[WIP] Boring Crew Services - Stockalike Starliner Mod

DylanSemrau

I should probably mention that I decided to take a bit of a break from this since I can't work on something for too long without getting bored, will be back soonish.

EDIT: Also thanks for the positive response to this mod, it's been really nice to see. It's not even out and it's gotten more attention than any of my others

Edited by DylanSemrau

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 2:46 PM, alberro+ said:

Question, is Starliner planned to fly on Vulcan?

On 8/16/2020 at 3:06 PM, DylanSemrau said:

If Boeing wants to it can

UlA said Vulcan would be man-rated from the start, but I have my doubts. Man-rating something today is not as easy as it was during Saturn. You need over 200 restarts of every engine, in a row. That means firing 1 to 200 have to go off without a hitch. If Firing 199 fails, that means that the whole process starts over again, at least, that's what I've heard. The SRBs will be easy, if they fly a lot of heavy versions, six SRBs per launch. But there's only 2 BE-4s, and 1 upper stage, so rating them will be hard. I see Atlas V being around for a long long time. That, or if ULA decides to retire Atlas, they might contract SpaceX to fly Starliner. I know it's very unlikely, but if Atlas goes before Vulcan is man rated, there's only 2 other options available besides Falcon 9. Soyuz, which I doubt they'll ever use, or Ariane V, which was man-rated, but never used, iirc. 

On another note, will you be putting a Vulcan adpater in your mods? @DylanSemrau

Edited by GoldForest

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2020 at 7:57 AM, GoldForest said:

Boeing said Vulcan would be man-rated from the start, but I have my doubts. Man-rating something today is not as easy as it was during Saturn. You need over 200 restarts of every engine, in a row. That means firing 1 to 200 have to go off without a hitch. If Firing 199 fails, that means that the whole process starts over again, at least, that's what I've heard. The SRBs will be easy, if they fly a lot of heavy versions, six SRBs per launch. But there's only 2 BE-4s, and 1 upper stage, so rating them will be hard. I see Atlas V being around for a long long time. That, or if ULA decides to retire Atlas, they might contract SpaceX to fly Starliner. I know it's very unlikely, but if Atlas goes before Vulcan is man rated, there's only 2 other options available besides Falcon 9. Soyuz, which I doubt they'll ever use, or Ariane V, which was man-rated, but never used, iirc. 

On another note, will you be putting a Vulcan adpater in your mods? @DylanSemrau

ULA said this, not Boeing. the RL-10 has been operated to high hell over the last ~50 years and wouldnt be a set back for man-rating vulcan. Atlas will fly as long as a customer pays for it, so starliner on falcon is highly unlikely. 

2 hours ago, cameronisher3 said:

ULA said this, not Boeing. the RL-10 has been operated to high hell over the last ~50 years and wouldnt be a set back for man-rating vulcan. Atlas will fly as long as a customer pays for it, so starliner on falcon is highly unlikely. 

I meant ULA. I have no idea why I said Boeing. Derp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 4:51 PM, DylanSemrau said:

XaHN8e7.png

glares at date

welp

qxDlpPA.png

blankets on the main capsule part is done, tiles are getting there

please be patient with me, school is very draining lol

After a whole summer, I'm glad this is kind of back on track. If you gotta take time, then do it Chief.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...