[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

My Aero Analyisis isnt updating with different flap settings, even though the flaps change angles withing the hangar.

EDIT: And the flaps are NOT moving on the runway, though they still funtion as control surfaces.

Edited by Rakaydos

@Camacha: Handwavy quick scaling up without serious treatment. Fluid interfaces are something of a pain to do right.

Even professional simulation software often does one or the other, but no interfaces, so I figured as much. Good to know how it works (and does not work), that should make debugging craft a little easier.

@mecki: Yeah, I have. Why would I include it if I didn't? Obviously, you're running something else that's breaking it.

@Alewx: Yes, if you start spinning on reentry, it will not damp out as quickly as stock KSP. Otherwise, I don't know what you're talking about.

@Rakayados: Installation error, probably. Reinstall it, following the directions exactly.

Skin friction drag now varies with Reynolds number; this means much higher skin friction drags at higher altitudes

Is it just me or did this change massively increase drag at higher altitudes?

In the last version I could get to 1,500-1,600 m/s on jets without too much of an issue, but now I struggle to break 1250 m/s on even the lightest planes. In previous versions, it also felt like after I stopped my rocket burn I could coast into space and only lose about 1km off my AP, while now, I'll easily lose 5+km of altitude.

Is it just me or did this change massively increase drag at higher altitudes?

In the last version I could get to 1,500-1,600 m/s on jets without too much of an issue, but now I struggle to break 1250 m/s on even the lightest planes. In previous versions, it also felt like after I stopped my rocket burn I could coast into space and only lose about 1km off my AP, while now, I'll easily lose 5+km of altitude.

I experienced the same. In 0.25 I would gravity turn slowly to 30km, where I would lock it at a 5 degree inclination until my apoapsis hit 85km. Normally I would then be able to coast up to about 80-82, but now it falls way back into the atmosphere. Funnily enough it didn't cost me that much more DeltaV than earlier, it just required a bit of a steeper incline (10-15 degrees) and a bit more maintenance during ascent.

@cantab: Only to parts that are underwater or very close to the water; it actually linearly scales up from air density to water density from -1 m to 1 m, measured relative to SL. Makes for a very smooth transition, and no serious issues; I may make the transition region smaller in the future if it makes things behave better.

@velusip: Good to hear, I haven't been able to test it myself, so I had to do it 2nd-hand. Good to know that so far there aren't any people still suffering from the issue.

@Empiro: Yeah, that sounds about right. Perhaps for the rocket it's a tiny bit too much, since you're technically getting in the region where continuum flow breaks down, but otherwise it's more accurate than what we had before.

@mecki: Yeah, I have. Why would I include it if I didn't? Obviously, you're running something else that's breaking it.

@Alewx: Yes, if you start spinning on reentry, it will not damp out as quickly as stock KSP. Otherwise, I don't know what you're talking about.

@Rakayados: Installation error, probably. Reinstall it, following the directions exactly.

Ok thanks, that was right what I wanted to know.

@ferram4 Sorry – I wasn't sure if .90 changed something in the behavior of how the Montauk flew itself.

I only have DeadlyReentry within the list of the mods that I could imagine interfered…

It seems that I have a problem with FAR right-click info (specifically part shielding) - it does not appear in VAB\SPH. It DOES appear in flight, though.

Mods list:

- ATM

- DRE

- FAR

- KIDS

- KJR

- KW Rocketry

- Mechjeb (latest dev version, #364 at the moment of writing)

- Modular Rocket Systems

- NovaPunch

- ProcFairings

- Taurus HCV

- RLA Stockalike

- Serious Kerbal Businness

- Station Science

- Tantares (both spacecraft and launcher packs)

- Sounding Rockets

Oh, and all are latest, 0.90 versions, except KW Rocketry (but I doubt that parts-only mod would break FAR)

Edited by biohazard15

1) Download v.14.5

2) Delete FAR + Modulemanager

3) Move v14.5 and modulemanager into Gameata folder

4) Start KSP from steam

Still having inactive flaps. Do I need to reinstall KSP?

This may be another case of user error, but I'm noticing massive amounts of drag in the upper atmosphere. I've tried a number of planes with both stock and mod parts, made sure not use any cargobays, or janky stuff that can get in the way. Looking at the drag indicator at low-level flight, shows a bright nose, with everything else being much dimmer, and during my ascent through the lower to middle atmosphere, the flight characteristics bear that out.

However, when I get into the upper atmosphere, get up to Mach 7+, and push my Ap up to 120k, the plane is now a solid yellow mass of draginess. Is that a word? :sticktongue: I have to keep burning more fuel to keep the Ap up. Most recently, at a height of 55 km, I finished another burn to raise up the Ap, and kept the nose prograde. In about ten seconds, the Ap had dropped from 120k to 84k. This happening with any plane, in any configuration, and the excessive drag is only present in the upper reaches of the atmosphere.

Hope that makes sense. Is this a FAR issue, or my issue? Anyone else experiencing this?

When I use the FAR Analysis in VAB, and input an altitude and mach in Data+Stability Derivatives, the window becomes blank except for a bunch of overlapping text in the upper left corner.

Are others having the same problem? Else I can look for a conflict with other mods.

I also have two FAR icons in the VAB. I deleted my whole GameData folder before updating to 0.90 so there isn't an old version there or anything.

Edited by innociv

When I use the FAR Analysis in VAB, and input an altitude and mach in Data+Stability Derivatives, the window becomes blank except for a bunch of overlapping text in the upper left corner.

Are others having the same problem? Else I can look for a conflict with other mods.

Are you entering altitude in kilometres or metres?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.