Locks not staying locked

I didn't see any complaints about this in the forum, so I'll try now.
Using KSP 1.9.1 with the latest BG DLC. I've attached some robotic (DLC, not 'Infernal Robotics') parts to a ship, I set them all to be locked and have their respective motors disengaged. I set that up in the VAB. When I move to the launch pad, all of my locks are no longer locked and the motors are once again engaged. I can set them while on the launch pad, but frequently when I go to check them, they are no longer locked. I also added some robotic parts to my minmus orbital station. I set them to the position I want, wait for the oscillations to dampen out, lock the parts and disengage the motor. I'll then do something like decouple a lander go down to Minmus and return, or decouple a ship and head back to Kerbin etc, but when I get back to my minmus station, the things I had locked are no longer locked and the parts have moved, but as soon as I click on the motor button (which says engaged) the part moves back to the expected position...of course the locks are still disengaged.     

Anyone else find that locks get lost, a lot?

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, Michel Bartolone said:

I didn't see any complaints about this in the forum, so I'll try now.
Using KSP 1.9.1 with the latest BG DLC. I've attached some robotic (DLC, not 'Infernal Robotics') parts to a ship, I set them all to be locked and have their respective motors disengaged. I set that up in the VAB. When I move to the launch pad, all of my locks are no longer locked and the motors are once again engaged. I can set them while on the launch pad, but frequently when I go to check them, they are no longer locked. I also added some robotic parts to my minmus orbital station. I set them to the position I want, wait for the oscillations to dampen out, lock the parts and disengage the motor. I'll then do something like decouple a lander go down to Minmus and return, or decouple a ship and head back to Kerbin etc, but when I get back to my minmus station, the things I had locked are no longer locked and the parts have moved, but as soon as I click on the motor button (which says engaged) the part moves back to the expected position...of course the locks are still disengaged.     

Anyone else find that locks get lost, a lot?

I can't believe that no one else has seen this and responded in the last month! I'm the only one that the robotic parts locks are not staying as set?

I just gave it a test, and indeed if I disengage the drive in the VAB then the lock is marked as not set when going to the launchpad. But in the quick test I did the hinge didn't behave as I would expect a not-locked and not-powered hinge to behave: it didn't flop around or fold down under the force of gravity. It kind of behaved as if disengaging the engine automatically locked the hinge.

P.S. For me personally this hasn't been a problem (yet?), I haven't had the need to use robotic parts with an engine installed but have that engine disengaged. I.e. I either remove the engine in the editor (if I want it unpowered) or I leave the engine engaged.

• 2 weeks later...

Just expanding a little bit here. The last few days I've been working some contracts around Minmus. I have a station there that has PV panels on a folding arm. I have the hinges, pistons, and rotors all locked. I undock from the station, perform some activity on Minmus and return, but before I can dock, I have to reset all of the hinges, all of the rotors, and all of the pistons, because they're flopping around all over the place. As soon as I click on the lock button (to unlock them) they move to the right position, and I lock them again. I think this is an issue with the base game and (obviously since I'm using parts from there) the BG DLC.

Sorry, I can't reproduce that.

I only have two types of craft in long-time use that have several robotic parts in a row in a row. One is a Very Kerbal Array that I have in Kerbin orbit and the other a science shuttle with an extending boom for a scanning arm. Both were fine when I visited them with all the parts locked or unlocked as they should be and all in the correct position. One point is that they are all in space in microgravity, so there are no forces acting on the parts that the locks have to withstand. On the other hand the folding-wing airplane that I have parked on Eve is also fine. Well, the parts - in particular the propellers - are moving around as I mentioned in "bent 3P Telescoping Hydraulic Cylinder", but the hinges that fold the wings are still in their position and still locked.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:43 PM, Michel Bartolone said:

Just expanding a little bit here. The last few days I've been working some contracts around Minmus. I have a station there that has PV panels on a folding arm. I have the hinges, pistons, and rotors all locked. I undock from the station, perform some activity on Minmus and return, but before I can dock, I have to reset all of the hinges, all of the rotors, and all of the pistons, because they're flopping around all over the place. As soon as I click on the lock button (to unlock them) they move to the right position, and I lock them again. I think this is an issue with the base game and (obviously since I'm using parts from there) the BG DLC.

I just encountered an almost identical situation in 1.8.1 on a Minmus surface base.  It has a folding refueling arm (with a KIS hose reel on the end) to refuel other craft without needing to land right on top of the base.  When the first crew arrived, the arm had collapsed under the base despite locks being set before I switched to another craft.  After resetting everything, it was all working like it should again.  I haven't actually gone back to see if it repeats itself

The landing was at night of course, but the arm is partially illuminated, laying collapsed on the ground

6U0TNUf.png?1

And this is where it had been left, stowed & locked, with the pistons collapsed to minimum length:

xMasvgD.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.