Let's All Land Together

So now that there have been a  number of ingenious entries, here is what I was able to do.  150 pods all reentering at the same time.  It can easily be expanded to whatever number of pods I'd like.

Each pod includes the Mk 1 passenger compartment, a probe core, heat shield and parachute.  I could have removed the probe core from all except one, but it was easier to not to do so.

I am not entering this in my own challenge, I don't think it would be fair.  This is mainly to show that I am able to do it, but had wanted to wait until others had shown how they would do it.

6 hours ago, vyznev said:

Of course, this score is quite easy to beat: just build a bigger basket.

Well, I thought a smaller basket would be the way to go, so this entry is even more underhanded than the last.

2 pods, 1.7m separation, 3043 cost, 12 parts.

Adjusted cost - 0.2587
Adjusted parts - 0.0102

The first time I did this, I got a 1.5m separation but the goal was less than 1m. I suppose I could have left the second one on top but that didn't really seem right.

On the other end of the scale, I'll see those 150 pods and raise you 5. Along with a 31 Rhino SSTO and a 1098m separation on the ground.

Something bizarre is happening with the middle platform. All The other pods land in a pretty tight bunch but those 5...all I can think of is to leave that platform vacant. Plus things are starting to happen in slo-mo and I don't think I've got the patience to go any bigger right now.

155 Mk1 pod group landing.

Edited by mystifeid

It takes patience, but building a cradle that keeps the pods together on landing gets points.  Here the max distance from one outer pod to the opposite is 1.6m.  

PtR8xDe.png

Jp7h3Vt.png

1. Start off with 10 points for each command pod with one or more occupants = 50 (+ 5 for launching) = 55.
  2. For each pod destroyed during reentry, subtract 20 =0 
  3. Measure (if possible) the distance between the two most seperated pods, distance to be in Km = .0016 km
  4. Divide the score by the distance apart in Km = 55 / .0016 = 34375
  5. Take the total cost and divide by the score to get the adjusted cost = 5360 / 34375 = 0.156
  6. Take the total number of parts and divide by (score / 10) to get the adjusted parts = 30 / 3437.5 = 0.0087
Edited by jinnantonix

4 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Something bizarre is happening with the middle platform. All The other pods land in a pretty tight bunch but those 5...all I can think of is to leave that platform vacant. Plus things are starting to happen in slo-mo and I don't think I've got the patience to go any bigger right now.

Might be SAS-related. You could try turning SAS off (or switching to stability assist mode) before separation.

On my non-basket runs I found that the active pod would start drifting apart from the others if I kept SAS locked to retrograde. Apparently that's because the active pod stayed in retrograde mode, but the others automatically switched to stability assist. Since the pods are aerodynamically stable and will hold surface retrograde just fine even without SAS, I just turned it off entirely before staging. :)

I'm not sure why you're getting more than one pod flying off, though. :/  It might be because the ship is flexing slightly due to automatic control inputs, in which case turning SAS off might still help.

Edited by vyznev

357 Mk1 command pods in a group landing and formation descent.

(The recorded video was more than two and half hours long. A large amount has been removed and the rest is played at 8X speed. It may still seem slow.)

Not an all out assault but a decent nudge on the number of pods.

Pods - 357 (@ 11 pts)
Parts - 1610
Cost - 732499
Separation - 0.2081km

Adjusted Cost - 38.82
Adjusted Parts - 0.8531

Mistakes were made. Not a great score.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:32 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes.  Cost and part count are without the boosters.

Got my revised figures:

Adjusted cost: 9731.3

Adjusted parts: 123.9

Not a whole lot better, but that was with a whole bunch of mission-related junk all over the craft. And it was fun. I'm sure people can go even bigger than those already posted, but I'm good with my humble offering.

8 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Not an all out assault but a decent nudge on the number of pods.

Pods - 357 (@ 11 pts)
Parts - 1610
Cost - 732499
Separation - 0.2081km

Adjusted Cost - 38.82
Adjusted Parts - 0.8531

Mistakes were made. Not a great score.

The sound of those landings reminded me of making popcorn.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.