The constant updates have effectively driven me away from this game... Yeah.. odd

Talavar

Everytime I come back ready to play the game, it's just been updated, and the mods are ruined.. My biggest gripe is kopernicus being destroyed constantly. So I downgrade to an earlier version, only to find that the good system packs are either gone or broken somehow. So, I have a suggestion... Add a new optional star with new planets in the distance. If a single dude can make kopernicus, surely you guys can slap together something that works in the base game and add an alcuberrei(sp) drive. then we won't really need those mods anymore to make it exciting... Let's face it.. the kerbol system is worn out...we need some new worlds to explore..Sure, the update looks pretty... but pretty and boring just doesn't help... Just my two cents. 
 (edit) guess I should have put this in suggestions.. If a moderator would be so kind as to move it over so I don't have a duplicate..

Edited by Talavar

6 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Everytime I come back ready to play the game, it's just been updated, and the mods are ruined.. My biggest gripe is kopernicus being destroyed constantly. So I downgrade to an earlier version, only to find that the good system packs are either gone or broken somehow. So, I have a suggestion... Add a new optional star with new planets in the distance. If a single dude can make kopernicus, surely you guys can slap together something that works in the base game and add an alcuberrei(sp) drive. then we won't really need those mods anymore to make it exciting... Let's face it.. the kerbol system is worn out...we need some new worlds to explore..Sure, the update looks pretty... but pretty and boring just doesn't help... Just my two cents. 
 (edit) guess I should have put this in suggestions.. If a moderator would be so kind as to move it over so I don't have a duplicate..

Copy your KSP install and put it somewhere where steam can't touch it; problem solved.

20 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Copy your KSP install and put it somewhere where steam can't touch it; problem solved.

Agreed, but they could still add some new planets or something.. lol

2 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Agreed, but they could still add some new planets or something.. lol

The performance increases from 1.6.1 to 1.7.3 to 1.8.1 to 1.9 i'd take over another rock any day. At this point i'd be content with them just not introducing more bugs with every release, and fixing the persistent ones that still linger. KSP2 will focus on interplanetary travel and near future technologies, so if you want a "Stock" experience with other planets that'll do.

1 hour ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

i'd be content with them just not introducing more bugs with every release

Check my signature.

These constant updates happen every few months and at this point of development changes are mostly cosmetic, so most mods work even after an update. Kopernicus doesn't because it's version locked, but it's the author's choice.

New star system is a lot of work and not exactly profitable if released as a free update.

18 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Check my signature.

These constant updates happen every few months and at this point of development changes are mostly cosmetic, so most mods work even after an update. Kopernicus doesn't because it's version locked, but it's the author's choice.

New star system is a lot of work and not exactly profitable if released as a free update.

They decided to version lock it because it would blow up saves if it was loaded on a incompatible version if i remember, but yeah i haven't had many mods that would straight up break on new versions. The move from 1.6.1 to 1.8 broke the most, but they went to DX11 and a new version of Unity. And 1.8.1 has been wonderful; still don't know how they broke mirror symmetry in 1.8 though o.o.

And i don't really think it would be profitable even if it was DLC tbh

4 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

i'd be content with them just not introducing more bugs with every release

Tradition is important to some companies.  Some people put presents under the tree for Christmas.  Others light candles and chant in Latin.  Squad releases bugs on update day.  Don't deride their traditions.

Edited by klgraham1013

If you got KSP through Steam then copy the entire game to another location so Steam can't touch it. I did that when KSP 1.8 came out and trashed my 1.7.3 saves (because Kopernicus) and haven't looked back since. If you didn't get KSP through Steam, you should STILL copy the game to another location so it will stay put and not update (probably).

You can have as many copies of KSP as you like and I currently have eight separate instances, seven of them running through CKAN and on three different versions (1.7.3, 1.8.1 and 1.9.1) and then Steam sits there with the stock game so that I get the updates but it doesn't affect the games I'm actually playing, ruin saves, break mods etc. It's also good because I have separate, clean versions to test new mods, isolate/replicate bugs and so on. Besides your hard drive space, there's no limit to the number of KSP instances you can have and Steam will let you download pretty much any version you like if you go to KSP > Properties > Betas.

You should also look up CKAN, it makes using mods a million times* easier by tracking versions, flagging updates and automatically marking mods and versions of mods that will fit the version of KSP you're using. It can keep track of many different KSP instances on many different versions at the same time, adding or removing mods is as easy as clicking a tick box in a list, but not all mods are on CKAN and if the mod author gets the versioning wrong it can sometimes flag incompatible versions as being compatible, or say mods aren't compatible when they actually are but haven't been marked as such. I was initially skeptical about it and the UI looks like it was made for windows 2000, but it's actually simple to use and well worth the effort to get it up and running. (* approximate values only, no liability accepted for inaccurate figures or indeed anything else :P).

12 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

The performance increases from 1.6.1 to 1.7.3 to 1.8.1 to 1.9 i'd take over another rock any day. At this point i'd be content with them just not introducing more bugs with every release, and fixing the persistent ones that still linger. KSP2 will focus on interplanetary travel and near future technologies, so if you want a "Stock" experience with other planets that'll do.

Believe me, I'm highly anticipating KSP 2. lol

I have to agree with the original post. I was playing a 1.3.1 install, with a bunch of mods. The performance is rather bad, but the mods make the gameplay a whole lot better. Now I've moved to 1.9.1 and the performance is nice, but several mods have issues, do not work, have changed for the worse, or other. 

And so I have to agree that the people working at Squad have had enough time to implement these sometimes fantastic improvements that some mods bring. I'm thinking of KAS, KIS, MKS, base building, interface improvements, a better tech tree, and more. The minor improvements that the current DLC offer is rather disappointing.

I have to agree, somewhat, but imho 1.9 is the best KSP I've ever played since 1.3-1.4, but I miss a couple mods too. As some have pointed out, copy your ksp folder, and with steam there are 2 more things one can do about the updates:

1. in steam set it to update only when you start it, launch it with the ksp.exe or a shortcut.

2. you can revert to any ksp version in steam and copy that ksp folder too if you need some specific ksp version

KSP is really easy to set up as multi version install by just copying the folder. Any of you play Skyrim? When Skyrim updates, SSKE (a plugin engine) is version locked too like Kopernicus, every mod that depends on it **** up and you can't play the modded game at all until it is updated.

Unfortunately, the reason that Kopernicus for 1.9.1 is taking so long (and why fixing it yourself is not trivial this time) is that Squad finally cleaned up a big, long-standing crock in the rendering system. It should have been done while the game was still in alpha, but alas... That's why I'm hoping KSP2 will have a better start. KSP1 devs are, right now, mostly cleaning up messes left by the previous dev team, or the team that came before the previous one. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.