... when did you get the game?  

99 members have voted

1. 1.

• 0.8-0.16
    • 0.17-0.19
    • 0.20-0.25
    • 0.90-1.4
    • 1.5-1.9
    • LITERALLY THE FUTURE \ haven’t gotten the game (why :/)
    • KSP2
  2. 2. Demos

at the time of writing, I’m reminiscing at the times before contracts. I joined in 0.23 which apparently is before a lot of people I talk to on these forums joined. So... yeah. If you have specifics feel free to tell which version and what you reminisce abt

remember when 1.1 came out and changed everything? Or CommNet’s introduction.

back when people used the Mission Builder.

Edited by HansonKerman
In preparation for KSP2, added another option

34 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

remember when 1.1 came out and changed everything?

Remember when planets came out? Or docking? EVA? Multiple save files? Minmus?

0.8-0.19 is a pretty large bucket.

I can remember when KAC's "Jump to vessel and restore maneuver node" button was necessary.

I can remember having to turn off SAS to turn the ship.

I can remember when persistent save files were added.

I can recall getting bored and quitting for a few months until what is now called Science Mode was introduced.

I can remember when gliders were taking off and flying without any motor, and even could reach the orbit without spending a gram of fuel.

I can remember the lakes. Pretty, beautiful ugly, but useful lakes to the West from KSC. Why did they dry them??? They were so good to test rovers.

Edited by kerbiloid

Back in 0.8, when the fuel tank textures looked like something out of a PS2 game and they were called FLT500s not 400s... I promptly forgot about the game once it came out of 'free' phase and eventually repurchased it in July 2017. Naturally, I had no clue what to do. I think it was 1.1 or 1.2.2 by then. So I guess I had two 'first KSP versions'. 

Edited by SiriusRocketry

Pretty sure I started on 0.19 (the new rover wheels of 0.20 are the first update I remember)

Bought the game a few weeks before the free DLC cutoff.
When I started, re-entry heating didn't exist, and End Flight would destroy your space station if you were careless enough to press it. The KSC was tiny, the parts looked very different.

Mods were on Spaceport; B9 aerospace and the escape pod mod are the main ones I remember, also one called LASER but they spelled it differently. It had afterburners and missiles.

I was watching Danny2462 and World War K (the creator once replied to my post, which was super exciting at the time, so I put it in my signature - it used to link to the thread but the forums changed)

Edited by Javster

April 2nd of 2016. Though I must confess. I was a dumb and stupid and played pirated copies regularly until I did buy it. Started playing those when 0.20 just came out and the pirates hadn't posted downloads yet. So 0.19 was my first version. Though I am happy I finally paid money for it. Best money I've spent on a game. I must say I remember being finding out the Spaceport was no longer when all my bookmarks to my favorite mods ended up dead. I still have them saved on that old laptop.

Was greatly inspired by Scott Manely's Reusable Space Program. 

And many of my first saves where used in my attempts to replicate it.

Note: Just decided to rewatch the series and remembered how painful the resources tab use to be.

Edited by C1arl
Thought of something else.

I first played a little bit with version 0.90, according to the Steam purchase date. I remember thinking it was a cool idea but still too roughly implemented, so I put it down for a while. I picked it back up again with 1.3 after I heard some friends talking about it, and haven't really put it back down again since. Took me a while to venture over here though; I spent more time on the subreddit at first.

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

I remember when they added contracts.

was that ever a game changer! I was surprised and excited.

2 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

wait no lol

On 4/12/2020 at 3:00 PM, Javster said:

When I started, re-entry heating didn't exist, and End Flight would destroy your space station if you were careless enough to press it. The KSC was tiny, the parts looked very different

End Flight would - what? Welp, thank goodness they removed that button.

Edited by HansonKerman

I played the demo for several months before purchasing in November 2012, version 17.1. Docking ports were introduced days later. That was a big deal. Not that I could dock for another month anyway. My favorite mod before the first versions of B9 aerospace were out was the NovaPunch collection, and I once designed an inverted pyramid rocket around the radius constraint posed by the tower. I don't think it made orbit. Karbonite was the bleeding edge of what mods were capable of when it came out. Hooligan labs airships and kerbal attachment system were fun to play with. I manually down-scaled textures to be able to load more mods in the 32 bit client.

I bought the game in March of 2013, right before 0.19 came out for my birthday as a junior in college, but had tried the demo a couple of months beforehand. I recall booting the game for the first time and finding there was another resource to manage now besides just fuel -- electricity. I remember my first time trying to land one of the scenario missions where you had a lunar lander on descent and had to finish the job. I sweated profusely watching my fuel tick down, then glancing back to the nav ball and altimeter just to worriedly notice my electricity usage with every keystroke, rinse and repeat the entire time. Actually I was able to get it down after the third attempt or so. Soon after I found the forum before the April 2013 purge, but didn't realize what gold I had in my hands. Scott Manley became a quick favorite and I loved watching his reusable space program and going interstellar series. Nassault and StreetlampPro were my go-to creators for cinematic videos and my favorite mods were Nova Punch, KW Rocketry, Kethane, and B9 back then of course! The update that sticks out most in my mind was 0.21 when the space center was revamped and honorable mention was when the science system and career were introduced. Ever since, I've always played career. I was always hyped for the complexity of the original resource chart that Harv created and recall waiting for every hype train thread to see if it was coming "soonTM". Ah, so much nostalgia. KSP has been one of the most positive and stand out events for me over the last 8 years and the KSP 2 announcement has me more hyped than ever to see people return to this game and universe.

My first version was 1.7.3 I think. I initially saw the game pop up on a Steam discovery list but I was running my home internet off a little 4G thingy so didn't have the data or the bandwidth to download it, and my laptop wouldn't have been able to run it anyway. Once I got real internet and a proper PC I found KSP again, got the DLCs when they were on sale and now I see maneuver nodes in my sleep...

[snip]

Yes, the Originals Jeb, Bill, and Bob, all with male names and male (60's astronaut) haircuts, were genderless.

There was quite an uproar on the forums in fact at the thought of sullying them with genders when adding of females was decided on (rightly) and implemented (perfectly).

Edited by Vanamonde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.