Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If you've played KSP for a while, you start to have a bunch of complaints and possible improvements build up. This is the place to let that all out. This is the place to rant about whatever (but please stay on topic). However, to keep this place sort of civilized, you must follow basic guidelines:

  • No harsh language
  • Must include evidence and/or comparison of idea
  • Must include logical reasoning

Other than that, I would love to hear your opinion on things.

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many many different shades of things that should be the same colour... like mismatched oranges and whites...

apart from that, my only complaints are about career mode (NEEDS mods to be played imo) and the lack of usefulness for space stations other than roleplay

oh, and the order some parts are unlocked in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 12:04 PM, Misguided_Kerbal said:

If you've played KSP for a while, you start to have a bunch of complaints and possible improvements build up. This is the place to let that all out.

Man do I have a lot of these.

-DLC
-Spyware
-Rampant memory leaks and other bugs that don't get fixed
-KSP 2 using the same game engine (unity)
-Not implementing the old barn models for the KSC
-Terrible, awful, indefensible EULA
-Still quite inflexible when it comes to modding
-Recent updates tend to be mediocre, rapidly pushed out and lack quality and content.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 6:09 AM, MR L A said:

and the lack of usefulness for space stations other than roleplay

SAME but I do enjoy a refueling depot and multi launch starships, especially with me liking to use GPP_Secondary, GEP, and OPM at once.

16 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

-Spyware
-Rampant memory leaks and other bugs that don't get fixed
-KSP 2 using the same game engine (unity)
-Not implementing the old barn models for the KSC
-Terrible, awful, indefensible EULA
-Still quite inflexible when it comes to modding
-Recent updates tend to be mediocre, rapidly pushed out and lack quality and content.

?¿? I have no problem with any of these??

????????? Also, KSP is pretty easy to mod... what game are you playing :confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites

can I also mention that some of my favorite parts were replaced? I liked the old FLTs, Terrier, Mainsail, the MK 1-2, Jumbo, NCS Nose Cone....

 

sigh

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Misguided_Kerbal said:

TBH that's why I got restock.

you didn’t like them? I’ve only ever used Restock/Ven’s revamp for a few things. 
 

*i also likes the Mk1

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 2:20 AM, Clockwork13 said:

Man do I have a lot of these.

-DLC
-Spyware
-Rampant memory leaks and other bugs that don't get fixed
-KSP 2 using the same game engine (unity)
-Not implementing the old barn models for the KSC
-Terrible, awful, indefensible EULA
-Still quite inflexible when it comes to modding
-Recent updates tend to be mediocre, rapidly pushed out and lack quality and content.

- DLC is decent way for studios to keep alive.
- The "spyware" thread is dead and gone, and if you don't believe it just block it (and if you don't know how to block it you have a much deeper issue with "spyware").
- I've not noticed any rampant memory leaks in the base game despite playing for several hours without any significant increase of memory foot print.
- KSP2 seems, so far, to be using some version of Unity.
- No, but the very small minority that cares about the barn simply doesn't count.
- The EULA isn't worse than almost any game out there.
- Still more flexible when it comes to modding than most other games.
- Recent updates has dealt with the issues that has hindered the majority.

So, all in all Sir, I'm sad to say, you don't have a case.

.

Edited by Curveball Anders
Noticed that I had missed one point
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 6:07 PM, Curveball Anders said:

- DLC is decent way for studios to keep alive.
- The "spyware" thread is dead and gone, and if you don't believe it just block it (and if you don't know how to block it you have a much deeper issue with "spyware").
- I've not noticed any rampant memory leaks in the base game despite playing for several hours without any significant increase of memory foot print.
- KSP2 seems, so far, to be using some version of Unity.
- No, but the very small minority that cares about the barn simply doesn't count.
- The EULA isn't worse than almost any game out there.
- Still more flexible when it comes to modding than most other games.
- Recent updates has dealt with the issues that has hindered the majority.

So, all in all Sir, I'm sad to say, you don't have a case.

KSP was supposedly doing fine financially before they introduced DLC, which """coincidentally""" started coming out at around the time they were bought out. I would much rather have had them simply raise the base price of the game in exchange for the DLC content being free.
Uh what??? I think you missed my point entirely because I have no idea what you are talking about. I was referring to the intrusive telemetry present in newer versions of the game.
I seem to recall the aircraft hangar having a pretty nasty one. I haven't played KSP (or used the hangar) in a while so maybe it got fixed.
My main issue with reusing Unity is that they're missing a lot of opportunities to improve the game. Especially with the extra DLC money they're bringing in not to mention being owned by a massive corporation, I'm sure they could've afforded to create it from scratch and have a much better end product. While I don't think KSP 2 will be bad, I expect that it will be very similar to KSP 1 but with some engine changes that will allow for some extra functionality. Unity can be extremely buggy and its physics engine was directly responsible for a number of the "Kraken" physics bugs present in the game.
Not an argument
While this isn't true, it first must be stated EULA's as a whole are a violation of users' rights and should always be condemned when games use them. Most of the time they just say the usual stuff such as no distributing copies of the game or reverse engineering it, but KSP uses a blanket EULA used for other T2 games that gives them permission to collect a bunch of sensitive info that they don't need. Furthermore, Take Two's EULA also contains a highly anti-consumer binding arbitration clause, which basically means that you essentially can't sue them for anything, ever (well you can, but it's guaranteed to go nowhere), and it instead goes through an arbitration process that almost always sides with the company. This practice is so egregious that it's banned in most countries outside of the US.
Doesn't address my point
Most of what I've seen with the recent updates is a few new parts or reskins for old parts. They don't add much in the way of gameplay like older updates did. Honestly I think they're just doing it so the community doesn't stagnate before KSP 2 comes out.

Edited by Clockwork13
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Generic username said:

There needs to be more coloration for rockets, red, blue, purple, ect.  It would look awesome to have say, a blue station.

*cough* Colored Lights *cough*

Am I coming down with Covid?

Link to post
Share on other sites

my complaints are I guess are suggestions, that will likely never be implemented but hey, ill share!

1. Fairings.. ugh, I honestly, and I mean I honestly cannot stand the stock implementation of fairings. I have 0 clue if its being maintained (on spacedock . info, all I can find are some retextures for the mod, and on curseforge doesn't seem to have this mod> but a mod called Procedural Fairings <I used to live by this mod, as well as a few others back in the day> was in my honest opinion the gold standard of what fairings should be in this game. What we got, was and still is, in my honest opinion just a right horrid mess. It defaults to potato chip exploding fairings <unrealistic and yea, I know, ksp isn't exactly the model of full realism and that's a good bit of charm for it, but still lol> instead of being a clam shell style <irritating to me, my opinion of course, to have to constantly click that box to make it be clam shell>, and the fact it is not procedural makes making the fairing itself a temperamental mess <again, my opinion>. Why they did not go with a procedural style is beyond me, but, it is what it is I guess.

2. For those who did not know this there is a bit of code that was actually placed into the game for a realistic style of plasma trail. I first learned of this from Kottabos Games on youtube in this video: A wonderful video showing the original Re-Entry Particle Effect mod. It was last updated around KSP 1.6 or so. Some while ago, it was taken over and brought back to us by @leatherneck6017 You can learn more about Re-Entry Particle Effects here, as well as find a link to the current version. Now, onto the complaint <is it a complaint or just making note of something at this point? I honestly do not know lol> : This effect has never been turned on officially even though the code is already in the game. My understanding is that the effect is an extension and recoloring <honestly the video linked above will explain this better> of the plume. The original reason given for Squad not turning it on had something to do with PC capabilities back then <this was a few years ago now>. Now, with PC's being far far more powerful by a few orders of magnitude the fact this bit of code is still there but not on baffles me, but, at least we have a mod that turns it on. I hope we see this turned on in KSP 2.

3. Mechjeb. I personally will not run KSP with out this lovely mod. It gives you the ability to automate missions to a degree and takes the tedium out of performing the same task multiple times by having you just give it commands through its various interfaces along the way. Some hate this  mod, others are ambivalent about it, others like me swear by it. Yea it can be buggy at times and do funky things, but, for me, that just adds a kerbal twist to things. Ok what exactly is my complaint? Well, its that this mod isn't a stock feature. I think it should be, but, that's my opinion. 

Well, that's my lil list. It is what it is, and some will agree, others will not. Thus this is the way it is. I accept that people play how they play, and like or dislike what they will. I hope you enjoyed the read of what is currently churning in my head on this subject. as Scott Manley says: Fly safe!

 

posted originally at 2239 central on 4212020

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

my complaints are I guess are suggestions, that will likely never be implemented but hey, ill share!

1. Fairings.. ugh, I honestly, and I mean I honestly cannot stand the stock implementation of fairings. I have 0 clue if its being maintained (on spacedock . info, all I can find are some retextures for the mod, and on curseforge doesn't seem to have this mod> but a mod called Procedural Fairings <I used to live by this mod, as well as a few others back in the day> was in my honest opinion the gold standard of what fairings should be in this game. What we got, was and still is, in my honest opinion just a right horrid mess. It defaults to potato chip exploding fairings <unrealistic and yea, I know, ksp isn't exactly the model of full realism and that's a good bit of charm for it, but still lol> instead of being a clam shell style <irritating to me, my opinion of course, to have to constantly click that box to make it be clam shell>, and the fact it is not procedural makes making the fairing itself a temperamental mess <again, my opinion>. Why they did not go with a procedural style is beyond me, but, it is what it is I guess.

I actually like drawing my own fairings. Also, the stock fairings actually ARE procedural. The procedure just involves the user determining the shape. What you want are actually AUTOMATIC fairings.

I also dislike the exploding fairings, and change them to clamshell with a module manager config.

Quote

3. Mechjeb. I personally will not run KSP with out this lovely mod. It gives you the ability to automate missions to a degree and takes the tedium out of performing the same task multiple times by having you just give it commands through its various interfaces along the way. Some hate this  mod, others are ambivalent about it, others like me swear by it. Yea it can be buggy at times and do funky things, but, for me, that just adds a kerbal twist to things. Ok what exactly is my complaint? Well, its that this mod isn't a stock feature. I think it should be, but, that's my opinion. 

Ew that would be on my complaint list if it was in the game. :D

My preferred way to eliminate drudgery would be to shove it in the background. Why click a few buttons several times each and then sit on your hands for the remainder of the dozens of minutes that your refueling ship takes to get to orbit, dock, unload, and go back down to land at the drilling base, when the game could just figure out how much fuel you can get to that station a day and then do it for you automatically?

Also, that not being in the game? That's my actual complaint in this post :)

Edited by Superfluous J
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Superfluous J I just miss the ability to put a fairing base on, select the fairing shape <cone or rounded> then placing it on the node and letting IT shape and reshape that fairing as I edit the payload. oo a MM config, where can I find such a tasty MM config? im sick of that irritating clicking thing, id like to join your side of the fence please :D

I loves me some good mechjeb I do :D Like I said, we all like what we like right :) But, seriously man, if you can point me at that config or pm me a link to it that would be super awesome sauce!!

 

0020 4222020

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

where can I find such a tasty MM config?

There is a thread full of little MM configs that make things better (or worse depending on your opinion, and then you can just ignore those ones) but it's pretty old now and I can't remember the name.

EDIT: I think it's here:

But anyway I got this and several others from that thread.

// Default fairings to Clamshell
// Author: Alshain
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleProceduralFairing]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleProceduralFairing]
	{
		useClamshell = true
		ejectionForce = 1000
	}
}

Here's the rest I use personally:

// Empty monopropellant from new pods/cockpits
// Author: Unknown
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],@RESOURCE[MonoPropellant]]:FINAL
{
  @RESOURCE[MonoPropellant] 
        {
            @amount = 0
        }
}

// Configure RCS to Translate Only by Default
// Author: Snark
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]
	{
		%enableYaw = false
		%enablePitch = false
		%enableRoll = false
	}
}

//Default Hibernate in Warp to Auto
//Author: Alshain
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#hasHibernation[True]]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleCommand] 
	{
		%hibernateOnWarp = true
	}
}

// Kerbal have lights on when starting EVA
// Author: slubman
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[KerbalEVA]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[KerbalEVA]
	{
		%lampOn = true
	}
}

// Add angle snapping to Squad Docking ports (12 increments as on textures)
// Author: Psycho_zs
@PART[dockingPortLateral|dockingPort2|dockingPort3|mk2DockingPort|dockingPortLarge|dockingPort1]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
	{
		// If you want X degrees margin, use cos(0.5*X) as captureMinRollDot
		// 0.5 degrees = 0.99999048
		// 1 degree    = 0.99996192
		// 2 degrees   = 0.9998477
		// 3 degrees   = 0.99965732
		captureMinRollDot = 0.999
		snapRotation = true
		snapOffset = 30
	}
}

//Fix astronaut cost to 100,000 with no increase. NEEDS CUSTOM BARN KIT INSTALLED.
@CUSTOMBARNKIT
{
	@ASTRONAUTS
	{
		@recruitHireBaseCost = 100000
		@recruitHireFixedRate = true
	}
}

//Swap EVA with Crew Report for easier collection.
@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#id[evaReport]]:FINAL
{
	@baseValue = 5
	@scienceCap = 5
	@biomeMask = 7
}
@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#id[crewReport]]:FINAL
{
	@baseValue = 8
	@scienceCap = 8
	@biomeMask = 23
}

 

Edited by Superfluous J
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

My preferred way to eliminate drudgery would be to shove it in the background. Why click a few buttons several times each and then sit on your hands for the remainder of the dozens of minutes that your refueling ship takes to get to orbit, dock, unload, and go back down to land at the drilling base, when the game could just figure out how much fuel you can get to that station a day and then do it for you automatically?

I agree on this point.  I would love to see a function (or mod) that allows you to create the necessary craft, perform a mundane task once (like lifting fuel from a base to an orbiting station), then sets up a repeating "trade-route" as long as the assets remain in place.  I prefer to focus on the mission planning and ship design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Superfluous J this may be a silly question but, i admit to a near 0 level of coding knowledge, so, do i just take that bit about the fairings in the first quote and copy/paste it into mm or is there more to it?

 

0306 04222020

Assuming you have modulemanager installed (who doesn't?) then all you need to do is copy all the text in that code block, then create a text file anywhere in Gamedata (I made a folder for myself named "00Mine" just to keep things organized but anywhere in Gamedata is fine) named anything at all so long as it ends in ".cfg" and then paste the text into it. Just make sure you get all the text and don't miss a } or anything like that.

Oh and watch out, Windows loves to trick you with extensions and name it something like "fairings.cfg.txt" and that WILL NOT WORK. It has to end in ".cfg"

But other than those minor caveats yeah, it's that simple. Modulemanager will find it if it's named anything.cfg and will apply it and you'll have happy fairings.

 

Edited by Superfluous J
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Superfluous J thanks a bunch! I just named the text file clam.cfg because, well it was easy :D it didn't seem to rename it with a .txt so, I think im safe. if not, ill examine that txt file again and adjust as needed. Hopefully that helps me with one less menial task in the building of rockets :)

@KerbolExplorer I myself didn't mind the orange poodle engine. thought it was cute. Honestly, I like having parts that share a similar design style.

 

232404222020

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.

I'd like to complain about the parts selection menu. I've been playing this game for a long time now, yet i can't get over how counter-intuitive that menu is. That problem has been further emphasized with the games growth.

Firstly, the order makes no sense whatsoever.

In older versions you had a kind of color-coding going on, and that helped a bit:

Tg8Qley.jpg

By the texture styles, you could instantly recognize which part is of which diameter.

Now the current menu. Let's say i'm selecting a rocket tank:

bS1dYKi.jpg

The order makes no sense, and there's little to suggest the part's diameter. :o:o:o I need to go through each tank until i find the correct one. 

Previously, the challenge was to design your rocket, and navigate outer space. Nowadays, navigating the parts menu is a challenge and a mini-game in itself! 

The problem would disappear if for example, the tank selection, looked like this:

FBUOP49.jpg

p.s. i know about the part categories/filters. Maybe i'm just being thick, but all they do is make it difficult in a different way.

Edited by Overfloater
No it wasn't.
Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...