[1.12.3] Luciole 1.9

Well

21 minutes ago, BallistX said:

Oh, basically a launchclamp-like part, that could work as well.

It looks immense but the rocket is really small

Haha, I meant 'immense' in the figurative - like 'great/awesome/brilliant'. Funny choice of word though! 

4 hours ago, SpaceGreer said:

This looks immense - can't wait. Also, looking forward to trying out 1.3!

Thanks,

that look immense, but it's not.. Kerbal for scale: (and basic color btw)

screenshot0.jpg

9 hours ago, Well said:

Thanks,

that look immense, but it's not.. Kerbal for scale: (and basic color btw)

screenshot0.jpg

That is absolutely amazing, definitely one of my favorite mods even though that wasn't even added yet, i also like the fact that it takes up the entire launch pad., 

9 hours ago, SpaceGreer said:

Just a thought - could you include a fuel tank in the pad, so you can start the rocket empty and fuel up...if you want? 

(I don't know how easy it would be to add a fuel tank)...

There's an in-game mechanism to add a fuel/electricity generator via the config files that can be activated in the context menu to fuel up rockets prior to launch.

Perfect! One of the things I like about Orbiter is countdown and launch can be a big deal. In KSP hitting spacebar sometimes feels unceremonial. So, fueling the rocket adds some suspense :) Can wander a kerbal around for inspection before too etc etc. 

I always wished KSP had a crawler which took your rockets to the pad (optional).

Anyway, thanks!

36 minutes ago, SpaceGreer said:

Perfect! One of the things I like about Orbiter is countdown and launch can be a big deal. In KSP hitting spacebar sometimes feels unceremonial. So, fueling the rocket adds some suspense :) Can wander a kerbal around for inspection before too etc etc. 

I always wished KSP had a crawler which took your rockets to the pad (optional).

Anyway, thanks!

is your friend. Hope you like it @SpaceGreer!

@Well looks excellent as usual. I haven’t gotten a chance to try the new “small parts” update but screenies will come by Monday.

EeRDUXCWsAAf36l?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

For more "fun" i've decided to not use the "clamp" system anymore, and make it a decoupler.. that allow CRAWLER!

screenshot2.jpgscreenshot3.jpg

Problem is now for animation of the decoupler itself, i need to see but the clamp system are probably going to be fix

4 hours ago, Well said:

EeRDUXCWsAAf36l?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

For more "fun" i've decided to not use the "clamp" system anymore, and make it a decoupler.. that allow CRAWLER!

screenshot2.jpgscreenshot3.jpg

Problem is now for animation of the decoupler itself, i need to see but the clamp system are probably going to be fix

Oh wow! Thank you thank you! Looks great :D

A test with a rocket using CRE Black Knight first stage.

So i think all 0.625 rocket match perfectly even with fins, probably 0.9375 rocket if you don't care about visually matching those clamp, 1.25 rocket are way too big in my opinion

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

Edited by Well

I've also noticed the pad float pretty well :D

so i think that open also other possibilities

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

( personnal pool included )

here an other test with "Grounded Modular Vehicles" mod

screenshot17.jpg

@Well could you make another variant of the pad, maybe a part switch, for the 4-booster variant of the Luciole? I use that config quite often for light Munar payloads in 2.7x. I would actually recommend that, with Knes parafoils for recovery, for all kinds of medium-light payloads.

8 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

@Well could you make another variant of the pad, maybe a part switch, for the 4-booster variant of the Luciole? I use that config quite often for light Munar payloads in 2.7x. I would actually recommend that, with Knes parafoils for recovery, for all kinds of medium-light payloads.

i don't think i could sorry. i could take a look but don't hope too much ( i can't make a pad for every config even is x4 booster is a classic )

• 2 weeks later...

The Goliath barely lost any ablator during Atmo braking at 40k from Mimnus.

It also failed to protect the Walking Leaf mounted behind it which was destroyed by over heating.

I had to reload a save, and then return at 50K. The Walking Leaf got overheated but managed to survive, after 4 times through the atmosphere during which time only a couple of units of ablator were used I managed to recover the craft.

I expected 40K atmospheric entry  from Mimnus orbit to be easily survivable. I expected to use a whole lot of ablator in the process.

Heat is being transfered to the item behind the heat shield because the heat shield is not shedding heat with the ablator.

Please fix this at your convenience.

D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.