WORMHOLES!

eggling

42 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Source please.

Oh my God. The source is your logic. Or do you think Daedalus’s creation is an easy thing? Yes, in practice it is possible now. But in fact, only after 100 or more years.

The same applies to metallic hydrogen, and interplanetary colonies and the extraction of helium-3. All this will be available no earlier than in 2150. And it’s good if I'm wrong.

And stock KSP is somewhere analogous to the 1960s.

Edited by OOM

3 hours ago, OOM said:

Oh my God. The source is your logic. Or do you think Daedalus’s creation is an easy thing? Yes, in practice it is possible now. But in fact, only after 100 or more years.

The same applies to metallic hydrogen, and interplanetary colonies and the extraction of helium-3. All this will be available no earlier than in 2150. And it’s good if I'm wrong.

And stock KSP is somewhere analogous to the 1960s.

KSP1 and KSP2 are not a series. There is no story except in our heads. You seem to want to rag on everyone :/ be a bit nicer and open minded, rn you’re a bit of a pain

12 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

it looks like you will have to wait for someone to make a mod for some premade wormhole, like the event horizon mod, because the devs said no ftl. :/

yeah... a mod seems possible tho. I do want to see that.

4 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Source please.

I’m just guessing by our current progression in the real world, fusion will probably come within 50 years from know and the stuff they showed use so far is pretty probable once fusion is real.

6 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I’m just guessing by our current progression in the real world, fusion will probably come within 50 years from know and the stuff they showed use so far is pretty probable once fusion is real.

Thanks. I was hoping that the dev's dropped more info somewhere and some how was missed. 

As mentionned above, a traversable wormhole (like a Morris-Thorne) is unliky to become a thing in KSP2 because of its highly speculative nature whereas devs mentionned they wanted the techs in KSP2 to reflect what could be the future of space exploration in the few hundreds years to come. And numerous polls in the forums already confirmed it was what the players want for this sequel. Moreover a space-time bridge and what it means in terms of gameplay would be very hard to implement, something you should know if you already danced with the kraken...

Spoiler

But a wormhole in the form of a Einstein-Rossen bridge, meaning an non traversable black hole accompanied by a white hole is one of the thing I'd like to see the most in a game, but does it have it's place in KSP 2 ? I don't think so... But I would love to have a white-hole as an easter-egg, that would be THE place to orbit !

Edited by Kaerbanogue

• 3 months later...

Wormholes aren't even proven to exist. They're still very highly theoretical. 

KSP 2 is about NEAR future technology and findings, so the chances of wormholes being officially in the game are pretty much 1 million to 1.

There's better chances of a blackhole being hidden in the game than a wormhole.

Though, I wouldn't put it past modders to try and create wormholes in game. The problem with wormholes though, is how do you take something, teleport it across the cosmos, and then have physics stay well behaved in the process. The only way I see wormholes working, is if someone takes a wormhole, make that wormhole actually accelerate the craft to beyond light speed, then when it reaches the exit wormhole, slow it back down to the speed it was going. And with the way KSP physics works... yeah... good luck getting your craft there in one piece. 

Edited by GoldForest

Well, I see it as having two options:

1. Time skip as we have now or
  2. Wormholes.

Which would be better for game play?

If time skip is used and we have a decent Mission Control that makes progressing multiple missions possible then we could have Kerbin progress while the ship on its interstellar flight doesn't. Even if ships are sent after the first its still going to be lagging thus producing a dynamic between the two.

Wormholes would skip that aspect and I can't actually see any benefit except that the irritating time skip would be missed.

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Though, I wouldn't past modders to try and create wormholes in game. The problem with wormholes though, is how do you take something, teleport it across the cosmos, and then have physics stay well behaved in the process.

Hyperedit and Kerbal Galaxy do teleportation and wormholes, respectively, well enough. With a much updated and more flexible game, I bet modders could make wormholes completely seamless.

I think it could be done. Something like the grand easter egg that was part of the original plan for KSP except entering the wormhole would lead to a special, unique rogue planet. It would also make a great end game for career/science modes of gameplay.

Edited by James Kerman
Grammark

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Hyperedit and Kerbal Galaxy do teleportation and wormholes, respectively, well enough. With a much updated and more flexible game, I bet modders could make wormholes completely seamless.

I actually forgot there's an in-game teleportation system that works pretty well... *Face desk*

Just now, James Kerman said:

I think it could be done. Something like the grand easter egg that was part of the original plan for KSP except following the clues would lead to a special, unique rogue planet. It would also make a great end game for career/science modes of gameplay.

But this is a game about near future tech, not theoretical far future tech, even if you try to use "but aliens" to explain the problems away.

It'll be somewhat interesting... A random coordinate number generator for a "Wormhole". If it did get implemented it's most likely gonna be pre-set coordinates with warped lighting that sends you to another pre-set in-game coordinate.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

But this is a game about near future tech, not theoretical far future tech, even if you try to use "but aliens" to explain the problems away.

Yes it is a game. As to the levels of realism, that is subjective. Luckily the devs seem to have taken that into account with all the setup options and I would hope something like this would be also.

Personally I would not use wormholes that exist between systems but I do understand that others may like that. For me a one-off planet behind a wormhole, that would require top tier technology to get to would be cool!

1 minute ago, James Kerman said:
17 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yes it is a game. As to the levels of realism, that is subjective.

The problem here is that wormholes would sidestep using the near future tech to do the whole interstellar travel thing the whole game is about. Squad didn't know what KSP 1 was going to be like when they were still considering a warp drive, but we sure know what KSP 2 will be like, and it won't have wormholes.

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The problem here is that wormholes would sidestep using the near future tech to do the whole interstellar travel thing the whole game is about. Squad didn't know what KSP 1 was going to be like when they were still considering a warp drive, but we sure know what KSP 2 will be like, and it won't have wormholes.

I'd say the best implementation is through naturally occurring pre-set defined locations of where there would be wormhole entrances. After all, generating wormholes are extremely science fictional.