[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

2 hours ago, WildLynx said:

But next dev build will require 1.2.0 or it will be intermediate build?

I'd be amazed if Ferram has the time to produce FAR builds with backwards compatibility with outdated versions of KSP. Doing so would vastly increase the effort and vastly increase the number of bugs.

In any case, testing new FAR with old mods isn't sensible. Doing so just makes it very much harder to decide where the bugs are coming from. The sensible method is to test FAR in a clean KSP installation, with new craft, and only those mods which FAR depends on. I understand, however, your reluctance to have to go to that much work at this stage. Better use your old installation for a few months, and keep your fingers crossed that all the mods you depend on will be updated!

Edited by softweir
Argh! Wrong mod creator! Self-Derp.

I'm quite surprised that the devs haven't integrated skin voxelisation to detect clipped part which shouldnt apply drag.

Stock aero is so glitchy the best SSTO are the one that just abuse it the most it's ridiculous.

Looking forward to FAR 1.2 but take your time ofc.

22 hours ago, ferram4 said:

@WildLynx: Sounds like it's the same issue that @Shadowmage made a PR for.  It should be fixed for the next release, but when I get a functional dev build up you should try that and see how it goes.

@Everyone Else: FAR dev build will be out soon-ish, as soon as I'm sure that everything functions properly enough to put up for testing and once KJR is in a working dev state so I can remove the effects of wobble from my testing.  Sorry about the delay, but patience.  I'd like to avoid having to do half a dozen patches to fix all the NaNs slipping into the aero calcs like the last few times.

Don't worry about the time, i wont play without your mod as i'm sure many others have the same feeling.  We rely on your mod and would rather it be bugless rather than have to wait even longer on fixes.  Thank you for all the excellent development and i can't wait to fly again with FAR

On 10/12/2016 at 7:10 AM, Blasty McBlastblast said:

I say: stick with stock aero for now, and when @ferram4 is ready you will appreciate FAR even more for having played without it :) (kind of like hiding your toys in November so your Christmas pressies seem even more awesome!!)

ive always waited until my entire mod list was updated before starting a career since many mods add parts that can change after an update and break existing craft saves. so my question is would it be safe to start a career now and add FAR in later or would i risk breaking my save?

Edited by Jagzeplin

1 minute ago, Jagzeplin said:

ive always waited until my entire mod list was updated before starting a career since many mods add parts that can change after an update and break existing craft saves. so my question is would it be safe to start a career now and add FAR in later or would i risk breaking my save?

All it changes is aero, it won't break the save.  At worst, some rockets & designs may function differently.  So if you have a spaceplane in orbit, you might want to land it first :P

thanks for clearing that up lordcirth. also, i know this isnt a FAR question but since someone brought up SSTO craft i was curious if anyone here knows of any real life SSTO vehicles. when i google SSTO design all i see is KSP stuff. would be interesting to see a real SSTO design in flight

1 hour ago, Jagzeplin said:

thanks for clearing that up lordcirth. also, i know this isnt a FAR question but since someone brought up SSTO craft i was curious if anyone here knows of any real life SSTO vehicles. when i google SSTO design all i see is KSP stuff. would be interesting to see a real SSTO design in flight

There have only ever been two SSTOs.  Neither looked anything like a plane and both stretch the definition.  The first was the Atlas-B during Project Score.  It launched to orbit without dropping any tanks, but did drop a pair of engines on the way to orbit.  What did get to orbit was essentially the entire rocket, minus two of three engines.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCORE_(satellite)

The second was the Apollo lunar assent module.  It launched from a body and did achieve orbit without dropping anything.  That's SSTO, just not on earth.

Some ICBMs are probably capable of getting themselves into orbit with some modifications (reduced payload).  They are, in terms of deltaV, rather close to achieving orbit already.  Atlas was initially an ICBM.  But nothing has yet come close to SSTO+return.

Edited by Sandworm

1 hour ago, Jagzeplin said:

To quote the Wikipedia article on SSTO:
"No Earth-launched SSTO launch vehicles have ever been constructed." 

There have been some proposed designs like SKYLON or the X-33, but we haven't yet developed engines efficient enough for SSTO

Edit: Quotation marks, typo

Edited by Atrius129

36 minutes ago, Sandworm said:

The first was the Atlas-B during Project Score.  It launched to orbit without dropping any tanks, but did drop a pair of engines on the way to orbit.  What did get to orbit was essentially the entire rocket, minus two of three engines.   

That doesn't really qualify it as an SSTO - the engines are a significant proportion of the dry mass.  AFAIK all early Atlas LVs used very light tanks (which are supported by pressure inside them) so dropping tanks wasn't really worth it.

21 minutes ago, Jagzeplin said:

i suspected as much. guess its just not practical/realistic. maybe one day NASA will borrow a design from a KSP gamer :D

No it's because it's easier in ksp and even if hybrid jet/rocket engine technology was available, which it is not, rocket would stil have the upper hand in several areas. Which is probably why the Skylon has so little funding.

5 hours ago, Sandworm said:

The first was the Atlas-B during Project Score.  It launched to orbit without dropping any tanks, but did drop a pair of engines on the way to orbit.  What did get to orbit was essentially the entire rocket, minus two of three engines.   

TIL: About the Atlas-B, and that it used what is referred to as "Stage and a Half Design" (according to it's wiki).

Edited by Atrius129

I would sujest if you really want to push your engineering skills, go install, these

-Far....when its updated

-AJE

-Real solor system/ realisum overhaul...abd its but ton of requirements

-real fuels...i think its a RO requirement but meh

-a life support mod thats realistic...i dont hardly ever use any so (shrugs) can remeber there names

-attampt to make a Realisticly possable SSTO...

-send godly design to nasa

-profit

ps you cant use nerva's.....

pps i should make this a challange XD

Edited by Tidus Klein

I apologize if this question crosses the line (I don't think it does, but some people have a pretty broad line), but would it be possible to subscribe to something to get an email when the 1.2 dev build or release is out?

5 hours ago, dlrk said:

I apologize if this question crosses the line (I don't think it does, but some people have a pretty broad line), but would it be possible to subscribe to something to get an email when the 1.2 dev build or release is out?

It hasn't been mentioned.. Best bet is to come back every few days and see what the OP of this thread says.

I think modders have enough work keeping up with KSP updates as it is, and I suspect setting up an email subscription on top of that would be excessive.

5 hours ago, dlrk said:

check this out:

RFjcz4jl.png

There've been a few first stages that could theoretically reach orbit with a light payload, Elon Musk claimed that of the Falcon 9. But with an expendable launcher there's no point - better to add a second stage in order to launch a lot more payload.

Regarding getting notice about mod updates:

I think Spacedock will do email notification of new releases. That's the best option I reckon.

Next best is probably to set either Spacedock's FAR page or this thread's first page as one of your browser's homepages. Then you'll check any time you start up your browser.

Emails from the forum will be on every post in the thread, not much help.

You can get emails from Github, but I don't know if you can configure it to only get emails about releases. It's not great if you end up with an email every time ferram makes a commit to his development branch.

On 10/16/2016 at 0:49 PM, dlrk said:

Actually, Stardock has a feature that does just that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.