WORMHOLES!

eggling

3 minutes ago, Danielle said:
14 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The problem here is that wormholes would sidestep using the near future tech to do the whole interstellar travel thing the whole game is about. Squad didn't know what KSP 1 was going to be like when they were still considering a warp drive, but we sure know what KSP 2 will be like, and it won't have wormholes.

I'd say the best implementation is through naturally occurring pre-set defined locations of where there would be wormhole entrances. After all, generating wormholes are extremely science fictional.

The best implementation is none at all. The game is about exploiting orbital mechanics, not exploiting objects only predicted by relativity.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

The game is about exploiting orbital mechanics, not exploiting objects only predicted by relativity.

Yes, it's an orbital mechanic game with spectacle and they're even trying to make the game more appealing to a wider audience. I love trying to learn orbital mechanics to fly my ships but the prospect of adventuring and discovering the planets + career mode is what kept me going.

34 minutes ago, Danielle said:

The game is about exploiting orbital mechanics, not exploiting objects only predicted by relativity.

Yes, it's an orbital mechanic game with spectacle and they're even trying to make the game more appealing to a wider audience. I love trying to learn orbital mechanics to fly my ships but the prospect of adventuring and discovering the planets + career mode is what kept me going.

The difference is that you can't use any of the celestial bodies in KSP 1 to instantly transport yourself to another location.

Orbital mechanics are only accurately projected by relativity.

Newton physics simply don't have it in them to really get beyond the solar system.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-limitations-of-Newtonian-Mechanics?share=1

Farscape Technologies has reached new, faster and more exotic ways to travel across the universe, after the (in)famous Crichton Kerman developed his trans-wormhole equations. Thus, we are proudly introducing the Moya Engine. Warranty void if used to cross to another dimension, or to mess up with the timeline.

:D

4 hours ago, Danielle said:

Sadly career mode is being removed because the devs thought money is annoying and are replacing it with science mode with more steps

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I suppose one could use the positions of the planets to determine when KSP2 occurs based on the KSP1 calendar.

Time warp has a tendency of screwing up perceived dates using planetary alignment.

42 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Time warp has a tendency of screwing up perceived dates using planetary alignment.

But aren't the planets on rails, and not subject to the physics calculations?  Wouldn't that invalidate Alex Moon's Launch Window planner?

Even if that were the case, just get the phase angles at time 0 for each game, and compare.  Easy enough in KSP1 using kOS.

16 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

But aren't the planets on rails, and not subject to the physics calculations?  Wouldn't that invalidate Alex Moon's Launch Window planner?

Even if that were the case, just get the phase angles at time 0 for each game, and compare.  Easy enough in KSP1 using kOS.

The point is time is arbitrary in KSP. You can start playing at any point in time you want, and advance at any pace you want.

So saying that KSP2 takes place 200 years in the future couldn't be true unless it's directly stated by the devs or in the case of the initial reply you're quoting, a matter of opinion.

Just now, shdwlrd said:

The point is time is arbitrary in KSP. You can start playing at any point in time you want, and advance at any pace you want.

Except it's not.  At time = 0 seconds, every KSP game has the planets in the exact same position.  Each planet is on rails, and has a specific orbital period.  At time = 1,000,000 seconds, every stock Kerbol system will have their planets in the same place.  This is why when you use Alex Moon's Launch Window Planner, you need to put in the current date of the game, so it knows when the next window will be.

To be clear, when I'm talking about 200 years in the future, I don't mean 200 years from our future, but 200 years in Kerbin's future.

5 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Sadly career mode is being removed because the devs thought money is annoying and are replacing it with science mode with more steps

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, that's sad. Money managing was fun. Hopefully they'll re-add it back in a future once they've gotten their foothold for KSP 2. 
Maybe update it with more "Real life bureaucracy"-kind of style. Seeing that interplanetary colonization has a large emphasis in this game it probably looked like Career mode was gonna be too overwhelming for the player, to the developers. 

5 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Except it's not.  At time = 0 seconds, every KSP game has the planets in the exact same position.  Each planet is on rails, and has a specific orbital period.  At time = 1,000,000 seconds, every stock Kerbol system will have their planets in the same place.  This is why when you use Alex Moon's Launch Window Planner, you need to put in the current date of the game, so it knows when the next window will be.

To be clear, when I'm talking about 200 years in the future, I don't mean 200 years from our future, but 200 years in Kerbin's future.

This sums up my position. I don't care about the actual time frame.

You quoted me out of context. I tried to tell you that I was asking for an official source and the person responded that it was their personal opinion. That conversation was done and over with.

You refuse to understand that whatever future time frame KSP2 begins with can change depending on how long the player takes to advance the tech tree. Which doesn't even matter because we know that anything from KSP1 won't be directly compatible with KSP2. We don't know where the planets for KSP2 will start at. We don't know how KSP2 tech progression will be. There's too many unknowns to even speculate what time frame the future tech will come into play with KSP2. 

4 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

This sums up my position. I don't care about the actual time frame.

You quoted me out of context. I tried to tell you that I was asking for an official source and the person responded that it was their personal opinion. That conversation was done and over with.

You refuse to understand that whatever future time frame KSP2 begins with can change depending on how long the player takes to advance the tech tree. Which doesn't even matter because we know that anything from KSP1 won't be directly compatible with KSP2. We don't know where the planets for KSP2 will start at. We don't know how KSP2 tech progression will be. There's too many unknowns to even speculate what time frame the future tech will come into play with KSP2. 

My main point was time-warp shouldn't change the positions of the planets with respect to time.

So to clarify, SpaceFace stated KSP2 takes place 200 years in the future, which I took to mean 200 years in the future of KSP1 (which was a wrong assumption).  I mentioned, one could use planetary orbit and positions from KSP1 set to year 200 to see if it matched up with KSP2's planetary positions, which would of course require the devs actively do the calculations and set the game up this way, which I doubt (as you'll probably start at Tier 0).

At which point, you stated that Time Warp would screw up planetary positions and that time is arbitrary in KSP.   I disagree with both those points.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, OOM said:

Oh my God. The source is your logic. Or do you think Daedalus’s creation is an easy thing? Yes, in practice it is possible now. But in fact, only after 100 or more years.

The same applies to metallic hydrogen, and interplanetary colonies and the extraction of helium-3. All this will be available no earlier than in 2150. And it’s good if I'm wrong.

And stock KSP is somewhere analogous to the 1960s.

Using "your logic" can get to a date of 100 years, or 400 years. It can also lead to 0 years. If the game starts with the basic KSP tech - liquidfuel+oxidizer engines, jet engines, etc, then its starting pretty much right where KSP left off. Meanwhile, if the "torchship" drive is what many people think it is, 1000 years in the future for the end game tech is not unreasoable.

Given the wide disparity in what will likely be the starting tech and the ending tech, I don't think you can really place a number on it. I also doubt it will take 100 years of in game time to go from the KSP 1 tech to the advanced fusion drive tech (I may be wrong).

And I can't resist, the metallic hydrogen, probably not available IRL in 2150, probably not ever, but that's for another thread

On 7/23/2020 at 12:15 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

On 7/23/2020 at 5:28 PM, Danielle said:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, that's sad. Money managing was fun. Hopefully they'll re-add it back in a future once they've gotten their foothold for KSP 2. 
Maybe update it with more "Real life bureaucracy"-kind of style. Seeing that interplanetary colonization has a large emphasis in this game it probably looked like Career mode was gonna be too overwhelming for the player, to the developers. 

We have how much information on this? Probably somewhere around ten sentences between the PC Gamer article and the dev updates. Definitely too early to assert that it has been completely replaced. Also, money is a medium of exchange. Typically, you exchange it for resources. If KSP 2 has resources, then it essentially has multiple types of money. I wouldn't worry; the devs know exactly what they're doing.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:28 PM, Danielle said:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, that's sad. Money managing was fun.

n = money_value
fetch n
if n = threshold<
then(VAB>launch>boringmoneygatheringmission)
if n = threshold>
then(VAB>launch>funmission)

On 7/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

But we don't know any details of how it's replacement will work, so you may even like it more.  We will just have to wait for more info, and judge it when we get chance to actually  try it.

I really like the 'idea' of career mode, but every time I try it it just fails to inspire me to want to continue.  I don't  think the issue is 'money' or 'science points' themselves, but more the overall implementation of both science and career modes.  Many players enjoy them, but many others seem to feel the same as me.