The KK-Prize - 200% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

5LlWWej.png

KK-Prize signature badge here

The KK-Prize challenge takes upon inspiration from the K-Prize challenge, and takes it up a notch. Your job is to make a spaceplane that can get to orbit, land, then achieve orbit again, and then land again. Basically, the K-Prize times 2. Please provide some kind of proof, preferably images or a video. All who succeed will be listed below, and extra kudos if you manage to complete one of the extra awards.

Rules

1. No stages can be lost or detached, all parts must remain intact from the launch to the second landing.

2. All parts must be stock. This helps keep it simple.

3. May only use the fuel aboard the craft at launch, ie, no refueling via docking or ISRU.

4. Craft must come to a complete wheel stop before attempting second orbit.

Extra Awards

1. Land on KSC grounds (picture required). Rangefinder Award

2. Land on the KSC runway (picture required). Sniper Award

3. Fastest time (before time and landed time required, MET). Speedster Award

4. Lightest craft (weight info required, weight must be craft fully loaded with fuel). Feather Award

5. Heaviest craft (weight info required, weight must be craft fully loaded with fuel). Brick Award

6. Half tanks (fuel capacity info required). Half Award

7. Cheapest craft (cost fully loaded with fuel). Cheapskate Award

8. Doesn't use NERVAs or RAPIERs (picture required). Purist Award

9. Exits Kerbin SOI at least once (picture required). Stargazer Award

10. Completes at least 7 other extra awards in one entry. Perfectionist Award

Honor Roll

@sevenperforce - first entry, kudos! Feather Award, Brick Award 

@ralanboyle - Feather Award, Sniper Award, Rangefinder Award

@Pro100kerbonaut - Feather Award, Sniper Award, Rangefinder Award, Cheapskate Award

Rangefinder Award

@ralanboyle

@Pro100kerbonaut

Sniper Award

@ralanboyle

@Pro100kerbonaut

Speedster Award

@Pro100kerbonaut 1:18:01

@ralanboyle 1:18:47

Feather Award

@Pro100kerbonaut 11.869 tonnes

@ralanboyle  27.2 tonnes

@sevenperforce 68.78 tonnes

Brick Award

@sevenperforce 68.78 tonnes

Half Award

Nobody yet

Cheapskate Award

@Pro100kerbonaut 17,970 funds

@ralanboyle 46,290 funds

Purist Award

Nobody yet

Stargazer Award

Nobody yet

Perfectionist Award

Nobody yet

Gatecrashers

Spoiler

LOL comic sans hahahaha :sticktongue:

Dodged the Bouncers

GVpxiKp.png

@Dman Revolution didn't read the title correctly.

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

My ship has hit orbit a second time with 25% of my props remaining...lemme see if I can get to orbit a third time.

UPDATE: Ended up 178 m/s shy of a third orbit with my SSTO on the first test flight, so I am pretty sure I can get there if I clean up my ascent profiles, remove one of my intakes, and perhaps throw on a little extra fuel. I was sporty off the runway at launch so I should be able to handle a little more weight. 68.78 tonnes with twelve engines and a fair amount of clipping. 

screenshot2.png

Edited by sevenperforce

This is from the og k-prize thread, the next post has the mission logs. I think by the time I stopped posting I had hit 15 missions.

Edit: guess I didnt read the full header. This refueled after each mission, so I guess it'd be a gatecrasher lol

Edited by Dman Revolution

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Quick question: what does this mean? Does it mean launching initially with half of all tanks emptied?

Basically, yeah. To proof it, you take a screenshot of your total fuel capacity, and then you take a screenshot of the craft loaded with half fuel.

Alright; I have created my video submission. It weighs 27.2T at take off and comes to a stop on the runway at 1:18:47. 

I was looking for @sevenperforce's submission so that I would know which awards I get but I can't find it, maybe it got deleted when the other posts were deleted. @sevenperforce, can you link to the video or photos of your flight please? Thanks. 

4 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Alright; I have created my video submission. It weighs 27.2T at take off and comes to a stop on the runway at 1:18:47. 

I was looking for @sevenperforce's submission so that I would know which awards I get but I can't find it, maybe it got deleted when the other posts were deleted. @sevenperforce, can you link to the video or photos of your flight please? Thanks. 

Good Job! but if feels a little cheaty to me. After the first orbit, you should come to a complete wheel stop before doing the second orbit. I'll make an exception for this though, because I never mentioned that. I added a new rule for it though. You earned the Rangefinder Award, the Sniper Award, the Feather award, the Cheapskate Award, and the Speedster Award. Also, sevenperforce's submission is near the top. Just scroll up. It's still there for me.

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

6 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Mine is still above but I haven't actually submitted more than a photo in the hangar yet. I am going for three orbits. You have the lighter craft by far -- mine started around 60 tonnes and is now up at 100 tonnes.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

Mine is still above but I haven't actually submitted more than a photo in the hangar yet. I am going for three orbits. You have the lighter craft by far -- mine started around 60 tonnes and is now up at 100 tonnes.

Wait, are you planning on submitting two craft? Or do you just want me to change the stuff?

14 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Wait, are you planning on submitting two craft? Or do you just want me to change the stuff?

My first submission was just a test flight of a design intended to reach orbit three times. It did reach orbit twice (and made it over 90% of the way to orbit on a third attempt), so it qualifies for the challenge, but I didn't document everything by photo yet so I am not sure if it counts.

14 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

My first submission was just a test flight of a design intended to reach orbit three times. It did reach orbit twice (and made it over 90% of the way to orbit on a third attempt), so it qualifies for the challenge, but I didn't document everything by photo yet so I am not sure if it counts.

Well, I guess it counts. I'll take your word for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.