[WIP] Boring Crew Services - Stockalike Starliner Mod

DylanSemrau

18 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Are we going to get an IVA? Even just a simple one. 

I would strongly recommend checking the roadmap before asking questions about what will be available (look at the top of the OP for link)

5 hours ago, DylanSemrau said:

I would strongly recommend checking the roadmap before asking questions about what will be available (look at the top of the OP for link)

well anyways. this is an absolutely beautiful mod. the level of detail is stunning.

so it seems like a good idea to make part variants that (hopefully) expand the number of things you can do with these parts

First off, I should have space on the texture sheet for a second variant of the crew capsule, which ofc means a simple black/white version

Second, yes I'll make the Boring logo toggleable eventually, during testing it'll just be painted on there

Third, the service module will have a few switches, turning on/off the black ring in the middle, adding/removing the abort engines, and even opening up the bottom to the hollow middle because I think that would be neat

There will be a few others, but these are the big things I wanted to go over

On 7/2/2020 at 12:08 PM, DylanSemrau said:

so it seems like a good idea to make part variants that (hopefully) expand the number of things you can do with these parts

First off, I should have space on the texture sheet for a second variant of the crew capsule, which ofc means a simple black/white version

Second, yes I'll make the Boring logo toggleable eventually, during testing it'll just be painted on there

Third, the service module will have a few switches, turning on/off the black ring in the middle, adding/removing the abort engines, and even opening up the bottom to the hollow middle because I think that would be neat

There will be a few others, but these are the big things I wanted to go over

I wouldn't stress about that right know. I think tiny switchable cosmetics can wait till an initial release.

14 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I wouldn't stress about that right know. I think tiny switchable cosmetics can wait till an initial release.

I mean it's best to know what I want so I can plan ahead, just sharing what I think can be easily done

8 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Question, will this capsule’s abort thrusters and maneuvering thrusters use the same fuel?

probably, we'll see

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 12:57 AM, alberro+ said:

Question, will this capsule’s abort thrusters and maneuvering thrusters use the same fuel?

On 7/5/2020 at 9:15 AM, DylanSemrau said:

probably, we'll see

The real Starliner uses two different fuels for the LES and RCS.
Hydrazine for the RCS.
Liquid oxygen / Ethanol or MMH / NTO for the LES.

If you want semi-realism @DylanSemrau, I would suggest making the LES liquid fuel instead of mono. 

Of course, it's always good to have one fuel instead of three, so I myself wouldn't mind a cut away from realism and you just making the LES use mono. Of course, it comes down to how much fuel does the LES take up. Liquid fuel might give a longer burn time, which is what you want in an LES. Mono tends to go super fast. If it cuts out while you're still in front of the rocket, say bye bye to your kerbals. :0.0:

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

The real Starliner uses two different fuels for the LES and RCS.
Hydrazine for the RCS.
Liquid oxygen / Ethanol or MMH / NTO for the LES.

If you want semi-realism @DylanSemrau, I would suggest making the LES liquid fuel instead of mono. 

Of course, it's always good to have one fuel instead of three, so I myself wouldn't mind a cut away from realism and you just making the LES use mono. Of course, it comes down to how much fuel does the LES take up. Liquid fuel might give a longer burn time, which is what you want in an LES. Mono tends to go super fast. If it cuts out while you're still in front of the rocket, say bye bye to your kerbals. :0.0:

I Was thinking something like Tundra’s Dragon, which has mono for both the LES and RCS.

I absolutely love the name "Boring," even if the quality of the parts look far beyond that.

I'm curious, though, about how the IDA is going to work as a part. Is it simply a double-sided docking port (which I've never seen in KSP before, is that possible?) or is it meant to be attached with KIS?

About the LES: I'm fine with either fuel, but if the thrusters are exclusively for LE, shouldn't they have a minimum thrust that is set above 0, so that they're always active