[1.12.3] Luciole 1.9

Well

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of thoughts.

1) Nano fin (Ranatra) should be in start node.

2) Move Beetle and Bumblebee to start node, and move Rainbow Stag to basic rocketry. This would represent a progression in tank sizes.

3) DO NOT touch Praying Mantis. In fact, move it to advanced rocketry. It is quite fun to make Falcon-esque upper stages with Mosquitoes and Honeybee engine mount, no need to spoil that.

4) Speaking of Mosquitoes: maybe a specialized vacuum variant that comes in basic or general rocketry? Less thrust, more ISP, vacuum nozzle, you got the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Luciole 1.2.1 is online

Luciole 1.2.1 [2020-07-04]
-------------------------------

- Fix for Fairings in KSP 1.10
	- Firefly Kickstage is now in probe category	

14 minutes ago, PmThay said:

@Well sorry to bother you , but will this new version work ok in KSP 1.9.1?

Why didn`t you use the last version (1.2) because the new version has only a fix for KSP 1.10 and the Kickstage is now in another category. No new parts or other fixes.

@Well

I cant seem to get this to work for 1.10 for some reason. It could, and most likely is just a mistake on my end but if anyone else has an issue and they work out how to fix it that would be awesome. 

Any chance of adding this to CKAN at some point by the way? That would be awesome! 

On 7/5/2020 at 3:02 PM, adella said:

@Well

I cant seem to get this to work for 1.10 for some reason. It could, and most likely is just a mistake on my end but if anyone else has an issue and they work out how to fix it that would be awesome. 

Any chance of adding this to CKAN at some point by the way? That would be awesome! 

Any more info at all ? Nobody can help you if all you say is "it doesn t work" .

And Well does not add his mods to CKAN iirc

I really like the concept...  mainly as a RocketLab Electron fan.  

I have wondered whether Electon could get a one crewed capsule into orbit... even only just.  It would have to be a small capsule, maybe without reentry.  A second launch bring an empty return capsule.

So I'll look to add this to TeTrix techtree soon.

Peace.

Spacejunk here I come! Micromissions to asteroids! A swarm of them to tug a large LH2LOX tank to a station... Great stuff :D

Do you have any plans to extend the mod in any way? I don't know what you could add...Luciole cargo ship/ cargo variant of the crew module for small resupply or payload missions to stations. TBH, even adding KIS non-seat inventory support would work because you could fly it increased.

I love the KNES cargo pod, so it would be great to be able to do this with Lucille.

R

Edited by SpaceGreer

I have been playing a carreer game with your mod.

It is starting to earn it's keep now that I can launch networking sats with it.

Quite honestly I find no use for the little cube sats. Sure they can get enough power to run themselves but other than cheating sat missions with sats that don't actually do anything other than fulfil the requirements of the mission.
Early in the game I found I could get into space easily enough, but really didn't have much to do when I got there.
The size of the scientific experiments available (Materials bay and goo) are too large to realistically work with these tiny rockets.

I don't like the decoupler as part of the parachute especially as the decouple doesn't appear in the staging, just the parachute.
I have had to restart a few missions because I simply forgot to turn off the decoupler.

When I add a small mono tank to the pod, the resource only shows up in the dV stats if I place it on top of the pod. Not on the bottom.

Some landing legs for the pod would be a good addition, which lay flush against the pod when not in use and extend to keep the pod just a little off the ground.

At this point in my career I think it will be useful for returning the data back to Kerbin as a drop-pod hurled into Kerbin's atmosphere letting gravity a heat shield, a teeny tiny command ring and a parachute do the final step.

Later though I will be building a space plane and this should fit nicely in the Mk2 cargo bay so my space plane will get its own lander. That should be fun.

D.

Ok so I have had a look at making a lander using Lanternfly
I find that when I add either Greenfly or Flea tanks to the pod and adjust the Thrust Limiter of the pod it seems to break the dV stats. If I change to LfOx tanks and engines it seems to work as it should but then the whole craft becomes a lot bigger than I would like. I need it to leave the mothership, land on the Mun, and then rejoin the mothership.
It's just too fiddly having to reset the Thrust Limiter each time I add or remove something from the craft to get accurate dV.

So I'm going to put a pin in this one. I hope you get it fixed soon. It could be a problem with KSP and how it handles Mono as a fuel. I dunno... If you do manage to fix it, please let me know as I think it could be a lot of fun even in the later stages of the game.

D.

Edited by Daveroski
Additional information.

@Daveroski this is a big comment :D

At first i need to said one thing...  0.625 part in KSP are useless. The idea of the mod started when i've thinked.. what if i make a 0.625 rocket part mod that allow you to do pretty much 70% of contract in career. And in fact that was a sort of joke, but also a sort of gamechanger if you think about it, like all those new space compagny irl (RocketLab and other) and Interplanetray CubeSAt is not scifi anymore. Small launcher broke the rules.

The mod was also a "project" to practice a new art style (actually following @Beale Master art style).

- Yes cubesat are useless if you don't play career (i've added Kerbnet acess to them, but can't really add more, people already find them cheated) Embbed science maybe ? like a "student experiment" or "customer experiment" ?

- So behind simple sat contract cubesat 1u 2u 3u are useless, but the 0.3125 sat could have a little science experiment on it, only one by sat) and yes you can't put Mystery goo or big material bay on it. That put some limitation to the rocket, but hey... that logic. Use a bigger rocket for those big payload. This mod is made with the idea of sending some love to 0.625 parts, i've really wanted to have a 0.625 rocket to help to start my career. And that exaclty what do this mod. Luciole is mostly for Career player, cheap acess to space ! Cheap, powerful but with of course limitation of scale. (i'm pretty sure some design are possible for ~1.25 payload)

- i've also noticed than yes Luciole is awesome and really help at the start of the career... but after some time you don't really need anymore a 0.625 rocket. i still think luciole parts add a lot of possibilities of play. This afternoon i've tested some duna probe with sucess. But yeah when you play "realistic" Luciole rocket is really limited for late career, if people have idea to make them more usefull let me know.

- I probably need to make some craft and design to show what could be done with luciole parts.

- I've made the luciole pod for suborbital contract, eventually early orbital mission...and rescue contract. beyond that, it's not realistic anymore and start to be really "Kerbal" stupid design. But i'm pretty sure some realistic design could be done.

Edited by Well

3 hours ago, fragtzack said:

The dV calculations don't seem correct with these parts, both for stock dV calculations and engineering redux mod.

KSP Dv Calculation have sometimes some trouble with monoprop engine.

But to be honest i don't see any problem in my game.

I8KZVZH.jpg

a53AYDB.jpg

Ke0V6jH.jpg

Edited by Well

13 hours ago, Well said:

- i've also noticed than yes Luciole is awesome and really help at the start of the career... but after some time you don't really need anymore a 0.625 rocket. i still think luciole parts add a lot of possibilities of play. This afternoon i've tested some duna probe with sucess. But yeah when you play "realistic" Luciole rocket is really limited for late career, if people have idea to make them more usefull let me know.

That WAS a big comment.

Please read the rest of my post. Parachute/Decoupler... Lander Legs ... dV problem in Editor.

D.

BTW
I made a 0.625 profile Mun Lander that will do the job.
I made an excellent Probe-Data-Return-Module for larger probes.

In late game, the uses for these 0.625 parts are still VERY useful.

4 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

That WAS a big comment.

Please read the rest of my post. Parachute/Decoupler... Lander Legs ... dV problem in Editor.

D.

BTW
I made a 0.625 profile Mun Lander that will do the job.
I made an excellent Probe-Data-Return-Module for larger probes.

In late game, the uses for these 0.625 parts are still VERY useful.

Parachute/Decoupler is not a problem for me, i'm sorry if that was caused some problem for you. I can't change that because that how the part is supposed to work. I suppose i'm habitued with those sort of parachute/decoupler because i've played a lot this way with tantares.

Landing leg are not planned.

Dv problem, i need more info about that, picture or other details, that just a complain. The post above with my screenshot show every stage with DV calculation, you could have a little difference between Mechjeb and KSP because how they calculate Monoprop stage. that all

3 hours ago, Well said:

Parachute/Decoupler is not a problem for me, i'm sorry if that was caused some problem for you. I can't change that because that how the part is supposed to work. I suppose i'm habitued with those sort of parachute/decoupler because i've played a lot this way with tantares.

Then could you at least put the decoupler in staging when it's active?

3 hours ago, Well said:

Landing leg are not planned.

Shame.. The Smallest vanilla legs look huge.

3 hours ago, Well said:

Dv problem, i need more info about that, picture or other details, that just a complain. The post above with my screenshot show every stage with DV calculation, you could have a little difference between Mechjeb and KSP because how they calculate Monoprop stage. that all

How about you go into the VAB and add a monoprop tank to your pod bottom and check out the dV readout. It drops to 0

Then change the Thrust Level to about 10% and then move the tank from the bottom to the top

It shows the correct values at 100% but when you change it and then add a docking port to the top of the monoprop tank and see what happens.

D.

36 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

How about you go into the VAB and add a monoprop tank to your pod bottom and check out the dV readout. It drops to 0

Then change the Thrust Level to about 10% and then move the tank from the bottom to the top

It shows the correct values at 100% but when you change it and then add a docking port to the top of the monoprop tank and see what happens.

When i add a monoprop fuel tank on top of the pod in KSP 1.10 everything is fine. docking port or other part added also.

If i add a monoprop fuel tank on the bottom of the pod.. New monoprop added is not added to the Dv, wich don't have any sense...

I'm going to see what i could do for that, but that look like a KSP issue. (KSP probably just hate the fact that a pod with embbed engine)

btw those engine are normally just for abort only.