Couple of my main ksp pain points I wonder if mods cover?

kfsone

Couple of my biggest problems with KSP could probably be addressed with a couple of simple tweaks:
- Is there a mod that makes finding parts ... sensible? Better filtering (only show me lf/ox engines; don't see a way in advanced to do that) and inline stats (I want to see dv, twr, isp, all at the same time or at the very least on the immediate mouse-over for easier comparison). Or an option to sort by dv, twr, isp and/or more than one at a time (that feels like too lazy for me, I'd be good enough looking thru a refined list rather than basically having it tell me "use that engine")
- Is there a mod that lets you eliminate docking ports during on-orbit assembly somehow?

I find myself caught between two strategies: A reasonable, fully-modular launch strategy: One launch for guidance, one launch for power, one launch for fuel tanks, one or more 'payload' launches (e.g one for isru, another for cooling). The catch is each sub-unit frequently requires ~2 docking ports, and docked parts seem to have the absolute worst impact on unpacking and physics performance, plus you're pushing redundant mass around.

The other is stupidly-overbuild: It's so easy to think "I'll just add this part" to a payload to try and avoid another launch/pair of ports, and for some reason going from a pair of fl-t800s to achieving 3000dv to a single fl-txi00 seems to cross you over some kind of dv valley of doom. If you don't catch that, now you've gone thru all the intermediates and replaced the fl-txi00 with an s3-144 and a mainsail. You're down to 1200dv and have no reaction wheels, adding mp-rcs drops your dv to 800; adding lf/ox-rcs doesn't drop your dv from the vab but it does in-flight.

So you take that "one more part" off the top stage and you can get the whole rig to your minmus station *and* recover the first stage using just 1.25m parts?

I get part of that is the real difficulty of launching to space, but the VAB just converts it from challenging to miserable.

Filter Extensions may be of some help for filtering parts, but I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that lets you sort them.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/168456-19x-filter-extensions-no-localization/

AFAIK docking ports are only performance sinks while they're unoccupied. Once joined they shouldn't be seeking for things to attach to.

On 4/12/2020 at 4:36 PM, Superfluous J said:

Check out Konstruction

Holy shame-on-me, batman. I have Konstruction installed but hadn't noticed the ports. See my issue about finding parts, lol ;)

8 hours ago, Rocket Witch said:

Filter Extensions may be of some help for filtering parts, but I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that lets you sort them.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/168456-19x-filter-extensions-no-localization/

AFAIK docking ports are only performance sinks while they're unoccupied. Once joined they shouldn't be seeking for things to attach to.

Right - so each extension I add tends to have one waiting on the end for the next unit, but there also seems to be a much bigger hit unpacking a vehicle related to how many connected parts you have. I've also found that my game gets progressively slower the more multiple-docked-component vehicles I visit. I can hop vab/launchpad, tracking/probe a lot of times, but hop to a 3+ docked units vehicle and every subsequent transition is significantly slower (multiple seconds per hop) :/ And eventually I get a stack mark crash. I tried running a totally clean install on a different OS partition without mods, and the same proved true for me.

Another option re: docking ports.  Doesn't remove the ports after use like Konstruction, but makes the CPU-heavy scan behaviour toggleable.  When toggled off, the ports should be no more laggy than any other part.  Worth a try, see if it makes a difference on an existing station rather than have to launch a whole new one with Konstruction parts

https://github.com/shadowmage45/DockingPortToggle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.