city.

BGzVzNR.png

Chute deployed and this time I saved some electricity for SAS stabilization upon touchdown.

k1gTKwz.png

On runway, SAS stabilized :cool:

ZHElWFm.png

Crew report on runway

fcF5kxr.png

Report proof of purchase:

I0Rq6PP.png

0OSVMIV.png

Edited by krautfed1

I knew you'd go for another entry, @krautfed1 - and I'm glad you did, because it's excellent.

It's impressive to see you take learnings from your first entry, and using that as a platform to create an improved vessel. Thank you for another detailed screenshot mission report. Onto the honours:

Your entry, 'Orbit Boot Camp 3.0', is awarded the Zircon Chevron, Silver Claw (with Kelvin Ribbon), Amber Leaves, Onyx Eyes and Crossed Swords. For achieving five additional adornments in a single launch, you earn the 1st Class Insignia.

Your name and vessel will be recorded on the prestigious 1st Class Register - congratulations!

@Chequers Upon looking at this, I need to disqualify myself from Onyx Eyes, for now.  As you see in my recovered parts list, I used FL-T800 fuel tanks, which I believe fall into same Tier 5 as small nose cone in previous attempt.

I just built a Orbit Boot Camp 4.0 replacing the FL-T800's with FL-T400's and with same Delta-V as OBC 3.0 and it comes to cost of 5,110. I then replaced a FL-T400 with reduced fuel with FL-T200 and I'm able to get a little more Delta-V. Doing so, I'm left with 3,323 m/s in VAB vs the 3,525 m/s I had in OBC 3.0. Reducing the fuel (weight) also made TWR go up in VAB from 2.10 to 2.32. So maaaaybe I can still accomplish this feat, but I'll have to try at a later date.

For now, I relinquish my 1st Class and Onyx Eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

hey so ummm... I'm interesed to participate this challenge but...

On 4/7/2020 at 3:04 AM, Chequers said:

All parts must be stock, and no performance enhancing mods may be used

does that mean that "Certain mods" like Restock or something else should not be used?

oh wait. i necroposted... sorry.

Edited by Kane Kerman

12 hours ago, Kane Kerman said:

hey so ummm... I'm interesed to participate this challenge but...

does that mean that "Certain mods" like Restock or something else should not be used?

oh wait. i necroposted... sorry.

Hi @Kane Kerman, welcome to Orbit Boot Camp - you can still make entries.

I don't use mods at all, so I don't know what Restock does. Does it add parts? Or just add part variants/skins? 

Okay @Chequers, I've got an entry for you.

Presenting the Cheapo!

vimF2qx.png

Launch price of :funds:4733 and 10 parts.

In orbit (the launch was very difficult and I forgot to get any pictures of it)

mCZzbwC.png

Don't worry, I only used Mech Jeb to look at the vessel info.

RNaRVop.png

Almost perfectly circular.

Now for reentry:

VbZhca8.png

And landing:

JZhwJ4b.png

And touchdown:

pog2vjb.png

The cost of the craft was :funds:1599 (cost without fuel)  and using the recovery cost formula on the wiki (0.98-(distance/2150) I calculated that the recovery cost was:funds:1264.

Launch cost of :funds:4733 - Zircon Chevron

Recovery total of :funds:3469

Exactly 10 parts - Amber Leaves

All parts are tech level 3 or below - Onyx Eyes

Edited by Kerminator1000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.