Developer Insights #3

MechBFP

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

They could have given us a bit of gameplay after nearly two months

I think that's their way to express "We are not ready". I'm kinda sad because of this, but that is understandable.

I love how they adressed the balance between crazy micromanagement and simple on the colonies. what even better is that enven though you may disagree with their choices of making colonies say "too easy" it seems like they will be making the process such as resource gathering extremly modable so that would be great.

Also, they did say "We all know that Kerbals just need cool suits, snacks, and something fun to crash." Could it be that there is going to be a sort of semi-simple life support system for keeping kerbals entertined on colonies? this would be awesome, but i could also see that this could be beyond the scope of the game. maybe it will be easily modable

Edited by justspace103

4 hours ago, justspace103 said:

Also, they did say "We all know that Kerbals just need cool suits, snacks, and something fun to crash." Could it be that there is going to be a sort of semi-simple life support system for keeping kerbals entertined on colonies?

I think they are just referring to the snack compartiment, visible inside ksp pods 

5 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

They could have given us a bit of gameplay after nearly two months

You know something is happening in the world ? They are giving us news, noticing us they are currently working and giving us more infos on ksp 2. [snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

28 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

Could it be that there is going to be a sort of semi-simple life support system for keeping kerbals entertined on colonies? this would be awesome, but i could also see that this could be beyond the scope of the game. maybe it will be easily moddable

that would be cool

5 minutes ago, Kaerbanogue said:

I think they are just referring to the snack compartiment, visible inside ksp pods 

hmmm

speaking of IVA, I do hope that IVA is still detailed and working

I eat this kind of stuff up. I love snapshots into developers' thought processes. Thanks!

I was a bit uncomfortable about the game becoming like Fallout 4 where every time you (or at least I) encountered a settlement there was almost a visceral reaction to the amount of micromanaging busywork required to keep them happy. Really? 20 new people arrived and not one of you thought to cobble together some beds for them? I like that the focus is staying on rockets and how colonies can help them, and not vice versa.

3 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

speaking of IVA, I do hope that IVA is still detailed and working

Yea boi that's my #1 most wanted feature. Did you know there is a very good mod for functionnal IVAs for KSP ?

Link in case: 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

They stuck with colonies.

yeah, they did... there is probably some joke here that I didn't catch.

Spoiler

what is happening in this thread!?!

Spoiler

I have spent all of my likes here. :P

Edited by Dirkidirk

1 hour ago, justspace103 said:

Also, they did say "We all know that Kerbals just need cool suits, snacks, and something fun to crash." Could it be that there is going to be a sort of semi-simple life support system for keeping kerbals entertined on colonies?

If you look at most of the big interplanetary/stellar ships they've shown in trailers so far, most of them have these triangular containers, this could be ore but I'm guessing its something like "snacks" that are necessary to keep kerbals alive for long periods of time. 

I'm glad they are putting a lot of thought into this mechanic. One of the biggest missing pieces was the "why" of landing rockets on all of the worlds in the original game, and the colony system will go a long way toward answering that question. Creating orbital drydocks and surface colonies with ACTUAL game mechanics driving them will be a joy! KSP2 when!? 

Edited by SkyHook

5 hours ago, Kaerbanogue said:

Yea boi that's my #1 most wanted feature. Did you know there is a very good mod for functionnal IVAs for KSP ?

you say that like they don’t exist. For a very long time, IVA’s blurry numbers were the only way to get AGL info. You can also control throttle, look at a bigger navball, check the atmosphere, etc. waiting for a staging and joystick button so that some mad lad will do an only stock iva playthrough in KSP2

9 hours ago, justspace103 said:

I love how they adressed the balance between crazy micromanagement and simple on the colonies. what even better is that enven though you may disagree with their choices of making colonies say "too easy" it seems like they will be making the process such as resource gathering extremly modable so that would be great.

Also, they did say "We all know that Kerbals just need cool suits, snacks, and something fun to crash." Could it be that there is going to be a sort of semi-simple life support system for keeping kerbals entertined on colonies? this would be awesome, but i could also see that this could be beyond the scope of the game. maybe it will be easily modable

I read that with hope as well. especially in the context of flying missions to make colonies self sufficient. How can they be self sufficient without something to run out of. 

This whole dev note fills me with hope for the game.

11 hours ago, Cokeblob11 said:

If you look at most of the big interplanetary/stellar ships they've shown in trailers so far, most of them have these triangular containers, this could be ore but I'm guessing its something like "snacks" that are necessary to keep kerbals alive for long periods of time. 

There may be more than just snacks. But also the necessary materials to create a colony, too.

Edited by OOM

We want players to build crazy orbital drydocks and mining colonies on stalactites.

I hope that's not a typo, because that means that some planets are going to be significantly more interesting than I expected.

(Spikes on the ground are stalagmites.  Spikes hanging from the ceiling of a cave are stalactites.)

6 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

you say that like they don’t exist. For a very long time, IVA’s blurry numbers were the only way to get AGL info. You can also control throttle, look at a bigger navball, check the atmosphere, etc. waiting for a staging and joystick button so that some mad lad will do an only stock iva playthrough in KSP2

I know that but I won't say IVAs are fonctionnal in KSP...

Try flying on instruments and you will know your pain ! :/  Personnaly I love aircrafts and clickable cockpits are my thing. Knowing speed, altitude and attitude precisely is necessary to fly properly an aircraft. Moreover with the current status of IVAs, trying to launch and land on the mun, for exemple, only in first person, without mods nor watching the map is harder in ksp than IRL ! (If you know how to use real-life spacecraft instruments)

But maybe someone whose gameplay is more focused on building than flying won't be bothered at all by the lack of instrumentations inside KSP pods. So I think that depends on your gameplay style...

21 minutes ago, HenryBlatbugIII said:

I hope that's not a typo, because that means that some planets are going to be significantly more interesting than I expected.

Wow I didn't see that ! We need caves, hope that's indeed a hint, not a typo !

1 hour ago, Kaerbanogue said:
1 hour ago, HenryBlatbugIII said:

Wow I didn't see that ! We need caves, hope that's indeed a hint, not a typo !

Uh umm, I'm just gonna point (again) at one piece of Developer Insights #1

In the meantime, we’re still hard at work in the radness mines, discovering and extracting new veins of totally sweet gameplay. I’m very sorry for this last sentence, but I’m leaving it in.

Call me crazy if that wasn't first hint.