d3d11: failed to create 2D texture shader

Playing a heavily modded RSS / RO game. Id say the game starts about 25% of the time. The other times it will load until the first black screen with the loading icon in the bottom right corner and freeze after a few seconds and become unresponsive. Ive had success deleting the module manager cache and relaunching the game but this is also unreliable. When it does load, everything is fine so im a bit confused. If anyone could have a look and tell me any glaring issues from the log, that would be massively helpful.

Edit: Done some digging and my player.log file indicates lots of d3d11 issues. I've done a bit of research and this is a unity issue some say is caused when too many models are loaded simultaneously and graphics memory is overloaded. My graphics card is 6GB so this does surprise me. I've done system wide driver updates and tried forcing the game to run in OpenGL but this led to crashes in the VAB. I've heard running XMP profiles may cause it, so that's my next thing to try.

Any help / suggestions much appreciated,

Qwarkk.

Edited by Qwarkk

2 minutes ago, Qwarkk said:

Playing a heavily modded RSS / RO game. Id say the game starts about 25% of the time. The other times it will load until the first black screen with the loading icon in the bottom right corner and freeze after a few seconds and become unresponsive. Ive had success deleting the module manager cache and relaunching the game but this is also unreliable. When it does load, everything is fine so im a bit confused. If anyone could have a look and tell me any glaring issues from the log, that would be massively helpful.

Much appreciated,

Qwarkk.

Do not post ksp.log as most of the time it gets rid of really important stuff. Instead submit the file shown (by @NathanKell):

• Windows:
    - 1.8 or newer:
     %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log
    - 1.7.3 or older:
    KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or
    KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit) or
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt

• Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'Reports'. Scroll down the list and find the one which says "Log Reports", click that.  A list of files will be displayed in the top part of the window, in there will be Player.Log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log ).  Right-click on it and select "Reveal in Finder".

• Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

On 4/17/2020 at 11:07 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Have you tried updating your graphics driver? That solved a d3d11 error that was causing graphics crashes for me.

Yeah my drivers are all up to date, double checked today.

• 2 weeks later...

The only way I've found to address this is to set the texture resolution to full in the settings - Unity doesn't like compressing textures if they're not a power of 2 (see https://forum.unity.com/threads/d3d11-failed-to-create-2d-texture.392286/https://answers.unity.com/questions/1436516/xbox-unity-d3d11-failed-to-create-2d-texture-to-gf.html, etc). If you're unable to start the game to do this, you can change TEXTURE_QUALITY in settings.cfg to 0. The extra RAM usage sucks but at least it now works perfectly on my 1050ti with 4GB VRAM.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:57 PM, Qwarkk said:

Edit: Done some digging and my player.log file indicates lots of d3d11 issues. I've done a bit of research and this is a unity issue some say is caused when too many models are loaded simultaneously and graphics memory is overloaded. My graphics card is 6GB so this does surprise me. I've done system wide driver updates and tried forcing the game to run in OpenGL but this led to crashes in the VAB. I've heard running XMP profiles may cause it, so that's my next thing to try.

Any help / suggestions much appreciated,

Qwarkk.

I am having the exact same issue, same messages in the log file, same point of freeze. Looking at my task manager during startup i see that at the last black loading screen before the Main Menu, my GPU memory goes all the way up to 7.8/8gb. I am playing with RSS without RO on 1.8.1 and never had this issue with ma JNSQ playthrough (also in 1.8.1 with a similar mod loadout). If you find a solution, please let me know ;)

4 hours ago, Columbo said:

I am having the exact same issue, same messages in the log file, same point of freeze. Looking at my task manager during startup i see that at the last black loading screen before the Main Menu, my GPU memory goes all the way up to 7.8/8gb. I am playing with RSS without RO on 1.8.1 and never had this issue with ma JNSQ playthrough (also in 1.8.1 with a similar mod loadout). If you find a solution, please let me know ;)

I'm afraid I never did find a consistent solution. It actually pushed me to finally get a faster CPU and since then the problem has largely gone. The game now only fails to load once every 10 or so tries. As far as im aware, its a problem with the game trying to load too many models all at once and the pc memory just cant hack it. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

On 5/4/2020 at 11:52 PM, Qwarkk said:

I'm afraid I never did find a consistent solution. It actually pushed me to finally get a faster CPU and since then the problem has largely gone. The game now only fails to load once every 10 or so tries. As far as im aware, its a problem with the game trying to load too many models all at once and the pc memory just cant hack it. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I resorted to completely starting over with a clean install and adding all the mods, never more than 2 or 3 at a time, and testing the startup. Took me hours but now i have all the same mods and the game starts normal. (at least it did yesterday, who knows what happens a day later ;)). I don't know why it works now, but i guess something must have gone wrong before. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.