Lame Kerbal deaths

RoninFrog

for some reason, I once deorbited a large space station module. it went through reentry fine, but it lacked the parachutes to land safely, and around 3-6 kerbals died when their weak hitchhiker modules evaporated in the water, for some reason. of course the kerbals on the top were fine, and died right soon after while burning up in the atmosphere. :P

3 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

around 3-6 kerbals died when their weak hitchhiker modules evaporated in the water, for some reason.

Oh man.  That is the most frustrating thing ever, especially when the heat shield on the bottom of the hitchhiker survives. :mad:  I don't ever use hitchhikers for reentries anymore after some bad experiences involving several tourists.

I didn’t kill Jeb in this case, but it’s a somewhat interesting story. So I landed Jeb on the Mun, and I was walking him back to the lander to go home. I tried to make him jump onto the ladder, but he hit his head, flew backward, did a perfect backflip and landed on his feet. I couldn’t do this again if I tired. :(

On my first Laythe spaceplane test, I landed it, but it began to slide away. I forgot to put on the brakes. Jebediah ran after it, and I discovered if I did everything in 4x physwarp the plane would not update and it would not slide, until I changed the physwarp. I turned physwarp on and off to get the ladder to work correctly, but that just made the plane slide away more. It eventually caught on something and let me run to it. It continued for a kilometer until he vaporized as he ran.

I have another story from just 5 minutes ago.  A scientist named Dolen Kerman had landed in one of the big Mun craters next to a green monolith and anomaly probe at night.  Everything went great, I landed without anything exploding, got lots of science, planted a flag on top of the monolith (they don't actually give you a free tech node).  When I took off, I had a very high TWR so I accelerated to near orbital velocity very close to the surface.   I didn't notice that my trajectory just touched the crater rim and I didn't see the ground coming up quickly.  Suddenly, Dolen's pod exploded.  Nothing else exploded though.  The rest of the lander was completely intact and functional as it had a probe core.  Nothing else on the craft was broken.  Even the parachute that had been on top of Dolen's pod survived, although it was detatched from the lander.

10 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

I have another story from just 5 minutes ago.  A scientist named Dolen Kerman had landed in one of the big Mun craters next to a green monolith and anomaly probe at night.  Everything went great, I landed without anything exploding, got lots of science, planted a flag on top of the monolith (they don't actually give you a free tech node).  When I took off, I had a very high TWR so I accelerated to near orbital velocity very close to the surface.   I didn't notice that my trajectory just touched the crater rim and I didn't see the ground coming up quickly.  Suddenly, Dolen's pod exploded.  Nothing else exploded though.  The rest of the lander was completely intact and functional as it had a probe core.  Nothing else on the craft was broken.  Even the parachute that had been on top of Dolen's pod survived, although it was detatched from the lander.

Absolute Garbage. If you're gonna get killed in an explosion, it should be as spectacular and memorable as possible, and lead to the destruction of the entire spacecraft! :mad:

On 4/12/2020 at 10:16 AM, Dirkidirk said:

for some reason, I once deorbited a large space station module. it went through reentry fine, but it lacked the parachutes to land safely, and around 3-6 kerbals died when their weak hitchhiker modules evaporated in the water, for some reason. of course the kerbals on the top were fine, and died right soon after while burning up in the atmosphere. :P

Nice

Built a Mk3 cargo plane to fly around Kerbin using the 1200K airliner parts (Goliath engine, jumbo wings etc).  Managed to make it fly over Mach 1 so it suffered a lot of heating and red-hot wings, managed by radiators.  Landed, Bob got out to do some science, removed helmet, boarded a chair in the cargo area, and exploded from overheating.  RIP Bob.

Note to astronaut office: do not remove helmets while deployed

2 hours ago, fourfa said:

Built a Mk3 cargo plane to fly around Kerbin using the 1200K airliner parts (Goliath engine, jumbo wings etc).  Managed to make it fly over Mach 1 so it suffered a lot of heating and red-hot wings, managed by radiators.  Landed, Bob got out to do some science, removed helmet, boarded a chair in the cargo area, and exploded from overheating.  RIP Bob.

That is a truly exotic death.  Dying without high speeds or rapid changes in velocity is humiliating.

Edited by RoninFrog

The first time I ever killed a Kerbal was a long time ago, on 0.19, when I had a computer that could barely run the game at a handful of FPS.

I attached boosters to my rocket, but forgot to enable symmetry and didn't pan the camera because of the lag. So I launched, but with only one side booster and the rocket tipped over and crashed.

I hade a lander fully landed in water once, then before recovering I went back to base for some reason. When I reloaded the craft, it apparently started "sinking into the water" and went through too high speed submerging, making the tank and consequent lander above it go "poof".

Okay... So... My first Kerballed mission to the Mun for this career save.... Also, the first orbital flight made by a Kerballed craft....  Upon landing upon the Mun, the lander tipped onto its side. I unfortunately landed on a slope and I somehow didn't think that was a huge issue.... Until I couldn't right it.  No real biggie though, I'll just send an unkerballed lander to retrieve the crew. I have 24 days roughly (I use TAC Life Support) before the crew runs out of food, air, etc. I alter a lander in the build queue send it up, land it fairly close to the first lander and the lander tips over.. Again.... and part of the mid section of the lander explodes, separating the return capsule from its propulsion. 

Three Kerbals, I transfer the first- the scientist to the broken return ship.  I start flying the engineer over except I get him past 60m/s and upon decelerating to land, he meets the ground going too quickly and dies.... The pilot decides to try and scrape along the crater to get the original lander upright and said rocket scrapes along the surface until it explodes, killing him.... *Sigh*  I get another lander near to the broken capsule although I waste about 2km Dv getting it to a spot where the scientist can get to it. I get the scientist into the new return ship... It has just under 1km of Dv....  I figure that's plenty of fuel to get back to Kerbin, and so I attempted a direct ascent back to Kerbin as it's practically right over head.  Except apparently, I should have put the ship into a stable orbit around the mun because the engines cut out just before leaving the SOI of the Mun. So yeah, of the three Kerbals I sent to the Mun, none of them are returning.... >.< 

2 minutes ago, Fizwalker said:

Three Kerbals, I transfer the first- the scientist to the broken return ship.  I start flying the engineer over except I get him past 60m/s and upon decelerating to land, he meets the ground going too quickly and dies.... The pilot decides to try and scrape along the crater to get the original lander upright and said rocket scrapes along the surface until it explodes, killing him.... *Sigh*  I get another lander near to the broken capsule although I waste about 2km Dv getting it to a spot where the scientist can get to it. I get the scientist into the new return ship... It has just under 1km of Dv....  I figure that's plenty of fuel to get back to Kerbin, and so I attempted a direct ascent back to Kerbin as it's practically right over head.  Except apparently, I should have put the ship into a stable orbit around the mun because the engines cut out just before leaving the SOI of the Mun. So yeah, of the three Kerbals I sent to the Mun, none of them are returning.... >.<

The whole time I read this I was thinking, "F9! F9! F9! F9!"

2 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

The whole time I read this I was thinking, "F9! F9! F9! F9!"

Lol  I must be a masochist.... I disabled quick-loading

Edit: I ought to mention that when I say I got close to the disabled lander with the final one, I still spent about 2-3 hours running the Kerbal to the lander that will be the last Kerbal's tomb.

Edited by Fizwalker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.