[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

@Ferram4 Thanks for the drag info. Another one sorry - The new cargo bays show "0 parts shielded" when parts are in them and the doors closed. Any tips on this?

Open and close it on the launch pad.

Question: Are the configs for the new "stock Sp+" parts hundred percent proper?

I'm sorry to question Ferram4s work, but with the original Sp+ parts there were some issues apparently. (Strange CoL placement; Model origin not coincident wing root?) Also i'm just asking. I haven't updated yet.

Edited by DaMichel

Alright, v0.14.2 is up, with a ton of new features and 0.25 compatibility.

As a note, FAR will now disable itself on win64 due to the previous stability issues that have only worsened with the 0.25 update.

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!! :mad:

Nooooooooooo!!! ;.;

As a note, FAR will now disable itself on win64 due to the previous stability issues that have only worsened with the 0.25 update.

Yus! you just saved yourself a ton boring reading. I've been waiting for everyone to do this. ;) One day, Win64 will be stable, but not today. :(

Now the real bugs can be sorted from the chaff.

Hi, i've got some strange issues.

1. The plane not flying straight. I had that issue a bit before, but it didn't completely ruin a flight before. Might be more emphasized by the new wing weight, though. Mods are only Kerbal Engineer and Ferram.

Noticed it during flight. First, when accelerating on the runway, the plane usually tries to go right. Then, when accelerating, the apoapsis is slightly right to where the nose is pointing, and the craft seems to be trying to break out to the right. This completely shifted when reaching higher (afair ~mach1) speeds and heights, now the prograde went far to the left, and i had to go right, until the flight got unstable and i entered a death spin.

There is some really small and unexplained shift between center of mass and center of flight, although all parts are centered. This bug also happens in stock, but i don't think FAR should have issues with such a small difference. Stock plane works just fine.

2. Parts inside of a stock bay are shown as not aerodynamically shielded. At least that's what it claims, in flight none of the equipment gets destroyed or seems to influence the flight. The above mentioned issues happen with and without cargo.

Edited by Temeter

2. Parts inside of a stock bay are shown as not aerodynamically shielded. At least that's what it claims, in flight none of the equipment gets destroyed or seems to influence the flight. The above mentioned issues happen with and without cargo.

I saw a few posts ago that you may open and close the bay for that to take effect.

This is likely what is causing your drift, did you test more different designs?

Also, put flaps on position 0 or don't use them and see if the issue persists, flaps often cause such yawing.

I saw a few posts ago that you may open and close the bay for that to take effect.

This is likely what is causing your drift, did you test more different designs?

Also, put flaps on position 0 or don't use them and see if the issue persists, flaps often cause such yawing.

No change with the storage.

For the wings, I never actually used flaps. Tried a new, much better craft, and it also much less issues. Still, there is the nose being a tiny bit left of the apoapsis. Seems like an issue which is really getting emphasized by a bad craft.

Edited by Temeter

Here is where to find settings for the new control surface features:

(Still on 0.24 but it should look the same)

jlunTjD.png

* Flaps and Spoilers now deploy at their own speed. The top image shows where to adjust the deployment speed. Larger(!) values mean slower deployment. I use 0.4, which gives me time to compensate for the changing pitching moments with trim.

* The bottom shows the settings for default action group assignments. I think this is pretty self explanatory. Keep in mind though that this doesn't fix the symmetry AG bug. (Sorry for not using drop down menus. Unity doesn't provide them, so it would be up to the game programmer to implement them :/)

Thanks, i've never took the time to take a closer look at spoiler/flaps in KSP, interesting stuff. The default action group assignment seems to be missing for me, though.

edit: Hm, also made another mistake. The heavy wings lowered the CoM, although they were just 5/10 degree lower on the plane body.

Edited by Temeter

Little bug - the Aero Vis tint doesn't get removed from parachutes, they keep whatever tint they had last. (FAR 0.14.2, KSP 0.25)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I like the tint feature otherwise, it's a pretty cool little thing.

EDIT: More testings show that reboarding after an EVA removes the tint.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

It is sort of a disappointment, that 32-bit KSP is forced upon us if we want to run FAR.

I am sure I am not the only one who didn't have any serious issues with x64 KSP, modded to the point it uses 5.4 Gb RAM. There is no way for me to go back to 32-bit, even with ATM.

I would have expected from one of the most renown mods to offer flexibility for its users, not force us to use a specific version of the game in order to run it. Like a toggle option somewhere in a cfg file.

Then again...I remember the whole ModStatistics fiasco :(

I hope you can understand people who want to at least be able to try running x64 with FAR, Ferram.

Edited by smunisto

FSDeployableAirBrake seems to be much less effective in v14.2, by a factor of ~5. setting the deployedDrag to 20 gives me deployedDrag of 4 in game. is that intentional? or is there a new setting in 14.2 that changed it? Thanks

FSDeployableAirBrake seems to be much less effective in v14.2, by a factor of ~5. setting the deployedDrag to 20 gives me deployedDrag of 4 in game. is that intentional? or is there a new setting in 14.2 that changed it? Thanks

It's an intentional multiplier. Been in Github for about a month; this is the first released version it's appeared in. Brakes that are powerful enough to be useful in higher stock drag feel overpowered in FAR, so they are now multiplied by 0.2. If the brakes you're using are balanced for the older versions of FAR that didn't apply a multiplier and you decide you want to change it on the FAR side, it's on lines 112-119 of FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg.

Anyone want to help me fix this plane? :( While flying straight it has "roll tremors" O_o

KSP 0.25 FAR v0.14.2 ( stock ) https://www.dropbox.com/s/24d4u2cumojve2m/Dagger%20Mk1.craft?dl=0

EDIT: Ok I thnk I got it, at least so far no more sudden bank on the left or right, I had overlapped two new "Elevon 4" in the tail.... overlapped control surfaces bad :D , somehow even if they were only set for pitch, induced some unexpected consequence °_°

nope I still have the issue :(

It's an intentional multiplier. Been in Github for about a month; this is the first released version it's appeared in. Brakes that are powerful enough to be useful in higher stock drag feel overpowered in FAR, so they are now multiplied by 0.2. If the brakes you're using are balanced for the older versions of FAR that didn't apply a multiplier and you decide you want to change it on the FAR side, it's on lines 112-119 of FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg.

Gotcha, I've never balanced anything without FAR so it was a bit of a surprise after I installed 14.2. Thanks

It is sort of a disappointment, that 32-bit KSP is forced upon us if we want to run FAR.

I am sure I am not the only one who didn't have any serious issues with x64 KSP, modded to the point it uses 5.4 Gb RAM. There is no way for me to go back to 32-bit, even with ATM.

And if .25 Win x64 were as stable as .24, we wouldn't have locked things down. It's not.

I think I am missing something here, look like I am getting a lot more drag than 0.24, what are the changes made to the wings? I have read something about tweakable weight on wings? Can you explain me NathanKell? Thanks :)

I got a strange bug on ksp linux x64. FAR breaks my rocket when physics loads. Sometimes it can just explode a couple of parts and threw pod in air, sometimes it launches pod FTL (float.maxValue?). My question: what the Fu..? And how fix it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.