Scriptable System

IkkiNit

1 hour ago, IkkiNit said:

Will Kerbal Space Program 2 have a scriptable language directly integrated at the launch ?

I would like to have access to something similar to kOS in the new game at the launch.

we currently have the mission builder.

5 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

we currently have the mission builder.

Mission builder is not here to control your ships and have access to the in flight data and events. This is just to create missions.

This is not what I need for Kerbal 2. I really want to automatize all my ships, stations, etc by events and retrieve all the data.

25 minutes ago, IkkiNit said:

Mission builder is not here to control your ships and have access to the in flight data and events. This is just to create missions.

This is not what I need for Kerbal 2. I really want to automatize all my ships, stations, etc by events and retrieve all the data.

kOS2. Also, the Builder detects when you have completed any scientific task, and can control your ships using staging nodes, etc.

Edited by HansonKerman

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

kOS2.

Yes but it could be better implemented directly by the devs than from a mod in order to have access to more things from the API.

In a perfect universe, in Kerbal 2 we could automate the whole company (refueling/reoxygen/etc in statioport by automatic launch on Kerbin when needed, automate transport of kerbals from one planet to another, ...)

Edited by IkkiNit

9 hours ago, IkkiNit said:

Yes but it could be better implemented directly by the devs than from a mod in order to have access to more things from the API.

In a perfect universe, in Kerbal 2 we could automate the whole company (refueling/reoxygen/etc in statioport by automatic launch on Kerbin when needed, automate transport of kerbals from one planet to another, ...)

kOS2 will be just as easy to install. Do you have an internet? Yes you do. Also, the Mission Builder argument stands.

17 hours ago, IkkiNit said:

Will Kerbal Space Program 2 have a scriptable language directly integrated at the launch ?

I would like to have access to something similar to kOS in the new game at the launch.

I hope not. I really truly hope not. Why? Not all players code. I honestly think something like this stays as a mod. Just my 0.02 of course.

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

I hope not. I really truly hope not. Why? Not all players code. I honestly think something like this stays as a mod. Just my 0.02 of course.

Yes I know that all people cannot code but they can have visual scripting like with mission builders for newbees in code. If you think mission builders are too complex to use, your argument is not acceptable because it's already visual scripting.

The thing is that a mod cannot have access to all the information from the game. Only an API from the dev could be really powerful. In kOS we can already see it.

Edited by IkkiNit

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

It need do tweakable, if it will be. Like a more realistic or hard option for gameplay, not mandatory.

3 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I still think scripting of any kind should remain mod only.

The problem is still that devs should do work in order to permit the access to all fonctionnalities, datas, etc from a mod. That was not the case in Kerbal 1, it was not possible to replace some parts.

For exemple, script was only for ships on the 1 but here I would like a base could have its own AI to be totally automonous.

8 hours ago, IkkiNit said:

The problem is still that devs should do work in order to permit the access to all fonctionnalities, datas, etc from a mod. That was not the case in Kerbal 1, it was not possible to replace some parts.

For exemple, script was only for ships on the 1 but here I would like a base could have its own AI to be totally automonous.

The game has already been delayed. Doing as you suggest would delay the game by a significant amount. I have my own list of mods id love to see stock but i know they likely never will be for reasons I will likely will never know. They <devs i think> <Star Force?> said KSP2 will be just as easy to mod as KSP. This imho is how it should be.

I sincerely hope that they already implemented scripting.

To who's saying that not all player codes, do you use the action groups? A visual scripting system would actually be easier to understand and use than the action group system and useful to everyone, not just the hardcore coders that are going to fly everything with a script.

Auto-staging, landing aids, solar panel deployment, fairing separation, parachute deployment, ejection sequences, there are a lot of small things that would be extremely easy to automate using a visual scripting language and, once you have that putting a text window on the side showing the actual code for more advanced users it's easy.

We're talking about something like this:

visual-programming-language-blocks.jpg&f

It's not rocket science.

I think they're talking clues from Space Engineers, and its got a decent scripting system of a sort that could fit in KSP rather well. They already said it's based on LUA. Nobody will be forced to use it, but it'll be there for advanced users.

17 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

I thought scripting support was already confirmed as part of improved modding. So it’s really just interface both external and if an internal interface will be stock or mod. 

It's just not graphical interface that is needed. If the devs don't let the mods access to some parts of the game, some things won't be possible like in Kerbal 1.

Kerbal 2 need to have all accessed by a complete API to be able to mod all the commands in the mod.

I have no problem to have it in a mod but devs have to do a job in order to have a complete mod not just a part like in Kerbal 1.

In Kerbal 2 it will be easier to have multiple bases in multiple universe.

Imagine if you have 10 bases in 10 different universes with life support, etc.

How could you manage all the supplying, refueling, etc without any AI to do this for you ?

I want to be able to code this in order to do others things in the game like exploring the all universe for exemple or creates new bases otherwhere.

Edited by IkkiNit

38 minutes ago, IkkiNit said:

How could you manage all the supplying, refueling, etc without any AI to do this for you ?

As much as I want scripting to be part of the game I would hate to have it as the sole method of solving the "milk run problem" for colonies, I hope for some intresting gameplay to be there (AI civilian ships?) instead of having to program something myself.

And I'm pretty sure that they already solved that problem in another way.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:18 AM, HansonKerman said:
On 4/9/2020 at 3:34 PM, IkkiNit said:

kOS2 will be just as easy to install. Do you have an internet? Yes you do. Also, the Mission Builder argument stands.

But you can't automate the whole space center as they just said.

51 minutes ago, Master39 said:

As much as I want scripting to be part of the game I would hate to have it as the sole method of solving the "milk run problem" for colonies, I hope for some intresting gameplay to be there (AI civilian ships?) instead of having to program something myself.

And I'm pretty sure that they already solved that problem in another way.

hmmmmm never thought abt that

1 hour ago, IkkiNit said:

It's just not graphical interface that is needed. If the devs don't let the mods access to some parts of the game, some things won't be possible like in Kerbal 1.

Kerbal 2 need to have all accessed by a complete API to be able to mod all the commands in the mod.

I have no problem to have it in a mod but devs have to do a job in order to have a complete mod not just a part like in Kerbal 1.

In Kerbal 2 it will be easier to have multiple bases in multiple universe.

Imagine if you have 10 bases in 10 different universes with life support, etc.

I want to be able to code this in order to do others things in the game like exploring the all universe for exemple or creates new bases otherwhere.

??? Plenty of  people do this already. It will be simple to just not use life support. Plenty of people manage surface bases, and it’s fine. Mods can already access almost every part of the game. Textures, KSC, planets, parts, resources, game mechanics, the way things are done (assembly and contracts)... just make or download a mod.

8 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

why would anyone want to do that.

54 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

??? Plenty of  people do this already. It will be simple to just not use life support. Plenty of people manage surface bases, and it’s fine. Mods can already access almost every part of the game. Textures, KSC, planets, parts, resources, game mechanics, the way things are done (assembly and contracts)... just make or download a mod.

I already have plenty of mods installed but noone can automate all the space center in order to automatically launch ship and control them to supplying bases.

54 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Because I don't want to do the launch myself like I explained before. I want to do other things than checking and doing the supply of the bases. I would like to have it automatically.

5 hours ago, HansonKerman said:
5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Because it's the natural, instinctive behaviour of any programmer.

The world is made just as a prototype for its software implementation.

P.S.
Ideally, the player should be scripted, too.

P.P.S.
Next step: an auto-generation of the world implemented programmatically. The the loop closes, the eternity gets cycled.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 4/11/2020 at 12:07 PM, Master39 said:

To who's saying that not all player codes, do you use the action groups?

There are indeed players who don't interact with action groups at all. Mods like All Y'All and Part Commander can handle most situations in a more basic 'click on the buttons' way.